2023-2024 EPL Season

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know you didn't make it, but it's almost like they used teenagers specifically to cherrypick the distribution of minutes, because United's minutes to "young players" continues to drop off when you add in players in their young 20s. Whereas Arsenal and City have a lot of minutes for 22/23 year old players, Liverpool have a lot for 21/23 year old players, and Chelsea and Spurs have a lot for 21/22/23 year old players.

From an Arsenal fan perspective, our entire core is ages 22-26, and I imagine we're towards the low-end of average age for starters, so I'm not worried about teenager minutes.

In all competitions this season (per Transfermarkt):
  • U20 Minutes: United (4,843), Chelsea (3,384), Liverpool (2,763), City (2,443), Spurs (101), Arsenal (81)
  • U21 Minutes: Chelsea (8,829), Liverpool (8,713), United (7,769), City (4,335), Spurs (4,237), Arsenal (81)
  • U22 Minutes: Chelsea (16,652), Liverpool (8,713), United (8,135), Spurs (8,018), City (6,974), Arsenal (5,825)
  • U23 Minutes: Chelsea (22,156), City (14,071), Liverpool (12,979), Spurs (11,475), Arsenal (10,511), United (8,135)
Well the stat is literally "teens" as in players in -teens. It's nota new stat that has just been shown, I've seen similar in previous years. FIY, Garnacho and Mainoo alone amount to,IIRC, 3370 minutes.

Reactions: luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Well the stat is literally "teens" as in players in -teens. It's nota new stat that has just been shown, I've seen similar in previous years. FIY, Garnacho and Mainoo alone amount to,IIRC, 3370 minutes.
Yeah, I understand the stat you posted and I'm not disputing it. I'm just saying the clickbaity tag line of "Man United have nearly 3x the amount of minutes to teenagers than the rest of the top 6 teams (exploding head emoji)" exaggerates United's reliance on young players. They actually give less minutes to U23 players than the rest of the big6 teams.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, I understand the stat you posted and I'm not disputing it. I'm just saying the clickbaity tag line of "Man United have nearly 3x the amount of minutes to teenagers than the rest of the top 6 teams (exploding head emoji)" exaggerates United's reliance on young players. They actually give less minutes to U23 players than the rest of the big6 teams.
Also it's literally just two players.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, in liverpool defense both of their u20/teenager players most likely to feature with the main team got long term injuries (Doak, Bajcetic), otherwise they would have way more minutes especially Bajcetic.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, in liverpool defense both of their u20/teenager players most likely to feature with the main team got long term injuries (Doak, Bajcetic), otherwise they would have way more minutes especially Bajcetic.
You know, I think we are going to look back and wish we gave Jayden Danns more minutes too. He is going to be really really good

He is putting on a show today for the academy. Bajcetic getting some minutes today too.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Also they are both quality players, and Man United has some other young players that have shown promise. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Man United. I just think the exaggerated comparison was dumb.

But that's just most EPL fan accounts on twitter. Hyperbolic and dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: hatterson

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Also they are both quality players, and Man United has some other young players that have shown promise. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Man United. I just think the exaggerated comparison was dumb.

But that's just most EPL fan accounts on twitter. Hyperbolic and dumb.
Do you know what a teenager means?

Reactions: Jussi

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Do you know what a teenager means?
Yes, I do. Did you even read the post that you reacted to where I said "I understand the stat you posted and I'm not disputing it"?

All I did was provide additional context to it. Man United has two teenagers (18/19) getting minutes, and the rest of the top teams have a bunch of 20/21/22/23 year olds getting a ton of minutes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And Mainoo would have more minutes logged in if not for the pre-season injury.

Höjlund alone would have raised that number if not for injuries.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Höjlund alone would have raised that number if not for injuries.
Ok, but that's true for just about all of these teams. For instance, Arsenal would have more minutes if Timber wasn't injured the entire year.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The simple fact is that United doesn’t have a particularly young ideal starting XI.

They’ve got Garnacho and Mainoo as teenagers. Hojlund as a 21-22 year old (whatever he is). Other than that it’s a lot of “middle age” or older players.

They’re not particularly old, but they’re also not young overall.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The simple fact is that United doesn’t have a particularly young ideal starting XI.

They’ve got Garnacho and Mainoo as teenagers. Hojlund as a 21-22 year old (whatever he is). Other than that it’s a lot of “middle age” or older players.

They’re not particularly old, but they’re also not young overall.
Yeah, I think the issue is that a many of the over 20 year olds didn't pan out this season. Pelistri, Mejbri for example.

Next season(s) could see more teenagers making they're debuts. That U-18 team... Whooped Liverpool 9-1 away last weekend!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Boehly will find a way to grease UEFA enough to slip through unscathed. The whole thing stinks.
Chelsea also might not be in Europe. Even if the get banned for like conference league they aren’t going to give a shit. They’ll thank them for it and go on their way

Reactions: luiginb

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Please keep telling me how Spurs are going to do the business against City / Arsenal.
You get to play them too. And at Anfield. Should be an easy 3 points then.

I'm not sure why you guys get yourselves so worked up over it. Arsenal and City are going to be favored against every team in the league except each other.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You get to play them too. And at Anfield. Should be an easy 3 points then.

I'm not sure why you guys get yourselves so worked up over it. Arsenal and City are going to be favored against every team in the league except each other.
Tbh, I think they likely draw or beat Liverpool if we see what’s been happening of late.

I just don’t understand the defensiveness that occurs whenever anyone doesn’t mention them as a factor or improved or good or whatever.

Your second statement was my point. Spurs have improved a lot, should be happy with the season if they can get to 4th. But they’re a flawed side

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad