2022 University Cup

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From a UNB perspective, perhaps they would rather play the OUA team regardless of how much better they (Ryerson/McGill) may be than Acadia. Playing on Friday night in a hostile environment in front of a full house, against the home team that is familiar with you + played you tough recently….might not be an easy task. I wonder who the Axemen would rather play?

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
From a UNB perspective, perhaps they would rather play the OUA team regardless of how much better they may be than Acadia. Playing on Friday night in a hostile environment in front of a full house, against the home team that is familiar with you + played you tough recently….might not be an easy task. I wonder who the Axemen would rather play?
IMO, Acadia will want to avoid UNB and take their chances with Alberta. Pick your poison, cause it's probably going to bite you!

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Well done!

Not really.
The top 4 spots are allocated, SFX is the "best of the rest" for #5, UBC won 2 playoff rounds for #6, ACA should be #8 but will go to #7 to avoid the Conference match-up, leaving OUA #3 in last spot.
We should see the "real" seeding on Sunday.

Squirrel Forever

Dec 1, 2008
Fredericton, NB
the rules allow teams 5-8 to be moved up to two spots to avoid conference play, convenience, etc. I would like UBC out of ALB bracket which can be done by putting them over X.

I would like to see UNB ranked 1 again and this:

UNB
ALB
OUA1
OUA2
UBC
X
ACA
OUA3

UNB vs. OUA3
OUA2 vs. UBC

ALB. vs. ACA
OUA1 vs. X

Last edited:
Reactions: RED ARMY EAST

Squirrel Forever

Dec 1, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That would be a good seeding but do you think UBC should be ranked higher than SFX?
NO.. but not all about skill at this point, idea is a to separate teams from Area if possible. Moving an AUS2 for a CW2. UBC had a good season, and thus why they changed the rules to allow it. Still gives strong play on both sides IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Ryerson with a 2-1 win over McGill to claim the OUA3 spot. UQTR over Brock 3-1.

Good crowd in Brock from what I can see. A lot of empty seats at Ryerson.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Official seeding still to come, but I think we can safely assume these are the likely first-round matchups:

Alberta vs. Acadia
UNB vs. Ryerson
UQTR vs. UBC
St. FX vs. Brock

Reactions: Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
UBC plays on the second rink for the 2010 olympics .. is that ice surface still Olympic sized ? I have to think that gives them a slight boost they wouldn’t otherwise have , I don’t think it wins them a game based solely off that but it’s a feather in their cap headed to Wolfville.
Edit- easily could have googled this , first year of olympics on NHL ice

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Acadia had a very dissapointing season and are going to be in tough if matched up against Alberta.
Alberta in CanadaWest play, averaged 40 shots, 4.65 goals per game.
Compared with Acadia, who averaged, 29 shots, 2.55 goals per game and more importantly, lost 5 players to pro, including All star goaltender Logan Floodell and quarterback Garett McFadden on the backend.
The Axemen had a 6-15 record in AUS play and dropped the play in game to UdeM, back on March 9.
Since the departure of players to pro, the Axemen went 1-4 in AUS play.
L 3-2 StFX
L 3-2 UNB
W 6-3 Moncton
L 2-0 SMU
L 3-2 Moncton in overtime, play in game.
They are going to have to keep the score down in order to have a chance.
IMO, usually the third AUS team is very competitive at Nationals, but this is probably the weakest host team that I can ever remember coming out of the AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm hearing a rumor that UofA will be ranked #1 and will play Acadia Thursday night because the #1 seed shouldn't have to play 3 in a row.
I looked back at previous times and #1 played on Friday in 2015 and 2016 (SFX and SMU hosting). The next 3 years #1 played on Thursday.

Thoughts?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I'm hearing a rumor that UofA will be ranked #1 and will play Acadia Thursday night because the #1 seed shouldn't have to play 3 in a row.
I looked back at previous times and #1 played on Friday in 2015 and 2016 (SFX and SMU hosting). The next 3 years #1 played on Thursday.

Thoughts?
The host committee, should have the flexibility to chose wether they play Thursday or Friday night.
Didn't Alberta complain in Lethbridge as well, maybe this is why they played Thursday night in 2019?
IMO, Alberta shouldn't be the #1 seed, after #2 UNB knocked off #3 X.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, I am not a fan of ranking system, as for instance St FX is not a 5-6 ranked team in this tournament. They are #3 or #4, as UQTR has looked very good in OUA playoffs, but no way should Brock be seeded higher than X.
Also, I agree that #2 should play Thursday.
With UNB, they are ranked #1 all year and didn't lose a playoff game, but fall out of #1 last week, yet beat the #3 seed in X and you would think that they go back to #1?
Now they may have to play 3 games in 3 days, as was the case in Lethbridge to win.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
This is only a Rumor, so don't get upset yet....
Can someone remember the Lethbridge scenario, as I thought that there was talk of bumping the Horns into the #7 seed, which would have avoided a meeting with #1 Alberta and that they would open Friday night vs UNB?
Alberta weren't happy and Sport couldn't justify moving Lethbridge up in the rankings, so they kept the host in the #8 seed and they ended up playing the Bears on Thursday night.
One could argue the same with Acadia, are they good enough to be bumped up to #7 and play the #2 seed on Friday night?

Squirrel Forever

Dec 1, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Worst seeding I have ever seen for UNB.. Day 2, then night game day 3... wow

All of Pool A gets Friday off.. just wow

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think the Lethbridge thing was that they wanted a Friday night game to get a good gate playing UofA. But that didn't happen.

As far as I know there is no "rule" that says the #1 and (probably #2) seed should get a day off between games. This may be an unwritten rule, but I also recall the host committee has some leeway as to when they play to get a better gate.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

But, if UofA and SFX both win, they'll play each other on Sat. That may help UNB should they advance to the final.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Literally the exact same schedule they had in 2019…and that turned out ok.

Also, Pool A has had Friday off since they went to the current format in 2015.

Last edited:

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
The Seeding system is flawed.
We all know it.
There is nothing in the history of USports hockey over the last 20 years to justify having OUA 1 and 2 as the 3rd and 4th seeds every year...with AUS and CW the obviously stronger Conferences.
But the Coaches and Administrators are NOT concerned about treating USports like a Meritocracy!
I get the argument about the seeding, but it's a common thing to reward division champions with a higher seed - this happens in the NHL, NFL, CHL, MLB, and several more leagues. I'd also argue that the road to claim a nationals berth is harder in the OUA (more parity, more teams in the playoffs, no byes, shorter series), so the higher seed seems like a sensible reward.

While the CW and AUS conferences have been undeniably stronger, it's not like the OUA is entirely without merit.

To some degree, the differences between the OUA and the other conferences is cyclical: before Western's win in 2020, the OUA had lost its last 12 games against CW/AUS teams at Nationals. But between 2011-15, the OUA was 10-10 against the other conferences at Nationals. Just something to consider while everyone pencils in the UNB-Alberta final!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad