2022 University Cup

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X gets by SMU 3-2 in overtime and advances to the University Cup. If SMU still had Brett Neumann and Balmas this might have been different outcome?
UNB also advances with a 2-1 win over UdeM in Moncton.

Reactions: dm8895

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Also wondering, if UNB beats X could you justify UBC at 5th over X? I think the ‘birds were ranked higher at times this season, but two losses (one being a blowout) to Alberta in the CW final vs. what would probably be a close loss for X (can’t see the AUS Final being a blowout in either direction) might make it hard.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I see Alberta has moved ahead of UNB to #1 in the latest rankings. Setting up that Alberta/Acadia quarter-final game.

Wonder if a UNB win over #3 X would move them back ahead of the Bears?

Reactions: Drummer

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB as #2 isn’t that bad really.

As #1, UNB vs #8 (OUA3) advance to play the winner of #4 (OUA2) vs #5 SFX
the bottom is
#2 ALB vs #7 ACD advancing to play winner of #3 OUA1 vs #6 UBC

That’s a pretty tough road for UNB and pretty easy one for ALB.

or, if UNB is #2…

#1 ALB vs #8 ACD to advance to play winner of #4 (OUA2) vs #5 SFX
the bottom half is
#2 UNB vs #7 (OUA3) to advance to play winner of #3 (OUA1) vs #6 UBC

This also sets up a East/West Semi instead of EvE and WvW that we had in Lethbridge

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

the bottom is

or, if UNB is #2…

the bottom half is

This also sets up a East/West Semi instead of EvE and WvW that we had in Lethbridge
The AUS rankings are still TBA! We could be seeing a Squirrels v Monkeys semi-final.

IMO they will gerrymander the rankings as much as allowed.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

the bottom is

or, if UNB is #2…

the bottom half is

When mapping out possible matchups for UNB, I think it's worth pointing out that all OUA matchups aren't created equal: UQTR and McGill coule be considerable threats, but it's no guarantee who will be what seed - especially because the winner of their game will not host the Queens Cup (which is the determining factor between OUA1 and OUA2).
If, for instance, UQTR is OUA2, that could be a considerably tougher matchup than, say, Brock as OUA1.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

the bottom is

or, if UNB is #2…

the bottom half is

Agreed - UNB going in at #2 is the preferable path IMO.

Remember we also saw X/UNB and Sask/Alberta semi-finals in 2018 (as well as 2019). It’s clear the committee only tries to ensure non-conference match-ups in the quarter-finals…and doesn’t consider the likelihood of inter-conference match-ups in the semis.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Brock punches their ticket with a 5-2 win over the Rams. The Queen's Cup final will go in St. Catharines on Saturday, Ryerson will host the bronze medal game with a trip to nationals on the line.

Reactions: AUS Fan and Rob

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
UNB could also go in as number 5 seed, X is a solid team.

At end need of day, gotta beat the best to win, getting there is first step.

southsideguy75

Mar 24, 2022
I am personally picking UNB to repeat as champion

I know a lot of people of leaning towards Alberta. Just my opinion but I don’t see the the OUA teams matching up to UNB, Alberta and St Fx. I definitely don’t see Acadia getting by Alberta. UNB has consistently defeated X and Acadia all year. Alberta sounds strong no question about it but so is UNB.

To my knowledge UNB has one of the best defensive tandems in the country, Parenteau GAA is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Yes maybe we aren’t as strong as before, score as many goals as before but we find ways to win having lost few games all year

At the end of the day it’s a game of bounces, turnovers and unpredictability but I still pick the Reds to repeat

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
According to Stauffer UofA has a lot of firepower.

Upsets do happen, not often. Hopefully the seeding will be out Monday/Tuesday and then we can pick our winners.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I feel like we’ve definitely got 2 tiers going in… Alberta , UNB , X and then the other 5. Could be a weaker OUA showing than normal with the amount of guys leaving school at X-mas. UBC is the most intriguing team to me outside of those 3, I have no idea what to expect from them.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pretty sure UBC will only go as far as their goaltending takes them.
OUA teams have certainly had their issues at the UCup in the past, and you gotta think their depleted rosters will make it even more of a challenge this year. But you never know.
Alberta and StFX didn't lose anyone to the pros during the season. That will certainly be a positive factor for them.
UNB has a great team defence, but they have been offensively challenged (by their standards) this season. Some rookies have had trouble scoring; Guay was the best of the bunch before he turned pro. A healthy Keating is the next best of that cohort. Reds need to keep the scores low to win this year.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Pretty sure UBC will only go as far as their goaltending takes them.
OUA teams have certainly had their issues at the UCup in the past, and you gotta think their depleted rosters will make it even more of a challenge this year. But you never know.
Alberta and StFX didn't lose anyone to the pros during the season. That will certainly be a positive factor for them.
UNB has a great team defence, but they have been offensively challenged (by their standards) this season. Some rookies have had trouble scoring; Guay was the best of the bunch before he turned pro. A healthy Keating is the next best of that cohort. Reds need to keep the scores low to win this year.

With the imbalanced schedules, mid-season departures, and single-elimination playoffs ... it's really tough to get a read on the OUA teams other than UQTR clearly being the cream of the crop.
After a few weaker years, UQTR's lineup is back to being deep in QMJHL talent. Their Defence and Goaltending impress.
I'd be shocked if McGill didn't advance as OUA 3. They are deep but seem to lack high-end finishers.
As for Brock ... ???

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Did any of the remaining OUA teams lose much? I seem to remember Ryerson losing a player…but can’t recall with the others??
Ryerson lost two players - D Greg DiTomasso, who would have been in the convo for D-man of the year in the OUA West, and G Luke Peressini, who was in net for Western when they upset USask at the '20 U-Cup, just before it was cancelled. Those were two massive losses.

I think the biggest factor in evaluating the OUA this year is the schedule - as we saw with Queen's, a big record can be misleading based on the relative strength of just a few opponents. Ryerson might also be a victim of that, whereas UQTR is definitely the most tested of the bunch. They'd be my pick for the most dangerous OUA team at Nationals.
Brock plays a heavier, harder style that could be frustrating, but they lack the top-end talent that QTR, McGill, or Ryerson have.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Barring anything "strange" happening the seeding should look like this:

1. UNB (v WINNER of Ryerson/McGill)
2. Alberta (v Acadia)
3. WINNER of Brock/UQTR (v UBC)
4. LOSER of Brock/UQTR (v StFX)
5. StFX
6. UBC
7. Acadia
8. WINNER of Ryerson/McGill

The brackets should be (1-8, 4-5) and (2-7, 3-6).

Reactions: Drummer

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I get wanting to avoid the possible Acadia/UNB match-up….but I don’t see any way the Axemen can be anything but 8th. They finished 6th place and lost their one postseason game…McGill, and Ryerson especially, will have significantly better resumes.

On the other end, gotta think UNB leaps back over Alberta in the computer rankings with a win over the #3 team.

However, with X the likely #5 seed you would have three AUS teams in one bracket, which is not ideal.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how this plays out…you can only manipulate the seeding so much before you compromise the integrity of the tournament.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes