WJC: 2022 Switzerland roster talk

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He was brutal as always but he wasn't the difference. The 2nd one and the last 2 were very stoppable and I think Patenaude has those. But of the other four, one was an unlucky pinball, two were great deflections by the Americans and one was clearly on Zanetti who was really bad all game. Pasche also made a few good stops in the first, particularly on a clean breakaway. And two of the three bad goals he gave up he let in late when it was over already. So you can't say it was his fault.

I didn't think he was any good against the Swedes either. I am not sure what the Flyers were thinking when they drafted him. I don't think he would have been picked if he was eligible in a year that wasn't as much effected by the covid pandemic. Sidler was not impressive against Sweden either on another note. Especially in his role as PP quarterback he was lackluster but he had some defensive mishaps too. With Delemont hurt it seems the defense has totally eroded at this point. This makes the omissions of Bichsel and Meier look even worse in hindsight. Especially in Meiers case who is apparently just not good enough to be on this roster. Sometimes I feel like a 12 year old with access to elitepropects.com could put together a better team than Bayer.

Edit: I just noticed that Delemont is back apparently. There is still no way to think Meier would not be better than any dman on this team except maybe Delemont himself.

Ritzmann must have nude pictures or even footage of Bayer or one of the other clowns. Like in game 1 the rest of the TOI's seemed reasonable but Ritzmann played almost 20mins, Garessus (who didn't even play game 1) just a bit over 7.

Now thats a mental image I dindn't need to have. I wish I could "unsee" it now :D

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
How did delemont play yesterday?
I don't think he was anywhere near 100%. He didn't seem to move all that well and didn't do anything to create offense. Only played 16 something minutes. He played solid defense though. Was on the ice on the first goal against and the shot even deflected off him but he's not the first I'd blame for the goal. USA was on the PP, Zanetti lost yet another the board battle and the forwards didn't backcheck at all.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I don't think he was anywhere near 100%. He didn't seem to move all that well and didn't do anything to create offense. Only played 16 something minutes. He played solid defense though. Was on the ice on the first goal against and the shot even deflected off him but he's not the first I'd blame for the goal. USA was on the PP, Zanetti lost yet another the board battle and the forwards didn't backcheck at all.
All right maybe he should’ve paused for another game to be fit against the germans but idk haven’t seen the game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'll be honest, I didn't really pay too much attention since the game was pretty much over after 40' so only now, looking at the game summary, I see they actually brought in Patenaude for the last 20'. In my view an absolute idiot move. The game was over and realistically, just one of the shots let in was stoppable. He's still a poor goalie but Bayer knew that (well, probably not) already when he started Pasche.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I'll be honest, I didn't really pay too much attention since the game was pretty much over after 40' so only now, looking at the game summary, I see they actually brought in Patenaude for the last 20'. In my view an absolute idiot move. The game was over and realistically, just one of the shots let in was stoppable. He's still a poor goalie but Bayer knew that (well, probably not) already when he started Pasche.
But was pasche slways this bad? also when he was the clear starter for the u18 team?

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
But was pasche slways this bad? also when he was the clear starter for the u18 team?

Not mutch consistency in the U18 team in the limited games I saw and remember. Sometimes he had very strong periods but let in a couple of softies in the next one. All in all I would say he was among the lesser junior goalies in the last few years. Certainly worse than Patenaude, Fatton, Schmid, Hollenstein and JVP.

Reactions: Hinterland

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Not mutch consistency in the U18 team in the limited games I saw and remember. Sometimes he had very strong periods but let in a couple of softies in the next one. All in all I would say he was among the lesser junior goalies in the last few years. Certainly worse than Patenaude, Fatton, Schmid, Hollenstein and JVP.
Okey thanks. But i guess he will be our starter in the winter because i don’t who would be when not him. Maybe Beglieri but can’t think of someone else who’s better than Pasche. That’s probably why he was always starting for the u18 last year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Okey thanks. But i guess he will be our starter in the winter because i don’t who would be when not him. Maybe Beglieri but can’t think of someone else who’s better than Pasche. That’s probably why he was always starting for the u18 last year.
Sadly, yes. At that level and age, the situation can change quickly but at the moment it doesn't look good. I think Kloten's promotion probably didn't help Niels Riesen's chances but with Müller's injury, I hope Kilian Bernasconi is gonna play NL. He should normally be Ambri's nr.4. With Müller out, he's the nr.3 and if there's another injury/sickness or if Ambri wants to play all 6 import defenders/forwards then suddenly, Bernasconi could get into games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I didn't think he was any good against the Swedes either. I am not sure what the Flyers were thinking when they drafted him. I don't think he would have been picked if he was eligible in a year that wasn't as much effected by the covid pandemic. Sidler was not impressive against Sweden either on another note. Especially in his role as PP quarterback he was lackluster but he had some defensive mishaps too. With Delemont hurt it seems the defense has totally eroded at this point. This makes the omissions of Bichsel and Meier look even worse in hindsight. Especially in Meiers case who is apparently just not good enough to be on this roster. Sometimes I feel like a 12 year old with access to elitepropects.com could put together a better team than Bayer.

Edit: I just noticed that Delemont is back apparently. There is still no way to think Meier would not be better than any dman on this team except maybe Delemont himself.

Now thats a mental image I dindn't need to have. I wish I could "unsee" it now :D
I don't know if Meier and Bichsel are that much better than the guys on the roster. Maybe they'd be more dynamic and could hold onto pucks longer, create more offense. But the guys on the roster are normally all very solid as well. Including Zanetti.

I like him as a player but he was just nowhere near good enough in game 2. Took two penalties and two of his lost battles led to goals against. Was de facto scratched in the 3rd period so even Bayer and his clowns noticed. I believe he only played a good minutes, like 2 or 3 shifts. Don't be surprised if he's replaced by Nick Meile for game 3.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Sadly, yes. At that level and age, the situation can change quickly but at the moment it doesn't look good. I think Kloten's promotion probably didn't help Niels Riesen's chances but with Müller's injury, I hope Kilian Bernasconi is gonna play NL. He should normally be Ambri's nr.4. With Müller out, he's the nr.3 and if there's another injury/sickness or if Ambri wants to play all 6 import defenders/forwards then suddenly, Bernasconi could get into games.
Is bernasconi any good don’t really know him?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is bernasconi any good don’t really know him?
Because of an injury he didn't even play two full SL games in total but I liked what I saw. Big athletic kid who didn't allow any soft goals. And that was in early 2021, not last season. 2021/2022, Ambri's U20 team was clearly better with than without him, if you compare win/loss records. He was certainly a lot better than Jaks Jr. who was the one getting SL action last season. With a bit of luck, I could see Bernasconi get into NL games this year. We know Ambri isn't afraid of playing kids.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Because of an injury he didn't even play two full SL games in total but I liked what I saw. Big athletic kid who didn't allow any soft goals. And that was in early 2021, not last season. 2021/2022, Ambri's U20 team was clearly better with than without him, if you compare win/loss records. He was certainly a lot better than Jaks Jr. who was the one getting SL action last season. With a bit of luck, I could see Bernasconi get into NL games this year. We know Ambri isn't afraid of playing kids.
That’s right unfortunately they have like many others a foreign Goalie. This is off topic but for goalies i fully support going to the CHL or Sweden since there will defenitly no chances to play in the NL.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I don't know if Meier and Bichsel are that much better than the guys on the roster. Maybe they'd be more dynamic and could hold onto pucks longer, create more offense. But the guys on the roster are normally all very solid as well. Including Zanetti.

I like him as a player but he was just nowhere near good enough in game 2. Took two penalties and two of his lost battles led to goals against. Was de facto scratched in the 3rd period so even Bayer and his clowns noticed. I believe he only played a good minutes, like 2 or 3 shifts. Don't be surprised if he's replaced by Nick Meile for game 3.

If you look at how bad the PP has been that would already be an assest in itself. Sure Bichsel and Meier anrent your ideal PP QB types but they are certainly more qualified than Dionicio and Sidler. Maybe in the case of Sidler not in general but certainly with his current play. Dinoicio on the other hand skates like molasses but is still relied upon to carry the puck in the ozone. Also Bichsel was by far the best defensive defenseman in the lone WJC game in the Winter. As for Meier he has the most pro experinece out of every player on the roster and has the best offensive abilities. Both of them could eat 20+ minutes in every game easily and be relied upon in every situation. Do you really think guys like Streule, Nussbuamer, Despont and Meile are currently even close to their level? I would argue that with both of them in the lineup we might have beaten the Swedes and would certainly have an easier time against the germans. Having good depth on D can absolutely improve the performance of a WJC team. Especially the 2019 team with Moser, Berni, and Aebischer on the blue line was emblematic for this.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
So with the loss against germany i think we can look at this tournament as officially finished for Switzerland. If we manage to win against Austria what definitely should be possible we get last place in the group which means we get canada in the quarters and i don’t see us having even a small chance to win that.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
A bit off topic but Rochette returns to the Q i don’t really get why but most likely because lausanne isn’t willing to giv anybody except foreigners ice time.

Better chance at getting an AHL contract and plenty of icetime by playing in the Q and his GF is in Quebec. There's also a sense of unfinished business in Quebec after they lost in the semi-final. They are going for the Cup.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Better chance at getting an AHL contract and plenty of icetime by playing in the Q and his GF is in Quebec. There's also a sense of unfinished business in Quebec after they lost in the semi-final. They are going for the Cup.

Mystery solved, the Ragazza strikes once again.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Couldn’t watch the austria game i was only able to tune in for the last 5 minutes. Just saw the GWG and the rest. How did they play? When i was watching it seemed like they were in control but of course they had powerplay. And the game misconduct.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Couldn’t watch the austria game i was only able to tune in for the last 5 minutes. Just saw the GWG and the rest. How did they play? When i was watching it seemed like they were in control but of course they had powerplay. And the game misconduct.
They played as poorly as always. All in all it was a pretty lucky win. The Austrians love for boardings ended up costing them the game. Those were some seldom dumb penalties you usually see from our players. Patenaude may not have been forced to make any crazy saves but the Austrians hit iron three times I think. Taibel was one of the few brightspots. Did gift the Austrians a goal with his turnover but made up for it by scoring a goal himself and a very strong game overall. Ritzmann was very good as well, so was Allenspach. The rest was either invisible or underwhelming.

If we want to keep the game vs Canada close for more than a couple of minutes we'll need much more from the rest of the 02 guys.

Reactions: Kuracmugger

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Also i know from a very reliable source what was said to Noah Meier that he isn’t on the team. The explanation was that they(the swiss team) already have enough defenders for the power play so there was no need for him in their view.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Also i know from a very reliable source what was said to Noah Meier that he isn’t on the team. The explanation was that they(the swiss team) already have enough defenders for the power play so there was no need for him in their view.
Yeah. I mean the PP has been epic this tournament. No way to improve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad