WJC: 2022 Switzerland roster talk

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I feel like Frey/Leuenberger are probably more likely to hire another "big shot" if available. They seem to prefer to hire coaches that already have some reputation like Hartley, Crawford, Del Curto and now Grönborg. So I am not sure if Liniger is going to get a fair shot with the first team. But as long as the group around Fischer/Weibel etc. have their claws in the federation nothing is going to happen there anyway. The only way things could start to change is if Fischer gets fired as head coach of the NT. But thats at least two more quarter final losses away at this point.
That’s true but i am pretty sure i have heard that Liniger will be the new NL Coach. If he was the new coach i am sure there will be finally u20 players on the zsc roster.

Ah yeah. Liniger is promising indeed. You tend to forget about him because he's coaching a farmteam but he actually does a good job with the kids and GCK sometimes can be very hard to beat. Certainly looks like a well coached team. Liniger could be coaching NL already but wanted to stay with the Lions for family reasons. Still only 42 so very young for a head coach. You wonder if he's gonna be available though. Looks destined to take over the big club once Grönborg is gone.
I am sure i have heard he will take over but I’m not 100% sure he actually will. Would definitely like him on the NT.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
That’s true but i am pretty sure i have heard that Liniger will be the new NL Coach. If he was the new coach i am sure there will be finally u20 players on the zsc roster.

I am sure i have heard he will take over but I’m not 100% sure. Would definitely like him on the NT.

I am not following the Lions very closely in general and was just going by what they did in the past. It will probably still depend on who is on the market whenever they fire Grönborg, if they fire him in the first place.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I am not following the Lions very closely in general and was just going by what they did in the past. It will probably still depend on who is on the market whenever they fire Grönborg, if they fire him in the first place.
I do i am a zurich fan and i am pretty sure i heard that maybe from one of my coaches. But you’re right they would rather take any big name on the market instead of a swiss option. Same as with players.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I feel like Frey/Leuenberger are probably more likely to hire another "big shot" if available. They seem to prefer to hire coaches that already have some reputation like Hartley, Crawford, Del Curto and now Grönborg. So I am not sure if Liniger is going to get a fair shot with the first team. But as long as the group around Fischer/Weibel etc. have their claws in the federation nothing is going to happen there anyway. The only way things could start to change is if Fischer gets fired as head coach of the NT. But thats at least two more quarter final losses away at this point.
They're not dumb. They know Liniger isn't gonna reject many more NL offers and they know how good he is.

Also, Leuenberger is kind of forcing Grönborg to play certain youngsters more. Grönborg only has one more year left on his deal and I'm not sure if he wants to stay under those conditions. Leuenberger is a smart hockey mind. He knows the entire junior/farm system is pointless if those guys ultimately never get a fair chance. That's why he's serious about playing the kids. He knows Liniger is gonna do it while a foreign coach might not even be willing to accept those conditions. I could be wrong but all signs point towards Liniger getting a chance.

Reactions: Kuracmugger

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
They're not dumb. They know Liniger isn't gonna reject many more NL offers and they know how good he is.

Also, Leuenberger is kind of forcing Grönborg to play certain youngsters more. Grönborg only has one more year left on his deal and I'm not sure if he wants to stay under those conditions. Leuenberger is a smart hockey mind. He knows the entire junior/farm system is pointless if those guys ultimately never get a fair chance. That's why he's serious about playing the kids. He knows Liniger is gonna do it while a foreign coach might not even be willing to accept those conditions. I could be wrong but all signs point towards Liniger getting a chance.

I read about the whole "youth group" concept too with guys like Henry, Meier etc. beeing attached to it. But it didn't seem that strict of a rule from the article I read. The way I understood it Grönborg only has to play the youngsters if veteran players get hurt. And even in that case he can still play other veterans if he has permission from Leuenberger on a case to case basis. But you are right it could be at least an indicator that Leuenberger would look for a coach that actually plays the prospects if they decide to fire the swede. But again if Gröborg wins the championship this year he might very well stay for the foreseeable future.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I read about the whole "youth group" concept too with guys like Henry, Meier etc. beeing attached to it. But it didn't seem that strict of a rule from the article I read. The way I understood it Grönborg only has to play the youngsters if veteran players get hurt. And even in that case he can still play other veterans if he has permission from Leuenberger on a case to case basis. But you are right it could be at least an indicator that Leuenberger would look for a coach that actually plays the prospects if they decide to fire the swede. But again if Gröborg wins the championship this year he might very well stay for the foreseeable future.
I don't think they're gonna fire him but I'm not sure there's desire from either side to renew that contract...pretty much no matter how the season goes. I think they both honor that contract and then each get a good fresh start.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Simon Knak will most likely be Captain. Don't know about the assistants though. Sidler and Fahrni would be my guesses...
I would go with those guesses too. I can’t really imagine any othe players. Maybe delemont but yeah those three will be the one‘s IMO.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Probably the first time I ever agree with Klaus Zaugg:

In general the "chronicler" is right here for a change. I don't agree with him when he puts the "blame" on Bayer and his ego alone. This was a decision from the federation and especially "GM" Lars Weibel primarily.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I honestly don't know who's beside that decision, so I won't comment on that.
And he's not right on other stuff, other nations are missing key players also (SVK, GER, AUT) with the difference that those players declined generally while Bichsel would have joined the team (with a small break which is completly understandable).

And the stuff about Reto Von Arx is bullshit, too. ;)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In general the "chronicler" is right here for a change. I don't agree with him when he puts the "blame" on Bayer and his ego alone. This was a decision from the federation and especially "GM" Lars Weibel primarily.
They're all Fischer's slaves. They do whatever he says. Weibel included. But even if not, this surely wasn't Bayer's idea who, don't forget about that, got the job because he, unlike Paterlini, was willing to act as dummy head coach for Fischer. Bayer has nothing to say. He's an idiot but I don't believe for one second that this was his idea.

Also, Zaugg makes it sound as if it was a genius move from Fischer to pubicly execute Malgin via Media. I can only shake my head reading this bs. The fool should consider himself lucky Malgin didn't show him the middle finger when he needed him. That's what I'd have done if I was him.

I also disagree this team desperately needs Bichsel. He's of course the most talented kid we have right now and he's also better than the defenders on the roster but those guys are all solid as well and I don't think it's gonna make much of a difference performance wise. It was a big mistake not to pick Bichsel but it's not like they'd have won a medal or even more games with him. Surely not coached by this braindead Bayer clown.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They're all Fischer's slaves. They do whatever he says. Weibel included. But even if not, this surely wasn't Bayer's idea who, don't forget about that, got the job because he, unlike Paterlini, was willing to act as dummy head coach for Fischer. Bayer has nothing to say. He's an idiot but I don't believe for one second that this was his idea.

Also, Zaugg makes it sound as if it was a genius move from Fischer to pubicly execute Malgin via Media. I can only shake my head reading this bs. No it wasn't. It wasn't just dumb, it's also something you just don't do. The fool should finally grow up and should consider himself lucky Malgin didn't show him the middle finger when he needed him. That's what I'd have done if I was him.

I also disagree this team desperately needs Bichsel. He's of course the most talented kid we have right now and he's also better than the defenders on the roster but those guys are all solid as well and I don't think it's gonna make much of a difference performance wise. It was a big mistake not to pick Bichsel but it's not like they'd have won a medal or even more games with him. Surely not coached by this braindead Bayer clown.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
And he's not right on other stuff, other nations are missing key players also (SVK, GER, AUT) with the difference that those players declined generally while Bichsel would have joined the team (with a small break which is completly understandable).

So basically we have to conclude that at sizable part of his statements are wrong after all wich puts this article in line with his usual work. The only question now is: Has Noah Patenaude decided to become U20 champion despite the absence of his minister of defense?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
They're all Fischer's slaves. They do whatever he says. Weibel included.

I don't know exactly what the power dynamic between Weibel and Fischer is looking in from the outside. At the very least you say that they agree on almost eveything that concerns the national teams. I just wanted to point out that the decision wasn't made by Bayer alone but that other people in the federation were involved. I mentioned Weibel in paricular because it was him that talked with Bichsels team before the decision was made and he also was responsible for how the omission was communicated with the media. That Fischer was involved in this "affair" at the very least on an indirect, but most likely on an immediate level, is a given.

I also disagree this team desperately needs Bichsel. He's of course the most talented kid we have right now and he's also better than the defenders on the roster but those guys are all solid as well and I don't think it's gonna make much of a difference performance wise.
Thats probably true. Bichsel is not going to get wins against the US and Sweden by himself. And against the other teams we are competitive without him. 2 way dmen that lean slightly on the defensive side like Bichsel aren't as impactful to underdog teams like forwards in the mold of Niederreiter, Meier, Hischier or even Kurashev. Those players can usually tilt the scales significantly in a tournament like this. But if you combine Bichsels absence with the other omissions including Noah Meier, Rochette and to a lesser extent Hofer and Cavalleri that you have mentioned the other day, the team is certainly not as good as it could have been. With all the best players available we would have at least the game against the Germans pretty much in the bag already. And maybe an upset wouldn't be out of reach either.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Well, Kings top prospect and OHL allstar Brandt Clarke didn't decline but Hockey Canada decided not to add him to their roster despite losing Owen Power, Kaden Guhle and Daemon Hunt on defense. We're not the only ones making stupid decisions:laugh:

Of course Canada is still favourite even without Clarke but none of their defenders are nearly as good or talented as Clarke.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Well, Kings top prospect and OHL allstar Brandt Clarke didn't decline but Hockey Canada decided not to add him to their roster despite losing Owen Power, Kaden Guhle and Daemon Hunt on defense. We're not the only ones making stupid decisions:laugh:

Of course Canada is still favourite even without Clarke but none of their defenders are nearly as good or talented as Clarke.
I feel like there are many names missing on all rosters and the quality of this tournament won’t be as good as in the winter.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I don't know exactly what the power dynamic between Weibel and Fischer is looking in from the outside. At the very least you say that they agree on almost eveything that concerns the national teams. I just wanted to point out that the decision wasn't made by Bayer alone but that other people in the federation were involved. I mentioned Weibel in paricular because it was him that talked with Bichsels team before the decision was made and he also was responsible for how the omission was communicated with the media. That Fischer was involved in this "affair" at the very least on an indirect, but most likely on an immediate level, is a given.

Thats probably true. Bichsel is not going to get wins against the US and Sweden by himself. And against the other teams we are competitive without him. 2 way dmen that lean slightly on the defensive side like Bichsel aren't as impactful to underdog teams like forwards in the mold of Niederreiter, Meier, Hischier or even Kurashev. Those players can usually tilt the scales significantly in a tournament like this. But if you combine Bichsels absence with the other omissions including Noah Meier, Rochette and to a lesser extent Hofer and Cavalleri that you have mentioned the other day, the team is certainly not as good as it could have been. With all the best players available we would have at least the game against the Germans pretty much in the bag already. And maybe an upset wouldn't be out of reach either.
I would see an upset with a team like that but yeah we have to stick to team we have now. The only missing player you named i think has deserved to not play to a certain degree is theo Rochette. If we‘d let him play now he would almost have „power“ over the federation. And it would be looking desperate for good players. But would’ve liked him on the team. Guess when he turned his back on Switzerland we were able to curse him with the swiss draft year stagnation curse so he won’t be rakitic number 2.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I would see an upset with a team like that but yeah we have to stick to team we have now. The only missing player you named i think has deserved to not play to a certain degree is theo Rochette. If we‘d let him play now he would almost have „power“ over the federation. And it would be looking desperate for good players. But would’ve liked him on the team. Guess when he turned his back on Switzerland we were able to curse him with the swiss draft year stagnation curse so he won’t be rakitic number 2.

I think its a valid opinion if you don't want to select him anymore because he forced the nation change a few years ago on his own initiative. The federation was however ready to let this go and ivited him to the tournament in 2020. Rochette then declined this invitation because he feared he would loose a large part of his draft season as a consequence of the strict covid quarantine rules. This is the reason he wasn't selceted this winter and isn't selected now. Again if the federation would snub him on account of the nation change I would be fine with it but declining to play in 2020 is somewhat understandable because it was such an unprecedented situation and nobody knew what was going to happen.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Does Switzerland still have 1 D cut to come? Looks like they had 9 D rostered and haven’t heard of a final cut yet?

All other rosters appear to be final now.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018

Calling a game between german and swiss U20 a sure win for either side is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Especially when no side does have any special player

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Calling a game between german and swiss U20 a sure win for either side is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Especially when no side does have any special player

There are no 100% certainties. But we would have been the clear favourites with our best possible roster vs the team germany is going to have. Depth is a thing too in hockey. But to americans and canadians every euro player not drafted in the two rounds looks the same I guess.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
There are no 100% certainties. But we would have been the clear favourites with our best possible roster vs the team germany is going to have. Depth is a thing too in hockey. But to americans and canadians every euro player not drafted in the two rounds looks the same I guess.
But i have to agree the rosters aren’t really exciting we’ve only got simon knak 6th round pick and brian Zanetti 4th round pick but i still don’t really see why he was drafted…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad