2022 QMJHL Draft

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
the players that I’m excited to see the most are Daigle and poirier, I think both will have a strong impact in the Q. I’m also curious on whether many 05s will be taken this draft after having a chance to be seen this season.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Yes, and Shortall can still play a couple years there, Squires as well. I actually have in mind that they'll try to pick Poirier and then Kearsey with their second first rounder. Their defense would be set with that.
I am with Wintersun on this one, I would move to Poirier as well over a D or a Goalie. Cape is sitting pretty good in net at the moment and honestly D'Aigle as good as he is right now, a goal scorer with some speed is what cape needs most. There will be some very solid D prospects still available at #11 that they can grab.
Now, if Chic comes calling and is super excited about getting D'Aigle so he is off the table for Victo, this will muddy the waters a bit depending on what they are willing to give up to move to #1.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Will all future Q drafts now be hosted online?
I think they might. At the Q level I think it's much better to be online anyway.

Getting down the wire. A couple more showcases on the queue for filling out later rounds and then this year will be in the books!!

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I think they might. At the Q level I think it's much better to be online anyway.

Getting down the wire. A couple more showcases on the queue for filling out later rounds and then this year will be in the books!!
The costs associated with the "LIVE" draft are quite high...in a time when revenues are at an all time low, I don't see it moving away from a virtual setting for awhile.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
With the draft right around the corner....how many Atlantic 06's do you see playing in the Q next season. Last year the league started with 9 making opening day rosters, Bowness was added later making 10 total.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
With the draft right around the corner....how many Atlantic 06's do you see playing in the Q next season. Last year the league started with 9 making opening day rosters, Bowness was added later making 10 total.

I suspect not many will make it. A lot of the better ones do not seem Q ready to me. Would assume Phillips and Shields would make it if they decide to go that route. The same can be said about Kearsey. Gill will make it.

Some of the top guys like Kennedy and Arseneault have not yet dominated U18, and Peitzsche and Miller, while they were excellent this season, may need more seasoning before being ready.

Game Smith could be a wildcard I guess, same for Richard.

Those 10 are probably the only potential maritimers to make it, and I suspect maybe half of them actually play in the Q next season.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
That's fair. I think you will also see a group from last year's draft crack line-ups, who will ultimately make teams younger and take some roster spots.
I think anyone drafted outside the 1st round will likely spend another year in U18 or prep.

Last edited:

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021
Any would argue that the “true” Q ready in quebec are also in very limited #

G (1)
D (3)
F (< 10)

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Gill, Philips, Kearsey, Shields, Kennedy and Arsenault are my bets.

Reactions: Nancy

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Gill, Philips, Kearsey, Shields, Kennedy and Arsenault are my bets.
Specific to the D.
I have Haliday ahead of Kearsey and Philips, but that's just me. He was the best D on the Mac's for the last 2 months of the season.
Philips is still solid, but after watching him at the Quebec event, his development has slowed in the past 2 seasons, Haliday has passed him IMO and when that happens at this age...its likely a sign of the trajectory moving forward.
Gill is one level above all 3 of them.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Specific to the D.
I have Haliday ahead of Kearsey and Philips, but that's just me. He was the best D on the Mac's for the last 2 months of the season.
Philips is still solid, but after watching him at the Quebec event, his development has slowed in the past 2 seasons, Haliday has passed him IMO and when that happens at this age...its likely a sign of the trajectory moving forward.
Gill is one level above all 3 of them.
Thought Kearsey was the best defenseman in the whole QMJHL Cup to be honest. Halliday was good. I like him, but I don't think he goes in the first two rounds. Phillips, to me, was a bit disappointing but still has a very nice skillset.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
The next few weeks will be very interresting. A lot can happen with first round picks this year as a few teams have many and other teams like Gatineau and Halifax will trade to boost their lineup. The top 3 seems to be pretty clear (D'Aigle/Poirier/Lavoie) for most people but the order is far from being locked. Can another player sneak in the top 3? It's not impossible.

Not that many contenders for next year. Players like Nadeau, Melanson, Robidas, Kidney can also be moved at the draft. Many overaged players will also get traded. Many discussions between teams at this time and as soon as the President Cup Series will end, we will probably start to hear more about the trades coming at the draft that could impact 2022 picks.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Don't agree with everything, but I think that's a very ''fair'' list. If a team had that list, I would not find it shocking. We seem to like some of the same guys too.

Reactions: Goalie Spec

moncton wildcats

Jun 7, 2022
I think you are missing some good names from the maritimes. And remember a lot of those players you mentioned still have to make Major Midget before they can even be considered. I am not going to say anyone’s name here but i was told by a very good source. That one of the A group kids that you mentioned played in a showcase not long ago on the island and didn’t impressed, looked very timid around the older players and had no drive to his game. either on the forecheck or back check.
That list is gonna change a ton between now and next June.
Two maritime kids that you never mentioned are Cam Taylor from PEI and Brady Croft from Nova Scotia. After leading the U15 Saints last season look for them to be added to this list. John Kay Martin also had a strong year with the U15 Wearwell Bombers from Nova Scotia.
I hate seeing these list posted so soon. We should be at least waiting until the teams are made before we start throwing names around !
I think this Brady Croft is one of the worst hockey players I’ve seen play never passes the puck try’s to rush the puck and fails kid has no potential Keegan dalton has very good potential

hkyNS

May 3, 2022
Halifornia, NS
@moncton wildcats is Probably that guy that loved sentner back again, but who is this croft kid Last week some guy was pumping his tires and now guys are deflating his tires. I also remember the kid's friend was on here and said that croft used HF so calm down and stop calling kids "the worst hockey players"

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
New Eagle's GM went public on his intention to draft Thomas Lavoie with his first pick overall. He just needs to confirm that the kid is willing to join his team. He already compares Lavoie to Noah Dobson.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
New Eagle's GM went public on his intention to draft Thomas Lavoie with his first pick overall. He just needs to confirm that the kid is willing to join his team. He already compares Lavoie to Noah Dobson.

I think William Villeneuve is a more fair comparison for Lavoie personally, which is a pretty solid defenseman. I'm not really surprised however as I'm not sure some of the other top guys were going to commit to Cape Breton anyway.

It seems like a reasonable fit to me, but they will need to get forwards in return for Langlois when they move him in my opinion. They should also look to draft a forward with their other first rounder.

I'd feel very confident in having the following defensemen going forward if I were them:

Daigle - Lavoie
Perron - Shortall
Buteau - X

Nothing wrong with that blue line, you've got size, puck moving ability, physicality, skill and leadership provided by different players.

Their offense really needs a hand though...

Reactions: Prospect Tracker

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
I think William Villeneuve is a more fair comparison for Lavoie personally, which is a pretty solid defenseman. I'm not really surprised however as I'm not sure some of the other top guys were going to commit to Cape Breton anyway.

It seems like a reasonable fit to me, but they will need to get forwards in return for Langlois when they move him in my opinion. They should also look to draft a forward with their other first rounder.

I'd feel very confident in having the following defensemen going forward if I were them:

Daigle - Lavoie
Perron - Shortall
Buteau - X

Nothing wrong with that blue line, you've got size, puck moving ability, physicality, skill and leadership provided by different players.

Their offense really needs a hand though...
I agree. They could also trade one of their 18 years old goalie to improve offence. Shawinigan did it this year with their 19 years old duo but Cap Breton won't go for it in the next two years. When you look at the boost they need upfront, they should seriously consider this option.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Forwards need some help...no question. Squires, Ouellette , Patterson is a nice start, but they need to take a big step forward this coming season as well. Squires is the only 1 of the three who really has his feet wet so to speak.
Moving Langlois and a Goalie will bring you back a nice haul, easily getting 2 solid 17 year forwards and maybe another D prospect.
As for the back end... there will be a 20 year old back there for sure, most are saying its Biakabutuka from the Islanders, so it's getting pretty crowded.
Daigle - Lavoie
Perron - Shortall
Buteau - X
Langlois - Squires - 20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad