2022 QMJHL Draft

PuckGuy902

Jul 12, 2021
Has Mailman made a comment on here not advocating for Pierzche. Was ok nothing special. Man don’t be so obvious. Great to see the best on best head to head. Should change a few lists.

EasternScout

Dec 14, 2021
How do we think the Q cup will affect draft stock? Some guys definitely under performed and some guys performed better than expected. I look at a guy like Tyler Wood, didn’t tally as many points as expected. Will this hurt him a lot? I think the Q cup could play a large role, similar to the world juniors. It could make a break a prospect, thoughts?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
How do we think the Q cup will affect draft stock? Some guys definitely under performed and some guys performed better than expected. I look at a guy like Tyler Wood, didn’t tally as many points as expected. Will this hurt him a lot? I think the Q cup could play a large role, similar to the world juniors. It could make a break a prospect, thoughts?

I will speak for myself. I was there for 3 full days and came out of this with minor tweaks to my lists for the most part. Most players played as expected or close enough. For a guy like Wood, I thought he had a round 3 caliber tournament this weekend. I certainly expected more, but it's not a make or break for anyone out there in my opinion.

If anything, certain prospects cemented their place at the top of the draft. I'm thinking of a guy like Kearsey who might have been the best defenseman overall this weekend.

I think the Q cup will create some ''traps'' for scouts with certain players that may have exceeded expectations, and it could also be a trap the other way around. I still vividly remember Joshua Roy being completely useless during this tournament and look at him today.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
On my way home and will be gather stock but I thought at the top end Poirer will be the #1 forward. Kearsey the #1 D and D’aigle the top Goaltender with the middle one being the surprise for me and the biggest mover. It was a good tournament to level set the leagues and it will help with the draft ordering in that respect.

Reactions: EasternScout

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Moving from 4 Atlantic Teams down to 2 made the games tighter but even with that approach the Quebec teams were still deeper. It did make for more competitive games. The biggest surprise was for me was Atlantic's goaltending over the course of the weekend.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Moving from 4 Atlantic Teams down to 2 made the games tighter but even with that approach the Quebec teams were still deeper. It did make for more competitive games. The biggest surprise was for me was Atlantic's goaltending over the course of the weekend.

I was surprised to a certain extent as well, was expecting more. But that got me thinking... who are the actual maritime goalies in the Q ?

As far as I can tell, out of the 18 teams, only Chad Arsenault, Riley Mercer and Jacob Goobie are from the maritimes. Cruz Loughlin played some games.

Goalie development doesn't seem to be a strength for the Maritimes the last five years I would say.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
I was surprised to a certain extent as well, was expecting more. But that got me thinking... who are the actual maritime goalies in the Q ?

As far as I can tell, out of the 18 teams, only Chad Arsenault, Riley Mercer and Jacob Goobie are from the maritimes. Cruz Loughlin played some games.

Goalie development doesn't seem to be a strength for the Maritimes the last five years I would say.
You can add Sheehan in Blainville but that's about it.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Will Shields was one of the last picks today in the USHL draft. That makes me believe he’ll be playing in the Q. Anyone have more insight on this?

I have zero insight, but this has all the makings of a typical Halifax pick (Barron, Furlong, etc).

PuckGuy902

Jul 12, 2021
Guys really good at QMJHL Cup: Zonnon, Lavoie, Smith, L’Etalien, Kearsey, Boisvert, Poirier (but really short)

Wood proved not first rd calibre maybe 3rd or later.

Reactions: Lap2000

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Will Shields was one of the last picks today in the USHL draft. That makes me believe he’ll be playing in the Q. Anyone have more insight on this?
There is maybe a question about whether he plays in his first eligible year or whether he might do a year at U16 again but my impression is he will play in the Q. I'd say that will depend on the team that picks him. I don't know where he stands overall at this point with most scouts as they do thier US/Canada correlation and factor in specifics. My best guess would be a potential first pick of the wildcats, moose or dogs and probably playing in his first year.
Post automatically merged:

Guys really good at QMJHL Cup: Zonnon, Lavoie, Smith, L’Etalien, Kearsey, Boisvert, Poirier (but really short)
Zonnon went from a B rated prospect to an A rated prospect and also he's a late birthday. I think he will surprise come draft day. Cool name as well.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
There is maybe a question about whether he plays in his first eligible year or whether he might do a year at U16 again but my impression is he will play in the Q. I'd say that will depend on the team that picks him. I don't know where he stands overall at this point with most scouts as they do thier US/Canada correlation and factor in specifics. My best guess would be a potential first pick of the wildcats, moose or dogs and probably playing in his first year.
Post automatically merged:

Zonnon went from a B rated prospect to an A rated prospect and also he's a late birthday. I think he will surprise come draft day. Cool name as well.
Zonnon is an interesting one. He was the first player taken in the recent USHL phase 1 draft by Chicago. Doubt they would’ve taken him with their first pick if they didn’t have a good idea he’ll report. Interesting for sure!

hawkeye east

May 31, 2021
This is the way i view the draft, I love Daigle so much that im putting his 1st overall...I feel he is the best goaltending prospect the QMJHL has seen since guys like MA Fleury, Roberto Luongo, JS Giguere etc etc...this draft is a very strong draft...

1. Gabriel D’Aigle—G—St Hy 6’02/190 12 04 2.28 .927
2. William Shields—F—Bishop U15 5’08/140 69 58 46 104
3. Sacha Boisvert—F—Mount St Charles 15U 6’01/161 36 41 29 70
4. Tyler Wood—F—Selects 15U 6’01/170 44 30 40 70
5. Justin Poirier—F—Chat 5’07/174 32 30 14 44
6. Julien Lanthier—D—Vikings 6’00/150 33 06 21 27
7. Coen Miller—F—Cole Harbor 5’10/147 34 25 24 49
8. Liam Furey—G—Halifax 6’03/160 13 03 2.42 .911
9. Xavier Veilleux—D—SSF 5’11/174 33 03 24 27
10. Ian Ramsay—D—Cole Harbor 6’03/200 34 12 18 30
11. Reece Peitzsche—F—Cole Harbor 5’11/175 31 13 29 42
12. Adam Fortier-Gendron—D—Phenix 5’10/187 31 04 14 18
13. Owen Phillips—D—Pittsburgh U15 5’10/160 38 05 24 29
14. Eliot L’Italien—F—SSF 6’01/185 33 14 12 26
15. Spencer Gill—D—Moncton 5’11/155 24 05 16 21
16. Maxim Masse—F—ND 5’11/161 33 20 11 31
17. Felix Lacerte—F—Trois Riv 5’09/140 31 16 17 33
18. Raoul Boilard—F—Magog 6’01/140 32 14 19 33
19. Quinn Kennedy—F—Halifax 5’10/160 33 21 20 41
20. Marcus Kearsey—D—Rothesday 5’09/150 26 04 13 17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21. Thomas Desruisseaux—F—Levis 6’00/148 25 12 11 23
22. Jeremie Richard—D—Moncton 6’00/175 23 04 13 17
23. Lincoln Waugh—D—Charlottetown 5’11/165 19 06 09 15
24. Tomas Lavoie—D—Phenix 6’02/183 30 05 11 16
25. William Dumais—F—Trois Riv 5’11/157 30 08 16 24
26. Callum Aucoin—F—Halifax 5’11/151 34 11 27 38
27. Justin Carbonneau—F—Levis 5’11/158 34 04 22 26
28. Marek Beaudoin—F—St Hy 5’11/185 32 10 11 21
29. Alexis Michaud—F—SSF 5’11/161 33 12 16 28
30. Alexandre Lallier—F—Vikings 5’09/142 27 15 18 33
31. Mathieu Taillefer—D—St Hyac 6’00/151 28 01 06 07
32. Alix Dorocher—F—Magog 5’07/135 31 14 18 32
33. Connor Arseneault—F—Saint John 6’02/196 26 12 10 22
34. Emile Beaunoyer—G—ND 5’09/160 11 04 2.98 .903
35. Vincent Murray—D—Gatineau 6’01/161 09 01 02 03
36. Alix Durocher—F—Magog 5’07/135 25 10 11 21
37. Luka Cloutier—G—Magog 5’09/125 12 04 2.20 .901
38. Jeremy Leroux—F—Stanstead 5’09/165 19 11 12 23
39. Guillaume Fillion—D—Magog 6’00/190 29 02 13 15
40. Alexis Bernier—D—St Hayac 6’00/154 32 02 09 11
41. Jack McMinn—D—Halifax 5’08/155 33 06 18 24
I watched the Atlantic teams online ….. not live. I will not take the conspiracy angle this time but I will say Miller, wood , furey, peitzche and Ramsay all looked very average. Not A ranked players….. which was my thinking when I saw this list originally. Arsenault, Kennedy, smith, shields, Kearsey, Phillips , butler …. Were maritimes best ….. from what I saw.

hawkeye east

May 31, 2021
I watched the Atlantic teams online ….. not live. I will not take the conspiracy angle this time but I will say Miller, wood , furey, peitzche and Ramsay all looked very average. Not A ranked players….. which was my thinking when I saw this list originally. Arsenault, Kennedy, smith, shields, Kearsey, Phillips , butler …. Were maritimes best ….. from what I saw.
Quebec had at least twice as many impressive players lavoie, daigle, poirer, boisvert, zonnin, litalien, desressuiex, veillieux, carbonneau, Leroux, masse, ogonowski, lanthier. last thought will Gill last minute skipping out on the the tournament help or hurt his stock?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Quebec had at least twice as many impressive players lavoie, daigle, poirer, boisvert, zonnin, litalien, desressuiex, veillieux, carbonneau, Leroux, masse, ogonowski, lanthier. last thought will Gill last minute skipping out on the the tournament help or hurt his stock?

Similar to the Magog guys going to the Telus Cap, it might hurt their stock a bit (unjustifiably). Tremendous hype develops during the QMJHL Cup every year. It is relied on too much by many scouts that don't see enough games during the year and get swayed big time by a few flashes.

hkyNS

May 3, 2022
Halifornia, NS
I saw that Titan prospect Malcolm green was USHL drafted yesterday, do you think he is trying to go the NCAA route, Also saw that Ewan cleary/Matt butler got drafted.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Similar to the Magog guys going to the Telus Cap, it might hurt their stock a bit (unjustifiably). Tremendous hype develops during the QMJHL Cup every year. It is relied on too much by many scouts that don't see enough games during the year and get swayed big time by a few flashes.
My question to you:

Is the hype caused by scouts that don't see enough games or is it caused by GMs who drop by, didn't see many games but fall in love with some players?

When it's time to draft final lists, who gets the last word? The Head Scout or the GM? 😉

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
My question to you:

Is the hype caused by scouts that don't see enough games or is it caused by GMs who drop by, didn't see many games but fall in love with some players?

When it's time to draft final lists, who gets the last word? The Head Scout or the GM? 😉

To the first question, it could also be the GM that falls in love with the players. When it's time to draft, I'd say there's a lot of things that can dictate picks. GMs and Head Scouts can throw the list away and go with their guy if they feel like it, but sometimes it can even come from higher than the GM for some picks.

I know some teams where the scouts aren't even aware of who they will pick in the first round until after the pick. I have a friend working on a team and I was following the draft remotely and knew the pick before him. All the teams work differently.

For the hype, I can tell you that the scouts also fall in love with players and forget everything they've seen during the year. We've heard some crazy stuff over the weekend. I can't wait to see where the Magog players end up being picked. There's a reason why this team won it all in Quebec, and their 15 years old were a big part of it too. These are good prospects.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
To the first question, it could also be the GM that falls in love with the players. When it's time to draft, I'd say there's a lot of things that can dictate picks. GMs and Head Scouts can throw the list away and go with their guy if they feel like it, but sometimes it can even come from higher than the GM for some picks.

I know some teams where the scouts aren't even aware of who they will pick in the first round until after the pick. I have a friend working on a team and I was following the draft remotely and knew the pick before him. All the teams work differently.

For the hype, I can tell you that the scouts also fall in love with players and forget everything they've seen during the year. We've heard some crazy stuff over the weekend. I can't wait to see where the Magog players end up being picked. There's a reason why this team won it all in Quebec, and their 15 years old were a big part of it too. These are good prospects.
I agree, it happens all the time, a scout walks into the rink, to watch a prospect and for the next 60 mins he is focused on that kid...if he performs, he can then do no wrong if he fails, it is nearly impossible to get him back on the radar. It's almost like once they are locked in on a player, that player can do no wrong or vice versa.

Player Hype is a slippery slope, it is like that must see movie, you hear from all your friends how great it is, best ever and then you walk out of the theatre thinking, it was just ok. It rarely lives up to the hype. The best Scouts/GM's don't get caught up in the hype.

The GM / Head scout is an interesting dynamic, I would say that most successful drafts require them to be in sync with plenty of communication, the Regional Scouts are generally trumped by the head scout or GM if they are not 100% in agreeance on a player, some Regionals rarely get their guy so to speak.

As for the Magog prospects, their stock will rise if they hold their own at Telus and I am confident they will.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I agree, it happens all the time, a scout walks into the rink, to watch a prospect and for the next 60 mins he is focused on that kid...if he performs, he can then do no wrong if he fails, it is nearly impossible to get him back on the radar. It's almost like once they are locked in on a player, that player can do no wrong or vice versa.

Player Hype is a slippery slope, it is like that must see movie, you hear from all your friends how great it is, best ever and then you walk out of the theatre thinking, it was just ok. It rarely lives up to the hype. The best Scouts/GM's don't get caught up in the hype.

The GM / Head scout is an interesting dynamic, I would say that most successful drafts require them to be in sync with plenty of communication, the Regional Scouts are generally trumped by the head scout or GM if they are not 100% in agreeance on a player, some Regionals rarely get their guy so to speak.

As for the Magog prospects, their stock will rise if they hold their own at Telus and I am confident they will.
The reality is that scouting/drafting is 20% skill, 30% art and 50% luck.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I hope Halifax doesn't do anything stupid this year like how they drafted crosby 1st rd.

It was a bit of a reach, but it's going to be a fine pick at the end of the day, the guy will end up being a top 6 winger one day and that's all you can ask in that 20 overall range.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
It was a bit of a reach, but it's going to be a fine pick at the end of the day, the guy will end up being a top 6 winger one day and that's all you can ask in that 20 overall range.
Given the connection with the organization, I can see Halifax taking Kennedy at # 6. As for Crosby, there were better players avail last year at 20 and to trade up for made no sense, he would have still been avail later in 2nd round. Given their current roster..combined with a top 10 pick and some Euro luck, Crosby will have a tough time cracking the top 6.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
The draft just under 2 months away....lots of great story lines to come. The D'Aigle saga is one of the most interesting ones, .I still think there is still a good chance he goes #1 overall and I feel the Sags will be working hard to move up to get him.

Reactions: Eagle003

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad