2022 Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Haven’t been watching the preseason, but I’m wondering how new guy Mason Marchment is doing? Liked the signing day one. Also less curious but still wondering about Miller. Still unsure why Nill signed him. Him vs grabbing a league minimum guy could have been the difference in Robertson getting a long term deal

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I get that they want to try to ice the best possible team for winning now but this team is gonna suck either way . There’s nothing that’s happened in the off season to think this team is any better than a wildcard team . Play the young guys . Let them play with Robertson and hintz while there in there prime . You have a team with a lot of shelter for young guys . The only way to climb over that hurdle of being a wildcard team is to suck for a bit , but get the right guys experience .
I agree the Stars are still a wildcard team but they’re not going to suck.

A new coach/system along with the pickups and kids (some getting short time) is exciting.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
After the Lundkvist trade the team is set on defense. Hague likely wants more money than we should invest in another defenseman right now. The point of trading Faksa would be to free up some capspace. Trading for Hague would not do that.

Reactions: Elysian

skygodz187

Feb 15, 2015
Lmao

What's the catch
The catch is Hague could fill the last spot if Harley isn't ready. And when Suter Hakinpaa or Miller don't cut it or are gone we have a very solid Def Core.

In other words we would t have to fight for DEF especially since we drafted a boat load recently.
We would have Bases covered.

And with Ben hopefully gone in the 25 26 season we would have his money freed to sign out younger core moving forward along with Suter. We don't really know what Pavalski is gonna do after this season so money should be there. If we can move some of this dead wieght around.

Hoping we can move Dobby Faksa and Kiveranta off the roster for the Young gone of the future

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I understand you guys don't like trades but does
Joel Hanley and Radak Faksa for Nic Hague work?

Everyone loves trades. You just happen to come up with very unrealistic trades that don't work in the real world, and typically they're pretty humorous.

For example, you're suggesting that a 23-year-old monster 3rd pair D with Top 4 upside is worth a player with negative value (significantly so) and a solid 7th defender/AHL tweener.

There's zero consideration of value or benefit to Vegas. No, it's not McDavid for Seguin, but it's in that wheelhouse.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Is it just me ? Or has anyone else never been remotely close to being as less excited about the season to start as they are this year ?

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Is it just me ? Or has anyone else never been remotely close to being as less excited about the season to start as they are this year ?
LOL I just made a post in the GDT about how I’m excited for this season and then came in and read this.

I’m excited to watch a more entertaining brand of hockey. Still expecting a bubble team but watching Bowness hockey hurt me so hard.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
LOL I just made a post in the GDT about how I’m excited for this season and then came in and read this.

I’m excited to watch a more entertaining brand of hockey. Still expecting a bubble team but watching Bowness hockey hurt me so hard.
I'm more excited than I've been in several seasons.
I just can’t get excited . It’s gonna be the same as every other year I know it lol only way I’d get pumped is if stankoven and Johnston both stay up . There prob both going down though .

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I just can’t get excited . It’s gonna be the same as every other year I know it lol only way I’d get pumped is if stankoven and Johnston both stay up . There prob both going down though .
I had a hard time getting excited the last few. But now new coach, new system, young players, etc. Finally something to be excited about. Part of being less excited is having to hunt for a stream every game since BSSW isn't available here due to the squabbles. Now I feel more motivated to do that.

Reactions: BfantZ

skygodz187

Feb 15, 2015
Everyone loves trades. You just happen to come up with very unrealistic trades that don't work in the real world, and typically they're pretty humorous.

For example, you're suggesting that a 23-year-old monster 3rd pair D with Top 4 upside is worth a player with negative value (significantly so) and a solid 7th defender/AHL tweener.

There's zero consideration of value or benefit to Vegas. No, it's not McDavid for Seguin, but it's in that wheelhouse.
Funny thing is Hague still isn't signed and has garnered almost Zero intreast from anyone. Strange. Unsigned. No one has called. O well we will stock to your theory and evaluations....

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Okay so, hear Skygodz out. Faksa and a low salary defenseman to Vegas might actually work for them from a cap perspective.

A healthy 22 man roster would have cap hits of between $81.9 and $82.3 million depending on the depth players they chose. Weber, Lehner and Patrick would all be on LTIR for the season. The exact timing of the trade, when to place guys on LTIR, and the players that would make the psuedo-opening day roster would matter immensely for Vegas. Capologists would have to earn their paycheck.

Vegas were rumored to want Faksa at one point, doubt they still do but who knows. The value is still awful for Vegas. The low salary defenseman wouldn't be Hanley; it's Harley. Dallas would still have to get Hague signed with only $3.25 million in cap space. I haven't looked at contract comparables or his rumored ask, so I don't know if that's feasible or not.

Does Faksa and Harley for Hague work from a value perspective? I think it probably still favors Dallas but there's been worse proposals.

Reactions: Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Funny thing is Hague still isn't signed and has garnered almost Zero intreast from anyone. Strange. Unsigned. No one has called. O well we will stock to your theory and evaluations....

Yes its called RFA negotiations. They happen every year, and are we just going to pretend that Robertson wasn't in the exact same situation days ago.

The list of RFAs that miss camp and in some instances the start of the season is extensive. The list of those traded ... name one without looking it up.

If he's traded, it'll be full value considering he's under team control this season plus 3 more.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Okay so, hear Skygodz out. Faksa and a low salary defenseman to Vegas might actually work for them from a cap perspective.

A healthy 22 man roster would have cap hits of between $81.9 and $82.3 million depending on the depth players they chose. Weber, Lehner and Patrick would all be on LTIR for the season. The exact timing of the trade, when to place guys on LTIR, and the players that would make the psuedo-opening day roster would matter immensely for Vegas. Capologists would have to earn their paycheck.

Vegas were rumored to want Faksa at one point, doubt they still do but who knows. The value is still awful for Vegas. The low salary defenseman wouldn't be Hanley; it's Harley. Dallas would still have to get Hague signed with only $3.25 million in cap space. I haven't looked at contract comparables or his rumored ask, so I don't know if that's feasible or not.

Does Faksa and Harley for Hague work from a value perspective? I think it probably still favors Dallas but there's been worse proposals.

You're very wrong and very right at the same time. Your proposal may come off as a simple tweak, but it's not. I can't give someone the benefit of the doubt in this case when every proposal either only favors Dallas or it's 2/3rds of one organization for 2/3rds of another organization.

You're so very right about your proposal though. It's a perfect, classic trade proposal. I don't mean that I'd jump at taking it, but it at least offers value for value and considers the needs of both teams. The gap between Hanley and Harley is massive.

Ultimately, I agree it still probably favors Dallas, and I think Vegas just waits this out, but it's one that at least can produce an actual conversation.

It's pretty popular to project the Top 4 in the next 3 or so years as Heiskanen-Lundkvist; Harley-Bichsel. Could you imagine a Hague-Bichsel pair? If Hague hit his offensive potential ... man that'd be scary, and you'd essentially have a Sydor-Zubov; Hatcher-Matvichuk starter kit.

Reactions: Ghost of Kyiv

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I was trying to further a fun conversation while also doing a tongue in cheek backhanded compliment to the effect of, "hey that's a really good idea...if you completely disregard the most important thing". Just re-reading my post I don't think it came across that way, sorry...my joke writing needs work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad