GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That could be true. I'm at the point where I'm indifferent on Johnny. It'd be great to have him, but I'm also fine with pursuing Palat as our big add. I think Palat could be just as profound of an add given his "intangibles."

I've been consistent in my opinion that Johnny won't get double-digit AAV. I don't think the bullet you're referring to is as big as people think it will be. He won't get Panarin money.
I'm not all that crazy about a going on 32 years old Palat either...But from a player profile perspective, I think he's much more along the lines of what we need.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
I know but that's my whole point. Back in the day we couldn't land any big fish in FA. Now we have a chance to sign the 2 biggest names in back to back seasons.
1657720155749.png

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It has been because it has a bonus, if that bonus is paid out today, there's only $4M left on a $7M deal. Some bonuses are paid out during the season, I haven't seen anywhere if that's true.
Bonuses are paid the 1st day of free agency so it’s today and traditionally July 1st.

That’s why Carolina got the 1st for Marleau, he had a 3m signing bonus and the buy out period is before free agency (and he required a buy out since he refused to play for anyone other than team that wouldn’t trade for him). So Toronto couldn’t pay it.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
i would not spend to the cap today.

i would keep cap space open. the core of this team needs to be playoff ready first, then you start to spend to the cap by filling out the roster with the missing pieces. just because you have cap space you don't have to go after the biggest name available in free agency.
👏

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Bonuses are paid the 1st day of free agency so it’s today and traditionally July 1st.

That’s why Carolina got the 1st for Marleau, he had a 3m signing bonus and the buy out period is before free agency (and he required a buy out since he refused to play for anyone other than team that wouldn’t trade for him). So Toronto couldn’t pay it.

I am assuming Fletcher and other teams know this and the offers on the table were post bonus and they simply aren't interested in giving them a break as they have no leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad