GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Agreed, I was just thinking out loud. I would love Severson back while having Luke + Nemec on ELCs
With the Nemec pick Severson coming back should be completely dependent on price and term.

I’m not sure I’d want to do more than 4 years. 5 absolute max.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
He’s a veteran player who hopefully knows better than to take that to heart. Any player who’s upset/worrying or pissed off about who his teams picking in the draft and what position they play doesn’t have their head in the right place. That’s my opinion.

If anything, he's probably ecstatic to see the organization stockpiling top young talent, given how bad we've been for his entire tenure here.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Gaudreau - Yes
Kadri - No
Giroux - No
Burakovsky - Yes
Perron - Yes
R. Strome - No
Copp - Yes
Kessel - No
Trochek - Depends
Palat - Yes
D. Strome - Depends
Niederrreiter - Yes
Mikheyev - Yes
Marchment - Depends
Domi - No
Rodrigues - Depends
Piltick - No
Stastny - No
Vatrano - Depends

Copp went to DET

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Honest question to the ones who don't want Gaudreau? Would you rather spend the $10M in cap space on two or three question marks or on one sure thing?
It doesn't need to be one or the other.

Gaudreau is a great player. I'd love for Gaudreau to sign a deal here for 3 years at 10 mil. I don't want to see him sign here for 7 years, that's what it will take to get it done, because the end of that contract is going to cost us. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
i totally agree and i rather keep bratt at around 7m, than signing gaudreau for around 11m.

4m in cap space and the fact that bratt is likely getting better, while gaudreau will start to slowing down over the life time of his contract, should make the devil's priorities easy.
I don’t get it. How do we know any of this? What if the Bratt contract ends up being worse than the Gaudreau contract?

Stop building the roster out of cap fear. There’s a 115 point free agent on the market. We could probably use that.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Why would he remotely care about the Nemec pick? There are like 3 positions in hockey. He’s going to get pissed because they drafted a defenseman with a right handed shot who’s like 10 years younger than him? There’s no way he cares.

He’s tired of losing, so if anything he’s probably happy. In reality though, most of these guys pay zero attention to the draft.
I think it’s the magnitude of the moves we’ve made in consecutive years at his position. Signed the biggest FA on the market, selected a player #2 overall. If he’s deciding where to commit long term, maybe he wants to be somewhere with a hope of getting PP1 time?

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Those quotes from Dreger and Friedman are interesting, and kind of remind me of the night of the Kovalchuk trade. We were unsure of where he would be traded, and there were rumors about 4-5 teams, but then McKenzie tweeted out something like "fully expected to be the NJ Devils", and then the gif party was ON.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There's ample room on this team for Bratt and Gaudreau. They would likely be playing on different lines on the top 6. Key is making sure there's a good complementary winger for Gaudreau. I tend to think they'd need a winger with some physicality to help on the board play. Could be Mercer even maybe if they move him off C.

Folks get too caught up with how many forwards we have. Some will not be here soon this offseason or gone next year (Zacha, Tatar, Johnsson). Even a guy like Wood is not a long-term likelihood and with questions on hip. Some of these young guys too won't make it or will be moved around for other fits over coming years as the mix of guys changes as needed.

I think Palat is in the convo as a fallback option. I wonder if Lou strikes out on Gaudreau if the Isles would take swing on Palat. Gut says yes.
hughes is an excellent play driver. bratt is a very good play driver. gaudreau is an elite play driver. obviously it is great to have a lot of skill, but bratt wasn't more effective on hughes line than on nico's. there the fear of redundancy comes from.

I don’t get it. How do we know any of this? What if the Bratt contract ends up being worse than the Gaudreau contract?

Stop building the roster out of cap fear. There’s a 115 point free agent on the market. We could probably use that.
if gaudreau is willing to sign a contract with new jersey for less then 10m, do it.
if bratt is asking for 10m or more, trade him.

it's extremly unlikely both of this things are true.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I tend to think some team is going to bend and say ok to Florida's #1.
Honestly... if we miss out on Gaudreau and it's Floridas 1st, I'd take him with the first, plop him in the bottom six and PP2, and retain at the deadline while getting another asset or two. It's just a year and getting picks isn't a bad thing.
if we sign johnny, it’ll be interesting to see what happens with bratt. it definitely makes him somewhat expendable, whether you guys like it or not.
I 100% disagree that it makes him expendable. They still have bonafide top 6 lock wingers aside from Bratt and possibly Sharangovich.
Honest question to the ones who don't want Gaudreau? Would you rather spend the $10M in cap space on two or three question marks or on one sure thing?
If we don't sign him I'd rather that 10 mil be spent on a bottom 6 winger who is physical and a bottom pairing RD who can be relied on to kill penalties.

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
hughes is an excellent play driver. bratt is a very good play driver. gaudreau is an elite play driver. obviously it is great to have a lot of skill, but bratt wasn't more effective on hughes line than on nico's. there the fear of redundancy comes from.

if gaudreau is willing to sign a contract with new jersey for less then 10m, do it.
if bratt is asking for 10m or more, trade him.

it's extremly unlikely both of this things are true.
Jack and Bratt were electric together. Almost a 62% expected goal share. They were goalie’d of course, but they played damn well.

Reactions: glenwo2

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is it “mandatory” that the site goes down?
tenor.gif

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
With the Nemec pick Severson coming back should be completely dependent on price and term.

I’m not sure I’d want to do more than 4 years. 5 absolute max.

Severson isn't getting a 0.9M raise on his next deal especially when it could be his last deal. Try 6Mx6 or something

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Any interest in this? Don’t know what the cost would be but if it’s more of a cap dump and is really cheap it could be a nice 1 year addition.

7M contract with a year left. Still a really productive forward and good goalscorer.

Only caveat is that he has a 10 team no trade list and there’s a decent chance the devils are on it. Wonder if he’d have interest in playing for the devils.

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts

Any interest in this? Don’t know what the cost would be but if it’s more of a cap dump and is really cheap it could be a nice 1 year addition.

7M contract with a year left. Still a really productive forward and good goalscorer.

Only caveat is that he has a 10 team no trade list and there’s a decent chance the devils are on it. Wonder if he’d have interest in playing for the devils.

Nicolas Roy, please go get him

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Severson isn't getting a 0.9M raise on his next deal especially when it could be his last deal. Try 6Mx6 or something
I didn’t say he would only get a 0.9M raise.

I would be more worried about the term.
Maybe 6.5 for 4 years, if he had any interest in taking a deal like that. Otherwise if he wants too much longer or too much more I think we might be better off trading him in season or letting him walk.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I tend to think some team is going to bend and say ok to Florida's #1.
Yes, Philly will move salary and they’ll sign Gaudreau.

Commentators who are putting us in the running don’t understand where he’s from and they just think “NJ”.

It’s very South Jersey, most of his family is from Philly, his wife is from Philly and he’s a huge Flyer fan/Philly sports fan. He’s often said he’s always wanted to play there, get ready for the presser where he describes it as “dream come true”. He might cry.

Also several of his long time closest friends are on that team, including DeAngelo, who they just happened to trade for.

Sorry, I don’t see how our location and young core beats all that. And a bigger offer won’t matter. It’s already rumored he that he’s willing to give the Flyers a slight discount *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad