GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Any interest in this? Don’t know what the cost would be but if it’s more of a cap dump and is really cheap it could be a nice 1 year addition.

7M contract with a year left. Still a really productive forward and good goalscorer.

Only caveat is that he has a 10 team no trade list and there’s a decent chance the devils are on it. Wonder if he’d have interest in playing for the devils.

Patches played 39 games last season and has misses time every season for a while, the question is his health.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yes, Philly will move salary and they’ll sign Gaudreau.

Commentators who are putting us in the running don’t understand where he’s from and they just think “NJ”.

It’s very South Jersey, most of his family is from Philly, his wife is from Philly and he’s a huge Flyer fan/Philly sports fan. He’s often said he’s always wanted to play there, get ready for the presser where he describes it as “dream come true”. He might cry.

Also several of his long time closest friends are on that team, including DeAngelo, who they just happened to trade for.

Sorry, I don’t see how our location and young core beats all that. And a bigger offer won’t matter. It’s already rumored he that he’s willing to give the Flyers a slight discount *sigh*

I would understand this argument more if Gaudreau had a cup. But if winning was legit important him too, he wouldn't have left Calgary, so who knows? Maybe it's winning + East Coast

Reactions: glenwo2

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Commentators who are putting us in the running don’t understand where he’s from and they just think “NJ”.

It’s very South Jersey, most of his family is from Philly, his wife is from Philly and he’s a huge Flyer fan/Philly sports fan. He’s often said he’s always wanted to play there, get ready for the presser where he describes it as “dream come true”. He might cry.

Also several of his long time closest friends are on that team, including DeAngelo, who they just happened to trade for.

Sorry, I don’t see how our location and young core beats all that. And a bigger offer won’t matter. It’s already rumored he that he’s willing to give the Flyers a slight discount *sigh*
For a guy moving from Calgary, a 90 minute drive to Philly may feel like you’re living next door.

Reactions: McDuffz88 and Mgd31

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Philly has work to do is the thing, they can do it but Gaudreau would have to wait it out

NJ has the cap to sit on their hands too, there's like 2-3 others guys I want anyway. I'm Fitz, I launch an insane offer at noon and test to see if it's really just Philly or he'll go elsewhere

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

Any interest in this? Don’t know what the cost would be but if it’s more of a cap dump and is really cheap it could be a nice 1 year addition.

7M contract with a year left. Still a really productive forward and good goalscorer.

Only caveat is that he has a 10 team no trade list and there’s a decent chance the devils are on it. Wonder if he’d have interest in playing for the devils.

If we miss on Gaudreau, Neiderrieter, and Perron, This wouldn't be a bad add to give our top 6 some legitimacy. He's still got a lot of plus assets when he can actually play.
I didn’t say he would only get a 0.9M raise.

I would be more worried about the term.
Maybe 6.5 for 4 years, if he had any interest in taking a deal like that. Otherwise if he wants too much longer or too much more I think we might be better off trading him in season or letting him walk.
You've got to keep Severson or else the defense remains a mess for another few years and you waste adding Gaudreau and the prime years of Hischier and Bratt. He will cost at least $7.5 million per year, I'm absolutely fine with that.

I said it earlier today, but I think Hamilton ends up being the cap dump after you get a few years of Hamilton-Severson-Nemec down the right side.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014

I would say no on Max ... he's hurt a lot and is getting long in the tooth.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

I think this is still the most likely outcome. And I think I'd be ok with it, as long as we have a backup plan.

I also think this whole idea of Fletcher refusing to trade JVR (and that being the impediment to them signing Gaudreau) is a smokescreen. I think he's just saying that so that he can get away with the price for his cap dump being Florida's first, not their own.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If we miss on Gaudreau, Neiderrieter, and Perron, This wouldn't be a bad add to give our top 6 some legitimacy. He's still got a lot of plus assets when he can actually play.

You've got to keep Severson or else the defense remains a mess for another few years and you waste adding Gaudreau and the prime years of Hischier and Bratt. He will cost at least $7.5 million per year, I'm absolutely fine with that.

I said it earlier today, but I think Hamilton ends up being the cap dump after you get a few years of Hamilton-Severson-Nemec down the right side.
I don’t think Severson will cost that much nor do I think we have to keep him especially not at that cost long term. If the left side is solid, we believe in Nemec and he develops well and we bring in a solid placeholder we should be more than fine without Severson.

Dougie also has a NMC

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Cmon guys, have some faith & stop being Debbie downers. The fact there's even small chance we land one of the biggest free agents in years, we should be having a party. Back in the day we would never be able to have a shot at any big name free agent.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
And we'll have dodged a bullet in both instances :nod:

That could be true. I'm at the point where I'm indifferent on Johnny. It'd be great to have him, but I'm also fine with pursuing Palat as our big add. I think Palat could be just as profound of an add given his "intangibles."

I've been consistent in my opinion that Johnny won't get double-digit AAV. I don't think the bullet you're referring to is as big as people think it will be. He won't get Panarin money.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Pacioretty would just be another vet stopgap and a pretty disappointing "settle" if we strike out on all other possible value targets in FA/trade. Injury concerns with him/durability are real and he isn't cheap.

I'd rather just sign Palat.

Reactions: Mgd31

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
If we don’t get JG i want Palat and Burakovsky

Get Zacha and Johnsson out of here

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Pacioretty would just be another vet stopgap and a pretty disappointing "settle" if we strike out on all other possible value targets in FA/trade. Injury concerns with him/durability are real and he isn't cheap.

I'd rather just sign Palat.
He’s much better than Palat. And I see no harm in getting a really good top 6 forward and goal scorer cheap for 1 season if we have the cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad