GDT: 2022 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - July 7th - 7 P.M / Round 2-7 - July 8th - 11 A.M

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Okay so he made a no brainer phone call for a player who wasn’t even on the block. He’s been in his seat for 3 years and what has he done outside of handing out contracts to free agents besides trading spare parts for Siegenthaler and Graves?

I generally like Fitz, but he’s painfully passive. At some point you need to grow a set and make an aggressive move to improve your team.

Were you guys this annoying during Lou's days? My god. :laugh:

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Fitz took over a team that was 30th of 31 in CF%, 29th in xGF%, 30th in SCF%, 24th in HDCF%. We were 24th in GF/G. This past year we were 12th in 5v5 GPG and 19th overall (this hopefully rises now that he's gotten rid of Recchi and can get someone to run a good PP with all the talent we have). We were 15th in CF, 13th in xGF%, 11th in SCF%, 6th in HDCF%. The main issue is goaltending and it's not like you can fault him much there. He's addressed that in both of the previous 2 offseasons. First guy retired in camp. Second guy got injured in camp and had season ending (potentially career ending) surgery. Like what the f*** is he supposed to do about that? That's a nice improvement and the team is set up well for the future with no hasty moves being made that would hamper their ability to make future moves.

I have some issues with what we've done (will have more if we're not heavily in on Puljujarvi and Johnny if he leaves) but all in all he's done a good job and the mostly passive approach has been smart. Let's also act like it's completely passive either and that he hasn't made an aggressive move. He literally signed Dougie f***ing Hamilton a year ago.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
During Lou's days we didn't have as many 7th and 8th place finishes in the last three decades as we have the last few years, just saying. Missing the playoffs the three years in a row at the end of his tenure was a freaking local tragedy and we needed a new voice, yet since then we've had seven out of eight years where we were either next to last or last, and we get slagged for being impatient now?

Reactions: Bosskarelli

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Fitz took over a team that was 30th of 31 in CF%, 29th in xGF%, 30th in SCF%, 24th in HDCF%. We were 24th in GF/G. This past year we were 12th in 5v5 GPG and 19th overall (this hopefully rises now that he's gotten rid of Recchi and can get someone to run a good PP with all the talent we have). We were 15th in CF, 13th in xGF%, 11th in SCF%, 6th in HDCF%. The main issue is goaltending and it's not like you can fault him much there. He's addressed that in both of the previous 2 offseasons. First guy retired in camp. Second guy got injured in camp and had season ending (potentially career ending) surgery. Like what the f*** is he supposed to do about that? That's a nice improvement and the team is set up well for the future with no hasty moves being made that would hamper their ability to make future moves.

I have some issues with what we've done (will have more if we're not heavily in on Puljujarvi and Johnny if he leaves) but all in all he's done a good job and the mostly passive approach has been smart. Let's also act like it's completely passive either and that he hasn't made an aggressive move. He literally signed Dougie f***ing Hamilton a year ago.

Yea my main comment about Lou was that he was probably the most patient and passive gm out there, but made the aggressive moves when needed (very similar to Fitz). I can't imagine how 99% of this board was during Lou's days.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Honestly if they're giving Blackwood another year to prove himself, I think Smith deserves another shot in NJ as well. But I wouldn't be totally opposed to that, doesn't Carolina need RHD more with the departure of DeAngelo today?

Except we have 0 goalies but we have 500000 d-men.

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
Interesting. Didnt realize Fitz would be so adamant about the goaltending situation

'Oh Im content' when asked if he was content with his goaltending now (or if thered be more moves)

So I guess were officially out on any other goalies. Glad we didnt sign Campbell

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Interesting. Didnt realize Fitz would be so adamant about the goaltending situation

'Oh Im content' when asked if he was content with his goaltending now (or if thered be more moves)

So I guess were officially out on any other goalies. Glad we didnt sign Campbell

It's really not surprising that nothing else is coming after the press conference the other day. They're giving Blackwood one last shot

Reactions: BananaGenetics

BananaGenetics

Jun 29, 2022
It's really not surprising that nothing else is coming after the press conference the other day. They're giving Blackwood one last shot
I was nervous they wouldnt. So thats good to hear

Loving Fitzgerald's offseason thus far. Get a forward that can play top-9 in UFA and Ill be damn happy with that team going into next season. No forward and Id still be happy, but the 'damn' factor falls off lol

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
During Lou's days we didn't have as many 7th and 8th place finishes in the last three decades as we have the last few years, just saying. Missing the playoffs the three years in a row at the end of his tenure was a freaking local tragedy and we needed a new voice, yet since then we've had seven out of eight years where we were either next to last or last, and we get slagged for being impatient now?

1. When did Lou get here, and when did they win their first cup?
2. Lou's success was in a non cap-era.
3. I 100% guarantee you they would've been a lottery team way earlier if it weren't for mb30.

Yes, you are being impatient. Shero had 0 to work with thanks to Lou but also was kind of incompetent imo which wasted another few years. Fitz has been gm for 2 years, hardly any time to judge someone as good or bad.

Yzerman was gm of Tampa for 9 years (and had some failures as well).
Sakic also won the cup 9 years later (didn't really draft that well imo but made some crazy trades).

My issue with you is not really your impatience but how you keep bashing Fitz. You have every right to be impatient with the overall rebuilding process that has started in 2015, but the fact is, shit happens, and Fitz has had 2 years to do anything.

No shit someone wouldn't have confidence in a gm in year 2, but I bet no one would've had confidence in Yzerman in year 2 either. You can't say "they've shown they know how to win" 9 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I was nervous they wouldnt. So thats good to hear

Loving Fitzgerald's offseason thus far. Get a forward that can play top-9 in UFA and Ill be damn happy with that team going into next season. No forward and Id still be happy, but the 'damn' factor falls off lol

I need at least one top 9 to be happy. Preferably 2. At minimum I crave one of Gaudreau or Puljujarvi

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
1. When did Lou get here, and when did they win their first cup?
2. Lou's success was in a non cap-era.
3. I 100% guarantee you they would've been a lottery team way earlier if it weren't for mb30.

Yes, you are being impatient. Shero had 0 to work with thanks to Lou but also was kind of incompetent imo which wasted another few years. Fitz has been gm for 2 years, hardly any time to judge someone as good or bad.

Yzerman was gm of Tampa for 9 years (and had some failures as well).
Sakic also won the cup 9 years later (didn't really draft that well imo but made some crazy trades).

My issue with you is not really your impatience but how you keep bashing Fitz. You have every right to be impatient with the overall rebuilding process that has started in 2015, but the fact is, shit happens, and Fitz has had 2 years to do anything.

No shit someone wouldn't have confidence in a gm in year 2, but I bet no one would've had confidence in Yzerman in year 2 either. You can't say "they've shown they know how to win" 9 years later.
I'd even argue what he's done in 2 years has exceeded expectations for me.

Reactions: Darkauron

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'd even argue what he's done in 2 years has exceeded expectations for me.

Well, don't get me wrong. I'm not sold on Fitz yet, but it's complete stupidity to say Lightning have shown they know how to win, 9 years later, and having complete faith in them but giving 0 chance to Fitz.

I am neutral as of right now.

Also, Idk how many people here were even fans during Lou days but I can tell you I was very lukewarm with a lot of stuff Lou did too, but he ended up doing well in the end. That's just how it goes.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yes, missing the playoffs when your team is the oldest team in the league and all you see on CapFriendly are red UFAs on pretty much everybody on the team does mean firing the general manager, and it also means that your team is not likely to be great 8 years later, unless they just crush the draft market in a way that almost no team has done before.

People should consider that a big part of Lou's long-tail success was being in a 21 team league when he started out and leaving in a 30 team league. Expansion teams are behind multiple 8 balls and it takes a full generation for that to wash out (and even that I'm not fully convinced of)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Can I just say that I hated the way this draft went logistically league wide? I wish we did first round Friday night and the rest Saturday. Having to keep track of it while at work, while not being allowed to actually be on the phone or computer at work, annoyed the F out of me today.

Reactions: nugg and Bleedred

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
I am still scratching my head over the Flyers. Trade Ghost because his cap hit was too high and then use that cap money and lots of picks on Risto, who is also a pylon but can't score, then trade for the scumbag with more picks because no one on your blue line can score.

Insanity
yep.. I'm not complaining 😄

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can I just say that I hated the way this draft went logistically league wide? I wish we did first round Friday night and the rest Saturday. Having to keep track of it while at work, while not being allowed to actually be on the phone or computer at work, annoyed the F out of me today.
Yes, it struck me as weird that it was on a Thursday night and not on a Friday night.

If I'm not mistaken, I feel like the first round of the draft has either been on a Friday night with the rest being on Saturday in the daytime or a Saturday night with the remainder of the rounds being on Sunday in the day time. But it's been quite a bit since the first round was on Saturday nights, maybe 12-15 years now.

It may have been different in 2020 (weird covid year where the draft was held in October). For some reason I remember it being on a weeknight that was not a Friday, but maybe I'm wrong. Last year I do believe it was on a Friday night, the first round was, it was just a virtual event.

Now that I think about it, the 2013 draft where we traded the pick for Cory at Prudential Center was on a Sunday afternoon. I think the entire draft was that day. But that was also a weird year with the lockout and late cup finals finish.

In some respects this was also a weird year because of the cup being awarded in the last few days of June and not around June 10th-15th like in normal years. As well as the draft typically being June 20-something most years and not in July. That was all due to the would-be olympic break that wound up being nixed anyway.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I am still scratching my head over the Flyers. Trade Ghost because his cap hit was too high and then use that cap money and lots of picks on Risto, who is also a pylon but can't score, then trade for the scumbag with more picks because no one on your blue line can score.

Insanity
Chuck Fletcher and his never ending search for mediocrity.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yes, it struck me as weird that it was on a Thursday night and not on a Friday night.

If I'm not mistaken, I feel like the first round of the draft has either been on a Friday night with the rest being on Saturday in the daytime or a Saturday night with the remainder of the rounds being on Sunday in the day time. But it's been quite a bit since the first round was on Saturday nights, maybe 12-15 years now.

It may have been different in 2020 (weird covid year where the draft was held in October). For some reason I remember it being on a weeknight that was not a Friday, but maybe I'm wrong. Last year I do believe it was on a Friday night, the first round was, it was just a virtual event.

Now that I think about it, the 2013 draft where we traded the pick for Cory at Prudential Center was on a Sunday afternoon. I think the entire draft was that day. But that was also a weird year with the lockout and late cup finals finish.

In some respects this was also a weird year because of the cup being awarded in the last few days of June and not around June 10th-15th like in normal years. As well as the draft typically being June 20-something most years and not in July. That was all due to the would-be olympic break that wound up being nixed anyway.
I'm fairly confident that most years it was round 1 Friday, rest of draft on a Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad