GDT: 2022 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 - July 7th - 7 P.M / Round 2-7 - July 8th - 11 A.M

Status
Not open for further replies.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
wanted to share my thoughts on the full draft class. i'll put the player's draft position as well as my own ranking next to their name (HM-honorable mention, WL-watch list, NR-not ranked)

2. Nemec (4): already seen me ramble a ton on him but he's an elite puck mover who will provide yet another potent weapon on the backend. super smart, super skilled, and with a more developed physical game and refined in-zone coverage he'll be a true top pair guy

46. Casey (30): fantastic swing for upside here. casey brings intelligent and responsible two-way defense with the potential to become that much better offensively. his size will always be talked about, but he can certainly overcome it by building his strength. super fun project

102. Brennan (NR): i dont scout goalies so any time you come away with a guy who i not only have heard of but loosely know about, its a win. clear value. hes big, reacts well, and displays composure in net. hard to argue such an athletic pick

110. Orlov (NR): not ranked but i loosely know. he takes care of his own zone while playing a simple, mobile game that should translate well. wont be a pick that stands out in a major way, but could be a steady presence on the back end. going for another LD is debatable

126. Leddy (NR): another not ranked but i know him. hes a strict defense only defender, which is not bad. he plays the position the way it was intended to be played. he plays a physical game but isnt irresponsible about it. feel like hes a decent bet to get games in some capacity

141. Hauser (NR): im sorry petr but i literally just heard your name for the first time today i have nothing to add

166. Filmon (WL): very interesting one. all the makings of another 6th round steal. theres clear uncertainty in his game but slipping this far was unwarranted. skates well, shoots well, has good potential as a power forward winger. cant wait to see what he is in a few years

198. Barabosha (86): incredible value pick this late in the draft. total beast defender. hes mean, aggressive, and a pain to play against. needs to refine picking his spots but his defense is still solid. offensive upside is eh but high potential to be luke hughes's marc methot

honestly, a very good day at the draft. i wouldnt say im over the moon with it, but theres clear intent on these picks, and outside of 141 they didnt really surprise me with anyone. i think fitzgeralds vision is much clearer here than in 20 or 21. great stuff

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Still can’t get over this lmao. So wholesome.

6E726AA6-1823-4B38-BC9B-387753F12C21.jpeg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How would he compare to Okhotyuk in terms of NHL potential?
Fairly similar player-types -- both mobile, physical defenders with size and decent ability with the puck. Of course, Okhotyuk plays the left side and Barabosha the right. They're about similar size. Barabosha relishes the big hit a bit more, and also will flash a bit more offensive aggression.

A half decade down the line, it's not impossible to envision Okhotyuk paired with Nemec and Barabosha with Luke Hughes. You need that sort of balance on a D pair unless you have a Doughty-type or Hedman-type who can play with anyone.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

Now that this draft is over I am wondering how you would rank this Devils draft compared to recent years? More hits then misses or less head scratchers etc?
Best draft in the Fitzgerald era in terms of overall strategy and value. Of course, Fitz had 3 first rounders in 2020 so that's tough to top for overall talent. But 2022 was far better than 2021.

Last year, Luke Hughes was a grand slam but then we whiffed on every pick by a mile under Bardakov in Round 7. Salminen in the 3rd was downright embarrassing, while Hurtig was simply asinine. Stillman would have been fine if we had traded down and gained more assets, but was not the right pick at #29.

This year, Fitzgerald definitely had a concrete plan. Tons of high-floor players, tons of RD, and the best goalie possible. The only home run swing was Brennan, but that's a big time home run swing -- he has the size and athleticism to seriously progress into a heroic pick over the next half decade. Nemec of course becomes an immediate foundational piece.

I'll do a full write up of the draft after I get some much-needed sleep.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Best draft in the Fitzgerald era in terms of overall strategy and value. Of course, Fitz had 3 first rounders in 2020 so that's tough to top for overall talent. But 2022 was far better than 2021.

Last year, Luke Hughes was a grand slam but then we whiffed on every pick by a mile under Bardakov in Round 7. Salminen in the 3rd was downright embarrassing, while Hurtig was simply asinine. Stillman would have been fine if we had traded down and gained more assets, but was not the right pick at #29.

This year, Fitzgerald definitely had a concrete plan. Tons of high-floor players, tons of RD, and the best goalie possible. The only home run swing was Brennan, but that's a big time home run swing -- he has the size and athleticism to seriously progress into a heroic pick over the next half decade. Nemec of course becomes an immediate foundational piece.

Even trading down and taking Stillman and getting those assets is not justifiable unless you're getting a home run on that other pick and I wouldn't have trusted them to do that. Raty, Stankoven, Zellweger, Morrow>>>Stillman and another pick.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz

So for an overall grade we landed in B+\A- territory?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Even trading down and taking Stillman and getting those assets is not justifiable unless you're getting a home run on that other pick and I wouldn't have trusted them to do that. Raty, Stankoven, Zellweger, Morrow>>>Stillman and another pick.
Morrow would have been the obvious call. Raty also could have been challenging for Devils #3C as early as next year. Definitely a missed opportunity.

So for an overall grade we landed in B+\A- territory?
I'd say B+, because the strategy was conservative aside from the Nemec and Brennan picks. If Brennan develops to his potential, this draft could move up to A+, and the Devils took so many high-floor players I can't see it dropping down much.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm way more happy with this draft than last years' that's for damn sure. Good job by the scouting team.

Reactions: Guadana

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I'm going to guess that Morrison already has a deal worked out with some NHL team that he really wants to play for and told teams he wouldn't sign except for with the team he wants to go to.

That HAS to be the reason.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Can't wait to read that, Steve. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i like this devils draft. sacrificing the third round pick and some spots in the second round was costly, but needed. the goalie rotation needed an upgrade with a player not made out of glass. vanecek played 1000 minutes more than blackwood. the coaches hopefully trust them both and let them share the starts until one of them clearly separates himself.

the picks were a little too d heavy. but i complained for years about the lack of rhd in the pipeline, that i can't really say something negative now. with the hindsight of the orlov, leddy and barabosha picks a forward instead of casey could have made sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm going to guess that Morrison already has a deal worked out with some NHL team that he really wants to play for and told teams he wouldn't sign except for with the team he wants to go to.

That HAS to be the reason.

He could've signed weeks ago, afaik nothing prevents players who are overage from signing NHL contracts at any time.

EDIT: This is incorrect, players who are undrafted are only eligible to sign a contract between the draft and the beginning of the NHL season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad