2022 Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Man I really hope this isn't the case.

If we don't bring anyone decent in during UFA, I wonder if that signals Yzerman might trade the sort of tweener roster players (Vrana, Bertuzzi, Hronek) and double down on the rebuild.

If we're not going to bring in talent this summer then I'm not sure how much sense it makes to keep those guys around.
This is the same way the Tigers are being run, and it's ugly.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Hopefully we just get a a lot of salary dumps for more picks. Absolutely no reason to sign anything better than 3rd or 4th line grind players considering we’re at least 3-4 years away from competing.

Reactions: Spitfire11

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’m optimistic this could be the year that prices are actually reasonable.

A lot of teams have no cap space to spare.
A lot of other teams don’t seem too interested in winning right now.
Some teams are getting smarter, and less likely to bid up a middle of roster free agent.

Seems like there are more solid UFA players, then there will be bidders and money to go around.

We’ll see, but if the trade market is any early indication… there might not be many teams diving head first into free agency this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Hopefully we just get a a lot of salary dumps for more picks. Absolutely no reason to sign anything better than 3rd or 4th line grind players considering we’re at least 3-4 years away from competing.

giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's never healthy. He's played 74 combined regular season games the last two seasons. If you look throughout his entire career, he's had injury troubles pretty much every season after his first couple of years. There's no reason paying big money to a melon. Plus, you saw what happened to Fedorov went he joined Anaheim and Columbus later in his career. Just looked out of place. Think Bret Hart in WCW. Malkin should stay in Pittsburgh or retire. And the Red Wings should stay away from him.
Odd that you mention Feds because he was a good mentor in DC, which would be the same role for Malkin. Feds got the Caps out of the first round. They wanted him to stay but didn't have the cap space, and the KHL was willing to pay more than he was worth.

Wings have enough space, they can do performance bonus since Malkin is >35. The only issue with that is the contract would have to be one year only, and I don't know if Malkin would go for that. I bet he'll play at least 3/4 of the games if his ice time is managed better.

If anything, his injury history might mean that he'll come cheaper than expected. I'd rather not commit long term to Strome or Copp. Maybe Trotchek, but I think whoever signs Copp will regret it in 3 years.

Giroux is probably gonna want at least 3 years, and Domi has issues. There's not a single UFA that doesn't make me cringe at least a little considering the team will have to overpay.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
"- Marek was told Yzerman has no interest in giving UFA term"

Very dissappointing to hear. After all the talk about improving (some from UFA etc.).

So no Trocheck? no Copp? no Klingon? all will want 5y+

Claude Giroux, 3yrs+ * $whatever , come on down!!
This is what I have been saying all season, Malkin, Giroux, Stastny (rumors are he wants to re-sign) or maybe even Domi. Maatta, Kempny or Zadorov on D.

It's either a player at the end of their career, a reclamation project, or overpaying a flawed player like Zadarov.

My only wish list is AA. I want this board to explode, lol. $3Mx3 for sheer entertainment.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I still could see Yzerman giving contracts for UFA's anywhere from 1-4 years but likely nothing more than that. However he may get what he wants via trade.

Last edited:

DTR

Dec 13, 2021

Just a general news update. Seems like a lot of people anticipate Klingberg ending up in Seattle.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
R.9597525e2bb3ebe2615c03195d523807

Kadri to the ‘Wings should tank forever’ crowd after he inks a 4 year deal with Detroit.

I have a gut feeling Kadri wants to end up in Detroit.

Last edited:

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I cannot see Stevie Y giving the kind of money Kadri is asking for.
My feeling is he actually wants to play in Detroit. Grew up a Wings fan, close to his hometown and he is very close to his family. His father would be able to drive to every home game . Detroit also happens to have a lot of cap space.

If a great player wants to play for you. You sit down and try and hammer out a deal that both sides can be happy with.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
My feeling is he actually wants to play in Detroit. Grew up a Wings fan, close to his hometown and he is very close to his family. His father would be able to drive to every home game . Detroit also happens to have a lot of cap space.

If a great player wants to play for you. You sit down and try and hammer out a deal that both sides can be happy with.

My feeling is he wants another Stanley cup and sticks with Colorado at a 1 year discount deal.

Reactions: Gniwder

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Odd that you mention Feds because he was a good mentor in DC, which would be the same role for Malkin. Feds got the Caps out of the first round. They wanted him to stay but didn't have the cap space, and the KHL was willing to pay more than he was worth.

Wings have enough space, they can do performance bonus since Malkin is >35. The only issue with that is the contract would have to be one year only, and I don't know if Malkin would go for that. I bet he'll play at least 3/4 of the games if his ice time is managed better.

If anything, his injury history might mean that he'll come cheaper than expected. I'd rather not commit long term to Strome or Copp. Maybe Trotchek, but I think whoever signs Copp will regret it in 3 years.

Giroux is probably gonna want at least 3 years, and Domi has issues. There's not a single UFA that doesn't make me cringe at least a little considering the team will have to overpay.
Malkin is still a PPG player when available. Fedorov was washed in Washington (no pun intended). A team signing Malkin in 2022 is looking for more than just mentorship.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I just can't see anyone else beating whatever Pittsburgh is willing to pay Malkin with how unreliable healthwise he is plus him being about to turn 36

Pittsburgh will offer him a solid deal with his history there so he might as well just stay since noones gonna offer him anything crazy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Just a general news update. Seems like a lot of people anticipate Klingberg ending up in Seattle.

Seems like the media has every UFA going to Seattle, lol.

Seattle does need a replacement for Gio, and with 2 young centers the team looks a lot more attractive now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad