2022 Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yzerman with $31m current capspace.

I smell a lot of nervous GM's right now.

1657501656932.png

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Seider and Raymond both played 82 games, Hronek played 78,Suter played 82, Ned played 59( a lot of games for a Goalie)

Larkin played 71 games, Bertuzzi played 68 plus essentially chose to sit out another 9(silly to count that as an injury)

Fabbri missed some games but he usually misses games and will probably miss more games next year than he did this year

Vrana is something but overall if you look at the Wings injuries compared to other teams they were pretty healthy relatively speaking

the Wings are more likely than not to be affected more by injuries next year than they were this year

I mean, I was also kind of pointing out how ridiculous the sign Malkin to trade him and Larkin away. Even if the Wings are more proportionately hurt by injuries this year than last (although, while Larkin played 71 games... he was clearly not himself for at least the last 20 of those), they're also not going to necessarily sit on 20m in cap space and only sign league minimum contracts for guys who are marginally better than DDK was last year. They're going to add at least one, maybe two veteran forwards and two, maybe three veteran D. The larger overall point is that the Wings are basically returning essentially the same team but swapping out broken DeKeyser, don't give a shit Leddy, and MIA for the first four months of the season Vrana with upgrades or the return of Vrana. This team is not likely to be in the 5 best odds for the lottery unless everything goes completely tits up.

Reactions: Snuggs

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
When Malkin is healthy, he's a superstar. When Larkin is healthy, he's a star and legit 1C. Malkin is being asked to go to a losing team from a playoff team.

Also a 2 year contract is going to pay higher. Totally different situations. Forsberg contract is more comparable for Larkin.

Not to mention if Malkin actually joins the team (rather small chance I admit), then Larkin might get bumped down to PP2 which would drop his stats.
He's never healthy. He's played 74 combined regular season games the last two seasons. If you look throughout his entire career, he's had injury troubles pretty much every season after his first couple of years. There's no reason paying big money to a melon. Plus, you saw what happened to Fedorov went he joined Anaheim and Columbus later in his career. Just looked out of place. Think Bret Hart in WCW. Malkin should stay in Pittsburgh or retire. And the Red Wings should stay away from him.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
He's never healthy. He's played 74 combined regular season games the last two seasons. If you look throughout his entire career, he's had injury troubles pretty much every season after his first couple of years. There's no reason paying big money to a melon. Plus, you saw what happened to Fedorov went he joined Anaheim and Columbus later in his career. Just looked out of place. Think Bret Hart in WCW. Malkin should stay in Pittsburgh or retire. And the Red Wings should stay away from him.
agreed. Based on the articles i've read, his heart is still in pittsburgh. Not sure if he will be the same player if he goes to another team. combine that with age and injury history, I would not offer the kind of money and term he is asking for if I was another gm

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
From the 32 Thoughts Pod

- The Larkin deal is tracking to get done soon
- Marek was told Yzerman has no interest in giving UFA term

Reactions: NickH8

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
just out of curiosity have we heard anything yet about the Wings and qualifying offers? lot of RFAs this year even though none of them really particularly matter

I assume Zadina definitely gets one but will be interesting to see if they bother giving one to Stephens/Walman/Juolevi/Pearson

Reactions: Holden Caufield

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
just out of curiosity have we heard anything yet about the Wings and qualifying offers? lot of RFAs this year even though none of them really particularly matter

I assume Zadina definitely gets one but will be interesting to see if they bother giving one to Stephens/Walman/Juolevi/Pearson

We'll know at some point after 5PM today.

Seemed like Yzerman was really high on Walman and the team is real thin on LD, so I'd be really surprised if they let him walk.

Stephens and Pearson are cheap center depth that won't count against the vet maximum in GR (if they don't make the NHL squad) and have little ammo when it comes to arbitration (not that the Wings have to worry about them getting slightly overpaid anyway...), so they probably get qualified/re-signed.

I think it's probably just Juolevi who joins Fulcher and Larsson as Wings RFA's that don't get qualified.

Reactions: Henkka

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Any news on the Larkin situation? Doesn't he have NTC starting tomorrow?

I think it kicks in on the 13th and that's when it is expected for Yzerman to negotiate/sign him. But based on Yzerman's answer at the draft, I doubt we'll know anything until Larkin is signed (or traded).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
From the 32 Thoughts Pod

- The Larkin deal is tracking to get done soon
- Marek was told Yzerman has no interest in giving UFA term
"- Marek was told Yzerman has no interest in giving UFA term"

Very dissappointing to hear. After all the talk about improving (some from UFA etc.).

So no Trocheck? no Copp? no Klingon? all will want 5y+

Claude Giroux, 3yrs+ * $whatever , come on down!!

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I think it kicks in on the 13th and that's when it is expected for Yzerman to negotiate/sign him. But based on Yzerman's answer at the draft, I doubt we'll know anything until Larkin is signed (or traded).

Seems like a guy committed to staying….
He would probably be blindsided if he is traded in the next 2 days, considering he is still building team moral with 18 year olds.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Wow that's when Larkin has more leverage. Hopefully it will get resolved fast. We need to get a lot better.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Very dissappointing to hear. After all the talk about improving (some from UFA etc.).

Who knows. Let Yzerman work his miracles. Maybe he goes after Strome with 3 year deal like he did with Suter, 2 years.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I don't think any of those players are good enough to warrant 5+ years on this team. There's good UFAs every year and I believe Yzerman will get decent UFAs signed to reasonable deals that don't have a ton of downside.

I'm not even sure we would want Klingberg, but I'd be happy to take him. His value is being a top PPQB. Do we really need that?

I also think that Copp is more of a role player than someone to sign for 5 years at big money. Trocheck is the closest guy and he is still a 2nd or 3rd line center at best.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think any of those players are good enough to warrant 5+ years on this team. There's good UFAs every year and I believe Yzerman will get decent UFAs signed to reasonable deals that don't have a ton of downside.

I'm not even sure we would want Klingberg, but I'd be happy to take him. His value is being a top PPQB. Do we really need that?

I also think that Copp is more of a role player than someone to sign for 5 years at big money. Trocheck is the closest guy and he is still a 2nd or 3rd line center at best.
Trocheck is for sure worth it, IMO. He was great in the playoffs.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021

it’s very rare for Yzerman to ever hand out term to UFA so this isn’t a shock. My hunch is an agent is the one that told that to Marek, so I’m sure it’s been communicated out to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad