2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yes. So he’s doubling down on what he said on his podcast, that we would pass on Jiricek.

He says "I'm not sure what the Jackets do." I can't see how this is doubling down (not sure what language he used the first time), it's very wishy-washy.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He says "I'm not sure what the Jackets do." I can't see how this is doubling down (not sure what language he used the first time), it's very wishy-washy.
Can’t directly quote what he said on podcast, it was a few days ago, but he said he felt the jackets don’t view Jiricek as having enough offensive upside to select him at 6. That he’s too old school, shut down style to warrant that high of a pick. Could just be his opinion, not something he’s heard, but considering he’s now said/posted it twice, I’m now thinking he knows something.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope he’s wrong. I like Jiricek

Reactions: LJ7

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Can’t directly quote what he said on podcast, it was a few days ago, but he said he felt the jackets don’t view Jiricek as having enough offensive upside to select him at 6. That he’s too old school, shut down style to warrant that high of a pick. Could just be his opinion, not something he’s heard, but considering he’s now said/posted it twice, I’m now thinking he knows something.

I guess. The whole article (and his opinions about who we draft in general) seem preeeeetty uninformed and speculative to me. He's going off his "sense" versus any real sourced info. He's also gotta talk about something - saying twice he's not sure they'd pick Jiricek at 6 is basically saying nothing twice IMO.

But at the same time, we also have to talk about something, so here we are :)

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I guess. The whole article (and his opinions about who we draft in general) seem preeeeetty uninformed and speculative to me. He's going off his "sense" versus any real sourced info. He's also gotta talk about something - saying twice he's not sure they'd pick Jiricek at 6 is basically saying nothing twice IMO.

But at the same time, we also have to talk about something, so here we are :)
"My sense is..." is also a good way to say something he knows without directly saying it or revealing how he heard it. I'll just decide to match his level of certainty on it so that's my sense now too :laugh:. Could just be something he heard second hand, or a true personal sense based on what he thinks the team values.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
We are talking about the same guy who published the headline "Jackets take Brandon Gormley at 4" in 2010 :sarcasm:

I mostly like Portzy but I don't think Jarmo and co. would tip their hand to him in such a way. Seems very speculative.

Reactions: Monk and LJ7

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
"My sense is..." is also a good way to say something he knows without directly saying it or revealing how he heard it. I'll just decide to match his level of certainty on it so that's my sense now too :laugh:. Could just be something he heard second hand, or a true personal sense based on what he thinks the team values.

Well he starts 4 out of 7 paragraphs in the "Draft" section of the article with "My sense" so he must know a lot more than usual this year :laugh:

So I was wondering this earlier this morning:

Which if any of the guys at 6 will play with the big club this season?

I could put my HFB hat on and make something up here, but I really don't have an answer to this question. Curious to hear what others more informed think.

My guess is WILL is a not-zero answer, whereas SHOULD is likely zero.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So what’s going to be the mood or the board if Gauthier is gone at 6 , and we draft Kasper ? Praying that Gauthier makes it to 6 , but If he’s gone , I can see Jarmo passing on Jiricek and going with off the board pick, in Kasper

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
So I was wondering this earlier this morning:

Which if any of the guys at 6 will play with the big club this season?
My hunch is that anybody who might make the team out of camp will be long gone by six (basically Wright and Slafkovsky, with Cooley a long shot). So I would project none. And even if they keep the 12th pick, I don't see any immediate help there.

So I don't see any new faces in the CBJ from this draft next season unless they trade up. And I don't expect it to happen.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This sounds terrible and will put an unfortunate cloud on the draft. My thoughts to the Sharks organization as this must be very hard for them and their staff. It really puts some things in perspective.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I feel like any trades per Jarmo's statements today, ala Chychrun - would not happen until draft time unless something changes in the offered deal. I feel per Jarmo's word that he waiting to see who is available at 6 and at 12 before he would entertain trading.

Per Jarmo - status quo

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel like any trades per Jarmo's statements today, ala Chychrun - would not happen until draft time unless something changes in the offered deal. I feel per Jarmo's word that he waiting to see who is available at 6 and at 12 before he would entertain trading.

Per Jarmo - status quo
Probably that and GMs love putting pressure on each other and seeing who blinks 1st. Probably has a top end price he'll pay for Chychrun amd whoever else he's looking into and waiting for someone to meet him at that price. If it doesnt happen the scout in him will gladly take multiple 1st round selections again

Reactions: Hello Johnny

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He indicated the thought was Jiricek was a "30 pt" defenseman and that's not the type you take at the top of the draft. I do think he has been speculating a LOT and not because it's him but I think this draft just simply doesn't have a true pecking order. I wouldn't be shocked if NJD took Nemec, for example, at #2OA. that would change things a lot. I just can't wait for tomorrow night to get here.

Although I have a shit ton of work to finish and this isn't helping.

I have nothing to base this on but I feel like Jarmo will take Yurov or Miro at 12 if either is still there
I've said that previosly as well but think Mintyukov fits that sentiment as well.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Why does everything think we are talking to Arizona about Chychrun? From what I have seen people know Chychrun is available and they hear we are talking to Arizona, so therefore it must be Chychrun. I think it would be hilarious if we made a trade for Schmaltz.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I’m getting cold feet selecting Jiricek at 6OA if he falls. I’d be okay trading down at that point, anyone else?
Yea not sure about Jiricek, I doubt Jarmo picks him too. Just feels like Jarmo will go off the board like usual, Kasper, Yurov someone like that is my hunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille