2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m getting cold feet selecting Jiricek at 6OA if he falls. I’d be okay trading down at that point, anyone else?
Nah. I’m taking the 6’3 RHD thank you very much.

If he’s on the board at 6 and jarmo passes on him for a project center or a winger I will be furious. Unless, of course, somehow Gauthier and Jiricek are both there and he opts for Gauthier.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

If he’s on the board at 6 and jarmo passes on him for a project center or a winger I will be furious. Unless, of course, somehow Gauthier and Jiricek are both there and he opts for Gauthier.
I've tried to prepare myself for us taking Kapser over Jiricek or something but I'm not sure I can get there

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Kyle Woodlief of the Red Line Report makes his guesses (I hope he's wrong - Jiricek is still on the board at #6 in his mock):

6. Columbus Blue Jackets (from Chicago Blackhawks) — C Matt Savoie​

5-10, 170, Winnipeg (Western Hockey League)

If you are drafting solely on ability, Savoie goes in the top five. But teams may have him lower because he’s only 5-foot-9. You just have to convince yourself he’s another Paul Kariya or Marty St. Louis.

12. Columbus Blue Jackets — C Frank Nazar​

5-10, 180, U.S. under-18 team

Great hands, clever player, shifty, dynamic. Could sneak into the top 10. Fascinating potential.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I have 2 points that I am connecting so please bear with me for a sec.

- If Jiricek/Nemec is there at the time to select them at 6OA and he passes on them.

- Then no chance he trades Ceulemans as part of a trade for Chychrun - our only RD

- You have to believe Ceulemans is probably the ask from the Coyotes since he is one of our highest prospects.

Just a thought?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Can’t directly quote what he said on podcast, it was a few days ago, but he said he felt the jackets don’t view Jiricek as having enough offensive upside to select him at 6. That he’s too old school, shut down style to warrant that high of a pick. Could just be his opinion, not something he’s heard, but considering he’s now said/posted it twice, I’m now thinking he knows something.

I hope I’m wrong. I hope he’s wrong. I like Jiricek

I don't think he knows anything. When was the last time he had insight into who the Jackets were going to draft?

I think Porty just read the misleading blurb on Jiricek in the tsn article for Bob's list, and is thinking that doesn't fit the new offensive direction of the Jackets. Jiricek has big offensive upside so the situation is really very different.

Zero, I think Wright is the only one that can step in right away. Everyone available at 6 will still have at least one weakness that they need to work on

Based on his play this year, Shane Wright would get eaten alive in the NHL. Slafkovsky and Kasper could handle it okay, perhaps like Sillinger, but it would be the wrong way to develop them (sound familiar?).

So what’s going to be the mood or the board if Gauthier is gone at 6 , and we draft Kasper ? Praying that Gauthier makes it to 6 , but If he’s gone , I can see Jarmo passing on Jiricek and going with off the board pick, in Kasper

I'll be excited to get Kasper, who will be many people's favorite player in time. And I'll trust our scouts. But based on what I know now from watching the players it is the wrong move.

If he’s on the board at 6 and jarmo passes on him for a project center or a winger I will be furious.

I would actually characterize Kasper as the least "project" of any prospect. He's the closest to his NHL upside and he's guaranteed to hold his own. Jiricek is going to take a couple years. I think he has Seider level upside and I would much rather swing on upside than draft the next Dubinsky in the top 10.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I take Jiricek all day long. Its funny how you can talk yourself into or out of favor of a prospect when you look at them for so long. I mean look at Chychrun for example who we are reportedly looking at. He went into a freefall his draft year but has turned out to be pretty close to the early projections

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I take Jiricek all day long. Its funny how you can talk yourself into or out of favor of a prospect when you look at them for so long. I mean look at Chychrun for example who we are reportedly looking at. He went into a freefall his draft year but has turned out to be pretty close to the early projections
why-dont-we-have-both-both.gif
why-dont-we-have-both-both.gif

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I just had an hour drive and obviously the draft is on my mind. Here's my thought piecing together all the Jarmo comments and Coyotes rumors.

#6 and #12 is too much to offer to move up to #3. So what if we offer #6 and #12 plus Bean, Foudy, and Svozil (or similar prospect). For #3 and Chychrun.

We come away with Cooley and Chychrun, they come away with (likely) Gauthier and whomever they like at 12, plus 2 roster players and a prospect.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I just had an hour drive and obviously the draft is on my mind. Here's my thought piecing together all the Jarmo comments and Coyotes rumors.

#6 and #12 is too much to offer to move up to #3. So what if we offer #6 and #12 plus Bean, Foudy, and Svozil (or similar prospect). For #3 and Chychrun.

We come away with Cooley and Chychrun, they come away with (likely) Gauthier and whomever they like at 12, plus 2 roster players and a prospect.
Would be ideal but no chance we're walking away with the two best players while offering up worse picks and pretty meh prospects. That deal would probably need to include a blue chip prospect, maybe two.

Reactions: majormajor

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Would be ideal but no chance we're walking away with the two best players while offering up worse picks and pretty meh prospects. That deal would probably need to include a blue chip prospect, maybe two.
I don't think they hang up the phone though, do you? My goal would be to get the deal done without giving up a Cuelemans, or a current or future top six.

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I feel like Kemmel is a Jarmo pick as well..
I really hope he doesn’t. Having a shot and being able to play a 200ft game - means he would easily be #1. He has a lot of warts for #6OA

Cons - volume shooter from the outside, not a play driver, not a dynamic passer, not great coming off the wall, doesnt make players around him better, not great as a puck transporter, 1/2 inch taller than Savoie (has more tools & more complete) at 5’9.5.

Pros- Great on the PP, advanced forechecking, physical and great shot.

The problem is when he hits a cold streak and disappears for long stretches of games. We have this player in Chinakhov and a unicorn version in Bjorkstrand (but still has some games he disappears when he isn't scoring)

Priority List at 6OA in this order should be the pick

Jiricek
Nemec
Savoie
Kasper
Gauthier
Trade the Pick
Lekermakki - better version of Kemmel
Kemmel

Sorry - hoping against hope Jarmo and Team don‘t make that faux paus. I think if he is there at 12 - yea but he would still be 3-4 choice. Not a fan for this Team

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I really hope he doesn’t. Having a shot and being able to play a 200ft game - means he would easily be #1. He has a lot of warts for #6OA

Cons - volume shooter from the outside, not a play driver, not a dynamic passer, not great coming off the wall, doesnt make players around him better, not great as a puck transporter, 1/2 inch taller than Savoie (has more tools & more complete) at 5’9.5.

The problem is when he hits a cold streak and disappears for long stretches of games. We have this player in Chinakhov and unicorn version in Bjorkstrand (but still has some games he disappears when he isn't scorning)

Jiricek
Nemec
Savoie
Kasper
Gauthier
Trade the Pick
Kemmel

Sorry - hoping against hope Jarmo and Team don‘t make that faux paus. I think if he is there at 12 - yea but he would still be 3-4 choice. Not a fan for this Team
Tbh I think Kemmel is better than Lekkerimaki and Kasper.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The problem is when he hits a cold streak and disappears for long stretches of games. We have this player in Chinakhov and unicorn version in Bjorkstrand (but still has some games he disappears when he isn't scorning)

Jiricek
Nemec
Savoie
Kasper
Gauthier
Trade the Pick
Kemmel

That's sort of how I see it.

Kemell's way of scoring in the Liiga with volume shooting isn't going to work against NHL goalies. At the same time he's a smart well built skilled player, he probably adapts to the NHL and becomes a good scorer, maybe a Bjorkstrand type. Part of my hesitancy is that it's hard to project how his Euro style game will change. That and he's a non-elite winger, you can't take that at #6. Maybe at #12, but like you I have some other favorites there.

He's probably not 5'9 by the way, he's visibly taller than players that height and well built too. I don't know what got messed up at the combine.

Reactions: Youngguns80

Youngguns80

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Tbh I think Kemmel is better than Lekkerimaki and Kasper.

That is why this forum is great everyone can have an opinion.

FYI - true scouting services that actually go and watch the prospect - value Kasper and Lekermakki higher than Kemmell.

But I appreciate your affinity for Kemell as I have a love fest with Kasper and Savoie. No offense, I hope your Kemell choice doesn't come to light.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

FYI - true scouting services that actually go and watch the prospect - value Kasper and Lekermakki higher than Kemmell.

But I appreciate your affinity for Kemell as I have a love fest with Kasper and Savoie. No offense, I hope your Kemell choice doesn't come to light.
Dylan Travers loves Kemell. Definitely made me second guess what I thought about him when watching his video on him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have spotted a few that prefer Kemell to Lek and some even over Kasper. Bob's scouts had them all about the same.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I don't think they hang up the phone though, do you? My goal would be to get the deal done without giving up a Cuelemans, or a current or future top six.
That deals starts with Cuelemans and probably Texier. Those are their two biggest tradable assets. I dont see them doing that trade unless its a huge overpayment. They know the draft drops off a lot after Cooley

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
That deals starts with Cuelemans and probably Texier. Those are their two biggest tradable assets. I dont see them doing that trade unless its a huge overpayment. They know the draft drops off a lot after Cooley
I wouldn't have a problem with Tex, I'd do everything I could to keep our only RD prospect though.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Kemmel is above Lekkerimaki and Kasper on McKenzie’s list. That second comment is kind of rude, especially to people who have watched them play.

Kemmel and Lekkerimaki have much higher upside than Kasper. When I see Kasper I see Artem Anisimov. The other two I see Eberle/Petterson.

Kemmel is scoring at a more productive rate than Rantanen or Aho were and his 5v5 production is equal goals to assists. 45 CF% on a terrible team.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad