2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I definitely appreciate your point of view on Savoie. By no means is he perfect, and I concede that maybe I'm too I love with his tools that it fluffs up my expectations for him.

It's mostly a gut feeling. Same gut feeling I've had with players such as Kyle Connor, Robert Thomas, Josh Norris, Seth Jarvis, and last year, Matthew Coronato and Xavier Bourgault. Just have/had a good feeling.
I think I understand. :laugh: If being honest, I don't even know how large part of my takes are influenced by some vague "gut feeling" which may tell me to rank someone higher or lower. If that feeling lingers in my mind for too long and starts to annoy me, then I try to rationalize it and find a convincing explanation/cause for it from the tapes, reports, other people's posts and stats... and after all if I haven't found "the cause" for it and I'm still not able to explain it with words, then I'm in an awkward position where I kind of feel that I just have to make an arbitrary decision on whether should I more trust my "brain" in ranking this player or my "heart/gut feeling".

For example, I had trouble at ranking players of my top-5 group. Without the "gut feeling", Nemec could have easily finished #5 on my list, and Duda might have been excluded from the list altogether.

I've also greatly enjoyed the discussions in this thread. Keep them coming. I hope to see a lot of chat here on Thursday and Friday.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
For sure, but if Buchelnikov walks an MHL defender better than a Canadian kid walks a pylon, then I feel comfortable assessing his talent level.

A lot of prospects could have gotten big minutes for Slovakia. That might have some relevance with Nemec. What was special with Slafkovsky was that he took those minutes and then carried the team against NHL level defenders. Who does that?
We don't have similar player like Slafkovsky in offense. But where is written than an American/Canadian player like Cooley, Gauthie or Kasper from Austria couldn't. You know Craig Ramsey support young players and give them chance. He offer prefers him even if they aren't so good. Result: Slafkovsky, Nemec, Kňažko, Regenda, Kelemen, Sýkora, if Mešár isn't injured he would play too etc. I doubt another coach in our team do it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think I understand. :laugh: If being honest, I don't even know how large part of my takes are influenced by some vague "gut feeling" which may tell me to rank someone higher or lower. If that feeling lingers in my mind for too long and starts to annoy me, then I try to rationalize it and find a convincing explanation/cause for it from the tapes, reports, other people's posts and stats... and after all if I haven't found "the cause" for it and I'm still not able to explain it with words, then I'm in an awkward position where I kind of feel that I just have to make an arbitrary decision on whether should I more trust my "brain" in ranking this player or my "heart/gut feeling".

For example, I had trouble at ranking players of my top-5 group. Without the "gut feeling", Nemec could have easily finished #5 on my list, and Duda might have been excluded from the list altogether.

I've also greatly enjoyed the discussions in this thread. Keep them coming. I hope to see a lot of chat here on Thursday and Friday.

I found that doing write-ups for every player clarified my views. In some cases I could make a good argument for them and in some cases I couldn't, even for guys I had good feelings for. It shuffled my rankings.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Yep I have a similar thought process. I battled my gut with Savoie's ranking, knocking him down to 16 at one point, and ultimately ended up trusting my gut, which by the way has been wrong many, many times :laugh:

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We don't have similar player like Slafkovsky in offense. But where is written than an American/Canadian player like Cooley, Gauthie or Kasper from Austria couldn't. You know Craig Ramsey support young players and give them chance. He offer prefers him even if they aren't so good. Result: Slafkovsky, Nemec, Kňažko, Regenda, Kelemen, Sýkora, if Mešár isn't injured he would play too etc. I doubt another coach in our team do it.

What's kind of amazing is that without Craig Ramsay, Slafkovsky might not even be going in the top 8 or so picks. He not only played him but he got him to find his best game. That's what NHL teams liked - when Slaf was playing Liiga he was a tamed bull and not very good. They don't want him to play that way, they want him unshackled and running all over the ice, all 200 ft.

Kasper did play in the same tournaments and looked very impressive, just not on Slaf level. I doubt any other prospect would have looked as good as this two did, they're extremely mature and remarkably high endurance players, but we'll never know.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
My within reason dream scenario for Thursday night is Jiricek at 6 and Mintyukov at 12. Could put us on track towards having a Colorado-esque blueline. With Gauthier rising I think we'll have a real shot a Jiricek.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What's kind of amazing is that without Craig Ramsay, Slafkovsky might not even be going in the top 8 or so picks. He not only played him but he got him to find his best game. That's what NHL teams liked - when Slaf was playing Liiga he was a tamed bull and not very good. They don't want him to play that way, they want him unshackled and running all over the ice, all 200 ft.

Kasper did play in the same tournaments and looked very impressive, just not on Slaf level. I doubt any other prospect would have looked as good as this two did, they're extremely mature and remarkably high endurance players, but we'll never know.
Craig Ramsey knows how to play to a player's strengths and at the same time not bench a young player for a mistake. I myself am surprised by the progress of, for example, Pavol Regenda. Or Adam Sykora. Slafkovsky too.

Reactions: majormajor

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
If Jiricek is there at 6 and Jarmo trades down, my first reaction will be :eek3: and then I'll ask what we got

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My within reason dream scenario for Thursday night is Jiricek at 6 and Mintyukov at 12. Could put us on track towards having a Colorado-esque blueline. With Gauthier rising I think we'll have a real shot a Jiricek.

That's my dream too. I think Jiricek is realistic, but Jiricek+Mintyukov is something I don't see Jarmo doing. I don't think he'll go double D. I think Viqsi's dream of Jiricek+Nazar is perhaps the most likely combination, and also an outcome I'd be pleased with.

• Love
Reactions: Viqsi and CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If we have Trikozov, Sykora, Goyette, and Hutson to choose from with pick #44, who do you take? I think there's a good chance for each of them to be available.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In peoples opinions what seperates Minyukov and Korchinski? Korchinski seems like a late bloomer in skill and physical growth. How far do we think he can ride that wave and how high is the potential

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If we have Trikozov, Sykora, Goyette, and Hutson to choose from with pick #44, who do you take? I think there's a good chance for each of them to be available.
Who do we think has higher upside between Trikozov and Goyette. Id almost lean Goyette but im not gonna pretend to fully know these players to a degree Id stand by that.
Also what do you think about a scouting service like SMAHT putting Trikozov 8th overall on their list. They must see something noone else seems to see

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who do we think has higher upside between Trikozov and Goyette. Id almost lean Goyette but im not gonna pretend to fully know these players to a degree Id stand by that.
Also what do you think about a scouting service like SMAHT putting Trikozov 8th overall on their list. They must see something noone else seems to see

They're both super high upside. A lot of the young twitter scouts love Trikozov, he's obviously super skilled, it's more about how much do you want to ignore his warts and take a swing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In peoples opinions what seperates Minyukov and Korchinski? Korchinski seems like a late bloomer in skill and physical growth. How far do we think he can ride that wave and how high is the potential

They could both score 60 pts in the NHL, a lot of offensive upside. It's virtually everything else where Korchinski comes up short. He's a turnover machine and it might get even worse at the NHL level. He doesn't seem to have the know how or the technically smooth skating to defend well. Mintyukov is going to be an above average defender, there's very little to hold him back from that.

Reactions: LJ7

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
They could both score 60 pts in the NHL, a lot of offensive upside. It's virtually everything else where Korchinski comes up short. He's a turnover machine and it might get even worse at the NHL level. He doesn't seem to have the know how or the technically smooth skating to defend well. Mintyukov is going to be an above average defender, there's very little to hold him back from that.
On Columbus's facebook page they share profiles of the top prospects as you may have seen and they compare Mintyukov to Montour. A lot of what iread almost makes me think of Provorov, are either of those close in your opinion?

Also they compare Korchinski to Schultz

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On Columbus's facebook page they share profiles of the top prospects as you may have seen and they compare Mintyukov to Montour. A lot of what iread almost makes me think of Provorov, are either of those close in your opinion?

Also they compare Korchinski to Schultz

Stylistically seems like a bit of both. Montour is a highly engaged rover so I can see why people use that comparison, but Mintyukov played that way in his team context, it isn't the way he played before last year. He should be more adaptable than Montour. I think he is at a similar level to where Provorov was in his draft year. Provy has disappointed me as a pro but he was a top D in a stacked class for a good reason.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I feel that Mintyukov is a sort of Swiss army knife. It seems like he was given the reigns to play a heavy offensive game, but that he's capable of holding back and playing a more conservative game if that's what's needed of him.

You bring up an interesting question about Korchinski. The article that talks about his growth spurt unexpectedly improving some areas of his skating was interesting – I wonder if his awkward turning exits are still under construction in that regard.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Korchinski does have the advantage in the “Ryan Murray two line stretch pass” ability. He’s pretty good at hitting people at the red line from his own zone. Maybe that’s just me tho

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Gleb Trikozov. Highest upside in my opinion. I think he's a 1st round talent but going to slide as a Russian. I'd prefer Neuchev myself. I think he's going to be really good

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

Porty doubles down on us passing on Jiricek if he’s there at 6

I'm starting to feel like this may be Kasper if the other "big 5" are off the board. The Sportsnet mock has us going with him and think he may go even higher.

6. Columbus: Marco Kasper, C, Rogle (SHL): This is the player most likely to shake-up the top part of the draft, and slotting him at No. 6 may be too low.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Porty doubles down on us passing on Jiricek if he’s there at 6

Here's what he actually wrote:

"My sense: one of the top defensemen — Simon Nemec or David Jiricek, but probably Jiricek — will be on the board when the Blue Jackets draft No. 6. (There’s no way in a draft like this that there aren’t surprises.) If that happens, it’ll probably mean that power center Cutter Gauthier jumped into the top 5. In that scenario, I’m not sure what the Jackets do. I wouldn’t be shocked if they took somebody other than Jiricek, or if they traded down in the order."

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here's what he actually wrote:

"My sense: one of the top defensemen — Simon Nemec or David Jiricek, but probably Jiricek — will be on the board when the Blue Jackets draft No. 6. (There’s no way in a draft like this that there aren’t surprises.) If that happens, it’ll probably mean that power center Cutter Gauthier jumped into the top 5. In that scenario, I’m not sure what the Jackets do. I wouldn’t be shocked if they took somebody other than Jiricek, or if they traded down in the order."
Yes. So he’s doubling down on what he said on his podcast, that we would pass on Jiricek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad