Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Curling today was so good. Sweden men wins gold against the Brits in the extra end in a great match. So many great shots made in that game. Both these teams definitely the best in the field this tournament and both could've won just that the Swedes were just abit better today.

As for semi finals in women's the Swiss picked the worst day to play their worse game of the tournament. So dominate the entire round robin and then in the semis against Japan they miss a bunch of shots and end up losing to the Japanese. Now its Britain vs Japan in the finals. Really thought the Swiss would win it all based on how well they played the round robin, but just one bad game and now they play for the bronze.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Let’s have a little competition. Pick your countries gold for the remainder of the Olympics and let’s see how close you can get.

Sweden:

- Sandra Näslund skicross
- Nils van der Poel 10000m speed skating
- Sundling/Dahlqvist sprintrelay
- Team Edin curling
- Biathlonrelay women

Also hoping for Tre Kronor but that can go anyway.

So f***ing close.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Someone mentioned Kaillie Humphries before in a thread about Gu...
But I am fine with her decision...
Because Bobsleigh Canada is a joke.
CBC wrote about a new scandal.

There is also this twitter thread that is really interesting to read.

I know these sleigh sports are pretty fringe in Canada...
But there are always stories of "misused funds" out of Bobsleigh Canada.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Come on, Pechstein. 4 more years. 9th in the mass start is too good to retire.

I love Pechstein...
But if she does it again...
You will just ask for 4 more years.
Eventually...
She will be a skeleton on ice.
:laugh:

Also...
Does Germany has no one in the pipeline?
The last good one was Stephanie Beckett...
But she basically fizzled out after 1 Olympics.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I love Pechstein...
But if she does it again...
You will just ask for 4 more years.
Eventually...
She will be a skeleton on ice.
:laugh:

Also...
Does Germany has no one in the pipeline?
The last good one was Stephanie Beckett...
But she basically fizzled out after 1 Olympics.
Not that I know of. Also, it looks like Claudia gained weight ;)

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Not that I know of. Also, it looks like Claudia gained weight ;)

I can see why you had her poster up.
:naughty:

I always wonder what happened to the German Skating Federation.
The pipeline is completely bare now.
Does no one wants to skate in Germany?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Bronze for 4-men bobsleigh.
The final tally is 26 overall medals.
That is good for 4th.

Not bad...
Not bad at all.

Reactions: Cloned

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I can see why you had her poster up.
:naughty:

I always wonder what happened to the German Skating Federation.
The pipeline is completely bare now.
Does no one wants to skate in Germany?

Was it ever much different? For a while there were some remnants of the GDR program, but there never was much federal German success.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Was it ever much different? For a while there were some remnants of the GDR program, but there never was much federal German success.

I am a complete outsider...
But I really like speed skating...
So I get information here and there from different competitions that I watch.

From what I know...
Germany had a really strong program for a long time...
Especially on the women's side.
Names like Niemann-Stirnemann...
Pechstein...
And Friesinger...
Were recorder holders.
They all won from the 90s to the 2000s.

Stephanie Beckett was supposed to be the successor...
And she won 2 individual silvers and team gold in Vancouver 2010...
But then she just imploded.
Frisesinger blamed Pechstein...
And said her methods ran the skaters to the ground...
As Pechstein and her partner were in charge of the German program then...
But they never had the best relationship to start anyways.

After that...
The program kind of fizzled out.
Beckett's brother is still in it...
But he was never a contender...
And he is pretty much the biggest name left.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, the easterners (including Pechstein and Niemann-Stirnemann) to an extent took over the federal German speed skating federation. That in turn didn't please all westerners (including Friesinger). Pechstein's partner Große is the current skating boss, in communist times he was a military officer and since then earned a reputation as a shady businessman.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, the easterners (including Pechstein and Niemann-Stirnemann) to an extent took over the federal German speed skating federation. That in turn didn't please all westerners (including Friesinger). Pechstein's partner Große is the current skating boss, in communist times he was a military officer and since then earned a reputation as a shady businessman.

Große has his own wiki page.
It looks like he runs it like a mafia boss.

As Eisen posted before...
The German Skate Federation has a lot of internal strives.
It needs a complete overhaul and start fresh.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
best moment of these winter games?

Nick Baumgartner and Lindsey Jacobellis.
Baumgartner finally wins gold at 40...
And Jacobellis becomes a double gold medalist...
16 years after her fall at the finish line in Turin that cost her a gold medal...
Because she wanted to show off.

Wallberg is another one.
He has had major surgeries...
But he came out of nowhere to beat Kingsbury...
The king of Moguls.

Also...
Charles Hamlin wins an Olympic gold in his final Olympics is a very good story as well.

Last edited:

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
not sure why nbc isn't airing the closing ceremony live
It's streaming live on the Peacock app which I get for free via my internet provider. It's actually nice too as it's just the ceremonies with no annoying commentary.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
best moment of these winter games?
Lindsey Jacobellis finally exorcising her demons from the Turin games then helping Nick Baumgartner another long term suffering US athlete get his first medal nevermind it being gold.

The US winning gold in the freestyle aerial team event after not even being expected to medal being complete underdogs.

The insanity of the men's giant slalom taking place in a blizzard wiping out half the field on the first run and allowing some smaller nations who might not have gotten a second run to qualify and get a chance in the spotlight.

Jessie Diggins shocking the world and actually earning two medals in cross country skiing, a sport we are traditionally terrible at.

Irish luger Elsa Desmond finishing last in women's luge and enjoying every minute of it. The important fact was she did indeed finish which can't be said for some of her fellow competitors who where medal favorites in a very brutal course for them.

The Japanese Women's Hockey team winning their pool stage for the first time and showing how far they've come in such a short amount of time.

The Japanese Women's curling team earning silver. They didn't get gold, but watching them make their run with all their enthusiasm and infectious spirit made them a joy to watch.

Monobob existing. Nuff said.

Watching Harri Sateri, a guy who I witnessed start his pro career in the AHL win the gold medal in hockey with Finland.

The crazy men's 1500 meter short track race that thanks to advancments saw ten skaters make the run for the gold. And none of them wiped out or were dq'ed which is a rarity in short track especially with that unprecedented amout of skaters taking part in the final.

Finally last but not least Erin Jackson winning gold in the 500 meter long form speedskating discipline. She wasn't even supposed to compete after she fell at the US qualifiers despite being the world champion at that distance, but her teammate gave up her position in the race to let her run in a true show of sportsmanship.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Lindsey Jacobellis finally exorcising her demons from the Turin games then helping Nick Baumgartner another long term suffering US athlete get his first medal nevermind it being gold.

The US winning gold in the freestyle aerial team event after not even being expected to medal being complete underdogs.

The insanity of the men's giant slalom taking place in a blizzard wiping out half the field on the first run and allowing some smaller nations who might not have gotten a second run to qualify and get a chance in the spotlight.

Jessie Diggins shocking the world and actually earning two medals in cross country skiing, a sport we are traditionally terrible at.

Irish luger Elsa Desmond finishing last in women's luge and enjoying every minute of it. The important fact was she did indeed finish which can't be said for some of her fellow competitors who where medal favorites in a very brutal course for them.

The Japanese Women's Hockey team winning their pool stage for the first time and showing how far they've come in such a short amount of time.

The Japanese Women's curling team earning silver. They didn't get gold, but watching them make their run with all their enthusiasm and infectious spirit made them a joy to watch.

Monobob existing. Nuff said.

Watching Harri Sateri, a guy who I witnessed start his pro career in the AHL win the gold medal in hockey with Finland.

The crazy men's 1500 meter short track race that thanks to advancments saw ten skaters make the run for the gold. And none of them wiped out or were dq'ed which is a rarity in short track especially with that unprecedented amout of skaters taking part in the final.

Finally last but not least Erin Jackson winning gold in the 500 meter long form speedskating discipline. She wasn't even supposed to compete after she fell at the US qualifiers despite being the world champion at that distance, but her teammate gave up her position in the race to let her run in a true show of sportsmanship.
I'm still not used to monobob.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I'm still not used to monobob.

Trust me, the competitors aren't either. They're still working out the kinks of the single person sleds. It should be much better next winter games.

The fact that it exists is enough for me though as it's an answer to a childish question I had ever since I was a kid wondering why if there were two man and four man sleds why can't there be a single person sled?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Trust me, the competitors aren't either. They're still working out the kinks of the single person sleds. It should be much better next winter games.

The fact that it exists is enough for me though as it's an answer to a childish question I had ever since I was a kid wondering why if there were two man and four man sleds why can't there be a single person sled?
Indeed they aren't, I saw the first monobob competition. It was like a babygiraffe's first steps. And it's not a lot better now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille