Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
Congratulation Norway! Bö is so fast on the tracks it is almost unfair! All cred to him.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Yeah. You had some many good ones, but it seems like you haven't been able to replace them.

Norway had a fantastic generation with Bjørndalen, Svendsen etc. - and you thought they wouldn't be able to replace them, but now the team might be stronger than ever. Even when Dale has completely lost it.
Norwegian men team is an absolute unit with so many strong and young athletes. Women team hasn't quite the depth but the top is still amazing.
I really hope we will create some top biathletes again but it will take a long time since we totally missed to replace our strong last generation. Lets see what we can do at the coming junior world championships

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Norwegian men team is an absolute unit with so many strong and young athletes. Women team hasn't quite the depth but the top is still amazing.
I really hope we will create some top biathletes again but it will take a long time since we totally missed to replace our strong last generation.

I could see the women's team collapsing a bit now. Eckhoff and Røiseland are 31. Behind them only Tandrevold is good - and she will never be as good as Eckhoff and Røiseland.

Among the men there are more depth.

Should be said the work done in Norway among biathletes have been amazing for years now. Almost every season there is someone new popping up (Lægreid last year). Hopefully something similar will happen for the women.

Different in cross-country these days. Obviously Norway won't be completely lost (we are really the only country in the world who really care about CC), but depth, especially for women is pathetic. Even for the men behind Klæbo there isn't any potential "superstars" popping up it seems.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wow… reactions from her home country media outlet regarding gu is unbelievable. Especially the ones that continue to use racial terms to describe her decision to compete for China all while purposely and Deliberately ignoring lots of facts.

from traitor to spoiled, to the c word to ungrateful to many bull crap especially from American based YouTubers and media outlets.

Eileen Gus dream SINCE THE AGE OF 13 was to compete for China.

SINCE SHE WAS 13!

She trained in the states. Her coach is American.

She was raised by a single mom with help from her grandmother.

When visiting San Fransico often had racist words thrown at them. In her home town.

she was not accepted by the Chinese ski association unless she’s reached a certain requirement at one of her events. Finally in 2019 the Chinese team allowed her to compete for team China.

lot of things the western media purposely ignore. The bitter community continue to call her “American born skier”

are Canadians freaking out that Kaillie Humphries just won a gold for America ? She’s CANADIAN FOR CRYING OUT LOUD SHES WON GOLD MEDALS FOR CANADA FOR OVER 10 YEARS do we call her out on it ?

Canada also has a Dutch born speed skater. Is Netherlands pissy about it ?

Cyrus recently made a video about other athletes competing for another country.

in the end she choice china. That’s
her choice. It’s not like america never had foreigners compete for them.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What’s funny is that so Chinese are starting to call her out on Gu’s wealth and privilege and her decision to go to Stanford for college will be interesting.

Ultimately, she’ll never be American or Chinese enough to please everyone.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What’s funny is that so Chinese are starting to call her out on Gu’s wealth and privilege and her decision to go to Stanford for college will be interesting.

Ultimately, she’ll never be American or Chinese enough to please everyone.
Your latter point is basically the story of any public figure who is white-Asian mixed and struggle with their identity that I’ve heard. In Asia they’re not Asian enough, even within their own families, and in America they’re something else.

Athletes switching countries isn’t something that’s new, the thing here seems to be that she wants to compete for China even though there doesn’t seem to be much if any evidence that she has ever spent time there, which calls to question if she is legally naturalized or a citizen.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Your latter point is basically the story of any public figure who is white-Asian mixed and struggle with their identity that I’ve heard. In Asia they’re not Asian enough, even within their own families, and in America they’re something else.

Athletes switching countries isn’t something that’s new, the thing here seems to be that she wants to compete for China even though there doesn’t seem to be much if any evidence that she has ever spent time there, which calls to question if she is legally naturalized or a citizen.

In general you don’t have athletes competing for nations that are geopolitical rivals either - which amps the rhetoric up a lot.

Reactions: GKJ

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Though a way bigger factor than any Chinese version of the American one-drop rule is that of success or the lack of it, take Zhu Yi who has Han parents but made the unforgivable error of failing to win a medal which turned all the nationalists against her.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
5 Norwegian medals today. I would have expected 1-3. A shame Eckhoff couldn't win, but credit to Bouchet. The way she won was oh so impressive.

Impressive, Norway is killing it as usual.

A bad day for us swedes, lost men's hockey semi and womens curling semi :(

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I do not doubt her work ethics...
And she is smart...
But she is the product of being well-off.
For one...
She goes to a 50 thousand per year school.
In her case...
Hard work is just half the battle.

Honestly...
I do not know how to feel about her.
She says all the right things...
And I am impressed by her ability to get through pressure we cannot imagine...
But she just feels manufactured to me.
I will wish her the best...
Regardless.
She is a name we will hear about for years to come...
I imagine.
I don't regard her highly at all. Actually, it's in the negative. I'm also "Chinese"-American.

I hold in contempt everyone making this a race or nation-betraying issue. No, any race-baiting from either side misses the point.

The Commies didn't just commit ethnic genocide against Uighurs. Those just the ones the Anglosphere notices because they see "Chinese" as a monolith and not an actual mixing bowl amongst those who seem "Chinese". As you enter different locales, the Chinese you meet will speak literally different mother tongues endemic to the city/locality. The city of Shanghai will have its own language. The southern area will have Cantonese(Jackie Chan can speak both Cantonese and Mandarin)

It is very possible to have a tri- or quarilingual Chinese. One is the mother's language, the father's language, English, and "Mandarin"/common speech.

These local languages have been purged and destroyed, some irreparably. What if Quebec is forced to Anglify or if First Nations banned from speaking their language?

She has affinity for "China", actually the CCP state because her parent and grandparents were insiders who got the benefits for being loyal insiders. But many Chinese are outsiders to the cushy state and had to suffer its overbearing and dominating presence.

So, her being a representative of China isn't "inaccurate". Just that she's a representation of how being a compliant insider is necessary to get by and thrive in that country. The world is better off knowing that she is a commie simp.

Deviating from the state's will is an offense punishable by detention and torture. Being watched 24/7, even in bathroom breaks? Been happening since the early days. My mom was personally detained along with the rest of the family way back in the early days of the regime.

Tight control of the populace? That too happened in the days of analogue. Officials would go to where you live and tell you to not say anything bad if the press asked questions when Nixon was visiting.

My mom and grandma used smuggle in Western music. The likes of Anne Murray, Don Mclean were listened to by her, but if one got caught with such materials then, then there would hace been punishment.

This is not to say the U.S(I grew up in MD) is always better or not corrupt, but the Chinese CCP is a level above in invasiveness and being able to punish on false grounds against transgressors.

Yundi Li, a renowned pianist got jailed in October 2021 and there has been no hard news regading his release.

Reactions: BMC and Albatros

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Ivanie Blondin got silver in speedskating mass start.
25 total medals for Canada.

Both men and women bobsleigh has a chance...
So 26 or 27 is likely the maximum.
That is not bad.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ivanie Blondin got silver in speedskating mass start.
25 total medals for Canada.

Both men and women bobsleigh has a chance...
So 26 or 27 is likely the maximum.
That is not bad.
Pretty good considering:

1) Some of our traditional medal-heavy sports are in a rebuild phase (short track, moguls, snowboard/ski cross, figure skating)
2) A decent amount of disappointments that finished off the podium

25 is not bad at all.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Pretty good considering:

1) Some of our traditional medal-heavy sports are in a rebuild phase (short track, moguls, snowboard/ski cross, figure skating)
2) A decent amount of disappointments that finished off the podium

25 is not bad at all.

Yep.
Happy with the total.
That should be top 5 for total medals.
It is a rebuilding year too.

The speed skating team is on the older side though.
It needs more influx of talents.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yep.
Happy with the total.
That should be top 5 for total medals.
It is a rebuilding year too.

The speed skating team is on the older side though.
It needs more influx of talents.
I would suspect you'll see more short track medals and less speed skating medals at the next Olympics for us.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t even know if I’ve even seen short track aired this year. Was there like no Americans in it or any good this time?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I would suspect you'll see more short track medals and less speed skating medals at the next Olympics for us.

Yeah...
That program is very well run in Quebec...
So there is always someone in the pipeline.
One of the skater on the female side...
Florence Brunelle...
Is just 18.
She had 2 disqualifications in her debut...
But at least it is something to build off of.
Dubois won 3 medals...
And he is just 24 too.
The team is definitely in very good shape.

I only wish Team Canada will actually scour the whole country for talent...
Across all sports.
A lot of these programs are really regional.
The whole Winter Olympics team will be much stronger if there is a national strategy.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I don’t even know if I’ve even seen short track aired this year. Was there like no Americans in it or any good this time?

That is pretty much it.
The program had been in decline since Ohno...
To be honest...
And he last competed over a decade ago.

More investment is in long track...
But there are also not a lot of talent in the pipeline.
Erin Jackson won gold in 500 m...
But because the race is so short...
Chances to repeat are slim.
She is also 29...
And it is hard to see her maintain top form for 4 years.
The other medalist...
Brittany Bowe...
Is near the end of her career.
The rest of the team is also pretty old.
Personally...
Speed skating in the US needs an overhaul.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That is pretty much it.
The program had been in decline since Ohno...
To be honest...
And he last competed over a decade ago.

More investment is in long track...
But there are also not a lot of talent in the pipeline.
Erin Jackson won gold in 500 m...
But because the race is so short...
Chances to repeat are slim.
She is also 29...
And it is hard to see her maintain top form for 4 years.
The other medalist...
Brittany Bowe...
Is near the end of her career.
The rest of the team is also pretty old.
Personally...
Speed skating in the US needs an overhaul.
I figured that’s what it was, I’ve barely seen the long track too but it’s at least been on air in the US. But the US is not even heard from in things like ski jumping and cross country and biathlon and that’s been on a lot. Obviously there’s been a lot of extreme sports too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino