Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Not a single medal for Mikaela Shiffrin if im correct?

I was watching the Mixed Team Parallel (Slalom) yesterday. The rules seem ridiculous! If they made more sense, she would have a bronze.

Each team has 2 men and 2 women. Shiffrin fell down about 3 gates from the end. The woman from Norway that she was racing also fell down about 1/2 second later. Both were disqualified for missing a gate. The announcers said that according to the rules, Norway "won" that heat because their skier made it farther down the hill, even though she completed no more gates than Shiffrin did. That was the first thing that I didn't like. How do you win if both skiers were DQed and both skiers completed the same number of gates?

In the fourth heat, the US man won by finishing first, making it 2-2. The skier for Norway fell down in the middle, missing a gate and he never finished because you get DQed. So three people from the US completed the 21 gates to two from Norway. Norway got the bronze because their single times for their man and woman were faster than the best times of the three posted by the US.

I think of it this way. In boxing, if you knock down your opponent more times than he knocks you down, you usually win the boxing match. But yesterday I saw the US team complete the course three times to Norway's two, yet Norway gets the bronze medal. It is a skiing contest and Norway fell down twice! Yet they won one heat and lost one of those two heats.

It made me wonder what would have happened if Norway had only one skier of their four complete the course? I am imagining that it would be "He had the fastest time, so Norway wins the bronze medal, even though 3 of their 4 skiers slid down the hill on their butts!".

BTW, the Blue course was noticeably faster than the Red course. I would say about 0.5 - 0.7 seconds faster. Each team skies twice on each course to make it fair. I guarantee that if you fell on the Blue course, your team would lose the entire contest because you can't make up the time on the Red coarse. That is total garbage as a basis for awarding Olympic medals. The rules need to be reviewed and revised to make this fair! What I saw yesterday was not fair or even sensible.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big Olympics withdrawal energy. Sad there was nothing on live at 4am this morning. But also glad that won’t be the case for any Olympics for a long time.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I understand the Gu dislike as it's more of a slap in the face than anything. She's pretty much 101% American being born, trained, and conducting her entire life as an American...then decides to represent China. However, reading the previous two pages' and seeing that her grandma was a high communist official, that makes perfect sense.

Lindsey Jacobellis finally exorcising her demons from the Turin games then helping Nick Baumgartner another long term suffering US athlete get his first medal nevermind it being gold.

The US winning gold in the freestyle aerial team event after not even being expected to medal being complete underdogs.

The insanity of the men's giant slalom taking place in a blizzard wiping out half the field on the first run and allowing some smaller nations who might not have gotten a second run to qualify and get a chance in the spotlight.

Jessie Diggins shocking the world and actually earning two medals in cross country skiing, a sport we are traditionally terrible at.

Irish luger Elsa Desmond finishing last in women's luge and enjoying every minute of it. The important fact was she did indeed finish which can't be said for some of her fellow competitors who where medal favorites in a very brutal course for them.

The Japanese Women's Hockey team winning their pool stage for the first time and showing how far they've come in such a short amount of time.

The Japanese Women's curling team earning silver. They didn't get gold, but watching them make their run with all their enthusiasm and infectious spirit made them a joy to watch.

Monobob existing. Nuff said.

Watching Harri Sateri, a guy who I witnessed start his pro career in the AHL win the gold medal in hockey with Finland.

The crazy men's 1500 meter short track race that thanks to advancments saw ten skaters make the run for the gold. And none of them wiped out or were dq'ed which is a rarity in short track especially with that unprecedented amout of skaters taking part in the final.

Finally last but not least Erin Jackson winning gold in the 500 meter long form speedskating discipline. She wasn't even supposed to compete after she fell at the US qualifiers despite being the world champion at that distance, but her teammate gave up her position in the race to let her run in a true show of sportsmanship.
- Men's half-pipe was full lit. Japanese bloke did one of the best runs in the history of the sport, got dirty by the judges, then on his final run he did even a superior run and deservedly got gold. White clearly didn't have the younger body to compete with the next generation.

- Female's figure skating, that was better than Jersey Shore episode. Anna deserved to win, I am with the judges that just doing five quads shouldn't win you a gold. Her skate besides the five was pretty damn soulless IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln