Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics: Cross Country thread

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
*sigh* Still no medal for Kerttu Niskanen. Dopehaug in her own class.

Seems the snow is causing a lot of issues. The snow cannon snow is flat our dirty. It gathers dust, especially on the free style courses.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
*sigh* Still no medal for Kerttu Niskanen. Dopehaug in her own class.

Seems the snow is causing a lot of issues. The snow cannon snow is flat our dirty. It gathers dust, especially on the free style courses.
It's harder to get it back into raceshape as well. It looks like sawdust in some points.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Strange performance by the Norwegian team. I don’t think Klæbo is strong enough on anything other than sprints and relay under these conditions, but you would expect better from Røthe (not sure what happened- he has had some days like that before as well) and Holund. Even if the top 3 are obviously fantastic skiers - especially Bolsjunov. He is clearly the best so no surprise. Niskanen might beat him later, but I could see him winning three golds. I think his strange season might mean he will have more energy this time on the 50km. Then he can’t be beaten with OK skis. Maybe if Kruger can get there and he is in good shape.

Klæbo will normally win the sprint, but I could very well see this being one of the worst Olympics for Norwegian men in quite some time. Will be very surprised if Norway can follow Russia on the relay as well. For the women it will be Johaug and no-one else. That is shocking considering how popular cross country is here. Women relay Norway might not even end up top 3.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He has been the best for years. He was always getting back, but it was difficult to know exactly when. Not really sure when we had a skier that dominant (mens)? Dæhli? Northug and others have won a lot, but no-one I can remember would dominate races the way Bolsjunov does year after year and race after race.

The Russians probably had great skis as well. Spitsov is good, but without good skis I don’t think he crushes someone like Holund like that.

Should be said at high altitude things tend to be a bit wacky. So things can change quickly.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He has been the best for years. He was always getting back, but it was difficult to know exactly when. Not really sure when we had a skier that dominant (mens)? Dæhli? Northug and others have won a lot, but no-one I can remember would dominate races the way Bolsjunov does year after year and race after race.

The Russians probably had great skis as well. Spitsov is good, but without good skis I don’t think he crushes someone like Holund like that.

Should be said at high altitude things tend to be a bit wacky. So things can change quickly.
Ahh, I enjoyed the races with Daehlie, Smirnow and Ulvang. Great memories.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

That Swede who invented the skate style, don't remember his name.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
That Swede who invented the skate style, don't remember his name.
I'm not sure anyone invented it as much as it evolved. It all started with the one sided skatestep that was still very common in the 80s. I remember that German telly was highly critical of Bill Koch who did that excessively and with great success. Regulations prohibited the skate long after it was clear that it is faster. Then they simply decided to make two disciplines out of it. That's when it exploded. I know I'm a dinosaur, but I still prefer the classic, the longer the better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Might be referring to Boklöv? But that was ski jumping.

Gunde Svan was probably the closest you get to Dæhlie in terms of overall dominace. He is Swedish of course. You also got Cologna and Sundby, but Cologna never dominated like Bolsjunov and Sundby was only dominant for 1-2 seasons. Obviously I'm assuming Bolsjunov will be at this level for years and years still. In terms of raw talent I'm not sure if I have ever seen anyone better. Alsgaard was unbeatable when in form, but he struggled so much with his health. In terms of elegance and technique, he was miles ahead of his competitors though. Probably close to 20 years ahead of his time. He could have been even more dominant than Bolsjunov is he hasn't had all his health issues I guess.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Gunde Svan was probably the closest you get to Dæhlie in terms of overall dominace. He is Swedish of course. You also got Cologna and Sundby, but Cologna never dominated like Bolsjunov and Sundby was only dominant for 1-2 seasons. Obviously I'm assuming Bolsjunov will be at this level for years and years still. In terms of raw talent I'm not sure if I have ever seen anyone better. Alsgaard was unbeatable when in form, but he struggled so much with his health. In terms of elegance and technique, he was miles ahead of his competitors though. Probably close to 20 years ahead of his time. He could have been even more dominant than Bolsjunov is he hasn't had all his health issues I guess.
Not only that, Alsgaard was an innovator with his Alsgaard step skating. (Donno what it's called, I translated directly from German where we call it Alsgaardschritt).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not only that, Alsgaard was an innovator with his Alsgaard step skating. (Donno what it's called, I translated directly from German where we call it Alsgaardschritt).

Ah. I had no idea. The word makes sense I guess. Schritt being “skritt” in Norwegian.

He was an absolute genius. Very interesting character as well. Apparently a bit of an introverted “loner” growing up. Which meant he went his own way in many things when it came to training and how to develop his technique. I remember seeing him racing down a giant slalom course on cross country skis. His balance was just out of this world.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Yeah, Gunde Svan. I'm not a ski expert, but as far as I remember he was the first who started to use the skate style in international competitions.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah, Gunde Svan. I'm not a ski expert, but as far as I remember he was the first who started to use the skate style in international competitions.
It was definitely done before Svan. You just couldn't do it the whole race through as the classical skis are very different. They don't glide as well, else you would slide hills down again when trying to climb them.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
It was definitely done before Svan. You just couldn't do it the whole race through as the classical skis are very different. They don't glide as well, else you would slide hills down again when trying to climb them.
wasn't it Bill Koch in the early 80ies?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Skating is much older. At least one Norwegian was skating back in the 30s, but as in terms of the modern use in competitions I think Koch might be the most important athlete.

I can't remember if Svan was especially good at that "one ski" skating we saw in the old days.

Kind of strange to watch. You see some of the best skiers in history in that video - like Dæhlie. He looks like a complete amateur compared to Alsgaard (technically). In many ways Alsgaard "invented" the modern way of skating. In many ways he is still technically better than many of the best athletes today.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Bolsjunov not racing today.

After the 30km I'm not sure Klæbo will win it, but boy it would be disappointing if he didn't. Pellegrino is probably the biggest threat.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Bolsjunov not racing today.

After the 30km I'm not sure Klæbo will win it, but boy it would be disappointing if he didn't. Pellegrino is probably the biggest threat.
I'm only mildly surprised. You have to pace yourself. With Ustiugov you have a worthy substitute.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
3 Swedish ladies in the sprint final. Dare to hope for a medal double.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not exactly unexpected, but this will be Klæbo and Pellegrino fighting for the gold. Not sure if Klæbo has the best skis.

Can't see any of the others having a chance - especially not after racing that hard for the semis and with less rest in between.

For the women it will be gold for Sweden and quite possibly another medal as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00