Olympics: 2022 Beijing Olympics: Cross Country thread

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It is actually even worse. Not only do we have the absolute best recruitment among kids - we also spend a ridiculous amount of money on equipment, research etc. into waxing, machining etc. of skis. One of the reasons why I'm not THAT into cross country skiing outside of the big games - the smaller nations just haven't got the resources to compete. I wish they would have changed the rules (they have tried a bit) so that those nations with money won't have such an advantage.
These conditions in China are like made for finnish skiers, really rough terrain and course to ski. Finns are probably the strongest physically and workhorses.

That's why 4 cross-country skiing medals already.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
These conditions in China are like made for finnish skiers, really rough terrain and course to ski. Finns are probably the strongest physically and workhorses.

That's why 4 cross-country skiing medals already.

That isn’t so different for the Norwegians. Especially those who have grown up around Oslo. Ridiculously hilly - so they are all used to steep climbs and tough courses.

And in terms of medals Norway aren’t doing that poorly. Just that the depth is not very good.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
It is actually even worse. Not only do we have the absolute best recruitment among kids - we also spend a ridiculous amount of money on equipment, research etc. into waxing, machining etc. of skis. One of the reasons why I'm not THAT into cross country skiing outside of the big games - the smaller nations just haven't got the resources to compete. I wish they would have changed the rules (they have tried a bit) so that those nations with money won't have such an advantage.

It is true that cross-country is super popular in Norway and Norwegian audience love it. No country can match the resources that is put to it. I spoke with a Norwegian student who visited Finland a few years ago and he complained how marginal sport it is, but there's no shame in it. Hockey is marginal as well. Canada is the powerhouse of hockey and Norway the powerhouse of cross-country skiing. Finns and Swedes may be a bit jealous of that.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
It is true that cross-country is super popular in Norway and Norwegian audience love it. No country can match the resources that is put to it. I spoke with a Norwegian student who visited Finland a few years ago and he complained how marginal sport it is, but there's no shame in it. Hockey is marginal as well. Canada is the powerhouse of hockey and Norway the powerhouse of cross-country skiing. Finns and Swedes may be a bit jealous of that.

I don't really mind Norway's dominance - obviously you're going to win more medals if you're good at individual sports as opposed to team sports. Therese Johaug has made women's skiing hard to watch for me though, because I'm not sure if she's clean or not. Every time she wins it's frustrating since you just don't know.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I don't really mind Norway's dominance - obviously you're going to win more medals if you're good at individual sports as opposed to team sports. Therese Johaug has made women's skiing hard to watch for me though, because I'm not sure if she's clean or not. Every time she wins it's frustrating since you just don't know.

Yeah Im personally not that interested in skiing, this is a hockey forum after all. I'm from southern part of Finland and when I was a school kid, I didn't know anyone with any connection to high-level skiing. Just a nice and useful winter hobby. But nonetheless all honor to Norwegians, they are pretty damn good at it.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Sundling is a beast holy shit. Germany taking a medal here is the biggest surprise so far, Finland did a huge tactical mistake.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Yeah. And I’m not taking it for granted. Norway took zero gold medals in 1988. That was for the full Olympics - not only cross country. So there has been done a lot in Norway to get people more interested again, but also how to develop athletes.

Since then it has been quite solid with a weak period around Turin.

Reactions: IceHockeyDude

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

I think it is quite clear what happened in Johaug’s case. Obviously anyone that dominates that much you can always question still. And I couldn’t know that she is clean. Same with someone like Bolsjunov. I believe they are both clean, but sadly you always got this doubt.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I admit I slept through the relay. I see Norway got tackled as well :laugh: I guess it wouldn’t have mattered.

Good for cross country that Germany does well. Some years ago when Germany did well it felt like cross country was much more popular in general in Central Europe.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I always get doping-vibes when it comes to Russian athletes unfortunately. Not denying the doping-scandal with Finnish athletes on early 00's. Who knows what dope each one is taking today no matter which country they are representing.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Frida is so cute, so sad to see her struggle :(

Frustrating but I think it might be good for her, can hopefully build some character and humble her a little. She is likely to be dominant for the next decade or so.

Before the Olympics she had 5 out of 6 possible individual medals at major championships (WC), and 2 of those and her only miss came when she was still a junior

Last edited:
Reactions: karhukissa

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I admit I slept through the relay. I see Norway got tackled as well :laugh: I guess it wouldn’t have mattered.

Good for cross country that Germany does well. Some years ago when Germany did well it felt like cross country was much more popular in general in Central Europe.
I don't know what happpened. Cross country looked so good in Germany in the 2000s. And when that generation retired nothing came after. It was a good time to be a fan of cross country.

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I don't know what happpened. Cross country looked so good in Germany in the 2000s. And when that generation retired nothing came after. It was a good time tonbe a fan of cross country.

I hope nations like Germany and France can become strong again, would be very good for the sport. Also FIS need to get their act together, Cross Country is miles behind Biathlon for now sadly

Reactions: Eisen

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There are good reasons for biathlon to be more popular, but I agree that FIS have been much worse at promoting and developing the sport than what they have done with Biathlon. You would also think there should be some overlap. Kids who are training for Biathlon, but find out they are better at the skiing than shooting would transfer over.

When you got Germany involved like in Biathlon (also France) it just becomes another sport. Same with ski jumping where Germany is strong - as well as big countries like Poland. Poland is also sadly missing from cross country (and biathlon).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't know what happpened. Cross country looked so good in Germany in the 2000s. And when that generation retired nothing came after. It was a good time to be a fan of cross country.

Yeah. What is confusing is that it seemingly didn't inspire more kids to start training for cross country.

Cycling is a good example in Norway. We never had anything else than the random OK cyclist. Then Hushovd came along and one of the two major TV channels started to broadcast Tour de France. Today Norway has excellent depth (incredible depth considering the conditions we got, the small population and the tough competition from winter sports for anyone remotely talented in endurance sports) in cycling and we have also had some proper "superstars".

I would have expected Germany to get a somewhat similar effect, but instead there was nothing sadly.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Russia are by far the best among the men. Among the women with Sweden struggling it was more open.

Silver was the best Norway could realistically hope for. And cool with another medal for France.

Reactions: BMann

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. That was cool to see. Klæbo waited as well.

Dæhlie did the same with one of the Nike Kenyans some years ago. They formed such a close relationship he named his son Dæhlie :laugh:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Russia are by far the best among the men. Among the women with Sweden struggling it was more open.

Silver was the best Norway could realistically hope for. And cool with another medal for France.

Felt for Manificat a bit. Another bronze. Niskanen had an amazing leg but Chevotkin did the damage early on. RUS, NOR and FRA sharing the medals. Again. It's a shame this sport does not get the coverage it should as it is so tough. Nice to see some genuine snow at the games as well.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Yeah. What is confusing is that it seemingly didn't inspire more kids to start training for cross country.

Cycling is a good example in Norway. We never had anything else than the random OK cyclist. Then Hushovd came along and one of the two major TV channels started to broadcast Tour de France. Today Norway has excellent depth (incredible depth considering the conditions we got, the small population and the tough competition from winter sports for anyone remotely talented in endurance sports) in cycling and we have also had some proper "superstars".

I would have expected Germany to get a somewhat similar effect, but instead there was nothing sadly.

Generally studies have shown a world class sportsperson in a particular event does not lead to a new generation of world class stars from that nation. It seems counter-intuitive but there it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00