Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Boyle is an all-time great Shark but there’s no way his peak is as good as Karlsson or Burns. Let’s not forget that Boyle played almost exclusively with prime Joe Thornton in second tier minutes from 2008-2011. Thornton was the most dominant possession player in the whole league during that period, anyone who played with him would end up looking great statistically.

However, I think the second half of 2016 + playoffs Vlasic is the single greatest stretch by any Sharks defenseman. Absolutely nothing went in the Sharks’ net when Vlasic was on the ice and he played the toughest minutes in the league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would not be surprised to see the Sharks experiment with 5 forwards on the PP.
They ought to based on personnel going into the season unless Gawanke makes the club.
The entire point of a rebuild is to end up with players like Pettersson. I would gladly buy his 25-33 year old seasons for $100M. Good luck to actual contenders, almost all of whom are already near next year’s cap ceiling, on matching that.

Unfortunately this just screams Detroit.
Sure but it's still a matter of timing it properly. Going out and getting Pettersson doesn't mean anything if we don't have the talent to support him enough to compete. We're still a long ways off on that and still tearing down the old team to a meaningful degree. The Sharks shouldn't be looking to add anyone of Pettersson's nature where we would have to spend significant future assets to acquire and then allocate significant cap space now and down the road until we've at least seen some meaningful progress on the rebuild.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If it comes down to money, 9 out of 10 times, we're going to be behind the 8 ball on it due to our current tax structure. We're one of the few locations that would be worse on that front than Vancouver is.
Doesnt a heavy bonus structured contract mitigate that to some extent. I read somewhere that bonuses are taxed at the players permanent address instead of the teams home.

Either way, the team is going to be flush with cash and can overpay somewhat for quality players. I do agree that they really shouldnt be sending assets out, at least not ones that would be required to land him prior to FA.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doesnt a heavy bonus structured contract mitigate that to some extent. I read somewhere that bonuses are taxed at the players permanent address instead of the teams home.

Either way, the team is going to be flush with cash and can overpay somewhat for quality players. I do agree that they really shouldnt be sending assets out, at least not ones that would be required to land him prior to FA.
Something any other team can do as well. I think the team needs to wait a bit before committing to such contracts.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They ought to based on personnel going into the season unless Gawanke makes the club.

Sure but it's still a matter of timing it properly. Going out and getting Pettersson doesn't mean anything if we don't have the talent to support him enough to compete. We're still a long ways off on that and still tearing down the old team to a meaningful degree. The Sharks shouldn't be looking to add anyone of Pettersson's nature where we would have to spend significant future assets to acquire and then allocate significant cap space now and down the road until we've at least seen some meaningful progress on the rebuild.
Maybe in an ideal world but when players like Pettersson become available you have to try and make it happen provided you have the cap space (check), assets (check) and he’s willing to sign here (who knows?). We’re talking about a top 10, arguably top 5, center in the league who still has at least 5 prime years remaining.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe in an ideal world but when players like Pettersson become available you have to try and make it happen provided you have the cap space (check), assets (check) and he’s willing to sign here (who knows?). We’re talking about a top 10, arguably top 5, center in the league who still has at least 5 prime years remaining.
This depends on what you view as the assets that are expendable and legitimately doable for this sort of deal. I think the cost will be prohibitive for a team that is just starting the rebuild process.

Reactions: ThePlanet

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
True that Boyle is not on par with Burns or Karlsson. He deserves better than to say he rode on Thornton’s tail. He was an undrafted, undersized guy who won a Cup. He came here and left his heart on the ice for the logo on the front. He spoke up when others wouldn’t and his expectations were fair. He played in all situations and wasn’t given much but did more with less.

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Anyone know what's up with Arizona? They do not have a single defensemen signed after the 23-24 season.

Maybe Pettersson can play defense.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Boyle is an all-time great Shark but there’s no way his peak is as good as Karlsson or Burns. Let’s not forget that Boyle played almost exclusively with prime Joe Thornton in second tier minutes from 2008-2011. Thornton was the most dominant possession player in the whole league during that period, anyone who played with him would end up looking great statistically.

However, I think the second half of 2016 + playoffs Vlasic is the single greatest stretch by any Sharks defenseman. Absolutely nothing went in the Sharks’ net when Vlasic was on the ice and he played the toughest minutes in the league.

Yeah but Boyle could actually play defense. Karlsson not so much.

Vlasic doesn't have an NHL shot. Maybe a AHL one which holds him back and why he was underrated. Fans like defensemen with offensive prowlness over the ability to play defense when the other team has the puck.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Vlasic being the main defencemen/veteran in SJ, how realistic would it be that he hits 35-40 points this year? Is he really done as impact player for good, or is there some fuel left it the tank now that Burns and Karlsson are out?
I think he could find another gear, because of the pride and sake of his own value and be more involved. He is not going to make this team good, but I feel like he's going to see an opportunity to strike while there is no real competition at D-core.

Vlasic has been cooked for several years now. I'm surprised we haven't found a way to force him onto LTIR.

Also "Pride"? HA. The dude started coasting before the ink from his latest contract extension was dry. He's been a liability ever since then.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Did Team Canada overrate him? He was legitimately one of the top defensive defensemen in the league for many seasons.
Yes, maybe they did, or maybe he fits their team given the talent that they had.

My point is that Vlasic, as good as he was, was never a guy who could carry his pairing.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yes, maybe they did, or maybe he fits their team given the talent that they had.

My point is that Vlasic, as good as he was, was never a guy who could carry his pairing.
There's a bit of revisionism regarding who did the lifting on the Vlasic-Braun pairing. Vlasic was always the better and smarter of the pair, but Braun was the guy who could take the hits and was otherwise just the right fit.

Just because Vlasic is terrible now doesn't negate the fact that at one point, you could make the argument that he was one of the most underrated shutdown D of the cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad