Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Actually, Ray wanted to be dealt to the Flyers. Sinden wasn't about to do that, but, to his credit, he did send Ray to CO, providing a legitimate shot at winning it all. Which Ray did, of course, the next season.

If Lucic "wanted out" of Boston, he did so because of family concerns at the time. My Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon understanding is that he loved Boston, being a Bruin, and would have chosen to retire here.

A few years back, we had confirmation from someone close to the family who posted here that Lucic did in fact want to be closer to home after the tragedy. I too, think he would have wanted to retire here if things had gone differently in his personal life.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
the point is the same thing.... you're not reacquiring Lucic here because it's the same ownership group who dealt him.... nor does it make REALISTIC sense to bring him back now, some of you do not get that the era of physicality that was marketed and started by Philadelphia doesn't fly in this market today..... if it did..... why DID Neely retire early..... the NHL is no longer physical, it's the finesse style game.... when was the last time we had a 4 hour game delayed with multiple fights every second on ice
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried to be. Oh and Neely retired early because he had to due to injury.

Despite a very vocal minority that finds ice capades entertaining bring back Lucic or add a fighter like Marcus Foligno, Tanner Jeannot or Jake Middleton and tell me how much the Bruin fanbase wants another generic, faceless 25 point fourth liner on the team. Utter nonsense

Oh and Boston started and marketed physicality with the Orr lead Bruins. Ted Green, Wayne Cashman, Orr, Sanderson, McKenzie, Awery and other perfected gang fighting as a form of intimidation before Shero took the Russian system and added toughness to it. The pre Orr Bruins, like the Flyers before Shero, got intimidated, Milt Schmidt changed that in Boston and it helped to win two Stanley Cups.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sounds like Rangers prospect Nils Lundkvist has requested a trade. #28OA in 2018 whose a offensive minded RHD and is reported to have top 4 upside. Bruins could use some more RHD prospects as there isn't much in the system right now.
He would be a real nice add but I don't feel the Bruins would be in the running or at least have what the Rags want back.

The Rangers are engaged in an accelerated effort to trade Nils Lundkvist after being notified the 22-year-old Swedish defenseman is unlikely to report to camp in the absence of a deal, The Post has been told by multiple sources.

Lundkvist had been named the winner of the 2020-21 Borje Salming Trophy as the Swedish defenseman of the year while playing for Lulea of the SHL and had been universally and consistently ranked as one of the best NHL club-affiliated prospects before making the jump.

The Blueshirts, though, could certainly use a young, top-nine-type center who might grow with the organization. That is believed to be Drury’s target as they deal with this latest situation involving a young European unhappy with his plight.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinsguy613

Jul 13, 2022
He would be a real nice add but I don't feel the Bruins would be in the running or at least have what the Rags want back.

The Rangers are engaged in an accelerated effort to trade Nils Lundkvist after being notified the 22-year-old Swedish defenseman is unlikely to report to camp in the absence of a deal, The Post has been told by multiple sources.

Lundkvist had been named the winner of the 2020-21 Borje Salming Trophy as the Swedish defenseman of the year while playing for Lulea of the SHL and had been universally and consistently ranked as one of the best NHL club-affiliated prospects before making the jump.

The Blueshirts, though, could certainly use a young, top-nine-type center who might grow with the organization. That is believed to be Drury’s target as they deal with this latest situation involving a young European unhappy with his plight.
Does a guy like Studnicka fit the bill here? also the right side with Charlie and Carlo is pretty set for a few years is it worth brining in a guy who can and likely would push for Carlo's spot... if moving Carlo is acceptable then maybe make the deal.

for the sake of conversation not about Lucic.

if Foligno is dog water again and the team is set to send him to providence or trade him, do you think he waives all 16 teams and accepts to go anywhere he might be able to play or does he take it like a champ and ride the bus in prov?

again this is assuming Monty and the Brass decide they'd even send him to the minors and not so much for cap relief but to be able to play guys like steen, studnicka and anyone else more frequently.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That would be a great deal.

Sure short term. His deal would expire when he's 27yrs old, which would make him a UFA

They may or may not. Maybe there's a piece in the Bruins system that Drury likes that isn't a young top 9 center.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried to be. Oh and Neely retired early because he had to due to injury.

Despite a very vocal minority that finds ice capades entertaining bring back Lucic or add a fighter like Marcus Foligno, Tanner Jeannot or Jake Middleton and tell me how much the Bruin fanbase wants another generic, faceless 25 point fourth liner on the team. Utter nonsense

Oh and Boston started and marketed physicality with the Orr lead Bruins. Ted Green, Wayne Cashman, Orr, Sanderson, McKenzie, Awery and other perfected gang fighting as a form of intimidation before Shero took the Russian system and added toughness to it. The pre Orr Bruins, like the Flyers before Shero, got intimidated, Milt Schmidt changed that in Boston and it helped to win two Stanley Cups.
Thank you, sir.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I believe fighting has been up over the last few years. At one point it had gotten fairly rare to see one, but not so much now.

It ticked up last season to .24 fights a game. It had been hovering around .19 per game in the late 2010's.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It ticked up last season to .24 fights a game. It had been hovering around .19 per game in the late 2010's.
It's just tough to tell watching Cassidy's Bruins. Watch a Nashville-Minnesota game or Florida and Tampa, it's a different game.

Hopefully with Cassidy gone the Bruins will implement a more physical style, adding AJ Greer and letting Frederic play (even if he takes a bad penalty) is a good start.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
It's just tough to tell watching Cassidy's Bruins. Watch a Nashville-Minnesota game or Florida and Tampa, it's a different game.

Hopefully with Cassidy gone the Bruins will implement a more physical style, adding AJ Greer and letting Frederic play (even if he takes a bad penalty) is a good start.

I enjoy watching those teams, throw Calgary in as well. This team isn't built that way, that's the GM. Montgomery wasn't exactly a tough player, but it he want's to play that style, I'm all for it.

Reactions: sarge88

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I enjoy watching those teams, throw Calgary in as well. This team isn't built that way, that's the GM. Montgomery wasn't exactly a tough player, but it he want's to play that style, I'm all for it.

Per hockeyfights.com the Bruins had more fights than both CGY & FLA last season. The Bruins also threw the 3rd most hits in the NHL last season.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He only had a couple fights in the NHL, but I am going to have to disagree about Monty not being a tough player. He was extremely tough in the AHL, especially when he was with Hershey and Philly. He ramped things up big time come playoff time. He was an excellent scorer and tough AHL player. I got to watch him in person 25 or so times when he was in the AHL and I thought he was tough as nails. Granted, when he played in the AHL things were pretty nuts when it came to the Bears and the Phantoms. Mid-late 1990s were fun times in the AHL.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sure short term. His deal would expire when he's 27yrs old, which would make him a UFA

They may or may not. Maybe there's a piece in the Bruins system that Drury likes that isn't a young top 9 center.
Im sure there is but more than likely if he wants a future Center prospect, there's a few other teams out there who may fit that criteria a little bit better than the bruins.

Per hockeyfights.com the Bruins had more fights than both CGY & FLA last season. The Bruins also threw the 3rd most hits in the NHL last season.
I betcha Lucic heard more "No Thanks" last year than the bruins had Fights.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Does a guy like Studnicka fit the bill here? also the right side with Charlie and Carlo is pretty set for a few years is it worth brining in a guy who can and likely would push for Carlo's spot... if moving Carlo is acceptable then maybe make the deal.

for the sake of conversation not about Lucic.

if Foligno is dog water again and the team is set to send him to providence or trade him, do you think he waives all 16 teams and accepts to go anywhere he might be able to play or does he take it like a champ and ride the bus in prov?

again this is assuming Monty and the Brass decide they'd even send him to the minors and not so much for cap relief but to be able to play guys like steen, studnicka and anyone else more frequently.
I would do Studs in a heartbeat maybe the Rags would too, who knows maybe something could be worked out around the two. Im sure a lot of it would hinge on what lundkvist salary demands are but with the Bruins not really deep on the right side and McAvoy being out to mid-to late November, hopefully Sweeney has considered the option.

Great question on Foligno, my guess is he starts in Boston no matter how he looks in camp good or bad.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I agree it's Sweeney but he had the perfect coach for his system, turn the other cheek Butch. I hope to see a more physical team this year, I would love to a tough D added.
There is a Carlo push a guy off the puck hit and then there is a Radko Gudas/Tom Wilson hit as hard as you can hit. Forbort and Carlo were both over 100 hits but I can't remember a good hit from either of them. A hit is a stat that is very subjective to the off ice official, it isn't as clear cut as ice time or shots on goal.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Im sure there is but more than likely if he wants a future Center prospect, there's a few other teams out there who may fit that criteria a little bit better than the bruins.

I betcha Lucic heard more "No Thanks" last year than the bruins had Fights.

There may be a few other team, who knows. Would hope the Bruins kick the tires on him though as our RD depth is lacking. As for Lucic, maybe he did, I didn't watch every CGY game and they don't track "no thanks" as an NHL stat

I agree it's Sweeney but he had the perfect coach for his system, turn the other cheek Butch. I hope to see a more physical team this year, I would love to a tough D added.

There is a Carlo push a guy off the puck hit and then there is a Radko Gudas/Tom Wilson hit as hard as you can hit. Forbort and Carlo were both over 100 hits but I can't remember a good hit from either of them. A hit is a stat that is very subjective to the off ice official, it isn't as clear cut as ice time or shots on goal.

So then since there is no real way to quantify "tough" the enitre topic is subjective.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Carlo had two of the biggest Bruins hits last season. I think they came a week apart, earlyish in the season.

Doesn't make him tough or a consistent big hitter and it doesn't make up for him having a lousy season in general, but he does use his size occasionally, and some people on HFBruins seem never to notice.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I do not believe in intimidating hockey, but I do believe in having an enforcer and a pack mentality. The Bruins, for whatever reason, have not had many guys who finish checks since Claude's last couple of years. It goes back before Cassidy.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
A few years back, we had confirmation from someone close to the family who posted here that Lucic did in fact want to be closer to home after the tragedy. I too, think he would have wanted to retire here if things had gone differently in his personal life.

Yeah, it’s an awful disservice to him to say he wanted “out”. He needed to be close to his family and the timing was convenient for both sides.

No one was prouder than him to be a Bruin and I do hope he retires one, even if just a 1 day contract.

Reactions: Ladyfan and PB37

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I do not believe in intimidating hockey, but I do believe in having an enforcer and a pack mentality. The Bruins, for whatever reason, have not had many guys who finish checks since Claude's last couple of years. It goes back before Cassidy.
THE enforcer mentality is gone.... you have to have a skill set now.....started after Shawn Thornton left.....

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It is not gone they are just becoming even more rare. You hamstring your own argument by mentioning Thorton. K Macdermid and Reaves are also in the league.
essentially it's gone, name the last true enforcer who's primary job is staged fights..... remember that's why Shawn Thornton's career here ended, the NHL Mandated the end of staged fights.....

Reaves is now a 40 goal scorer consistently...... year in and year out..... if that was the case why is Reaves changing teams year in and year out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad