dom.hockey
Light at the end of the tunnel edition.

Continue.

Cap Questions and answers (I hope)

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Cap Questions and answers (I hope)
So if they move money at the deadline (say Zacha, for example), the bonuses could, up to the cap, count towards this season?

So that could chop down, or eliminate altogether, the penalties?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So if they move money at the deadline (say Zacha, for example), the bonuses could, up to the cap, count towards this season?

So that could chop down, or eliminate altogether, the penalties?
Yes, but I am expecting that once McAvoy and Grzelcyk are good to go, they will move a defenceman out at that time.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Yes, but I am expecting that once McAvoy and Grzelcyk are good to go, they will move a defenceman out at that time.
Makes sense.

I guess where I was going with the question is, in the event that they find themselves out of it at the deadline, they could deal someone(s) to get out from under the penalties and start fresh in 23-24.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

great breakdown! Thanks

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Fantastic news about Krejci and Bergeron returning!!! The Bruins solved their 1st and 2nd line center issues all in one day. Bravo!

Most importantly, this buys Don Sweeney and the Bruins Front Office another year to find Patrice Bergeron’s eventual successor.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Fantastic news about Krejci and Bergeron returning!!! The Bruins solved their 1st and 2nd line center issues all in one day. Bravo!

Most importantly, this buys Don Sweeney and the Bruins Front Office another year to find Patrice Bergeron’s eventual successor.

That's a hat trick of signings, and fine with me. It delays the inevitable, but it buys the Bruins time, and at least makes them "competitive" this season.

Surprised PZ did not sign a two or three year deal, but I actually like the "show me/prove it" aspect of a single season signing. It's going to be on Zacha to prove himself, and he evidently believes he can. We'll see, but again, I like it.

So, credit where due. Sweeney deserves it here.

An interesting season ahead, on several fronts.

Bruinsguy613

Jul 13, 2022
With everyone signed now, what’s the move ? Use LTIR or move Reilly now and use Achan to start the season?

Or wait till people are healthy and move Reilly and Nosek? That way maybe we don’t have to carry over the bonus overages …

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
That's a hat trick of signings, and fine with me. It delays the inevitable, but it buys the Bruins time, and at least makes them "competitive" this season.

Surprised PZ did not sign a two or three year deal, but I actually like the "show me/prove it" aspect of a single season signing. It's going to be on Zacha to prove himself, and he evidently believes he can. We'll see, but again, I like it.

I’m with you on giving Sweeney the credit. He does deserve it.

I am very interested in how they address the center position long-term, though. If I’m Don Sweeney, I’m on the phones tomorrow morning talking to my scouts and the other GMs about the Bruins’ next number one center.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With everyone signed now, what’s the move ? Use LTIR or move Reilly now and use Achan to start the season?

Or wait till people are healthy and move Reilly and Nosek? That way maybe we don’t have to carry over the bonus overages …
you wait until LTIR is cleared is the understanding I got from what Dom said

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't think Sweeney deserves credit. Bergeron and Krejci deserve credit. They're the ones making a sacrifice for the good of the team. They have to watch Nick Foligno make more money than them this season. Don Sweeney got his extension, and I bet he didn't sign for pennies on the dollar like 37 & 46.

Sweeney should be embarrassed it came to this, that he couldn't make a hockey trade to free up money, or hold his wad last July when he spent all that money on depth players in free agency. And fwiw, I say this as someone who is not a Sweeney hater. I think he's done some good things, I think he has some innovative ideas but I also think he makes costly mistakes... and I don't think making two iconic players bend over because you mismanaged the cap is praise worthy.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

Fabulous news. Great signings, well executed. Those people in “the sky is falling” camp are presumably back in the fold as we all look forward to game 1.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think Sweeney deserves credit. Bergeron and Krejci deserve credit. They're the ones making a sacrifice for the good of the team. They have to watch Nick Foligno make more money than them this season. Don Sweeney got his extension, and I bet he didn't sign for pennies on the dollar like 37 & 46.

Sweeney should be embarrassed it came to this, that he couldn't make a hockey trade to free up money, or hold his wad last July when he spent all that money on depth players in free agency. And fwiw, I say this as someone who is not a Sweeney hater. I think he's done some good things, I think he has some innovative ideas but I also think he makes costly mistakes... and I don't think making two iconic players bend over because you mismanaged the cap is praise worthy.
Come on man.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

They can get pretty close to the cap now just by waiving Wags and Foligno... the bigger issue is keeping Studnicka on the roster. So, I think they wait until players start coming off IR before they move someone out. Hopefully, at that point there will be a team that needs some help and will be more desperate to pick up a player for free than we are to unload them.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Great post Bill

Very confused about the "Sweenius" posts I've been seeing over these signings.

These guys wanted Boston or nothing. He didn't have to compete against 30+ other teams to get these guys signed.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Now dump Foligno, Nosek, & Gryz. Bring in Lucic (50% retained) & PK Subban on a 1 year cheap contract. With Mcavoy out long term, Subban can fill in with some offense. I think he still has something left in the tank & will try to bring his value up. Play Lucic Frederic Steen on the 4th line. This team would be so fun to watch

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

This seems unnecessarily negative.

I also doubt either guy cares about “watching Foligno make more than them this season.”

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I honestly think these signings make the Bruins competitive, as in, they can compete for the Cup. It is the first time in a long while that they have legit two scoring lines, excellent no.1 and no.2 D and a couple of capable goalies. Hall and Lindholm filled long-time holes in the roster and Krejci’s comeback fills the hole his departure created last season. I don’t see any massive holes in the roster anymore. And most of the big teams in the league - Colorado, Tampa, Florida have lost significant pieces which should open the field of contenders a bit.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This seems unnecessarily negative.

I also doubt either guy cares about “watching Foligno make more than them this season.”
Fair enough. I don't consider myself a negative person, or overly negative towards Sweeney.

I've never criticized him for the 2015 draft or their drafting in general. How many people on this board can say that? I have criticized Sweeney for not doing enough at deadlines during "the window" but I've also praised him for the Lindholm, Hall and Coyle deals. I praised him for the DeBrusk and McAvoy deals. I've praised him for the atmosphere he's helped create over there among the players.

IMO, credit for these deals goes to the players and nobody else. And while I'm sure they will never complain about it, the fact is they deserved better.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Usually love your stuff, but this one seems a little unhinged. There is no indication either of these guys are holding grudges or smarting that Foligno (who Bergeron advocated for) is under contract.

Nobody is being made to “bend over”. They both could have signed anywhere in the league, but they chose Boston.

Believe it or not, Sweeney has a lot to do with players wanting to play here and play here for less. He’s built this team, and their approach

My question is, would Krejci have come back if Cassidy were still coaching?

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
While its obviously great news to solidify the top two center positions with great players, I still feel that with two 36+ centers playing over 100 games, it should put even more pressure on the bottom 2 centers, whoever they are, to carry even more of the load and actually eat more minutes and produce.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad