Injury Report: 2022-23 injury report

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Wings, sens, canucks have at the least shown they will play the player in the nhl when they show they deserved it. Eklunds reward for being one of the best at the at ahl for the sharks is to be demoted back because stupid reasons.

There are zero people that disagreed with his demotion last season, some (including the player himself) disagreed with where that demotion was in the world though. But this year he deserved his call up and then showed that he deserved to play out the final 14 games at the nhl level, not being demoted to lose money.

Yes sending him back to Europe last year was the wrong decision, the player himself wanted to stay in san jose but with the Barracuda. Him getting accustomed to the smaller ice was all he needed to learn which he then had to spend a good chunk of this season learning.
Look I’m just as excited about Eklund as anyone but to say the Sharks should have kept him in San Jose last year because it’s what he wanted seems crazy to me. Historically it has benefited players to return to Europe for another season and Eklund is no different. It’s easy to say getting accustomed to the smaller ice is all he needed but I don’t think the extra year in the gym, gaining muscle and adding strength hurt. Clearly that’s benefited him this year as he has said himself. I mean he just turned 20 less than six months ago. What’s the point in rushing him just to appease fans that have little else to cheer for?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Wings, sens, canucks have at the least shown they will play the player in the nhl when they show they deserved it. Eklunds reward for being one of the best at the at ahl for the sharks is to be demoted back because stupid reasons.

There are zero people that disagreed with his demotion last season, some (including the player himself) disagreed with where that demotion was in the world though. But this year he deserved his call up and then showed that he deserved to play out the final 14 games at the nhl level, not being demoted to lose money.

Yes sending him back to Europe last year was the wrong decision, the player himself wanted to stay in san jose but with the Barracuda. Him getting accustomed to the smaller ice was all he needed to learn which he then had to spend a good chunk of this season learning.

I would counter this by saying the exact opposite; everything they did is right and their decisions are based on what is best for him not what he, as a 20 year old, thinks is best for himself.

Playing in Sweden gave him time and let him gain muscle and build up his body. Playing in the AHL all season let him grow SIGNIFICANTLY as a player, and that’s easy to tell by looking at his trajectory this year.

Is it arguable that he should’ve been kept up? Sure. But I still think it makes more sense for him to play for the playoffs in the AHL over playing for worst overall in the NHL. It’s unfortunate he got hurt but that’s an irreverent hindsight thing - he could’ve been hurt in the nhl too.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Also Sommer and the Cuda were extra awful as a developing team. So bad that Chmelevski decided to go develop in Russia instead.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Look I’m just as excited about Eklund as anyone but to say the Sharks should have kept him in San Jose last year because it’s what he wanted seems crazy to me. Historically it has benefited players to return to Europe for another season and Eklund is no different. It’s easy to say getting accustomed to the smaller ice is all he needed but I don’t think the extra year in the gym, gaining muscle and adding strength hurt. Clearly that’s benefited him this year as he has said himself. I mean he just turned 20 less than six months ago. What’s the point in rushing him just to appease fans that have little else to cheer for?
You do realize the ahl is a better more nhl like league then the swedish elite league? Its not even the best league in Europe, and could be argued that its not even the 2nd best league.

And the gain weight thing is a silly reason as he could of did the same thing on the ahl team. He would of got more hockey in last season also as he missed what seemed like a months worth of games because of the covid restrictions and other stuff.

Rewarding players for good play is how you keep them happy and willing to take team discounts. But punishing them for doing everything that you ask from them and exceeding at it by sending them back to the minors is not a good thing.

And you do not learn more playing in a lesser league and winning then you do in a better league and losing. Being pushed with better players is how you grow.

But then again the sharks as an organization has such an amazing stellar track record of developing players that we should bow down to every decision they make regarding whats best for players.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
You do realize the ahl is a better more nhl like league then the swedish elite league? Its not even the best league in Europe, and could be argued that its not even the 2nd best league.

And the gain weight thing is a silly reason as he could of did the same thing on the ahl team. He would of got more hockey in last season also as he missed what seemed like a months worth of games because of the covid restrictions and other stuff.

Rewarding players for good play is how you keep them happy and willing to take team discounts. But punishing them for doing everything that you ask from them and exceeding at it by sending them back to the minors is not a good thing.

And you do not learn more playing in a lesser league and winning then you do in a better league and losing. Being pushed with better players is how you grow.

But then again the sharks as an organization has such an amazing stellar track record of developing players that we should bow down to every decision they make regarding whats best for players.
Actually, one might argue that the SHL is seen as the stronger league then AHL.

If we look at it from scoring modeling, it goes something like this: NHL > KHL > Czech/SHL > NLA/Liiga/AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad