Prospect Info: 2022 #225 - G Ivan Zhigalov

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well, we're familiar with goalies who drop their glove hands, so...
colorado-avalanche-philipp-grubauer.gif

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He’s flashy and athletic… but has some serious flaws. That’s why he fell… people don’t like his feet and technicals. Love his pure athletic ability.

This is a bet you can teach him to calm his feet, keep his glove hand from diving and building rebound control… while still keeping the ability to move quickly to make big saves (he has by far the most side to side highlight reel glove saves of any goalie in this draft).
So not like Annunen then?

Reactions: MarkT

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
he is from Belarus? I already like it by default.

just noticed that Dylan Silverstein guy (amazing name btw) went undrafted. we could pick him later too as a college UFA, I guess?

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
This selection is another example of Sakic's creativity in terms of trying to fill a position of need by thinking outside of the box.

Did it with Francouz, Nichushkin, Meyers and now Zhigalov. Who's are goalie coach again? Parkkila? Can Parkkila fix Zhigalov's fundamentals? Would like to read @Gigantor The Goalie's take on this kid.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This selection is another example of Sakic's creativity in terms of trying to fill a position of need by thinking outside of the box.

Did it with Francouz, Nichushkin, Meyers and now Zhigalov. Who's are goalie coach again? Parkkila? Can Parkkila fix Zhigalov's fundamentals? Would like to read @Gigantor The Goalie's take on this kid.

I'm positive both he and Peter Budaj will be working with him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
How cool would it be for the Avs to hit on the very last pick of the draft...
If they do I would recommend they only keep their top-10 picks and trade for the last pick of the draft every year...trade all other picks....Profit!!!!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

There's a way Parkkila (and I guess Bednar/Sakic) want the goalies to play for the Avs. They want their goalies to be able to get aggressive quickly and react quickly to the chaos in front of them while having good positioning/structure to their game. We heard it from Jonas Johansson that as soon as he got to the Avs they wanted him to get aggressive in his challenging. So with Ivan Zhigalov they found themselves a goalie who can get aggressive quickly. He's able to get off powerful, explosive pushes via his edges and does well in manipulating his edges to get him around the crease quickly. If you want a big goalie who can haul ass Zhigalov fits that bill.

The downside with Zhigalov is it looks like he just started playing the position at the start of the year. Mechanically and structurally...he has neither in any large quantities. He'd fit in well at a U14 goalie camp. He's got some of the basics down but it's hard not to look at him and wonder how has this guy made any saves. You do have to give him credit for his shot tracking and reactions. It's going to be a long process though getting this guy up to speed on what it really takes to be a goalie. Budaj and Parkkila are not playing on easy mode with Zhigalov.

Side note: C'mon Hugo Havelid was right there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There's a way Parkkila (and I guess Bednar/Sakic) want the goalies to play for the Avs. They want their goalies to be able to get aggressive quickly and react quickly to the chaos in front of them while having good positioning/structure to their game. We heard it from Jonas Johansson that as soon as he got to the Avs they wanted him to get aggressive in his challenging. So with Ivan Zhigalov they found themselves a goalie who can get aggressive quickly. He's able to get off powerful, explosive pushes via his edges and does well in manipulating his edges to get him around the crease quickly. If you want a big goalie who can haul ass Zhigalov fits that bill.

The downside with Zhigalov is it looks like he just started playing the position at the start of the year. Mechanically and structurally...he has neither in any large quantities. He'd fit in well at a U14 goalie camp. He's got some of the basics down but it's hard not to look at him and wonder how has this guy made any saves. You do have to give him credit for his shot tracking and reactions. It's going to be a long process though getting this guy up to speed on what it really takes to be a goalie. Budaj and Parkkila are not playing on easy mode with Zhigalov.

Side note: C'mon Hugo Havelid was right there.
I might be accused of being a size-queen by Hasbro but does Havelid comes with a twin so that they cover the whole net? 5'10" 174 lbs Yikes. that is very small by NHL standards.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I might be accused of being a size-queen by Hasbro but does Havelid comes with a twin so that they cover the whole net? 5'10" 174 lbs Yikes. that is very small by NHL standards.
He does come with a twin though he plays defense and is about the same size. The weight isn't NHL size but honestly goalies are given height boosts all the time. Antti Raanta for example is not 6' tall. He's an inch or so shorter. Juuse Saros is another small goalie. It's a market inefficiency that teams refuse to take advantage of. They keep drafting these huge goalies that are slow as hell, full of holes or don't actually know how to play the position when you can give smaller goalies opportunities that can actually make a difference. I'm not saying every small goalie is going to make it and every big goalie won't. It's just a lot of teams don't even want to consider a small goalie for whatever reason.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He does come with a twin though he plays defense and is about the same size. The weight isn't NHL size but honestly goalies are given height boosts all the time. Antti Raanta for example is not 6' tall. He's an inch or so shorter. Juuse Saros is another small goalie. It's a market inefficiency that teams refuse to take advantage of. They keep drafting these huge goalies that are slow as hell, full of holes or don't actually know how to play the position when you can give smaller goalies opportunities that can actually make a difference. I'm not saying every small goalie is going to make it and every big goalie won't. It's just a lot of teams don't even want to consider a small goalie for whatever reason.
Frank also isn’t 6’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad