Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: The Search for a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Imagine comparing this team to last years though. They're nothing alike and this team is significantly weaker. Case in point, Evan Rodrigues is the 2C.

I dont claim to be "the God of all Avs hockey knowledge" but if you honestly look at this roster and think 2C isn't a problem, that's simply a major issue with your evaluation of the lineup. It isn't just me claiming the 2C is a big problem, literally everyone sees the problem except apparently you and Sea Eagles whose nothing more than an eternal blind optimist with this team.
What we don't really know is how all-in ownership and management is for this season. Having a stud 2C would obviously make a big difference this year, but it's no guarantee of getting as far and the limited assets and cap space make it crucial that if we get a big fish that they are the correct one. Horvat here would be pretty ideal but as we've said over and over he'd almost have to be a one and done.

On paper and in an unrealistic scenario where everyone is healthy, this team is as good or better than last year outside of that pesky 2C. The D should be better, but it's been banged up. We do miss Burakovksy on offense, but we also scored way more goals than we needed to last year. Goaler situation seems to be about the same, or at least I see the same highs and lows in both the play and people's praise and complaints on this board.

There are different ways to achieve the improvement of the offense. A talented winger and moving Mikko to C or having he and Landy switch off is on. Eventually we should have a pretty damn good 3rd line too. 4th line as well since we've been playing those bottom 6 as top 6 most of the season and still kept heads above water. To me the most compelling thing is what we're actually going to do as an approach. I'd love to see the F-it PL approach but I do realize I will also have to keep watching this team in the not as great years after.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

- The big swing centers -
1. Bo Horvat
2. Ryan O'Reilly
3. Jonathan Toews

- Notable forwards -
4. Sean Monahan
5. JVR
6. Lars Eller

- Depth pieces -
7. Nick Bjugstad
8. Nick Bonino
9. Noel Acciari

- Depth defensemen -
10. Luke Schenn
11. Jack Johnson
12. Dmitry Kulikov

- Multi-year contributors -
13. Jack Roslovic
14. Anthony Duclair

-A longer-term wildcard -
15. Kevin Hayes

I mean the best options are Hayes retained heavily and Horvat really.

I will say Duclair would be a nice addition, but he would only make sense in addition to adding a C.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Blues wouldn’t trade him to Colorado, but I think ROR would get rejuvenated on the Avs. Give him Rantanen and Lekhonen and that would be a great line, or go shutdown line with Landy and Nuke on his wing.

Not happening though. The Blues probably have 30 other teams they’d rather trade him to.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The biggest issue with filling the 2C role via TDL is that neither of the other two options outside of Bo can skate. They need a guy who can drive play with their up-temp style and neither of those guys fit the bill at this point in their careers. It really is Bo or bust, IMO. And considering there's a very real possibility that they simply cannot make it work via cap and/or assets, it may be best to just defer to ERod and try to fill out the depth instead.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Bold prediction: The Avs will acquire Vinny Trocheck after the Rangers trade Alexis Lafreniere as part of a package for Bo Horvat.
Pretty bold indeed. Tro seems to be fitting in alright in NY and pretty uncommon to trade a guy less than a year into signing him for multiple years. If there’s a team to do it tho it would be the rangers or Vegas.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Blues wouldn’t trade him to Colorado, but I think ROR would get rejuvenated on the Avs. Give him Rantanen and Lekhonen and that would be a great line, or go shutdown line with Landy and Nuke on his wing.

Not happening though. The Blues probably have 30 other teams they’d rather trade him to.
I doubt teams think this way. A young player under contract for several years? Yeah, keep him out of the division even if it means a lesser return (which is stupid, always get the most value). But a pending UFA? I doubt they have any issues sending him here if they decide to sell.

Reactions: shadow1

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I doubt teams think this way. A young player under contract for several years? Yeah, keep him out of the division even if it means a lesser return (which is stupid, always get the most value). But a pending UFA? I doubt they have any issues sending him here if they decide to sell.
Oh I think there is definite reluctance to say the least for Army to deal O’Reilly to Colorado. Blues fans would throw a fit over that. I also don’t think there’s much enthusiasm on the Avs side to reacquire him.

Besides, would the Avs really be able to offer up the best package for his services? I seriously doubt that.

I’ll be stunned beyond believe if ROR ends up in an Avs jersey ever again.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Video game scenario:

Cmakic calls up AZ and tells them to claim Vrana and trade him 50% retained to Colorado along with Chychrun for Girard, Newhook and two 1sts.

Speaking of Chychrun, how in the hell has nobody paid the asking price for him yet? Friedman said yesterday they’re looking for a good prospect and two 1sts but the best anybody has sent yet is a top prospect and one 1st. Like how in the hell is Toronto or Edmonton not all over that? A guy who would undoubtedly be either team’s #1D who is signed for 3 years at like 4.5M and they won’t pony up another 1st?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Video game scenario:

Cmakic calls up AZ and tells them to claim Vrana and trade him 50% retained to Colorado along with Chychrun for Girard, Newhook and two 1sts.

Speaking of Chychrun, how in the hell has nobody paid the asking price for him yet? Friedman said yesterday they’re looking for a good prospect and two 1sts but the best anybody has sent yet is a top prospect and one 1st. Like how in the hell is Toronto or Edmonton not all over that? A guy who would undoubtedly be either team’s #1D who is signed for 3 years at like 4.5M and they won’t pony up another 1st?
Chychrun's medical is likely the biggest factor. Was a huge reason he slipped in the draft, and the dude has constantly been injured in the NHL.

I actually want the Avs to take a chance on Vrana. It will cause cap issues, but they could be getting a very good goal scorer for 1.5 years at a reasonable amount. There is major risk to it, and when players return, something will have to be done... but he makes the Avs better for the duration if he plays at a similar level.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Apparently Vrana is 12th since 2018 in goals per 60, scoring at the same rate as guys like Kucherov, Rantanen, and Connor.

Obviously in less minutes due to a lot more injuries but it isn't exactly a small sample size. Dude can score.

That said, Avs won't touch him. Just can't see it happening with our cap situation and Vrana's potential off ice issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Apparently Vrana is 12th since 2018 in goals per 60, scoring at the same rate as guys like Kucherov, Rantanen, and Connor.

Obviously in less minutes due to a lot more injuries but it isn't exactly a small sample size. Dude can score.

That said, Avs won't touch him. Just can't see it happening with our cap situation and Vrana's potential off ice issues.
He's got a wicked shot and can play a style that would mesh with the Avs well. I will say, the off ice issues cause some fan scare and I get that... many, many players suffer from similar and many don't get treatment.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah the 5v5 production has been selling me on him hard. 5.25 million dollars on a winger is tough to swallow given the makeup of this team, but 5v5 production is something this team desperately needs. I think I want him but man I wish there was a way to convince someone to claim him and trade him to Colorado retained.

Reactions: dahrougem2

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah the 5v5 production has been selling me on him hard. 5.25 million dollars on a winger is tough to swallow given the makeup of this team, but 5v5 production is something this team desperately needs. I think I want him but man I wish there was a way to convince someone to claim him and trade him to Colorado retained.
I think chances are higher a team does that than they are the Avs claiming him. I can't see us putting a claim in at his full cap hit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the Avs will grab Vrana, but I'm not sure a team lower will claim him. You have the teams clearly tanking and don't want to get better this year. Then the Vancouver, St Louis, Florida, Nashville, and Calgary group that can't afford him. Ottawa who has money issues and won't add salary right now. Which kinda leaves it at Buffalo.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
If Seattle had the cap space I think they'd claim Vrana. They are still on the playoff bubble, still showing they can win big games (see last night), etc. Granted, they could waive Donskoi to make room or some other means but I guess we'll see.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
This is true. Before winning the Cup last year they wasted the prior 3 years by doing f*** all at the trade deadlines. The Avs wasted a good chunk of their window.
Safe to say they learned their lesson. Only issue now is that they're extremely asset-poor and have even less cap wiggle room this time around.

Reactions: Azrael89

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Bold prediction: The Avs will acquire Vinny Trocheck after the Rangers trade Alexis Lafreniere as part of a package for Bo Horvat.
Lol Rangers regret Trochek themselves already, no one is taking him

Blues probably want him for their own playoffs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Lol Rangers regret Trochek themselves already, no one is taking him

Man that is a take... Trocheck has 30 points and is playing a ton of minutes for the Rangers. Since December rolled around, he's been arguably their best player and a very big reason they've gone on a run. He's arguably their 1C 5v5 right now. Zibi gets more minutes because he pulls heavy PK duty. Trocheck/Bread and whoever they are playing with tends to be their top 5v5 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad