2022-2023 Senators Prospect Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I asked Chris Peters for his thoughts on Oscar Pettersson's game yesterday.

Sweden won that game 7-0 and just following the comments along as the game went on it certainly seemed like Sweden dominated the younger USA split squad

Any where we can watch these games. Onhockey isn't showing them; NHL Network neither

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You may not be, I guess, but I sometimes am, and I know others are too. You do you of course, but I’m personally going to try and make some changes in how I engage in here and around sports in general.

I am done trying to argue with people about the hockey team.

It just isn’t worth the emotional investment, and I find it starts to take away from enjoying the game, and enjoying the discourse in general on here.

Hope you’re having a a great summer ;)

Some people will want to intellectualize the game and it's perfectly fine as well, like if you want to live the game more "emotionally"

For me, a lot of losing brings apathy, I'm kinda in a waiting mode to start winning again. I enjoy goals, wins but at the end of the day it's just a game. However when you're fighting for a purpose it becomes different... The 2017 playoffs, now that was some crazy good emotions.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You claim that in 2021 we had the brightest future of any team which would mean you largely agreed with our drafting up to that point.

Absolutely. I am on the record for saying that the Sens 2020 draft will be among the bests in NHL history. As usual, some fools laughed at it on the main boards. Well, it doesn't look too silly right now. Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Kleven and maybe more. That's insane.

2019 was good too although the 1st pick wasn't great. 2018 wasn't much outside of Tkachuk (high pick) and JBD. We had very few picks in 2017 but still found Batherson and Formenton. 2016 looks like a flop

Then in 2022, Dorion moved to accelerate the rebuild by bringing in a proven goal scorer in Dabrincat and in doing so traded away an asset that was going to have zero impact on our quest to gain playoff experience, the 2022 first.

There's a possibility that a guy we could have chosen 7th OA plays in the playoffs before us (Kasper or Savoie for example)

I believe PD made the Dabrincat trade for exactly what you are clamouring for, to get us into the playoffs and begin building experience ie. learning to lose in them as you say. I agreed with the move at the time even knowing that we could lose Dabrincat for nothing after two years because I felt learning to lose was going to be invaluable to this teams true window of contention and was worth the 7th.
You have been hyper critical of his asset management with the Dabrincat dealings as your most recent ammunition.

I didn't have a problem with the trade itself and wasn't mad at all because I thought the price we paid was pretty reasonable. However, what happened after that resulted in bad asset management. "Yeah but GMs don't have a crystal ball yadi-yada"... well, having foresight is actually the job of an executive

So you gotta see the contradiction here, no? On one hand you're saying that the team was primed less than 2 years ago and that getting into the playoffs even if to learn to lose (which I wholeheartedly agree with) was important yet on the other you are vocal about how debilitating deals like Dabrincat, which was designed to do exactly that, have been to the team. I feel the 7th OA was a fair gamble to take on the experience you're calling for but you don't I suppose.

I don't quite get how you can reconcile these two positions you have, it seems contradictory to me, or at the very least a hindsight opinion.

Sorry but no, there's no contradiction. I have never said that Dorion shouldn't make the right moves* to get this team closer and closer to the playoffs, then making them and starting to learn "losing in the playoffs". It's actually HIS JOB and I have been asking for that since the 2020 draft. So we failed 3 seasons so far (I don't count being eliminated in November a great learning experience)

* Speaking of the right moves, I have been very vocal about this in every off-season, lack of quality veterans, lack of depth, lack of 2-way forwards, awful bottom-6, awful RD, non-efficient hockey systems (coaching)... Doesn't seem like I was hallucinating

So I'll try to clarify but first you need to see players as stocks. If ADB was worth 7th OA + 39th OA + 3rd, getting late-ish 1st + 4th + UFA + depth prospect doesn't look like a good ROI right now. The thing is I didn't believe DeBrincat was the right fit/need. The value to get him was fine but I thought we should have went a different way (like a RHD + Bjorkstrand for example)

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Another article about the prospects.

Our top prospects have graduated. And we have basically 3/4 of our top four on long term deals/under team control. Our top 6 is 4/6 locked up long term.

Plus non-sen prospect fans are likely not following the late round picks that have shown bottom-six to middle-six winger potential.

Halliday looks good from all accounts and his point totals reflect it. Match Mathew Knies in points. Never say never right? But what about a defensively sound checker. A good two-way game and he could develop.

Daoust was an under the radar prospect last year. Apparently had some good showings in development camp a few years back. He got injured early last year. Bounce back year maybe.

Ostapchuk and Boucher. Both will likely at least see the bigs for a few games. Both sort of max out at the middle six winger requirement.

Crookshank, Soko, Greig

And when Jarventie was engaged into hockey at the C position he had some good totals in the minors. He could still be good.

On D you have Kleven who looked real good bottom 4. JBD too. Lassi had a good year then a bad year. So he could have a good year too.

Sebrango could be good. He could be a good 6th defenceman

That’s all you need. Insulate the core with quality and pick up a free agent here or there. It could work.

The issue is it seems like none of these wingers are stealing a position right now.

On D you got

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
MOAR

AUG 9, 2023

2023-24 NHL PROSPECT POOL OVERVIEW: OTTAWA SENATORS​

The Ottawa Senators are eying a playoff birth for the first time since 2017. While a team of intriguing young talent could make that a possibility, a lack of true star power could hinder those expectations, writes Tony Ferrari.

A lack of true star power? I haven't read the piece yet but what a weird statement.

Stu, Brady, Chabot, JC let alone guys like Norris and Bath and Sandy. Weird position to take.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's talking about the prospect pool
Aha! Good thing I added that I haven't read it yet LOL.

I can agree with that except I think Greig has a chance to be lower key star...think he will produce and be a very effective player in a few years.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Our top prospects have graduated. And we have basically 3/4 of our top four on long term deals/under team control. Our top 6 is 4/6 locked up long term.

Plus non-sen prospect fans are likely not following the late round picks that have shown bottom-six to middle-six winger potential.

Halliday looks good from all accounts and his point totals reflect it. Match Mathew Knies in points. Never say never right? But what about a defensively sound checker. A good two-way game and he could develop.

Daoust was an under the radar prospect last year. Apparently had some good showings in development camp a few years back. He got injured early last year. Bounce back year maybe.

Ostapchuk and Boucher. Both will likely at least see the bigs for a few games. Both sort of max out at the middle six winger requirement.

Crookshank, Soko, Greig

And when Jarventie was engaged into hockey at the C position he had some good totals in the minors. He could still be good.

On D you have Kleven who looked real good bottom 4. JBD too. Lassi had a good year then a bad year. So he could have a good year too.

Sebrango could be good. He could be a good 6th defenceman

That’s all you need. Insulate the core with quality and pick up a free agent here or there. It could work.

The issue is it seems like none of these wingers are stealing a position right now.

On D you got

Yes and no, the advantage in having a continuous pool overflowing with talent is that you can plug a hole with a cheap ELC and when you have talent keep coming up, you won't miss a beat despite your key players getting older/injured/traded

I think our pool is bad but underrated at the same time, we still have several good prospects (with Greig and Kleven as blue chip quality players) from 2018-2020 and 3-4 from the last 3 drafts

The last 3 drafts is what hurts so far. With a 10th, 7th and 12th OA pick, all we have left is Tyler freaking Boucher lol. Sure we still have Chychrun but you wish they went after him (or another RHD) right away without going the DeBrincat route. A solid RHD (even though Chychrun is LHD) and 2 guys like Brown and Paul instead of DeBrincat/Tarasenko and Gambrell/Kelly would go a long way IMO.

So we missed out on Boucher (who is a 3rd round level prospect right now, and even then I'm generous) and have a 7th OA pick that is now a 2024 or 2025 first. We also didn't have a 2nd and a 3rd in the last draft.

Looking at the last 3 drafts, Ostapchuk, Pettersson, Halliday and Donovan seem to be the only 4 prospects that might become something... Our overall haul for these 3 drafts is going to be way too weak, which is really not ideal when you haven't even started to make the playoffs a consistent basis.

Asset management and drafting needs an overhaul (pro scouting too)

I can agree with that except I think Greig has a chance to be lower key star...think he will produce and be a very effective player in a few years.

Depends on what is "star" definition but I see Greig becoming a Jaden Schwartz type/level

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Depends on what is "star" definition but I see Greig becoming a Jaden Schwartz type/level
Yes. Even when I was referencing Chabot and JC...are they, "stars"? I don't know - I think they could make an All-Star team any given year.

I think Greig could become an NHL wide recognizable name for how he plays, but won't produce offensively like a top star would.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes. Even when I was referencing Chabot and JC...are they, "stars"? I don't know - I think they could make an All-Star team any given year.

I think Greig could become an NHL wide recognizable name for how he plays, but won't produce offensively like a top star would.

Jaden's career high is 63 pts so I think the comparison holds the road. He missed games pretty much every year except the 71 games season in 2019-20 so it also what we could expect from Greig as well (unfortunately)

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad