2022-2023 Around The League

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Who needs depth on forward? McDrai will obviously just one playoff season score a 100 combined points in the playoffs.
I'm torn on Puljujarvi. On one hand, there's very evident raw talent within this player and the underlying metrics are all very positive.

On the other hand, you watch him play and he leaves you wanting to scream into a pillow if you're an Oiler fan. Doesn't finish his checks is my biggest gripe for a guy that is supposed to be a hound on the forecheck.

He does, however, put himself into glorious scoring areas. Just hasn't been able to finish them at the rate the Oilers (McDavid/Draisaitl) are happy with. But that to me suggests the hockey IQ isn't as bad as some people have claimed, because he clearly is doing the right things on the ice. Eventually IMO I believe this player can be a 45-50 point two-way contributor but it will not be in Edmonton.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Lets look at the history of both the team and the player:

Pool Party - Wins world junior gold, high draft pedigree, raw talent, and analytics look good

Oilers - trade away Hall has an MVP season, give up on Schultz becomes a top 4 NHL defender, Dubnyk starting goaltender, Marino top 4 D, Eberle as well becomes legit tho he showed promise. I'm probably forgetting others but the Oilers are known for completely wasting away young talent and just sucking in general.

I know which side I lean to....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm torn on Puljujarvi. On one hand, there's very evident raw talent within this player and the underlying metrics are all very positive.

On the other hand, you watch him play and he leaves you wanting to scream into a pillow if you're an Oiler fan. Doesn't finish his checks is my biggest gripe for a guy that is supposed to be a hound on the forecheck.

He does, however, put himself into glorious scoring areas. Just hasn't been able to finish them at the rate the Oilers (McDavid/Draisaitl) are happy with. But that to me suggests the hockey IQ isn't as bad as some people have claimed, because he clearly is doing the right things on the ice. Eventually IMO I believe this player can be a 45-50 point two-way contributor but it will not be in Edmonton.

The Avs skill coaches have helped quite a few guys elevate their puck skills, so it would be a worthwhile bet that thy can do the same with Puljujarvi.

That said, Edmonton would be wise to not trade him to Colorado for multiple reasons.

Firstly the Avs will likely be their biggest obstacle again next year if they want to come out of the west (if they make it out of their division) so trading with them isn't ideal.

And secondly, given the Avs success with Nichuskin who profiles similarly to Puljujarvi (at least analytically) trading with the Avs is probably the most likely avenue for them to end up with egg on their face if they trade him cheap and he explodes like Nichuskin has done.

There doesn't appear to be a very good trade fit either, as the Avs don't have a 1st this year or 2nd's in any of the next three drafts. Unless you expand the deal to do something around Girard for Puljujarvi++ there's no clear match. Perhaps you could convince them to do Compher+ for Puljujarvi, but that seems optimistic and a pending UFA like Compher who most certainly would leave next year wouldn't be their preferred return.

Avs also need to be prioritising assets towards a 2C and goalie, making a trade for a winger like Puljujarvi even less likely. So all-in-all not a great trade fit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
All depends on what New Jersey gives up... if it is a 3rd round pick or meh prospect, yeah easily worth it. If they have to give up Holtz totally not worth it. Lots of variations on both sides.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Is it just me, it seems stupid that the Panthers moved on from the interim coach they had last season?

During the regular season, he had that team firing on all cylinders, and in the playoffs, they ran into the same juggernaut that we ran into, and their offense crumbled as a result.

I would have tried to run it back with that guy again.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Man, as a Habs fan I'd love it if Kent Hughes managed to convince New Jersey he might pick Slaf, get assets to move down, then pick Wright at 2.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Man, as a Habs fan I'd love it if Kent Hughes managed to convince New Jersey he might pick Slaf, get assets to move down, then pick Wright at 2.
It is probably a win-win for both teams if it happens. New Jersey has zero need for Wright and need the highest ceiling winger in the draft... Slaf is that. Montreal desperately needs centers, but Wright likely isn't the BPA in this draft (frankly I'm not sure he's top 4 maybe 5). Take the #1 pick label off Wright and he can be a successful pick even though he doesn't likely end up the best player.

Reactions: MacKaRant and MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Is it just me, it seems stupid that the Panthers moved on from the interim coach they had last season?

During the regular season, he had that team firing on all cylinders, and in the playoffs, they ran into the same juggernaut that we ran into, and their offense crumbled as a result.

I would have tried to run it back with that guy again.
I read somewhere it may have been a case of an inexperience GM (Bill Zito) wanting a veteran coach. Brunette really doesn't have a ton of experience as a head coach. Seems like he just kept going with what coach Q started, but when the playoffs came and he needed to make adjustments, he wasn't able to get the job done. Florida was pathetic against Tampa. It wasn't just Tampa shutting them down - they looked lost in that series.

It is probably a win-win for both teams if it happens. New Jersey has zero need for Wright and need the highest ceiling winger in the draft... Slaf is that. Montreal desperately needs centers, but Wright likely isn't the BPA in this draft (frankly I'm not sure he's top 4 maybe 5). Take the #1 pick label off Wright and he can be a successful pick even though he doesn't likely end up the best player.
Exactly. I really hate Montreal's position here. There's narrative pressure to pick Wright as well as a positional need, but at first overall you really should be taking the guy with the best chance to be a superstar, and I agree Wright is not even close to first on the list of potential superstars in this draft. If someone trades for that first pick and takes the pressure off them, I'd be very happy.

By the way, it's so weird being a fan of the team that won the cup as well as the team that finished last and is picking first overall. It's like I have split personalities as a fan.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. I think they should just sit and not blink.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. I think they should just sit and not blink.
I think that argument could be made, but Montreal could easily trade to 3 or 4 and still have a good shot at Wright. Or take a risk on Gautier. New Jersey getting leapfrogged could ruin their shot at Slaf

Reactions: MarkT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad