Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You have a point to make, or...
Yes.

Unattractive markets have it much tougher than the attractive ones because players get UFA too early and the good ones tend to pick the attractive markets (of course).

Small markets either have to overpay for less attractive UFAs or trade for players that don't have them on their NMC.

I do think it was a bad move from Dorion last summer, mainly because of the point above.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the Sens are close to making the playoffs and having success. DeBrincat isn't leaving because the team sucks.

Reactions: Azrael89

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes.

Unattractive markets have it much tougher than the attractive ones because players get UFA too early and the good ones tend to pick the attractive markets (of course).

Small markets either have to overpay for less attractive UFAs or trade for players that don't have them on their NMC.

I do think it was a bad move from Dorion last summer, mainly because of the point above.

Anyone with half a brain knows that the Sens are close to making the playoffs and having success. DeBrincat isn't leaving because the team sucks.

I didn't say it wasn't a factor at all, just that it was overstated.

I also don't buy the blanket statement that small markets have to overpay and big markets don't. Native GTA boys John Tavares and Mitchell Marner took no discount whatsoever with their current contracts, and while Artemi Panarin reportedly turned down more money from the Islanders, he ain't exactly working for cheap at Madison Square Garden.

I'll concede the Sens do appear to be close in some respects, but I don't think they have the goaltending or the coaching. The one area they're doing well in is special teams. My point is that the pending departure of one Alex "Girard Punching Bag" DeBrincat is not really a strong basis to start a "The NHL is turning into the NBA!" argument. Even the Sens signed their own hometown boy the very same offseason they acquired DeBrincat and it's no secret that was Jakob Chychrun's preferred destination.

The two markets that DO appear to be struggling to hold onto talent in my mind are Columbus and Winnipeg.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The two markets that DO appear to be struggling to hold onto talent in my mind are Columbus and Winnipeg.
All the Canadian markets struggle to attract players except Toronto (and Vancouver to a lesser extend). Cold, taxes, media, etc.

Marc Bergevin before leaving Montreal mentioned how it was common now for UFAs to solicit Canadian markets to get contract offers and then turn around and use these offers to negotiate with different US teams (and in the end they sign in the US for less than the original Canadian offer). Apparently it's a pretty big issue.

When Marchand said recently that no one is taking a discount to play in Edmonton he wasn't kidding.

Reactions: The Moops

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
All the Canadian markets struggle to attract players except Toronto (and Vancouver to a lesser extend). Cold, taxes, media, etc.

Marc Bergevin before leaving Montreal mentioned how it was common now for UFAs to solicit Canadian markets to get contract offers and then turn around and use these offers to negotiate with different US teams (even if in the end they sign there for less). Apparently it's a pretty big issue.

When Marchand said recently that no one is taking a discount to play in Edmonton he wasn't kidding.

Well, based on what people in this very forum and also elsewhere have told me about Edmonton, there's a reason for that and it isn't because Edmonton is in Canada.

I just don't entirely buy this argument--Alex DeBrincat wants out, fine. Trade him and move on. Giroux signed there and everyone knew he was going to sign there. Tkachuk signed long-term, as did Josh Norris and Drake Batherson, and as stated before, Ottawa was Chychrun's preferred destination. Oh and while he didn't stay, Matt Duchene also wanted to go there. Canadian markets may be at a bit of a disadvantage but it's not some ridiculous discrepancy.

And Marc Bergevin struck out with free agents mostly because he was a wildly incompetent GM and absolutely horrid negotiator. His successors don't appear to be having any issues whatsoever attracting and retaining talent. In fact they too got a hometown boy in Mike Matheson and much to my surprise, he's thriving there.

We should also note that these teams that seemingly every player wants to play for have yet to truly make it. The Rangers MAY do it soon and they had no less than four players essentially force their way onto that roster, but that's still a franchise that hasn't won it since 1994.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Who are you rooting? Rangers/Devils? Tampa or Toronto?

Personally rooting for Devils and Tampa.
I'm not really rooting per say, but I'd like to see the Rags, Leafs, Bruins and Islanders to advance in the East.

I was surprised last night that I felt let down when Minny won in OT. I hadn't realized that somehow I had started viewing the game from the Stars perspective. *LOL* Crazy how that happened. I really don't care who we face in the West though. Just gotta get at it tonight and keep working for two months.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not really rooting per say, but I'd like to see the Rags, Leafs, Bruins and Islanders to advance in the East.

I was surprised last night that I felt let down when Minny won in OT. I hadn't realized that somehow I had started viewing the game from the Stars perspective. *LOL* Crazy how that happened. I really don't care who we face in the West though. Just gotta get at it tonight and keep working for two months.

I was going to be disappointed no matter who won that game.

If there's one team I don't really have any lasting animosity for it's New Jersey. I like Jack Hughes, I like Jesper Bratt, I still like Ryan Graves, and I happen to think pretty highly of Lindy Ruff. I don't think they have the goaltending, but if I had to choose a team other than the Avs, I suppose I'd pull for them.

But beyond wanting the Avs to win it all, I just want my bracket to be right.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dater and Chambers might be morons, but I don't think they were ever as bad as some of the goons Philadelphia have covering them:

If any franchise were to be handed a kid like Connor Bedard and find a way to completely f*** it up, it would be Philly. Just look at the players who went on to thrive (including two multiple Cup-winning players at least) in other settings they gave away for nothing.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
4 Cops pulling over a man and his wife in a golfcart because he "never came to a complete stop" while driving max 10-15 mph in his neighborhood and make a "drama" out of it....All this at midnight, when no other human being or car is nearby.... Must have been really boring that night if this gets them going....:D :laugh:
Sounds like the city cops in my hometown of 3k. They would sit just outside of the HS parking lot everyday and wait for some 16-18 year-old to peel out or not use a turn signal so they could give them a ticket. The same cops would follow and pull over any teenager if they were seen driving after midnight in town, just hoping they had liquor on them.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Yeah the cops were pretty aggro, and the officer that pulled him over sounded like a doofus, but maybe don't drink and drive you f***ing idiot? Zero sympathy for anyone who drives drunk, even a golf cart

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah the cops were pretty aggro, and the officer that pulled him over sounded like a doofus, but maybe don't drink and drive you f***ing idiot? Zero sympathy for anyone who drives drunk, even a golf cart

As someone who got busted for DWI over 20 years ago (would've been a DUI under current laws, which were enacted mere months after my conviction) I wholeheartedly agree.

He's lucky it was Florida and not Ohio. They throw the damn book at you there.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
As someone who got busted for DWI over 20 years ago (would've been a DUI under current laws, which were enacted mere months after my conviction) I wholeheartedly agree.

He's lucky it was Florida and not Ohio. They throw the damn book at you there.
Here in Nova Scotia too , takes forever an a lot of shit to get them back

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I think Brunette handled it well in the circumstances. I hate DUI but I'm smart enough to know that he wasn't going to kill anyone going 12mph on a golf cart with his wife.

Looks like the cops were bored, must be a sign that there's no crime left in Florida to take care of.

His lawyer says he wasn't drunk:

An attorney for Brunette told Slater: "Mr. Brunette was neither drunk nor impaired. We look forward to Mr. Brunette being vindicated of this accusation."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad