2022 1st round redraft

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Slafkovsky has been the best player in that draft for the last 40-50 games and it isn't particularly close.

Nemec plays a more valuable position but that's basically cancelled out by Slafkovsky's size/physicality bump.

If your view goes no deeper than looking at point totals sure:

From my view:

Nemec has been significantly more beneficial 5v5.
Nemec provides some value on the PK
Nemec provides significantly more value by not putting his team in the box as often (Slaf has one of the worse penalty differentials in hockey)
Slaf provides more value on the power play. But again, how much value is he providing if the Habs PP is still sub 18% with him on PP1.

If you think Slafkovsky's value on the power play makes that big of a difference, go ahead. I don't.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com

From my view:

Nemec provides significantly more value by not putting his team in the box as often (Slaf has one of the worse penalty differentials in hockey)
Slaf provides more value on the power play. But again, how much value is he providing if the Habs PP is still sub 18% with him on PP1.

If you think Slafkovsky's value on the power play makes that big of a difference, go ahead. I don't.
But if you take into value Slafkovsky and Nemec, they both are great picks at 1 and 2. Case closed. ;) I would say that so far, Montreal, NJD and Arizona all did their homework.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
But if you take into value Slafkovsky and Nemec, they both are great picks at 1 and 2. Case closed. ;)
I think Slafkovsky is excellent. I project him out to be a Timo Meier+.

Him and Nemec are the clear 1 and 2 from that draft. I have Nemec a touch higher.

Reactions: Jabba11

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Nemec is a fantastic pick at 2nd overall. He was and still is the safer pick while selecting Slafkovsky is a bit of a gamble. Let's be honest though most Devils fans wanted the big powerforward instead of a defenseman.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Nemec is a fantastic pick at 2nd overall. He was and still is the safer pick while selecting Slafkovsky is a bit of a gamble. Let's be honest though most Devils fans wanted the big powerforward instead of a defenseman.
The power forward I wanted at that pick was Matthew Tkachuk.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Elias Salomonsson will be rocketing up these lists in the next year or two.

#55 overall in this draft, 6'2 RHD and one of the youngest players (still 19).

He was one of the most impressive prospects at the Jets camp last year and has all of the tools to be a top pair guy. He's been playing huge minutes in the SHL the past couple seasons and is a fantastic skater - if we can't re-sign DeMelo I could see him steal a spot playing with Morrissey next year, he looked good on his pairing in pre-season this year.

Reactions: Huffer

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Because The Devils just drafted Luke Hughes the previous year and had a black hole on wing at the time? Meier and Toffoli wouldn't have gotten traded for if the Devils got Slafkovsky.

Slaf would have made the team more well rounded but the Devils had the 2nd overall and now have two defenseman that have all-star potential.

That's only at the draft, Based off their development since then I take Nemec 100%

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
His U-20 production falls right in line with Dawson Mercer's age 19 production at even strength. (these are guys from the last 5 years)

I thought hockey was more than just 5v5? Anyway, glad you are happy with Nemec at #2. He belong there. In a redraft I am pretty sure Slaf goes #1 again.

Just wondering how far a part are you two

@dgibb10 is it Nemec the current best player from the 2022 draft and its not even close?

@Baksfamous112 is Slafkovsky the current best player from the 2022 and its not even close?
It’s close. I just think Slaf is still the better player right now and will remain so unless.. injuries..

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Nemec must be one heck of a defenseman. I'm expecting a lot out of him based on Devils fans opinions. Like a Alex Pietrangelo type career as a floor.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Slaf's progression this season has been astounding. Big, strong, talented and becoming dominant. In 3 years, Nemec won't be in the conversation for #1. It will be between Slaf and Cooley. Nemec should hold onto the 3 spot with Wright nipping at his heels.

Thus far the Habs came out ahead with the top pick. But that's to be expected.

Nemec must be one heck of a defenseman. I'm expecting a lot out of him based on Devils fans opinions. Like a Alex Pietrangelo type career as a floor.
I'm thinking a cross between Bobby Orr and Nick Lidstrom as floor, the way Devils fans talk about him! And that's the floor! lol :)

• Haha
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Why is Nemec so much better than Minty? I haven't seen him play much but everyone is talking about it as if he is the run away best defender when the stats say otherwise. Not to mention Minty has been doing this on a significantly worse team with less support.

GPGAPPPGPIM+/-HitsBlocksAOTI
Nemec
57​
3​
16​
19​
0.33​
26​
-5​
21​
102​
19:57​
Minty
63​
4​
24​
28​
0.44​
24​
-20​
85​
65​
18:51​

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Slaf's progression this season has been astounding. Big, strong, talented and becoming dominant. In 3 years, Nemec won't be in the conversation for #1. It will be between Slaf and Cooley. Nemec should hold onto the 3 spot with Wright nipping at his heels.

I'm thinking a cross between Bobby Orr and Nick Lidstrom as floor, the way Devils fans talk about him! And that's the floor! lol :)
Huh, You really do waver on your comparisons. I thought He was "A poor mans Justin Barron".

Juno Nemec Comparison

You are so right with your predictions though, like Meier not being a fit for the Devils and he should be traded as quickly as possible.

Or how Gritsyuk is some late round trash.

You're constant need to trash the Devils is just plain Jealousy, Though after realizing that Anderson isn't worth anything and defending him even during this season I can understand it.

Oh I forgot Anderson's value is in his leadership which he shows by doing nothing and protecting his teammates. Oh wait Xhekaj does that while not being a -19 player.

You also predicted that the Habs would pick Wright and it would be a good choice so I don't think you're really qualified to say anything in this thread.

Honestly, I really don't get why your first instinct when you don't like someone's opinion on a player is to mock them and the player.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Why is Nemec so much better than Minty? I haven't seen him play much but everyone is talking about it as if he is the run away best defender when the stats say otherwise. Not to mention Minty has been doing this on a significantly worse team with less support.

GPGAPPPGPIM+/-HitsBlocksAOTI
Nemec
57​
3​
16​
19​
0.33​
26​
-5​
21​
102​
19:57​
Minty
63​
4​
24​
28​
0.44​
24​
-20​
85​
65​
18:51​

Nemec generates significantly more primary production.

Nemec has a much better xGoals share (and a better on/off differential).

The underlyings suggest nemec is better offensively and defensively.

Mintyukov has been the clear number 2 dman from the class behind nemec tho, and had a very good season.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Slafkovsky is double the trouble. 1 versus 1 at the same age Slafkovsky would destroy Matthew Tkachuk.
Here are the raw numbers from Tkachuk and Slafs D+1 and D+2

Tkachuk was 100% ahead of where Slaf is

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.39.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.39.21 PM.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.39.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.39.29 PM.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.41.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.41.25 PM.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Slafkovsky is double the trouble. 1 versus 1 at the same age Slafkovsky would destroy Matthew Tkachuk.

Here are the analytical profiles.

The most striking thing is Penalty differential.

Slafkovsky has put his team on the PK for an extra 26 minutes compared to what he's drawn this year. Bottom 10 mark in the league among forwards.

Matthew Tkachuk in his age 19 season drew 41 more minutes of penalties than he allowed.

67 minutes, or 33 power plays. Purely from penalties taken vs drawn, that is Tkachuk helping his team to a goal differential better by 7 goals. Massive impact from 1 guy. Slafkovsky would have to be MUCH better to bridge that gap. He was not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.42.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.42.41 PM.png
    650 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.43.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 2.43.39 PM.png
    717.7 KB · Views: 1

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I thought hockey was more than just 5v5? Anyway, glad you are happy with Nemec at #2. He belong there. In a redraft I am pretty sure Slaf goes #1 again.

It’s close. I just think Slaf is still the better player right now and will remain so unless.. injuries..

I am pretty consistent about what I value:

Primary point generation is important to me, especially for dman.

I value chance generation, and so am generally not swayed by guys sporting sky high shooting %s.

Unless the guy proves he is a consistently elite shooter over multiple years, in which case I value it significantly (Matthews, Drai, Point)

Even strength point generation is important.

Controlling play is important.

I will give SIGNIFCANT props to guys who help lead top tier special teams units/guys who are top tier special teams guys. For example the impact of a Hughes, Krieder, Draisaitl, Hamilton, etc.

Guys who simply exist on special teams, I do not give very much credit to.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

NJD fans have simply said he's the best player from his draft. If habs fans got that twisted into Bobby Orr and Nick Lidstrom, it's probably because they're convinced Slafkovsky is Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemeuix

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
NJD fans have simply said he's the best player from his draft. If habs fans got that twisted into Bobby Orr and Nick Lidstrom, it's probably because they're convinced Slafkovsky is Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemeuix
NJ fans have provided little evidence to support that claim other then

From my view:

for all these benefits that Nemec supposedly provides they shouldn’t have missed a beat losing Dougie and made the playoffs then right?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ fans have provided little evidence to support that claim other then

for all these benefits that Nemec supposedly provides they shouldn’t have missed a beat losing Dougie and made the playoffs then right?
You are talking about one NJ fan maybe two saying that. I'm sure plenty are hoping that but most NJ fans would seem to have no opinion on any comparison between the players for this season. Please don't take what one or two exuberant posters say and turn it into some consensus position.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Re-drafts shouldn't even be considered before 5+ years have passed since the draft.

They are an exercise in futility before then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad