GDT: 2021 NHL Free Agency & Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I would have thought Suter would go for lower term, and pick a contender to chase a cup. Holding out for 4 years on one team seems risky but I guess money talks. I can't see us offering that term. Two years max.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
After reading on DNVR that Gabe's camp turned down 7x7, I'm wondering a couple things:

- why do people still think the Avs' best offer was under 6m?

- I don't think his stats or value are inflated by his linemates. He's a proven two way beast and talented enough to put up points in any other sweater. Is it just me or is 7x7 an incredibly fair deal?

- why would Gabe price himself out? It makes no sense. Captain works hard to lead team from the gutter to the top, then asks team for more than they can afford despite a reasonable offer being on the table. He knows full well what the team's up against with regards to the salary cap. I am dying to know what's really going on behind the scenes, because frankly, this is weird.
I don’t believe that for a second. I don’t see Sakic offering that, nor do I see Gabe declining it.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Your 2021-2022 Colorado Avalanche! *Excitement!*

Athanasiou - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Newhook ------ Kadri ---- Burakovsky
Nichuskin ----- Jost ---- Compher
Ranta ------- Maltsev --- LOC

Sadly, that probably doesn’t look too far off from what we’ll go into the season with.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don’t believe that for a second. I don’t see Sakic offering that, nor do I see Gabe declining it.
Why wouldn't Sakic offer that much? It's a bit rich for my blood but is still a discount compared to what he'll probably get from some sorry ass team that's desperate enough to pay him 8.5+

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
“Then there are the free agents. All eyes are on Philipp Grubauer, the man expected to set the market. Talks between Grubauer and the Avs are going down to the wire for the Vezina Trophy finalist. The belief is Colorado is holding firm at 5 years, $25 million. Grubauer’s camp is believed to be seeking a deal north of $6 million.”
-
Seravalli
Not surprised at all by that. Grubauer has a case for the Markström and Binnington deal. Hopefully they can meet at 5.5m

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Why?

The longer you go, the more their agent is telling them the money trucks are around the corner in UFA.
That's fine. You don't give your very best offer early. Then you have nowhere to go. Look if he wants double what he is worth you can't go there. Sucks

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Lets see who are the most desperate GMs. Every year a bunch of ridiculous deals are signed on the 1st day that even a random hobo on the street would know to be a bad idea.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Put him behind our defense and we are going to the SCF.
Agree. Somehow get them to take Compher in the trade. The Gru money goes to Gibson

Use the extra to see if you can get Gabe to sign for $7x7. If so great you still have some cap space for another couple moves. If you can't you have quite a bit of money to get a couple wingers

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
That's a lot of money and term for a guy who has looked far from elite for long stretches. The guy almost lost the starting job last year to Francouz.

Unload all the assets not named Byram or Newhook for Gibson + Rackell or Manson. Make this our version of the Tampa Miller, Mcdonagh trade. Gibson doesn't let Holden knuckle pucks from the blue line in the playoffs.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Wonder if TJ Miller is an option for Landy replacement. I know VAN has cap space but they need to resign Hughes and Pettersson still. Each could get $7-8M

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

IMO, here's your Gru replacement.

I thought Andersen looked bad last year (not just the numbers, the eye test), but it could've been that he was playing through the knee injury.

Other than Darcy Kuemper, who Colorado has reportedly poking around on, my two predictions: trading for one of Alexandar Georgiev (NYR) or Tristan Jarry (PIT).

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Pretty much what I expected from Grubauer from the start. He's only made 13 million in his career, is already 29, and he'll never get another opportunity like this to ask for big money. I fully expect him to go to a bad team that badly needs goaltending and will overpay him for it.

Landeskog doing that same thing shocks me.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Put him behind our defense and we are going to the SCF.
And if Landeskog walks, do what it takes to acquire a reliable #2 centre who’s good defensively.

Just stifle teams with the best puck possession defense in the league, a killer 1/2/3 down the middle, and great goaltending. The wingers will suck and scoring will go down, but I think that’s a winning formula.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Good f***ing riddance.

upload_2021-7-26_18-25-54.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad