Prospect Info: 2021 Mock Draft 1.0, Post-Palmieri Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
The Islanders pick is very unpredictable.

I feel that if the Devils do not get one of the Big 3 D (Power, Hughes, Clarke), then they will feel pressure to use this pick on a defenseman, especially a RD. Corson Ceulemans would immediately become the favorite, and Scott Morrow would also be a possibility. There would even be a chance of a "surprise pick" of a Aleksi Heimosalmi or Jack Bar or Logan Mailloux.

Or, the Devils could forego shooting-hand and simply take the best available D, which could very well be LD Stanislav Svozil. I have talked at length about Svozil and how terrific a young defenseman he is -- he has really shined in tournament play and in the Czech men's league. I have Svozil ranked in the range of my top 10 -- higher than most -- but the people who love him really love him. His hockey IQ is probably neck-and-neck with Clarke for tops in the 2021 class, and he's a good-sized kid with terrific passing ability and literally zero weaknesses in his game.

If the Devils get one of the Big 3 D, then I'd say the chances certainly go up that NJ takes a F with the Islanders pick. I would add that -- after taking both Holtz and Mercer in the 2020 draft -- a RW would seem less likely than a LW or C (and also, the draft is thinnest at RW of the 3 F positions this year). Several very high-upside kids could be available, and I'll list a few at all 3 F positions (in no order) so you can familiarize yourself:

C
Fyodor Svechkov
Aatu Raty
Francesco Pinelli
Zachary Bolduc
Mackie Samoskevich

RW
Matthew Coronato
Logan Stankoven
Xavier Bourgault

LW
Sasha Pastujov
Zachary L'Heureux
Nikita Chibrikov
Brendan Othmann
Simon Robertsson
Isak Rosen
Oskar Olausson

I would add that if Carson Lambos were to fall to the Islanders pick, this would be very, very interesting. He has been inconsistent in his play sometimes and he's out for the year with injury, but his upside is simply tremendous -- I would say that he compares to a left-shooting version of Alex Pietrangelo at the same age.
I am 100% of the belief that Svechkov will be a top 15 pick and if he somehow falls later he might be the steal of the draft. Pastujov I have seen ranked in the 40s by a few and that blows my mind lol. Would be ecstatic with most of these kids.

Reactions: thethinglonger

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

I feel that if the Devils do not get one of the Big 3 D (Power, Hughes, Clarke), then they will feel pressure to use this pick on a defenseman, especially a RD. Corson Ceulemans would immediately become the favorite, and Scott Morrow would also be a possibility. There would even be a chance of a "surprise pick" of a Aleksi Heimosalmi or Jack Bar or Logan Mailloux.

Or, the Devils could forego shooting-hand and simply take the best available D, which could very well be LD Stanislav Svozil. I have talked at length about Svozil and how terrific a young defenseman he is -- he has really shined in tournament play and in the Czech men's league. I have Svozil ranked in the range of my top 10 -- higher than most -- but the people who love him really love him. His hockey IQ is probably neck-and-neck with Clarke for tops in the 2021 class, and he's a good-sized kid with terrific passing ability and literally zero weaknesses in his game.

If the Devils get one of the Big 3 D, then I'd say the chances certainly go up that NJ takes a F with the Islanders pick. I would add that -- after taking both Holtz and Mercer in the 2020 draft -- a RW would seem less likely than a LW or C (and also, the draft is thinnest at RW of the 3 F positions this year). Several very high-upside kids could be available, and I'll list a few at all 3 F positions (in no order) so you can familiarize yourself:

C
Fyodor Svechkov
Aatu Raty
Francesco Pinelli
Zachary Bolduc
Mackie Samoskevich

RW
Matthew Coronato
Logan Stankoven
Xavier Bourgault

LW
Sasha Pastujov
Zachary L'Heureux
Nikita Chibrikov
Brendan Othmann
Simon Robertsson
Isak Rosen
Oskar Olausson

I would add that if Carson Lambos were to fall to the Islanders pick, this would be very, very interesting. He has been inconsistent in his play sometimes and he's out for the year with injury, but his upside is simply tremendous -- I would say that he compares to a left-shooting version of Alex Pietrangelo at the same age.

Like to see Devils get either Wallstedt Clarke Hughes or Johnson with first and then Zachary L'Heureux with their second first guy is a talented agitator.....He's got a lot of grit looks like a Brad Marchand type.....

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
They had an unreal team. There was some other guys on their team that went pretty high in the OHL draft too. I believe they had a perfect record all season. Othmann and Wright played together on a line and put up insane numbers. Wright went 1st, Othmann 2nd and then Clarke 4th in the draft. Those 3 also combined for the OT winner in the finals of the OHL cup.

oh Pinelli is also in that video

Pinelli and Wright were the two youngest and two of the best in that whole tournament. Even better than the Marlies and Express the year before which were tough to beat. . Close but not by much. Eventhough marlies lost that year they were still the best team.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Pinelli and Wright were the two youngest and two of the best in that whole tournament. Even better than the Marlies and Express the year before which were tough to beat. . Close but not by much. Eventhough marlies lost that year they were still the best team.
Pinelli isn’t younger than the other players that were in the tournament. He’s an 03 and it was an 03 tournament. Wright was playing a year up tho.
You might be thinking of Fantilli who was on Pinelli’s team and was playing a year up as an 04. He’s a top prospect for 2023 because he has a late birthday as well.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It’s tough to say. But good chance we don’t make the playoffs and a lottery win would be nice.
There’s a good chance we don’t make it but we won’t have any chance at Wright unless we’re in the bottom 11 because of the new rules. Even then it’s unlikely we win the lottery unless we’re lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puckclektr

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

C
Fyodor Svechkov
Aatu Raty
Francesco Pinelli
Zachary Bolduc
Mackie Samoskevich

RW
Matthew Coronato
Logan Stankoven
Xavier Bourgault

LW
Sasha Pastujov
Zachary L'Heureux
Nikita Chibrikov
Brendan Othmann
Simon Robertsson
Isak Rosen
Oskar Olausson

out of the LW you listed what type of player what style do you think they fit in the most?

Going off of what ive read of yours and others would it be something like

Sasha Pastujov - Playmaker
Zachary L'Heureux -Pest/grinder
Nikita Chibrakov - Playmaker
Brendan Othmann - Shooter
Simon Robertsson - Two way
Isak Rosen - Playmaker
Oskar Olausson - Power forward

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
out of the LW you listed what type of player what style do you think they fit in the most?

Going off of what ive read of yours and others would it be something like

Sasha Pastujov - Playmaker
Zachary L'Heureux -Pest/grinder
Nikita Chibrakov - Playmaker
Brendan Othmann - Shooter
Simon Robertsson - Two way
Isak Rosen - Playmaker
Oskar Olausson - Power forward
Both Robertsson and Olausson are good shooters too. The other Swede in Rosen is a very skilled player and has shown a good shot at times too.

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Both Robertsson and Olausson are good shooters too. The other Swede in Rosen is a very skilled player and has shown a good shot at times too.

:thumbu:

Just trying to figure out what each of their main traits are. I Like Othmann the most right now cause Stevens said he was best "pure shooter" of the draft and after all these years of watching the devils practice sharing the puck and never actually shooting I'm a little biased :sarcasm:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
:thumbu:

Just trying to figure out what each of their main traits are. I Like Othmann the most right now cause Stevens said he was best "pure shooter" of the draft and after all these years of watching the devils practice sharing the puck and never actually shooting I'm a little biased :sarcasm:
Ya he’s a player of interest but I’m a bit more interested in the Swedes I mentioned as I think they bring more to the game but also have good shots as well.

I’m not sure Othmann has the best shot in the draft either. Has a good shot and he’s a shoot first guy but there’s some other players who might actually have better shots even if he’s the best “pure shooter”

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That's fair but a few people being down on a prospect doesn't make him a reach when selected at the consensus spot. Button had Virtanen very low in 2014 but he wasn't considered a reach when he went 6.

I really like Edvinsson myself, he has all the tools to be a very good top 4 defenseman. Doesn't have to be a #1 defenseman. It's not like there's a #1 forward available either, outside maybe Guenther.
If we are using the Islanders pick to draft a top 4 D ... this draft must really suck. I’d like to go Cossa if that’s all there is left (4d or bottom 6 forward)

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
If we are using the Islanders pick to draft a top 4 D ... this draft must really suck. I’d like to go Cossa if that’s all there is left (4d or bottom 6 forward)
You do realize you don't find guys better then "top 4" or "top 6" after like the first 10 picks right? It is all projections as is and there's been maybe 3 drafts since 2000 were you can look at the guys before hindsight and say player x and pick 26 has top pairing potential. That just doesn't happen and expecting such is setting yourself up to be disappointed. Hell the 2015 draft was considered deep and filled with a ton of high upside prospects and I would say there is only about 16 guys you could say had legitimate top 4/6 upside.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What. what do you expecting us to be drafting at the end of the first round. In pretty much every draft you aren’t getting guys expected to be top pairing d outside of the top 10. Every defencemen in this draft outside of Power, Clarke, Hughes, and Edvinsson projects as top 4 or worse defencemen and there’s a good chance 1 or 2 of those guys won’t be top pairing. Possible there will be another 1 or 2 outside of those 4 that will surpass their projection and be a top pairing dman. Ty smith wasn’t drafted at 18 with the expectation that he was going to be a top pairing defencemen. He has surpassed expectations and turned out as a great pick. I don’t think he’s a number 1 but getting a really good 2-3 defencemen at 18 is really good.

you clearly are majorly overrating what you can expect to get out of draft picks. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a post of yours doing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDuke93

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
After thinking about it , you guys are right. It’s not very often a late first and later turns into a top 6 forward or 1/2 D . It’s more rare than I first thought
When have I posted before this line of thought ?
I’m not saying this draft is the same but look at the draft Zacha was in. There are quite a few top 6/1-4 D in the first 1/3 rd of the round though

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
After thinking about it , you guys are right. It’s not very often a late first and later turns into a top 6 forward or 1/2 D . It’s more rare than I first thought
I’m not saying this draft is the same but look at the draft Zacha was in. There are quite a few top 6/1-4 D in the first 1/3 rd of the round though
And I specifically pointed that draft out as one of the deepest of the past 20 years.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I think it was you who posted a while ago. Something about what we should be getting in late round picks and I responded at the time saying that you wouldn’t get what you said in late rounds and it sounded more like what you should be looking for in the 2nd round.

A lot of people I find expect too much out of draft picks. Some people obviously underrate them but more tend to overrate them.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I think it was you who posted a while ago. Something about what we should be getting in late round picks and I responded at the time saying that you wouldn’t get what you said in late rounds and it sounded more like what you should be looking for in the 2nd round.

A lot of people I find expect too much out of draft picks. Some people obviously underrate them but more tend to overrate them.
Well its a balance because you can't build a winner without drafting well and drafting quality prospects. Now players can over and under achieve for sure but setting realistic expectations of prospects relative to their perceived potential is important. You don't set out to find a top 6LW in round 6 but if you do find one that draft is a home run. I think realistically pick 1-50 you can generally expect talent to be a NHL player. The degree of success they have varies wildly obviously. I think you can look at plenty of guys picked around 40 and say player X projects as a top 9 forward but has top 6 potentially if everything going right and they exceeding expectations when.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Pinelli isn’t younger than the other players that were in the tournament. He’s an 03 and it was an 03 tournament. Wright was playing a year up tho.
You might be thinking of Fantilli who was on Pinelli’s team and was playing a year up as an 04. He’s a top prospect for 2023 because he has a late birthday as well.
Youre right. It was Fantelli. That's who I was thinking of and his calibre at the time compared to other players in the past and where they were drafted, I thought he was a sure thing top 10 in this draft.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Youre right. It was Fantelli. That's who I was thinking of and his calibre at the time compared to other players in the past and where they were drafted, I thought he was a sure thing top 10 in this draft.
Ya well he’s not eligible until 2023. I have no clue how he’s been doing and it’s a long ways away but I gotta think he’s a top 5 guy for that draft right now if he’s still doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille