WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Byfield isn't getting cut, can't remember the last time team Canada cut a returning player.

What I am curious about is if the coaching staff might be rethinking his role on the team but one more inters quad game to go.
I would really throw him into the fire in the exhibition games against Sweden and Russia before the tournament. He can decide what kind of role he gets on this team, because it is pretty obvious there will be a lot of options if certain players aren't getting it done.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’ve had the same thoughts about Byfield too. Everyone is rusty at this point but he hasn’t done much to quiet the concerns. I’d still keep him on the team however. For someone with the pedigree/hype I’m not sure Drysdale has really popped either. And yes in this environment it’s tough to judge anyone. I just am not sure it’s to his best advantage to be paired with Byram but they seem pretty set with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
I wonder if Quinn looked good. He needs to do something to make this roster, IMO.

Well he is second among Team Red forwards in goals and in points.

Tourigny said "he played good tonight — more legs, more jump, less hesitation"
He also reiterated how well he knows Quinn and his game, which is one reason why I think the head coach is going to push for Quinn to be on this team

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Byfield isn't getting cut and shouldn't get cut. These practice games are mainly for chemistry and sorting out the bottom of the roster, plus there are many instances of players being camp stars and then tournament busts and vice versa. Canada easily has the option of keeping Byfield around, giving him a chance to be a difference maker n the early games and if he isn't coming on moving him down the lineup. I still see him being a very good contributor for this team though.

I'm still confused about why they are putting Drysdale and Byram together in all of these games. Generally better to spread your top defencemen and puck movers out a bit. There may be some logic with regard to roster selection but that is not a pairing I would have expected to see once the tournament starts.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is hard team to pick, so many players could move from their current positions. I don't think you will see Newhook, Byfield, Cozens and Mercer as the centers, I feel Mercer shifts to the wing in the top 9 if anyone looks competent enough to be 4th line center. Either that or Byfield is shifted to the wing. I fear the 4th line could still be picked out of the misfit lines from last night with two skill players are extras in case someone in the top 6 gets injured.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
There’s one thing that is driving me absolutely crazy on this thread and does every year when we talk about Team Canada.

Guys, there is no “top 6/bottom 6” on this team. This is not a salary capped NHL team in a 32 team league! Perhaps our fourth line will have a different complexion, but the others are all basically number one lines. People need to get out of that mindset when we are talking about how to use this lineup.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
There’s one thing that is driving me absolutely crazy on this thread and does every year when we talk about Team Canada.

Guys, there is no “top 6/bottom 6” on this team. This is not a salary capped NHL team in a 32 team league! Perhaps our fourth line will have a different complexion, but the others are all basically number one lines. People need to get out of that mindset when we are talking about how to use this lineup.
I disagree, there will be roles just as there is on any Team Canada at any level. Maybe Perfetti can play the 4th line role, I believe there are other players who can cycle a puck better therefore will make the team over him. Canada won't risk the bottom 2 lines changing momentum in a negative fashion due to an offensive zone penalty or turnover in the neutral zone.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I disagree, there will be roles just as there is on any Team Canada at any level. Maybe Perfetti can play the 4th line role, I believe there are other players who can cycle a puck better therefore will make the team over him. Canada won't risk the bottom 2 lines changing momentum in a negative fashion due to an offensive zone penalty or turnover in the neutral zone.
It’s exactly your dogmatic thinking on this subject that is giving you a hard time fitting in Perfetti. We can just throw him on the third line and have it be a scoring line and it WILL outscore a majority of lines in the tournament.

For the record I’m not saying there won’t be roles on Canada, I’m saying it won’t be 6 and 6.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
It’s exactly your dogmatic thinking on this subject that is giving you a hard time fitting in Perfetti. We can just throw him on the third line and have it be a scoring line and it WILL outscore a majority of lines in the tournament.

For the record I’m not saying there won’t be roles on Canada, I’m saying it won’t be 6 and 6.
I'd agree with this. And even if there is a "checking" line, it will probably end up looking like the Holloway-Newhook-Pelletier line they've been using lately, which can obviously provide offense too.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

It's possible, especially given the head coach. If you look at potential LW in the top 9 there may not be room for Perfetti. You could see Canada use McMichael, Byfield and Zary on the left side. I'm not saying it would be top 6 and bottom 6. It could be top 6 are offensive lines, 3rd line is a speed line where the 4th line plays heavy. I don't know and neither do you. What I can tell you is the coach will have roles up and down the lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Perfetti is pretty darn good down low and off the cycle. He had played a pretty darn responsible two-way game this camp where he has done most of the little things correct. He's also put up 3 points while doing it. O don't know about the coach and what he prefers but there should be room for a player of Perfetti's talents on the roster in a number if different roles.

You don't need to crash and bang to be an effective fore checker and responsible player.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Team white dominance! Their win streak continues.

Real happy to see Ryan Suzuki have a good game. I'm really hoping he makes the team.

Any idea who the goalies were yesterday, and their stats?

Hagstrom

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Team white dominance! Their win streak continues.

Real happy to see Ryan Suzuki have a good game. I'm really hoping he makes the team.

Any idea who the goalies were yesterday, and their stats?

That's really all the info I could find, but I have to imagine there were more shots at both teams' nets. Maybe those two goalies just made the most saves for each team?

Gauthier played one period, so maybe each goalie on White played one period and the goalies on Red played about half the game each?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One thing that we don't know, but the coaches have to be looking for, is who is shutting down opponents, and who is getting scored on? Finding the guys who stand out offensively is easy. Defense is a bit more nuanced. This team is going to be able to score, but you also have to ID the guys who can manage a PP and who you put out in the closing minutes of a close game when you are ahead.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wonder if Quinn looked good. He needs to do something to make this roster, IMO.
He has scored in every scrimmage. Was always a lock. Can do it all for your team in any role, the coach knows and trusts him. Was one of the best players on the ice in the last game. He was on a line with Byfield for a reason.
Well he is second among Team Red forwards in goals and in points.

Tourigny said "he played good tonight — more legs, more jump, less hesitation"
He also reiterated how well he knows Quinn and his game, which is one reason why I think the head coach is going to push for Quinn to be on this team
He doesn't need to push for him he doesn't need the help. Most people are unfamiliar with the player I understand but he is the real deal. Can play either wing in a shut down, pk, pp etc. Very versatile and goes to the middle of the ice.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Cuts
upload_2020-12-10_12-38-41.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad