WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No real surprises in the cuts. I didn't expect Wright to make it and based on the camp and where things left off last spring he deserved the cut. This does not preclude him from being in a very prominent position next year.

There’s one thing that is driving me absolutely crazy on this thread and does every year when we talk about Team Canada.

Guys, there is no “top 6/bottom 6” on this team. This is not a salary capped NHL team in a 32 team league! Perhaps our fourth line will have a different complexion, but the others are all basically number one lines. People need to get out of that mindset when we are talking about how to use this lineup.

You're right, the top six/bottom six idea stems from a lack of talent in a domestic league. When NHL teams carried only enough forwards for three lines you had two scoring lines and a more defensive line, and that makes sense. When rosters expanded there wasn't really enough talent and so a relatively crappy fourth line became common. Hockey Canada goes back and forth on this from time to time (even last year we saw it in ters of ice time) so it remains to be seen what happens but there is no reason to handicap the team. Top 9 with a defensive line, ideally one that can contribute offence, is the way to go.

4pv0lh.jpg

Really a shame they couldn't figure out a way to stream the scrims. But I understand the extra caution after having to quarantine for two weeks.

Big fan of these players but I don't think Perfetti, Jarvis or Krebs are having the strongest showings in this camp.

Excellent use of Robin.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
TSN is also probably one of the main reasons the tournament is actually as popular as it is in Canada.

The players make the tournament, TSN took advantage of that for their own benefit. Anybody can show a tournament with the best 18 and 19 year old hockey players in the world and people in Canada will watch when there is a Canadian team.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The players make the tournament, TSN took advantage of that for their own benefit. Anybody can show a tournament with the best 18 and 19 year old hockey players in the world and people in Canada will watch when there is a Canadian team.
Eh I mean at this point yes. The tournament sells itself. But to think TSN isn't a massive part of the success of this tournament is kinda crazy to me. They put the full brunt of their marketing machine behind this and covered it like a big deal when it honestly wasn't a big deal yet.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Eh I mean at this point yes. The tournament sells itself. But to think TSN isn't a massive part of the success of this tournament is kinda crazy to me. They put the full brunt of their marketing machine behind this and covered it like a big deal when it honestly wasn't a big deal yet.

Look at other sports, people are following young players. There was some kid in basketball that didn't go to college and committed to another league that was all over the news, there is the Manning kid that is getting a bunch of attention, Tiger Woods kid is in the news for playing golf, Alphonso Davies has been big news for awhile. Interest in young athletes has increase all around the sports world and would be happening in hockey regardless of TSN's involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille