WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Yeah, but almost all of these guys look dominant in junior. Playing against the best of the best is a different story. Tomasino looked ok to me, but I didn't see a guy that Team Canada had to have, either.
True but during the preview show Mckenzie went out of his way to remark upon his dominance during the preview show.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Yeah, but almost all of these guys look dominant in junior. Playing against the best of the best is a different story. Tomasino looked ok to me, but I didn't see a guy that Team Canada had to have, either.
Looked OK when? He was one of the best forwards in the scrimmages before the break and he and Zary did well with Dach. They should use that line and have Cozens and McMichael making other line stronger. And go back to Cozens - Dach - McMichael if things aren't going well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Are people starting to get worried about that Byfield line? Him and Krebs have both still not found the scoresheet nor did they look at all impressive in the first two games.

I like a lot of what else I have seen in camp but neither of those two have shown any semblance of being offensive contributors for the team as of yet.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Are people starting to get worried about that Byfield line? Him and Krebs have both still not found the scoresheet nor did they look at all impressive in the first two games.

I like a lot of what else I have seen in camp but neither of those two have shown any semblance of being offensive contributors for the team as of yet.
As I said before, I don't know what to make of Byfield. If he isn't going to make a positive difference, cut him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'm thinking that Holloway-Newhook-Pelletier could be a bottom 6 line in the tournament with Tourigny singling them out as a line that impressed.
Sounds like a great energy line, that can contribute offensively.

Reactions: Dack

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Byfield in general just continues to leave me wanting more. Obviously no idea how he did tonight but anytime I watch him he just never seems to go out of his way to impose himself on the game. If it doesn't find it's way to him he can tend to just kind of be out there...not accomplishing much.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As I said before, I don't know what to think of Byfield. If he isn't going to make a positive difference, cut him.

I have said this before but he has not really ever impressed me in any of the games I have seen him play.

Perhaps I am simply not seeing the right games but its a good 15 game sample now and I come away wanting more each time.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have said this before but he has not really ever impressed me in any of the games I have seen him play.

Perhaps I am simply not seeing the right games but its a good 15 game sample now and I come away wanting more each time.
Yup. We all seem to feel that way.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I find it really bizarre for a prospect of his caliber.

I see the size, the speed and the tools that you would think would allow him to dominate games but it just never happens atleast when I'm watching.
Therein lies the mystery. So much size, skill and potential, but he's invisible. He's not even physical and he's 6'4". Makes no sense.

But, again, if he's NOT going to make a difference, cut him. There's too much talent available to waste a forward/center position on someone who's not an asset.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

The only line/pairs that I think are set at this point are:

McMichael - Cozens - Dach

Byram - Drysdale

Everything else looks to be pretty much up in the air to me.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Byfield yet. Even if he has a slow start they can ease him into the tournament as a 3C and have Newhook, or Mercer at 2C.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I wouldn’t worry too much about Byfield yet. Even if he has a slow start they can ease him into the tournament as a 3C and have Newhook, or Mercer at 2C.
But what about the poor kids who get cut so the team can keep someone who didn't earn a spot? If there wasn't a ton of talent available, I'd say fine, but...

At this point, I'd rather find a way to keep Shane Wright.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
But what about the poor kids who get cut so the team can keep someone who didn't earn a spot? If there wasn't a ton of talent available, I'd say fine, but...

At this point, I'd rather find a way to keep Shane Wright.

I only watched one of the scrimmages, so I can’t really comment to how well Byfield has played overall.

It seems a bit early to be writing off a player with his talent though

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Byfield isn't getting cut, can't remember the last time team Canada cut a returning player.

What I am curious about is if the coaching staff might be rethinking his role on the team but one more inters quad game to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad