WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ah right! 8 D men, its funny how we had the exact same team our posts were 2 minutes apart. Whats your best guess at lines and pairings?

Harder to predict but I like that Big Line they put together. Having a line that can dominate or be the best line on the ice at any time is nice to have.
I haven't seen Newhook for a while.. but just based on what I think , I would want him as my 2nd line C based on what they had together yesterday.. I would switch Newhook and Mercer. So Perfetti Newhook Tomasino.. as a 2nd line. I think they could do some damage. I 'd want another high end scoring line.
Pelletier Mercer Holloway could be a pain in the ass to play against and a good shut down kind of line that can pitch in
Quinn Byfield Krebs should be a good line.. I hope Byfield can find his game and really help that line .. but Krebs and Quinn can carry it. I think Zary could do well there as well if need be.

Wishywashy20

Nov 23, 2020
Forwards Gone Simoneau (UTP), Greig (UTP), Beckman, Foerster, Lapierre, Schwindt, Wright

Assuming we keep 14 forwards we need to cut 5; My guesses. The last couple cuts are hard/close .. Clarke could be on the cut list over one of the other guys as well but he looked better to me in the 2 games I saw earlier. But they are 13/14 forwards so I think who they see as the most versatile will make it and if it comes to one vs the other and one has another year to play WJC that could factor in one way or another. Leaving Jarvis off 13OA in 2020 may be a mistake so I could be talked into him over Clarke.

EDIT : oops I missed Pelletier the 1st time we need to cut 6 so Clarke is gone

Yeah I think that nails it
Hate to see Poulin and Jarvis go.
Byfield does nothing for me. Do not see him on on first two lines and better options for playing down the line up.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
is he that good? should he be mentioned with those names? not hating, genuinely curious. I wonder if Dach, Cozens, Krebs etc. werent available in a regular year if he makes the squad.

separate general question to everyone, i have a vague memory that if you win gold, silver, or bronze you were only allowed a certain amount of returners? Am i misremembering? did they change that?
Regarding your second question... no such rule exists or has ever existed. I think you might have made that up in a dream one night. :laugh:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
is he that good? should he be mentioned with those names? not hating, genuinely curious. I wonder if Dach, Cozens, Krebs etc. werent available in a regular year if he makes the squad.

separate general question to everyone, i have a vague memory that if you win gold, silver, or bronze you were only allowed a certain amount of returners? Am i misremembering? did they change that?
Don't think there has ever been any kind of cap on returning players.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah I think that nails it
Hate to see Poulin and Jarvis go.
Byfield does nothing for me. Do not see him on on first two lines and better options for playing down the line up.
Don't know what it is with Byfield but ... maybe I am totally off base and it sounds pretty basic but I would be telling him to keep two hands on stick. He seems to try to fish the puck with one hand vs getting that big body in there and using his power and strength.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
While I think any other year Clarke probably is among the first cuts but this year the head coach is his OHL head coach. Tourigny knows what Clarke is capable of and what situations he could strive in. I think, for that reason, he is the 14th forward.

Reactions: HBK27

Wishywashy20

Nov 23, 2020
While I think any other year Clarke probably is among the first cuts but this year the head coach is his OHL head coach. Tourigny knows what Clarke is capable of and what situations he could strive in. I think, for that reason, he is the 14th forward.

well that does give him a leg up.
I don’t know enough about Clarke as a keeper but those additional forward picks could prove useful so the more versatility in roles the better,

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I’ve had the same thoughts about Byfield too. Everyone is rusty at this point but he hasn’t done much to quiet the concerns. I’d still keep him on the team however. For someone with the pedigree/hype I’m not sure Drysdale has really popped either. And yes in this environment it’s tough to judge anyone. I just am not sure it’s to his best advantage to be paired with Byram but they seem pretty set with it.
I thought Drysdale was easily the 2nd best defensemen in both scrimmage games that were streamed.

Reactions: bert and 57special

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So annoying that this isn't streamed. I get the whole bubble thing but we don't need announcers and everyone here knows they are for sure recording the game.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think Clarke is ok..and has played pretty well .. who do you take out for him ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Neither Clarke nor Jarvis have made much of a case for themselves, compared to players like Rees

I have the RD as ;
Drysdale
Schneider
Korczak
Barron

Nice mix of offense and defense, size, strength, and skill.

LD;
Byram
Guhle
Harley
ROR

Again, nice mix. ROR would be the last pick, and likely not see much TOI, but he is solid, and I have faith in his IQ and ability to make the right play on ice.

Reactions: Dack

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
4pv0lh.jpg

Really a shame they couldn't figure out a way to stream the scrims. But I understand the extra caution after having to quarantine for two weeks.

Big fan of these players but I don't think Perfetti, Jarvis or Krebs are having the strongest showings in this camp.

Reactions: ORRFForever

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Perfetti has been quite a bit more dominant than Jarvis
Ok right on.

They play different wings so aren't really i competition with each other. Perfetti has been more impressive in the games I've seen and has a 3 to 1 point advantage on Jarvis.
Thanks for the info, lots of players can play both wings so id absolutely say they are in competition with one another. Along with any player that is going to play on a scoring line.

As someone who has seen a ton of the 67's play over the last 3 years id be dissapointed and shocked if he made the team there are way better options.

Ah yes, I'd have Pelletier slotted in at 11 and bump out Zary. And I think Jarvis' zone entries, PK, skating, and other less flashy abilities are all ahead of Quinn and Zary. Apart from size and possibly goal scoring (which Canada already has ample of both) I don't see both or either of them as better options unless they develop chemistry with a specific line.
Quinn plays first PK and in a matchup role on the 67's, where he was one of the best in the OHL. I dont think I can agree with that, he is also bigger and more physical. Far more equiped to play in a checking role. He had the most goals of any player in camp last year, discounting that ability is kinda strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Too bad we are stuck with TSN and Hockey Canada. 2 completely incompetent organizations.
TSN was streaming all games from the tournament and ALL games from the PRE-TOURNAMENT and all the USports games as well as all Red/White games up until now (with announcers and a better stream this year).

Just WTF are you talking about?! :loony:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
At this point I'm fairly confident in saying

Forward locks/very likely to make it.
Byfield
Dach
McMichael
Mercer
Tomasino
Krebs
Cousins
Holloway
Newhook
Pelletier
Perfetti
Rees?

6 of these 9 players will have to be cut
Rees?
Quinn
Zary
Suzuki
Poulin
Jarvis
Clarke
Bourque
Goncalves

Despite Rees playing well I'm not sure if he's a lock or not at this point.

Reactions: TheGreekShot

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
TSN was streaming all games from the tournament and ALL games from the PRE-TOURNAMENT and all the USports games as well as all Red/White games up until now (with announcers and a better stream this year).

TSN is also probably one of the main reasons the tournament is actually as popular as it is in Canada.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Neither Clarke nor Jarvis have made much of a case for themselves, compared to players like Rees

I have the RD as ;
Drysdale
Schneider
Korczak
Barron

Nice mix of offense and defense, size, strength, and skill.

LD;
Byram
Guhle
Harley
ROR

Again, nice mix. ROR would be the last pick, and likely not see much TOI, but he is solid, and I have faith in his IQ and ability to make the right play on ice.
I really think Sebrango is going to make the roster.

Just remember where you heard it first.
:teach2:

He was easily the best goalie in the games we were able to see. Don't emeber any of the others being very good.
Brochu was good from what I saw

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Some people just like to say everything and everyone is incompetent. Makes them feel smarter.

Reactions: AUAIOMRN and Statsy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille