WJC: 2021 Canada Roster Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Masters said that Newhook didn't skate this morning, which is a good sign. If he's good to go that should help in sustaining offence.

Reactions: Wishywashy20

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Go Canada go! Staying up late to support the boys from Cheshire, England

Attachments

• 272E4E00-8205-4018-8861-AF32ED4A5835.jpeg
    272E4E00-8205-4018-8861-AF32ED4A5835.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: arun and snipes

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pelletier McMichael Cozens
Quinn Newhook Krebs
Hollaway Byfield Perfetti
Zary Suzuki Mercer Tomasino

Not crazy about the Byfield line.
Id rather see Tomasino or Zary with Newhook and Krebs

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
A few thoughts to nitpick on given Canada is crushing russia.

1. Gord and Ray: it’s ok if drysdale isn’t the fastest guy in the ice - you don’t need to tell us he’s tired every time it looks like he might get beat. Especially when he stays out for another rush up ice and then back to his own zone.

2. Did Ferraro lose in the finals one year b/c his goalie dropped his stick? He seems to take it extremely personally that Askarov loses his stick.

3. Is it weird I’m still not sure what Byfield is good at at this level?
He doesn’t seem to be much of a possession/pick protector guy, he doesn’t be able stickhandle himself out of trouble or into good spots, he doesn’t seem to process the game at a high level - pucks seem to die on his stick or get turned over, he can’t seem to use his speed to do anything especially useful.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Though this team can be a little inconsistent in their effort every now and then, which will keep them from surpassing the ‘05 team’s legacy, in my mind this group has clearly claimed the title of “2nd best Canadian WJC team” of all-time.

Goaltending, defense, scoring depth... they seem to have it all.

Wishywashy20

Nov 23, 2020
A few thoughts to nitpick on given Canada is crushing russia.

1. Gord and Ray: it’s ok if drysdale isn’t the fastest guy in the ice - you don’t need to tell us he’s tired every time it looks like he might get beat. Especially when he stays out for another rush up ice and then back to his own zone.

2. Did Ferraro lose in the finals one year b/c his goalie dropped his stick? He seems to take it extremely personally that Askarov loses his stick.

3. Is it weird I’m still not sure what Byfield is good at at this level?
He doesn’t seem to be much of a possession/pick protector guy, he doesn’t be able stickhandle himself out of trouble or into good spots, he doesn’t seem to process the game at a high level - pucks seem to die on his stick or get turned over, he can’t seem to use his speed to do anything especially useful.

point number 3 can wait until this tourney is over.
For now I can see that he is doing everything that he can to contribute and that is about all you can ask.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Though this team can be a little inconsistent in their effort every now and then, which will keep them from surpassing the ‘05 team’s legacy, in my mind this group has clearly claimed the title of “2nd best Canadian WJC team” of all-time.

Goaltending, defense, scoring depth... they seem to have it all.
The '05 had a similar so so performance against the Czechs in the Semis that year beating them 3-1 and funnily enough gave up 3 goals to the Slovaks. The thing that '05 team had was the ability to crank it into 5th gear when they came up against the big teams. So far that is what this team is showing as well...with the biggest one to come. Though to me what tips it is I just think the overall talent at the '05 tournament was at a different level....I don't think it is a stretch to say Canada isn't coming up against a team with Ovi and Malkin on it.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Watched him give it away 3 times in the dzone in the 3rd period tonight
Quinn played well tonight. Him Newhook Krebs were a good line, they all think and play a similar way.

Byfield and Holloway were a physical mismatch. Add in Zary for the physical shifts and Perfetti for some
More offence. They need to keep the lines as is tomorrow night.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Quinn played well tonight.

Yeah, I saw one good play involving Quinn all night and it was when he was ragging the puck late with the 4 on 4.

Sorry.

It was a good line because Krebs and Newhook are probably Canada's best 5 on 5 players after Cozens. Maybe Pelletier is in there too.

It's ok, Roby Jarventie is Ottawa's Finnish prospect and he didn't have a great tournament either.

It happens.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Yeah, I saw one good play involving Quinn all night and it was when he was ragging the puck late with the 4 on 4.

Sorry.

It's ok, Roby Jarventie is Ottawa's Finnish prospect and he didn't have a great tournament either.

It happens.

He seemed good defensively but other than that it was a very meh-poor game again IMO. He's very uninvolved in the offense.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Quinn played well tonight. Him Newhook Krebs were a good line, they all think and play a similar way.

Byfield and Holloway were a physical mismatch. Add in Zary for the physical shifts and Perfetti for some
More offence. They need to keep the lines as is tomorrow night.

Everybody sees something different. I agree with everything but your take on Quinn's game.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The '05 had a similar so so performance against the Czechs in the Semis that year beating them 3-1 and funnily enough gave up 3 goals to the Slovaks. The thing that '05 team had was the ability to crank it into 5th gear when they came up against the big teams. So far that is what this team is showing as well...with the biggest one to come. Though to me what tips it is I just think the overall talent at the '05 tournament was at a different level....I don't think it is a stretch to say Canada isn't coming up against a team with Ovi and Malkin on it.
That’s interesting. I didn’t remember the so-so Czech game. I do remember giving up three to Slovakia, but it was still a solid thrashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad