2021-22 Manitoba Bisons/CW Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Back in 2019 there was a report about the Molson family donating $1 million to UQAM to get a hockey team going. I did a follow-up search and found a story about them getting ready for as early as 2022. One problem is finding a league. The OUA does not want them. They have some hopes of re-forming a Quebec league and are also talking to the AUS

As an AUS fan I would love for this to happen!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
As an AUS fan I would love for this to happen!
If so, would Quebec's berth in the U-Cup go to the AUS every 4th season?

I believe that the RSEQ has gone far too long without a hockey league. Ottawa and Carleton play in the women's league. Right there you'd have a 6-team league. And there remains the fact that Bishop's and Montreal have only women's teams right now.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Quebec-based hockey teams in the RESQ could do an interlock schedule with the AUS as happens with men's volleyball now.
I thought about that several years ago. Quebec and Atlantic are together in Major Junior hockey as well.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
So, the OUA wants to downsize? This is crazy. We need more teams on more campuses. The provincial bodies in BC and now Quebec are seemingly doing their part. Time for Hockey Canada to wield some influence.

1) The OUA does have too many teams ... the league is diluted. Do the math:
OHL - 20 Teams ... OUA - 16 teams (excl RSEQ)
WHL - 22 teams ... CW - 9 teams (excl Leth)
QMJHL - 18 teams ... RSEQ + AUS - 3 + 7 = 10

There is nearly a 1:1 ratio for OHL to OUA teams, versus a 2:1 ration for the other conferences.

Remember, the OUA has an obligation to accept OUA members, but not to accept RSEQ members.

2) I vehemently disagree that we need more teams. It dilutes the quality of play, weakens rivalries, and brings in questionable athletics departments (hello (and goodbye), Lethbridge, Laurentian, TWU).

3) Hockey Canada has next to ZERO interest in CIS hockey, and for good reason.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The Quebec-based hockey teams in the RESQ could do an interlock schedule with the AUS as happens with men's volleyball now.

1) None of the Quebec hockey teams are remotely close to the AUS teams. You're looking at adding major travel expenses to these programs, with virtually zero additional revenue to compensate (unless the AUS wants to foot the bill).

2) It's a LOT easier and less expensive to fly a volleyball team from Montreal to Halifax than to fly a hockey team.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
1) The OUA does have too many teams ... the league is diluted. Do the math:
OHL - 20 Teams ... OUA - 16 teams (excl RSEQ)
WHL - 22 teams ... CW - 9 teams (excl Leth)
QMJHL - 18 teams ... RSEQ + AUS - 3 + 7 = 10

There is nearly a 1:1 ratio for OHL to OUA teams, versus a 2:1 ration for the other conferences.

Remember, the OUA has an obligation to accept OUA members, but not to accept RSEQ members.

2) I vehemently disagree that we need more teams. It dilutes the quality of play, weakens rivalries, and brings in questionable athletics departments (hello (and goodbye), Lethbridge, Laurentian, TWU).

3) Hockey Canada has next to ZERO interest in CIS hockey, and for good reason.

On the other hand, I have commended Ontario for its number of university programs. I do not believe that titles are the only concern of university sport programs. If they just make the playoffs every other year they might well be happy with that.

While many should maybe not be competing in the first tier, the lack of an ACAC-equivalent league is a black eye for the province. The OCAA used to have a league. IMO Hockey Canada should follow Hockey BC's lead and show more interest. This is one areaof hockey which used to be much bigger. An entire segment of society is not being exposedtothe game at this level.

1) None of the Quebec hockey teams are remotely close to the AUS teams. You're looking at adding major travel expenses to these programs, with virtually zero additional revenue to compensate (unless the AUS wants to foot the bill).

2) It's a LOT easier and less expensive to fly a volleyball team from Montreal to Halifax than to fly a hockey team.

I appreciate the cost issue. The AUS teams do a lot of travel now, for exhibition games in non-covid years. While a volleyball team is half the size of a hockey team, a hockey team is half the size of a football team and the AUS and Q played a football interlock which the Q shelved due to competitive discrepancies. They will decide if it is worth it. My guess is the new program at UQAM would need a temporary home until a new RSEQ league is formed.

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
On the other hand, I have commended Ontario for its number of university programs. I do not believe that titles are the only concern of university sport programs. If they just make the playoffs every other year they might well be happy with that.

While many should maybe not be competing in the first tier, the lack of an ACAC-equivalent league is a black eye for the province. The OCAA used to have a league. IMO Hockey Canada should follow Hockey BC's lead and show more interest. This is one areaof hockey which used to be much bigger. An entire segment of society is not being exposedtothe game at this level.

Your comparison is wrong when looking at the ACAC vs. OCAA, which skews your perspective.

The ACAC has long had BOTH universities and colleges in it (MacEwen, MRU, Augustana, Concordia are undergraduate degree-granting). The OCAA does not ... so the OUA already has three ACAC-calibre colleges in their hockey league (Nipissing, Ontario Tech, arguably Lakehead and Ryerson). Moreover, Alberta has only 2 good universities (Calgary, Alberta) for a population of 5 million, versus Ontario having > 6 (Waterloo, WLU, Guelph, Western, Toronto, Queens, Ottawa, Carleton, RMC) for a population of 15 million. So, there are far fewer options for student-athletes in Alberta, which elevates the ACAC beyond where the OCAA could ever dream.

Adding college teams to the OUA would make things even worse. Nipissing and Laurentian have been doormats since they (re-)entered the league, and Ontario Tech is only boosted by being a last-chance college along the lines of SAIT or NAIT. The novelty has worn off Lakehead, too, it seems.

I appreciate the cost issue. The AUS teams do a lot of travel now, for exhibition games in non-covid years. While a volleyball team is half the size of a hockey team, a hockey team is half the size of a football team and the AUS and Q played a football interlock which the Q shelved due to competitive discrepancies. They will decide if it is worth it. My guess is the new program at UQAM would need a temporary home until a new RSEQ league is formed.

One thing that's flown under the radar (due to COVID) is that the OUA had already changed the schedule to reduce travel costs. So, the Far East and Far West teams now meet each other every 2nd year instead of every year, with more local games (i.e., RMC vs Queens 5 times in 2019-20). That matters because it tells you what the universities think about travel costs vs. facing more competition. The effects COVID will only accelerate their desire to cut costs. I just don't see Concordia or McGill supporting an interlocking schedule that involves 12+ hour bus rides when they've got good competition within a 3 hour ride.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 1st: Lots of Action Out West

Mount-Royal-2017-50x50.jpg
Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 1

Links:

➤ MRU: Schedule & Results
➤ UofC: Schedule & Results
➤ Live video: CanadaWest.tv

Wilma!

The Dinos now have a 4-game losing streak. Mr. Slate won’t be happy in the Town of Bedrock. The disappointment will be tempered somewhat with the fact that the losses were to their top 3 conference opponents from 2019-20 (Sask, Alberta, now MRU). The Bluegars are now 3-1-1.

Saturday’s game starts at 7:00 MT, 8:00 CT and the streaming video is at the link above.

Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 7

Links:
➤ Summaries: LeagueStat : CW
➤ UofA: Schedule & Results
➤ MacU: Schedule & Results

There are a few statistical twists to this game. In the first period, the shots were 10-10, and the Evil Monkeys led 2-0. In the second period, the shots were 14-5 for the Evil Monkeys, and they outscored Mac 5-1. There was no scoring in the third, although that was where the shots went crazy, 19-7 in favour of Alberta.

Now, without seeing the game it is hard to picture 5 goals on 14 shots on a solid goaltender. James Porter took the loss for the Mutants, with 17 saves on 24 shots through two periods. Thomas Davis stepped in and made 19 third period saves. Taz Burman played the first half and stopped 11 of 12 for the win, while Matt Berlin stopped 10 out of 10 in relief. The Apes are now 6-1-0 and MacEwan falls to 1-2-0. Saturday’s rematch shifts to MacEwan. Live stats updates are not yet confirmed.

Briercrest-B-50x50.jpg
Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg

BRIERCREST CLIPPERS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5

Links:
➤ UofS: Schedule & Results
➤ Twitter: Team Account

In the Twitter feed, it was described as “Team White” vs. “Team Black” and was described as a “split game”. So whether this is a valid win is questionable at this stage. Looking at the logos, maybe this was a BS game.

Vancouver-Island-white-50x50.jpg
UBC-wo-birds-50x50.jpg

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 1
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 4

Links:
➤ UBC: Schedule & Results

This was part of the Captain’s Cup, where UBC is now 3-0-0 (their entire pre-season record), and are now guaranteed a berth in next weekend’s championship game. The Mariners fall to 0-3-0 in the tournament, and 3-3-0 overall.

UBC outshot VIU 11-3 in the first period, and had a 3-0 lead. After that each team scored once on 21 shots. Michael Clark scored twice for T-irds, and Dorrin Luding picked up the win in goal. Saturday’s game against UVic will have live stats, but no video announced at this moment.

Victoria-2012-50x50.jpg
Simon-Fraser-SFU-white-50x50.jpg

VICTORIA VIKINGS 1
SIMON FRASER CLAN 5

Links:
➤ Summaries: BCIHL
➤ SFU: SFU vs VIC, VIU Preview: Oct. 1st + 2nd, 2021

This result lifts SFU to 1-1-0, and drops UVic to 1-2-0. UVic could still make the final if there occurs a series of improbable upsets, as follows:
- UVic defeats UBC on Saturday;
- VIU defeats SFU on Saturday;
- SFU beats TWU next weekend;
- UVic wins the 3-way tie-breaker between themselves, TWU, and SFU.

On the other hand, The Clown are in a good position. They need to win Saturday against VIU to set up a winner-take-all battle with TWU for second place and a trip to the final against UBC.

OUT EAST

OUA-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ONTARIO

no games

AUS-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

Sept 30 Acadia 1 Dalhousie 0
Oct 1 UPEI 1 Moncton 4
Oct 2 Saint Mary's v St. FX (at Truro)
Oct 2 Moncton at New Brunswick

Links:

USp Presto S&R
OUA LS Daily
AUS S&R

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Your comparison is wrong when looking at the ACAC vs. OCAA, which skews your perspective.

The ACAC has long had BOTH universities and colleges in it (MacEwen, MRU, Augustana, Concordia are undergraduate degree-granting). The OCAA does not ... so the OUA already has three ACAC-calibre colleges in their hockey league (Nipissing, Ontario Tech, arguably Lakehead and Ryerson). Moreover, Alberta has only 2 good universities (Calgary, Alberta) for a population of 5 million, versus Ontario having > 6 (Waterloo, WLU, Guelph, Western, Toronto, Queens, Ottawa, Carleton, RMC) for a population of 15 million. So, there are far fewer options for student-athletes in Alberta, which elevates the ACAC beyond where the OCAA could ever dream.

Adding college teams to the OUA would make things even worse. Nipissing and Laurentian have been doormats since they (re-)entered the league, and Ontario Tech is only boosted by being a last-chance college along the lines of SAIT or NAIT. The novelty has worn off Lakehead, too, it seems.

I do not suggest adding college teams to the OUA. I would suggest adding college teams to the OCAA, and possibly transferring some current OUA teams to the OCAA. I do note that Toronto, Lakehead, and Laurier all have campuses in the OCAA, like Augustana in the ACAC. In hockey, several USports operations have a campus in the OCAA's rec leagues.

One thing that's flown under the radar (due to COVID) is that the OUA had already changed the schedule to reduce travel costs. So, the Far East and Far West teams now meet each other every 2nd year instead of every year, with more local games (i.e., RMC vs Queens 5 times in 2019-20). That matters because it tells you what the universities think about travel costs vs. facing more competition. The effects COVID will only accelerate their desire to cut costs. I just don't see Concordia or McGill supporting an interlocking schedule that involves 12+ hour bus rides when they've got good competition within a 3 hour ride.

Maybe everybody's economics would improve if Ottawa and Carleton joined the soon-to-be four Quebec teams, like they do in women's hockey.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS
If UMAQ were to join the AUS, I would think that they would need to travel to the Maritimes, every second weekend?? It's an 8 hour drive from Montreal-Freddy Beach, 12 hours from Montreal-Halifax and 13 hour to Wolfville (Acadia).
On the other hand, AUS teams would only have to travel to Montreal, once during the regular season, which I'm sure that they can handle.
An interlocking schedule with the Quebec schools would be interesting....

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I do not suggest adding college teams to the OUA. I would suggest adding college teams to the OCAA, and possibly transferring some current OUA teams to the OCAA. I do note that Toronto, Lakehead, and Laurier all have campuses in the OCAA, like Augustana in the ACAC. In hockey, several USports operations have a campus in the OCAA's rec leagues.

Maybe everybody's economics would improve if Ottawa and Carleton joined the soon-to-be four Quebec teams, like they do in women's hockey.

There is little to no interest among OCAA schools for expanding their athletics programs. Colleges are inherently low-income organizations, with small tuition tight budgets, and next to no endowments. That's not going to happen.

I agree that it would make a ton of sense for Ottawa and Carleton to join the Quebec teams in a new 6-team RSEQ hockey loop. I don't think the rest of the OUA hockey programs would oppose that, given how dominant the Far East teams have been. I'd even go a step further and suggest that Queen's and RMC should join that league ... imagine two 4-team divisions (Ottawa, Carleton, RMC, Queens ... UQTR, UQAM, McGill, Concordia) but that would be an extremely unlikely scenario for Queens and RMC.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
AUS
If UMAQ were to join the AUS, I would think that they would need to travel to the Maritimes, every second weekend?? It's an 8 hour drive from Montreal-Freddy Beach, 12 hours from Montreal-Halifax and 13 hour to Wolfville (Acadia).
On the other hand, AUS teams would only have to travel to Montreal, once during the regular season, which I'm sure that they can handle.
An interlocking schedule with the Quebec schools would be interesting....

Remember when McGill got stuck in Quebec City for a couple of days on the way to the University Cup?

The drive from Montreal to Fredericton in winter is often horrific. It's 8 hours on paper only.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 2nd: Weekend Wrap-Up

Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 4
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

Links:

➤ MRU: Schedule & Results
➤ Live video: CanadaWest.tv

I saw most of this game on CanadaWest.tv. It was a good watch, however their scoreboard did not have the scores or game time on it. The shots on goal were also not kept. Brodan Salmond got the win in goal, and Riley Morris took the loss. Josh Tarzwell was the only player to get two goals. Calgary is now 3-4-0 and MRU is 3-2-1 in the pre-season. MRU is off until the regular season on October 15th, whilst the Dinos play MacEwan next weekend.

Alberta-50px.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5
MACEWAN GRIFFINS 2

Links:

The Evil Monkeys came out with a flurry before coasting to a win. The Mythical Mutants hung in at 0-0 after the 1st period, despite being outshot 14-6. However, the Apes built a 3-0 lead in the 2nd period with a 19-10 lead in shots. Mac did rally in the 3rd, with a 13-8 edge in shots, and pulled within 4-2. An empty-netter then salted it away for the Monkeys. Quite a chippy game. Alberta 3-for-8 on the PP, Mac was 1-for-5. There were three 10-minute misconducts and a total of 68 PIMs. Alberta is now 7-1-0 in the preseason, and finishes next weekend hosting Sask. Mac is now 1-3-0 and finishes with a Calgary series next weekend.

Briercrest-B-50x50.jpg
Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg

BRIERCREST CLIPPERS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4
(in a shoot-out)

Links:
➤ Twitter: Team Account

This appears to have been an intersquad game, like on Friday.

Victoria-2012-50x50.jpg
UBC-wo-birds-50x50.jpg

VICTORIA VIKINGS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 5

Links:

This was a nice comfy win for the T-irds. They have quite a rivalry with UVic in other sports. However, these teams have not played since 1973 in hockey. UVic played just four seasons in the WCIAA/CW, and had three winless seasons. Their best season was 3-17-0 in 1970-71. So by inference their record against UBC must have been poor. UBC held UVic shotless in the 1st period, and outshot them 31-10 overall. Both sides have now finished the Captain's Cup round-robin, UBC going 4-0-0 and UVic going 1-3-0. UBC will host the final on October 9th.

Vancouver-Island-white-50x50.jpg

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 5
SIMON FRASER CLAN 1

Links:
➤ Summaries: BCIHL
➤ SFU: Team Web Site

VIU needed this win to avoid being skunked in the Captain's Cup. They are finished at 1-3-0 and SFU is still alive at 1-2-0. If SFU can beat TWU in regulation time on October 8th, they could still qualify for the tournament final.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO

no games

ATLANTIC

Oct 2 Saint Mary's 6 St. FX 4
Oct 2 Moncton at New Brunswick - cancelled

Links:

USports Presto S&R
OUA LS Daily
AUS S&R

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There is little to no interest among OCAA schools for expanding their athletics programs. Colleges are inherently low-income organizations, with small tuition tight budgets, and next to no endowments. That's not going to happen.

I agree that it would make a ton of sense for Ottawa and Carleton to join the Quebec teams in a new 6-team RSEQ hockey loop. I don't think the rest of the OUA hockey programs would oppose that, given how dominant the Far East teams have been. I'd even go a step further and suggest that Queen's and RMC should join that league ... imagine two 4-team divisions (Ottawa, Carleton, RMC, Queens ... UQTR, UQAM, McGill, Concordia) but that would be an extremely unlikely scenario for Queens and RMC.
Once the various conferences in Ontario and Quebec were realigned on provincial lines, RMC was in the QUAA.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Once the various conferences in Ontario and Quebec were realigned on provincial lines, RMC was in the QUAA.
Do the Quebec teams really want to travel 8+ hours to get shelled by AUS teams ?
I kid...
In all honesty, pretending money isn’t an issue, I’d trade a few nights of Dal and Upei for UQTR , McGill and Concordia .
Although in my true dream world, where every team has an unlimited budget (queue up your best UNB joke) and classes and exams don’t exist , strictly hockey wise , I’d love to see a CIS Champions/Super league . I saw it mentioned way back and it’s obviously just a pipe dream, but I bet the hockey would be insane lol.
Sorry to go kind of off topic

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Do the Quebec teams really want to travel 8+ hours to get shelled by AUS teams ?
I kid...
In all honesty, pretending money isn’t an issue, I’d trade a few nights of Dal and Upei for UQTR , McGill and Concordia .
Although in my true dream world, where every team has an unlimited budget (queue up your best UNB joke) and classes and exams don’t exist , strictly hockey wise , I’d love to see a CIS Champions/Super league . I saw it mentioned way back and it’s obviously just a pipe dream, but I bet the hockey would be insane lol.
Sorry to go kind of off topic

While a Super League could never exist I would like to see U Sports Hockey have out of conference games like NCAA does. Just four games a year. Two road games and two home games.

Reactions: dm8895

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
While a Super League could never exist I would like to see U Sports Hockey have out of conference games like NCAA does. Just four games a year. Two road games and two home games.
There are no rules against this. It just makes no economic sense. Lakehead used to have a 4-team tournament at Christmas but they can do better financially with just one opponent brought in.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Preview: October 8-9: Regina at Manitoba

Regina-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-brown-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS (0-0-0, 2-1-0, OHT35 #n/a)
MANITOBA BISONS (0-0-0, 0-2-0, OHT35 #n/a)

Friday, October 8th at 7:00 CT at Seven Oaks Arena, Winnipeg
Saturday, October 9th at 2:00 CT at Wayne Fleming Arena, Winnipeg

Live Links:
➤ Video/Audio: none
➤ Friday: Live StatsHockey Tech
➤ Saturday: Live StatsHockey Tech

Manitoba Links:
➤ GoBisons: Schedule & Results
➤ CW: StatsSchedule/Results/LinksRoster
➤ LeagueStat: StatsSchedule/Results/Links

Regina Links:
➤ UofR: Team Site
➤ CW: StatsSchedule/Results/LinksRoster

Other Links:
➤ USports: Schedule/LinksStandings
➤ CW: Home PageSchedule
➤ LeagueStat: Media Stats

But for the Bluegars, all CW teams are in action this weekend as the exhibition season wraps (except for the Sask Huskies, who have the bye in round 1 of the regular season).

The Bisons have had a sparse pre-season schedule. Their trip to North Dakota was cancelled last weekend. They opened with a 7-1 loss to the Banjo-Cats, now have a chance at revenge. That big win for Regina followed a win over Briercrest (big whoop-dee-doo) and a 12-1 loss to the Banjo-Mutts. All-in-all, it is hard to gauge them.

As of this post, the official Bison roster page has not been updated. I suspect that the CW training camp 30-man roster (linked) will have been pared down to maybe 3 goaltenders and 24 or 25 skaters.

The Banjo-Cats have their training camp roster up at the CW site (also linked). Here's the summary:

Returnees (17)

Forwards (12)
9 Conner Chaulk - 17 Turner Ripplinger - 20 Ben Duperreault
15 Tanner Nagel - 14 Tate Coughlin - 32 Ty Barnstable
11 Connor Odelein - 19 Bryce Platt - 12 Scott Mickoski
29 Tanner Campbell - 21 Tyler Kreklewich - 18 Tyler Adams

Defence (3)
27 Brennan Riddle - 10 Michael Eskra - 2 James Hilsendager

Goaltenders (2)
30 Brandon Holtby - 35 Curtis Meger

New (13)
1 Donovan Buskey - G - Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL)/Regina Pats (WHL)
3 Dylan McCabe - D - Battlefords North Stars (SJHL)
4 Christian Reimer - D - Steinbach Pistons (MJHL)
5 Carson Sass - D - Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
7 Tyler Heidt - D - Merrimack College (NCAA)
8 Jayden Davis F - Estevan Bruins (SJHL)
13 Jackson Doucet - F - Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL)
16 Randen Schmidt - D - Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
22 Tanner Sidaway - F - Cowichan Valley Capitals (BCHL)
23 Austin King-Cunningham - D - Estevan Bruins (SJHL)
24 Riley Krane - F - Dawson Creek (NMJHL) / Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
2 Tanner Pochipinski - F - Selkirk Steelers (MJHL)
28 Brady Pouteau - D - Manitoba Bisons (CWUAA)

Departures (9)

Forwards (3)
13 Tristan Frei - 23 Arthur Miller - 16 Linden McCorrister

Defence (5)
28 Landon Peel - 7 Tyler King - 4 Isaac Schacher
24 Zach Hicks - 22 Clayton Eisler

Goaltender (1)
31 Dawson McAulay

The Cats lost their top two scorers (Frei and Miller) and four of their top six defencemen. While their recruiting class is not going to make the Evil Monkeys jealous, they did more or less replace what they lost. Overall, I would expect them to end up roughly at the same level as 2019-20.

One unique off-season move is that former Bison defenceman Brady Pouteau went to Banjoland, while Linden McCorrister left Regina for Friendly Manitoba. Pouteau played the bulk of his junior career with the Regina Pats and McCorrister was a Brandon Wheat King.

The Seven Oaks Arena is a nice facility. Maybe I will be allowed in! I doubt that there will be live stats, and certainly no video stream.

ELSEWHERE IN THE CW

Sask-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (0-0-0, 3-1-0, OHT35 #n/a)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (0-0-0, 7-1-0, OHT35 #n/a)

Links:

As I post, this is the only series to have confirmed live stats. This battle of the traditional powerhouses in the conference would be interesting to watch on a video stream. The Banjo-Mutts played a mixed inter-squad series with Briercrest last weekend. I see that those results have now been scrubbed from their S&R page, which seems proper.

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Macewan-nowords-maroon-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (0-0-0, 3-4-0, OHT35 #n/a)
MACEWAN GRIFFINS (0-0-0, 1-3-0, OHT35 #n/a)

Links:

This is a home-and-home series, starting Friday in Edmontown before shifting to the Town of Bedrock on Saturday. The Mythical Mutants are only 1-3-0, but their opponents have been two of the top three CW teams in this pre-season (Alberta and MRU). Too bad there is no word on live stats or video as I post.

Trinity-Western-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
Simon-Fraser-SFU-hockey-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (0-0-0, 2-1-0, OHT35 #n/a)
SIMON FRASER ATHLETICS (0-0-0, 2-2-0)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (0-0-0, 4-0-0, OHT35 #n/a)

Links:
➤ TWU: Schedule & Results
➤ SFU: Team Website
➤ BCIHL: Schedule & Results
➤ 49-sport: UBC Men's Hockey Preseason Preview

The TWU v SFU game on Friday is the final round-robin game in the Captain's Cup series. UBC then hosts the championship game on Saturday night.

In the Captain's Cup games, Holy Trinity is 2-1-0 and SFU is 1-2-0. Victoria and Vancouver Island are both 1-3-0 and eliminated. The winner of the Friday night game will therefore be UBC's opponent on Saturday.

The BCIHL site should have Friday updates on it. On Saturday, I expect UBC will have live stats going. Maybe even a video stream since no fans are allowed to attend.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO

no games

ATLANTIC

The AUS regular season is underway now. 49-sport has a preview article of the whole conference at the links. There is also a story on UNB.

Wed Oct 6 Moncton 0 New Brunswick 3
Fri Oct 8 St. F.X. Saint Mary's
Fri Oct 8 Dalhousie Acadia
Fri Oct 8 New Brunswick U.P.E.I.
Sat Oct 9 Acadia St. F.X.
Sat Oct 9 Saint Mary's Dalhousie
Sat Oct 9 U.P.E.I. Moncton

Links:
➤ USports: Presto S&R
➤ OUA: LeagueStat Daily
➤ AUS: Schedule & Results
➤ 49-sport: With the U CUP in Halifax, the stakes are extra high for AUS MHKY teams in 2021-22
➤ 49-sport: Eyeing March, the UNB Reds are thrilled to get back to AUS hockey

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 8, 2021: Herd Loses Squeaker

Regina-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

REGINA COUGARS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 1

Links:

➤ UofM: Schedule & Results
➤ UofR: Twitter
➤ Saturday Live Stats: Live StatsHockey Tech

There will be live stats for Saturday afternoon’s rematch. The two links are above. On Friday night, the Banjo-Cats Twitter feed was the only source for the game from Seven Oaks. Here’s the summary:

1st period:
- Unnamed Bison scores PP goal less than 2 minutes into the game.
- Cougar Riley Kane tied it on the PP four minutes later.
- Bisons led shots 11-10.

2nd period:
- Ben Duperreault gave Regina the lead after 6 minutes.
- Cougars led shots 9-5.

3rd period:
- No scoring.
- From the start of the period to 1:12 to go took just 23 minutes.
- Bisons led the shots 10-3, 26-22 on the night.

No word on goaltenders or the Bison line-up. Saturday’s rematch goes at 2:00 pm CDT at the Wayne Fleming Arena.

Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 1

Links:

This was a tidy win for the Banjo-Mutts. They held period leads of 2-0 and 3-1, and out-shot the Evil Monkeys 37-29 on the night. Owen Hardy led the way to victory with 2 goals. Roddy Ross started and got the win in goal with 17 saves on 18 shots. Declan Hobbs came on in relief mid-way and stopped all 11 shots he faced. There was a bit of a kerfuffle with 10 seconds left. Each side had three 10-minute misconducts. The rematch starts at 4:00 MT/5:00 CT and live stats will be available.

Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 1
CALGARY DINOSAURS 7

Links:

➤ Live Video: CanadaWest.tv

Nothing but the score on this one from the Town of Bedrock. This was the Dinos’ best result, and the Mythical Mutants’ worst result, of the pre-season. The scene shifts to Edmontown for Saturday’s rematch, which starts at 5:00 MT/6:00 CT. The live stats and live video will be available.

Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 5
SIMON FRASER ATHLETICS 4

Links:

➤ BCIHL: Schedule & Results (summary not uploaded as I post)
➤ TWU: SPARTANS BEAT SIMON FRASER 5-4 IN CAPTAINS CUP MATCH
➤ SFU: YouTube Live Stream

This was the final game of the Captain’s Cup round-robin.The win gave Holy Trinity a 3-1-0 record, good for 2nd place and a berth in Saturday’s championship game against UBC. Meanwhile StFU fell to 1-3-0, the same record as their BCIHL brethren from UVic and VIU. Using GF-GA as a tie-breaker, VIU was 8-12 (-4), SFU was 12-19 (-7), and UVic was 6-17 (-11).

The final game at UBC starts at 3:00 PT/5:00 CT and live stats will be available.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO
no games

ATLANTIC
Fri Oct 8 St. F.X. 5 Saint Mary's 4
Fri Oct 8 Dalhousie 2 Acadia 5
Fri Oct 8 New Brunswick 3 U.P.E.I. 2 (ot)

Sat Oct 9 Acadia St. F.X.
Sat Oct 9 Saint Mary's Dalhousie
Sat Oct 9 U.P.E.I. Moncton

Links:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 9, 2021: Three Splits and a Trophy As Pre-Season Concludes

Saturday marked the final night of the CW pre-season. There were three traditional two-game series, all of which were split, and the winner-take-all Captain's Cup for the championship of British California. Here's what happened.

Regina-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

REGINA COUGARS 1
MANITOBA BISONS 3

Links:
➤ Game reports: LeagueStat : CW
➤ UofM: Schedule & Results
➤ CW: Manitoba Roster

After three-straight losses, the Bisons needed a win. A covid-induced sparse schedule of just four games has probably left the team less prepared than usual. I see that their posted roster (linked) is not yet whittled down. I suspect that this has already been done though not announced.

Colton Veloso led the way with 2 goals and an assist. Liam Hughes went the distance in goal, stopping 24 of 25 shots for the win. Brandon Holtby suffered the loss for the Banjo-Cats, with 25 saves on 28 shots.

Through the plus-minus feature my inference is that the Bison line-up was like this (19 skaters were dressed for each team):

Goal
30 Hughes (1 Link)

Defence
3 Harsch - 16 Hartje
2 Stewart - 6 Dyck
4 Anderson - 25 Sambrook - 27 Doerksen

Forwards
17 Veloso - 10 Skoleski - 23 Davis
26 McCorrister - 9 Thiessen - 19 Halvorsen
21 Basarab - 22 Ostir - 13 Sutter
20 Apetagon - 28 Behun - 15 Dalke

Scratches
35 Murphy (G) - 34 DeBoer (G) - 5 Schioler (D)
8 Barley (F) - 11 Carlson (F) - 14 Keane (F)
12 Jameson (F) - 29 King (F) - 24 Pierce (F)

The second and third lines would be guesses. The Veloso-Skoleski-Davis line scored all three Bison goals, and all of the assists on those goals.

The Bisons are off to the Town of Bedrock next weekend to face the Dinos, while Regina hosts MacEwan.

Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3

Links:

Even in exhibition games, a sweep over the Evil Monkeys in Edmontown is rare. However, it is also rare to see the Monkeys outshot in both games. Now the final total on Saturday was just 33-27 for Sask, and it was 16-8 in a third period where Sask was playing catch-up. But still, this is rare. Taz Burman started for the Monkeys got the win with 16 saves on 16 shots in the first half of the game. Nick Schneider stopped 15 of 17 shots in relief. The Mutts also split their goaltending duties. Starter Travis Child stopped 15 of 16 shots, and reliever Declan Hobbs stopped 9 of 11 to take the loss.

Next weekend Alberta faces MRU. Sask has a bye but will face Red Deer Poly of the ACAC in a non-conference series.

Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
MACEWAN GRIFFINS 3

Links:

I caught a bit of this on CWTV in between watching football, hockey, and baseball on TV, not to mention the heavyweight fight. The Mythical Mutants bounced back from Friday's kicking to claim a hard-fought win over the Dinos. There was a severe ebb-and-flow to this one, as reflected by the period scores and shots.
1st period: 1-0 for Mac, 21-7 shots
2nd period: 2-0 for Cal, 13-7 shots
3rd period : 2-0 for Mac, 10-5 shots

In goal, James Potter stopped 23 of 25 for the win, and Brodan Salmond stopped 35 of 38 for the loss. Chase Thudium scored twice for Mac, including the winner.

Next weekend, Mac faces Regina and Calgary hosts the Bisons.

Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg
UBC-wo-birds-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 7

Links:
➤ UBC: T-Birds clinch third straight Captains Cup

The T-irds ended the Captain's Cup in style with a decisive win over their newly minted inter-provincial rival. For some reason, the stats end at 49:53 into the game. Rylan Toth got the win for UBC (wasn't he supposedly leaving?) but only faced 11 shots. Talor Joseph stopped 28 of 35 in Trinity's net. These teams will play their first two of six games against one another next weekend.

Although UBC went 5-0-0 in the pre-season, since these wins came over current BCIHL teams and a team just promoted from the BCIHL, it is hard to gauge just where they stand in comparison to their traditional rivals.

NEXT UP
Fri Oct 15 Manitoba Calgary
Fri Oct 15 MacEwan Regina
Fri Oct 15 Alberta Mount Royal
Fri Oct 15 Trinity Western U.B.C.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO
Wed Oct 13 Concordia at U.Q.T.R. (exh)
Wed Oct 13 Queen's at McGill (exh)
Wed Oct 13 Toronto at Ryerson (exh)
Thu Oct 14 Brock at Waterloo (exh)
Thu Oct 14 Laurier at Ontario Tech (exh)

ATLANTIC
Sat Oct 9 Acadia 1 St. F.X. 2
Sat Oct 9 Saint Mary's 3 Dalhousie 4
Sat Oct 9 U.P.E.I. 4 Moncton 1

Wed Oct 13 Acadia New Brunswick
Wed Oct 13 Dalhousie St. F.X.

Links:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 12, 2021: Cuts Made, Bison Roster Updated

Manitoba-gold-50-X50.jpg

The Bison official team roster page was updated. They kept 27 players. The cuts were forwards Connor Barley and Andre Sutter and goaltender Austin DeBoer. Barley played in 2019-20 where he had 1 assist in 4 games. He excelled in the MJHL, peaking at 67 points in 58 games in 2017-18. He had two brief WHL call-ups, playing 3 games with the Kootenay Ice in 2015-16 and then a stint with the Portland Winterhawks in 2017-18 where he saw no game action. Sutter and DeBoer were newcomers.

There was also a write-up in The Manitoban on the weekend series. No line-ups were posted but on Friday Keaton Jameson got the goal, Jeremy Link played goal, and Saturday scratches Barley, Duncan Pierce, and Liam Schioler also played.

Finally, on Thanksgiving the Bisons had a scrimmage against the AHL's Manitoba Moose. Neither side has reported on it, so this was not considered an actual game. The teams have played 6 games before with the Moose holding a 4-2 edge.

Links:

➤ UofM: Roster Page
➤ The Manitoban: Bisons and Cougars collide in exhibition series
➤ Illegal Curve: Manitoba Moose reduce training camp roster by eight players

21-10-08-Reg-Man-Campbell-Schioler.jpg

Liam Schioler knocks down a Cougar.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Preview: October 15-16: MANITOBA at CALGARY

After a missed season, I am excited for the return of hockey. Only Bugs Bunny and his pals can bring the true level of excitement this moment deserves. You can sing along to the video!

Overture, curtain, lights
This is it, the night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing a part
We know every part by heart
Overture, curtain, lights
This is it, we'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit
On with the show this is it.

Tonight what heights we'll hit.
On with the show, this is it.

So here we go ....

Manitoba-brown-50x50.jpg
Calgary-red-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS (0-0-0, 1-3-0, OHT35 #14)
CALGARY DINOSAURS (0-0-0, 4-5-0, OHT35 #8)

Friday, October 15th at 7:00 MT/8:00 CT at FDB Arena, Calgary
Saturday, October 16th at 2:00 MT/3:00 CT at FDB Arena, Calgary

Live Links:
➤ Video: CanadaWest.tv

Manitoba Links:
➤ GoBisons: SEASON PREVIEW | Bisons men's hockey energized in return to the ice
➤ CW: StatsSchedule/Results/Links

Calgary Links:
➤ GoDinos: 10 new recruits, 10 days until the season begins
➤ GoDinos: The puck drops with a battle against the Bisons
➤ CW: StatsSchedule/Results/Links

Other Links:
➤ USports: Schedule/LinksStandings
➤ CW: Home PageSchedule
➤ LeagueStat: Media Stats

I gave a synopsis of the Bison roster in a prior post. Here's a look at the Dino roster:

Returnees (10)

Forwards (5)
11 Kaden Elder - 15 Tim Vanstone - 23 Ryan Graham
18 Jordan Xavier - 26 Bradley Schoonbaert

Defence (3)
3 Ryan Gagnon - 29 James Shearer - 20 Brendan De Jong

Goaltenders (2)
31 Brodan Salmond - 30 Tyler Gutenberg

Newcomers (17)
1 Carl Stankowski - G - Winnipeg Ice (WHL)
2 Dakota Krebs - D - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
4 Sean Strange - D - Kamloops Blazers (WHL)
5 Matt Quigley - D - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
7 Noah King - D - Spokane Chiefs (WHL) / Stockton & Manitoba (AHL)
8 Connor Gutenberg - F - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
9 Zach Wytinck - D - Regina Pats (WHL)
10 Arjun Atwal - C/LW - Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL)
17 Brad Ginnell - F - Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
19 Jaeger White - F - Kootenay Ice (WHL)
21 Josh Maser - F - Allen Americans (ECHL)
22 Josh Rieger - D - University of North Dakota (NCAA)
27 Tyson Upper - F - Prince George Cougars (WHL)
28 Colson Gengenbach - F - Drayton Valley Thunder (AJHL)
33 Max Patterson - F - Everett Silvertips/Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
41 Jake Gricius - F - Portland Winterhawks (WHL) / Allen (ECHL)
42 Riley Stotts - F - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

Departures (17)

Forwards (10)
16 Matt Alfaro - 17 Coda Gordon - 22 Mitch Cook
9 Graham Black - 21 Logan Fisher - 27 Chris Rauckman
24 Luke Harrison - 39 Lane Zablocki - 10 Robbie Fisher
28 Josh Uhrich

Defence (6)
44 Dallas Hines - 7 TJ Brown - 41 Sahvan Khaira
42 Dane Gibson - 2 Jake Kearley - 5 Jordan Henderson

Goaltender (1)
1 Matthew Greenfield

The Dinos are losing not only way more players than most, they are losing upper level players, including the league's leading scorer (Alfaro), their top two scorers (Alfaro and Gordon), and three of their top five (Alfaro, Gordon, and Cook). They also lose five of their top seven defencemen and Matthew Greenfield (a goalie who split the load). The 17 recruits have lot of holes to fill. While some good players have been recruited, this team (on paper) is not as good as the 2019-20 team.

Also, the Dinos have an exceptionally tough schedule. The CW season has been reduced to 20 games. Everybody gets a two game series against each of the other eight teams, for 16 games. The four additional games are done regionally. Manitoba gets two games against each of Regina and Saskatchewan. Calgary gets two against Mount Royal and one against each Edmonton team (Alberta and MacEwan). UBC gets an additional four games against Holy Trinity. Thus, Calgary and Mount Royal have very unforgiving schedules.

For the Bisons, this is an opportunity to avenge their playoff loss to the Dinos in 2020. Over the past 5 years, Calgary has a 9-7 edge with an OTL for each team in those totals.

The main thing I'll be checking out is the Bison powerplay. Last year it was a major weakness, largely because they gave up so many shorthanded goals. I compiled the following chart at the end of the last season:

20-02-08-PK-PP-Stats.jpg

On their own powerplay, the Bisons just outscored their opponents 21-11. When killing penalties, they were outscored 32-1. Add that all together and they were -21 in 28 games. Even a break-even season would significantly boost their standing.

ELSEWHERE IN THE CW

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (0-0-0, 6-2-0, OHT35 #2)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (0-0-0, 3-2-1, OHT35 #6)

Links:
➤ UofA: Team Site
➤ MRU: 2021 Season Preview

Some of the best games I have seen have featured the Bluegars. Yet they always seem to not quite reach their full potential. For example, in the 2020 playoffs they were upset by UBC. That is something they have in common with the Evil Monkeys. I have not yet been able to do a full roster review of these two teams. However, they both played well in the pre-season and split a pair of games between them. The games start at 7:00 MT/8:00 CT on Friday and 6:00 MT/7:00 CT on Saturday.

Macewan-nowords-maroon-50x50.jpg
Regina-2020-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS (0-0-0, 2-4-0, OHT35 #13)
REGINA COUGARS (0-0-0, 3-2-0, OHT35 #11)

Links:
➤ MacU: With strong mix of experience and youth, Griffins ready for Canada West debut at Regina
➤ UofR: Team Site

This series is the maiden voyage in the big leagues of university hockey for the Mythical Mutants. They experienced some rough nights and some fine rebounds in the pre-season. The games I caught on CWTV were reasonably good. But their worst games were not streamed. The Banjo-Cats seemed to be making a playoff push in 2020. They came out strong in the new year, going 4-0 including a sweep of UBC. They even rose up the standings into 6th place ahead of UBC. However, they closed at 2-5-1 and UBC coasted to a playoff berth. The games start at 7:00 CST/8:00 CDT on Friday and 3:00 CST/4:00 CDT on Saturday. I'll be trying catch some of this series.

Trinity-Western-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN (0-0-0, 3-2-0, OHT35 #16)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (0-0-0, 5-0-0, OHT35 #9)

Links:
➤ TWU: TWU FINISHES SECOND IN CAPTAINS CUP
➤ TWU: SEASON PREVIEW I SPARTANS READY TO PROVE THEMSELVES IN U SPORTS DEBUT
➤ UBC: T-Birds host Spartans in long-awaited season opener

For the first time in over 40 years, the T-irds have an intra-provincial rival due to Holy Trinity's cross-over from the BCIHL. Nevertheless, these teams played only within British California against one another and BCIHL teams in the pre-season. Therefore, they may well face a baptism of fire when they venture beyond the Rocky Mountains. UBC already has two pre-season wins over TWU with six more regular season games to go. Of note, the UBC linked story says Friday's game is sold out. These games start at 7:00 PT/9:00 CT on Friday and 3:00 PT/5:00 PT on Saturday. So I will likely be able to catch the 3rd periods.

Red-Deer-50x50-lime.jpg
Sask-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

RED DEER POLY KINGS (0-0-0, 0-3-0, ACAC)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (0-0-0, 4-2-0, OHT35 #4)

Links:
➤ RDP: Scheudle & Results
➤ UofS: Team Site

With 9 teams in the CW, somebody always has a bye. The Banjo-Mutts draw the opening bye this year, and fill the space with games against Red Deer Poly. The Kings were formerly coached by new Mutt coach Mike Babcock. They lost 4-1 and 6-3 to the Evil Monkeys earlier this pre-season. They then had three weeks off before losing 2-0 to Augustana last weekend.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO
Wed Oct 13 Concordia 2 U.Q.T.R. 3
Wed Oct 13 Queen's 4 McGill 2
Wed Oct 13 Toronto 2 Ryerson 4
Wed Oct 13 Windsor 5 W. Ontario 6

Thu Oct 14 Brock at Waterloo
Thu Oct 14 Laurier at Ontario Tech
Fri Oct 15 Ontario Tech at Laurier
Fri Oct 15 U.Q.T.R. at Concordia
Sat Oct 16 R.M.C. at McGill
Sat Oct 16 Toronto at Guelph
Sat Oct 16 Waterloo at Western Ontario

ATLANTIC
Wed Oct 13 Acadia 1 New Brunswick 4
Wed Oct 13 Dalhousie 2 St. F.X. 5

Fri Oct 15 St. F.X. U.P.E.I.
Fri Oct 15 Moncton Acadia
Sat Oct 16 U.P.E.I. Dalhousie
Sat Oct 16 Saint Mary's Moncton
Sun Oct 17 Saint Mary's New Brunswick

Links:
USports Presto S&R
OUA LS Daily
AUS S&R

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
October 14: Saskatchewan Huskies

Sask-S-2019-50x50.jpg

I did a preview of the new Bison roster already, and then in the run-up to their games against the Bisons, repeated the process with Regina and Calgary. Now it is the turn of the Banjo-Mutts.

Returnees (11)

Forwards (6)
15 Jared Dmytriw - 17 Donovan Neuls - 13 Carter Folk
12 Justin Ball - 21 Wyatt Johnson - 5 Jeffrey Faith

Defence (3)
3 Gordon Ballhorn - 7 Shane Collins - 27 Evan Fiala

Goaltenders (2)
32 Travis Child - 30 Declan Hobbs

Newcomers (15)

2 Tate Olson - D - Acadia (AUS)
4 Parker Gavlas - D - Medicine Hat (WHL)
9 Ty Prefontaine D - Lethbridge (WHL)
11 Chantz Petruic - F - Wichita (ECHL)/Birmingham (SPHL)
14 Owen Hardy - F - Moose Jaw (WHL)
16 Dawson Holt - F - Vernon (BCHL)/Regina (WHL)
18 Vince Loschiavo - F - Asiago (Italy)
19 Zane Franklin - F - Allen Americans (ECHL)
22 Connor Hobbs - D - Hershey (AHL)
23 Alec Zawatsky - F - Weiden (Germany)
25 Jaxan Kaluski - F - Swift Current (WHL)
26 Brayden Camrud - F - Alaska-Anchorage (NCAA)
28 Gunner Kinniburgh - D - Lloydminster (AJHL)
31 Roddy Ross - G - Regina (WHL)
35 Joshua Dias - G - Merritt (BCHL)

Departures (15)

Forwards (9)
11 Colin Shirley - 10 Levi Cable - 16 Carson Stadnyk
20 Layne Young - 14 Logan McVeigh - 19 Kohl Bauml
22 Andrew Johnson - 9 Jordan Tkach - 21 Dakota Boutin

Defence (5)
2 Sam Ruopp - 8 Tanner Lishchynsky - 4 Colby Harmsworth
6 Kendall Fransoo - 29 Cody Spagrud

Goaltender (1)
31 Taran Kozun

The Banjo-Mutts have lost a lot from 2019-20, including 6 of their top 8 forwards and their all-star goaltender. Though it is a good recruiting class, it is hard to imagine the top six recruits equalling the departed forwards’ point totals. Also, a shift from the all-star goaltending (provided by Kozun) to the probably good goaltending (provided by the recruit who emerges as #1) is still a step back. All in all, I suspect that the Mutts will have a good record but maybe down a point or two from 2019-20.

Links:
➤ UofS: Roster Page
➤ LeagueStat: 2019-20 Team Stats
➤ CW: 2021-22 Team Stats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad