Red-Deer-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6
RED DEER POLYTECHNIC KINGS 3

Links:
➤ UofA: Schedule & Results
➤ RDP: Schedule & Results
➤ ACACTV: Video Stream
➤ ACAC: Boxscore (blank)

There were no spectators allowed, but Red Deer Polytechnic (as it has now been called for a week, apparently) utilized ACACTV to stream the game, albeit without audio commentary. Also, no live stats were provided and as I post the stats link is blank.

The Evil Monkeys did not look sharp, but still dominated the shot clock by a wide margin. Hopefully links with stats, lineups, etc. will shed some light as to who played.

Victoria-2012-50x50.jpg
Vancouver-Island-white-50x50.jpg

VICTORIA VIKINGS 5
VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 6

(in overtime)

Links:
➤ BCIHL: Schedule & Results
➤ Facebook: VIU Mariners Page

Neither team website has anything on the game. I did see a Facebook post from VIU which has a 25 second clip of a goal and celebration by VIU, which was apparently an overtime goal. So, this is a pre-season sweep for the Mariners.

Okanagan-Lakers-lightorange-50x50.jpg
Simon-Fraser-hockey-2015-50x50.jpg

OKANAGAN LAKERS 3
SIMON FRASER CLAN 4

(in a shootout)

Links:
➤ Twitter: SFU Hockey Page
➤ YouTube: Live Stream - now on demand

The SFU squad did a pretty decent job on this live stream. I only wish they would have linked the information on this broadcast from their website. I found it from Twitter when looking for a score update, because there were no live stats. This was a very even game throughout. The Lakers are going to be a decent expansion team.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 13: British California's Captain's Cup Expands

Victoria-V-2015-50x50.jpg
Simon-Fraser-SFU-hockey-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-head-R-50x50.jpg
Trinity-Western-L-50x50.jpg

This year the various CW and BCIHL teams from Beautiful British Columbia are holding a new and improved Captain's Cup. This formerly involved just UBC, SFU, and TWU. Now UVic and VIU are joining in the fun. The five teams will play a round-robin (4 games each), followed by a winner-take-all final at UBC. Odddly, Holy Trinity will play all four games away and UBC will play all four games (or five!) at home.

The BCIHL's expansion Okanagan Lakers are the only team not taking part in the event.

This is a nice idea. The tournament is said to have a dual purpose, demonstrating the benefits of the WHL scholarship option. However, I believe that UBC would like to have some tougher opposition. They will face Trinity 6 times in the regular season, out of 20 games. But the circumstances of this year are such that you have to take what you can.

Here's the schedule:

September 17th
Simon Fraser @ UBC – 7:00 p.m.
TWU @ Victoria - 7:00 p.m.

September 18th
TWU @ VIU - 4:00 p.m.

September 24th
VIU @ Victoria - 7:00 p.m.

September 25th
TWU @ UBC – 3:30 p.m.

October 1st
Victoria @ Simon Fraser - 7:00 p.m.
VIU @ UBC – 1:45 p.m.

October 2nd
VIU @ Simon Fraser - 7:00 p.m.
Victoria @ UBC – 3:30 p.m.

October 8th
TWU @ Simon Fraser - 7:00 p.m.

October 9th
Captain's Cup Final (top two seeds) @ UBC – 3:00 p.m.

Links:
➤ UBC: Expanded Captain’s Cup returns for 2021
➤ TWU: SPARTANS TO COMPETE IN 4TH ANNUAL CAPTAINS CUP
➤ SFU: The BCIHL faces off against USports for the 2021 Captain’s Cup

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 15-19: Weekend Preview: Bisons Bye, 10 Games in West, 3 in the East

In the west, this extended weekend involves way more games than is usual in the regular season. The Bisons and MacEwan have byes, but the other seven are involved with five teams from the BCIHL and ACAC. I have divided the western previews into three segments: the "usual" double-headers, the BC Captain's Cup, and the Prairie matchups which begin Wednesday night (which is where we start).

PRAIRIE MATCH-UPS

Calgary-box-old-50x50.gif
SAIT-2018-nowords-50x50-box.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (2019-20: 18-7-3, 3rd in CW, 2-2 in playoffs)
SAIT TROJANS (2019-20: 13-10-2-3, 4th in ACAC, 2-1 in playoffs)

Links:
➤ ACAC: Schedule & Results
➤ SAIT: Schedule & Results
➤ UofC: Men's Hockey History vs Southern Alberta Institute of Technology from Oct 9, 1987 - Sep 29, 2017

This is the game that starts the week on Wednesday night (Sept 15). These cross-town rivals meet fairly often in pre-season or Christmas holiday encounters. The Dinos have a 16-5-1 edge since 1987. I found no links for live stats.

Regina-box-50x50-2019.gif
Briercrest-B-50x50-box.jpg

REGINA COUGARS (2019-20: 8-17-3, 7th in CW)
BRIERCREST CLIPPERS (2019-20: 7-18-2-1, 7th in ACAC)

Links:
➤ BC: Team Site
➤ UofR: Schedule & Results

This game goes on Saturday, Sept 18th in Caronport. Regina's history link does not have their results against Briercrest. I found no links for live stats for this game either.

WEEKEND DOUBLE-HEADERS

Mount-Royal-box-2017-50x50.jpg
Alberta-box-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (2019-20: 18-8-2, 4th in CW, 1-2 in playoffs)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (2019-20: 23-5-0, 1st in CW, 1-2 in playoffs, 2021: 2-0-0)

Links:
➤ UofA: Roster Page
➤ UofA: History from Sep 24, 2011 - Jan 11, 2020
➤ LeagueStat: Live Stats (Friday)
➤ MRU: Schedule & Results
➤ CW: Live Stats (Friday)

This is a home-and-home series on Friday Sept 17th in Edmonton and Saturday Sept 18th in Calgary. Both teams ended their last season with 2-1 losses to UBC, MRU in the quarter-final and Alberta in the semi-final. The Evil Monkeys are uploading live stats for the Friday game. The Bluegars' web site has not been updated for a while. Hopefully they will get aroster posted before this series begins.

Calgary-box-old-head-R-50x50.gif
Sask-box-head-50x50.gif

CALGARY DINOSAURS (2019-20: 18-7-3, 3rd in CW, 2-2 in playoffs)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (2019-20: 22-4-2 in CW, 4-1 in playoffs)

Links:
➤ UofC: Schedule & Results
➤ UofC: History from Sep 29, 1985 - Feb 22, 2020
➤ UofS: Schedule & Results
➤ Star-Phoenix: Big name on campus: Mike Babcock returns behind the bench, making U of S Huskies debut Friday

The Dinos will leave the Town of Bedrock for a trip to Sask, a rare inter-provincial contest. Games go Friday and Saturday. The Star-Phoenix states that the Banjo Mutts have 10 pre-season games, which would account for all games announced by their various opponents but not listed on their website.

Also, the Star-Phoenix story has most of the Mutts' roster broken down:

Arrivals:
Goaltenders: Roddy Ross, Adam Evanoff, Josh Dias
Defence: Connor Hobbs, Ty Prefontaine, Tate Olson, Parker Gavlas, Gunner Kinniburgh
Forwards: Owen Hardy, Zane Franklin, Vince Loschiavo, Jaxan Kaluski, Dawson Holt, Brayden Camrud, Chance Petruic, Alec Zawatsky

Returnees:
Goaltenders: Travis Child, Declan Hobbs
Defence: Gordie Ballhorn, Evan Fiala, Shane Collins, Cody Spagrud
Forwards: Wyatt Johnson, Jared Dmytriw, Donovan Neuls, Carter Folk, Jeff Faith, Justin Ball

Departures:
Goaltender: Taran Kozun
Defence: Tanner Lishchynsky, Colby Harmsworth, Sam Ruopp
Forwards: Colin Shirley, Carson Stadnyk, Levi Cable, Logan McVeigh, Kohl Bauml, Layne Young, Andrew Johnson

The story also has a quote from Babcock:
"The truth? I don't know. I'm used to being in the NHL. I don't know what a good college team looks like or even what a good college player looks like. It's been '93-'94 since I knew that, so that's where we're at that way, but we're excited about our progress. The guys have been working hard and until you play some games, it's hard to know."

CAPTAIN'S CUP

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg
CW-2017-UBC-50x50.jpg

The Captain's Cup kicks off Friday night with Simon Fraser at UBC and Trinity Western's weekend double-header at Victoria and Vancouver Island. The event is a 5-team round-robin topped off with a championship game between the top two teams.

Simon-Fraser-SFU-square-50x50.jpg
UBC-box-logo-50x50.jpg

SIMON FRASER CLAN (2019-20: 15-7-2, 2nd in BCIHL, no playoffs)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (2019-20: 9-14-5, 5th in CW, 4-4 in playoffs)

Links:
➤ UBC: Schedule & Results
➤ UBC: History from Sep 10, 2016 - Sep 21, 2018
➤ CW: Live Stats (Friday)
➤ LeagueStat: Live Stats (Friday)
➤ SFU: Roster Page

The UBC history link has them with a 3-0 record against STFU. However, I believe they are missing a split two-game Christmas break series from about 5 years ago. I'll check that out. UBC will be uploading live stats for this game, as linked.

Trinity-box-R-50x50.jpg
Victoria-V-2015-50x50-box.jpg
viu-mariners-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (2019-20: 19-4-1, 1st in BCIHL, no playoffs)
VICTORIA VIKINGS (2019-20: 6-16-2, 5th in BCIHL, no playoffs)
VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS (2019-20: 13-9-2, 3rd in BCIHL, no playoffs)

Links:
➤ TWU: Schedule & Results
➤ TWU: Men's Hockey History vs University of Victoria from Oct 25, 2014 - Feb 21, 2020
➤ TWU: Men's Hockey History vs Vancouver Island from Oct 7, 2017 - Feb 22, 2020
➤ UVic: Team Site
➤ VIU: Schedule & Results

Holy Trinity starts the season playing two familiar BCIHL foes, doing so as a newly minted CW squad. UVic's and VIU's websites are in dire need of updating so I'm not anticipating much information coming from those sources. We'll see wha TWU can do as a road team.

OUT EAST

AUS-2016-50x50.jpg

Sept 17 Dalhousie at St. FX
Sept 17 Moncton at Saint Mary's
Sept 19 UNB at Moncton

Links:
➤ AUS: Schedule & Results

OUA-2016-50x50.jpg

No games in the OUA.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 15: Dinos Win

Calgary-pre-2012-hockey-50x50.jpg
SAIT-Trojan-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 8
SAIT TROJANS 1

Links:

SAIT never uploaded a thing about the game, not even a tweet. So I gather this game was not very competitive.

Friday night's schedule:
Sept 17 Mount Royal at Alberta
Sept 17 Trinity Western at Victoria
Sept 17 Simon Fraser at UBC
Sept 17 Calgary at Saskatchewan
Sept 17 Dalhousie at St. FX
Sept 17 Moncton at Saint Mary's

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 17: Free Video on Saturday!

ACAC-50x50.jpg
Briercrest-50x50.jpg

Briercrest and the ACAC will be offering up a video stream of the game between the Clippers and Banjo Cats on Saturday night starting at 6:50 CST (7:50 CDT, 10:20 in Newfoundland).

Link: ACACTV.ca

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 17: Roster Pages, Sask and Lakehead News

CW-2017-Sask-50x50.jpg

I see that 7 out of 9 CW teams now have an updated 2021-22 roster page. The holdouts are Manitoba and Calgary. I will do a review of arrivals, departures, and returnees for each team during the upcoming week. Here are the links:

Links:
➤ UofA: Golden Bears Roster Page
➤ MacU: Griffins Roster Page
➤ MRU: Cougars Roster Page
➤ UofR: Cougars Roster Page
➤ UofS: Huskies Roster Page
➤ TWU: Spartans Roster Page
➤ UBC: Thunderbirds Roster Page

Sask-hockey-50x50.jpg

The Banjo-Mutts have an app! It will no doubt have the ability to stream banjo music and a fire hydrant locator. Of even greater significance is that local radio 750 AM will broadcast all football games. Men's and women's hockey (home and away) will also be streamed and broadcast on radio. I am not sure how that works when games are played simultaneously, but we'll find out I suppose. Since there is an app for everything now, I am not sure if I will use it. Phones only have so much space.

I know Manitoba's campus station (UMFM 101.5) has broadcasts of home games in hockey and football, and some away games in football. UBC had pretty good radio coverage at one time. My use of that service diminished once CanadaWest.tv came about. An extra source of USports content never hurts.

Links:
➤ UofS: University of Saskatchewan Huskies, Pattison Media Announce HuskieFAN App
➤ UofS: Weekly Preview: September 13-18, 2021

Lakehead-50x50.jpg

The Lakehead website hasn't been updated since September 2020, and the schedule page still has 2019-20 on it. I checked out their social media and there were a few announcements and videos over there. On a Facebook query about exhibition games, they replied "we’re hoping to have announcements out shortly, stay tuned!" Lots of OUA teams have nothing posted about their pre-seasons so perhaps bargaining is still going on.

Also, Thunder Bay's local media gives the team coverage and I have linked a story from TBNewsWatch.com.

Links:
➤ Facebook: Lakehead U Hockey
➤ Twitter: Lakehead U Hockey
➤ YouTube: Thunderwolves Hockey
➤ TB News Watch: Wolves open camp with plenty of new faces

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 17: A Night of Big Scores

Mount-Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg
Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 5
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2

Links:
➤ UofA: Golden Bears fall to impressive Cougars
➤ Summary: LeagueStat : CW : UofA
➤ Game report: LeagueStat : CW

It is only exhibition but an away win over the Evil Monkeys has to make the Bluegars feel good. The U of A's athletic department has a game story up and results were uploaded just like in the regular season, so credit to them.

The Bluegars have a commanding lead in the "Players Named Riley" category, with four. Two of them were goaltenders. Morris played the first half, stopping of 10 shots for the win, and and Sims stopped 18 of 19 for the save in relief. Former H0rny0ne, Taz Burman, took the loss with 17 stops on 21 shots.

Although the Bluegars were outshot, it must be noted that the Evil Monkeys had 8 power plays (and went scoreless), to just two for MRU (also scoreless). The Bluegars also had two 10-minute misconducts. Their penalties included kneeing, boarding, and roughing after the whistle. Maybe the Evil Monkeys need some big gorillas for protection.

The two sides travel to Calgary for Saturday's rematch.

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Sask-S-2019-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 7
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 2

Links:
➤ UofS: Huskies fall to Dinos in pre-season opener

Mike Babcock's return to the bench did not turn out well. The Banjo Mutts never uploaded stats, but did submit a game story (which is linked). The rematch is a Saturday matinee.

Simon-Fraser-SFU-hockey-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

SIMON FRASER CLAN 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 8

Links:
➤ Summary: LeagueStat : CW : UBC : BCIHL
➤ Game report: LeagueStat : CW

UBC did not post a game story but did upload the stats. This was a solid win to open the Captain's Cup out in British California. Rylan Toth started in goal bit played just one period and stopped 2 out of 3 shots. Reliever Ethan Anders stopped 16 of 17 for the win. Meanwhile, Michael Lenko stopped only one shot for the Clown and was pulled after 34 seconds. I sense an injury. Cale Dolan took the loss with 20 saves on 28 shots.

Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg
Victoria-old-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 6
VICTORIA VIKINGS 0

Links:
➤ TWU: SPARTANS OPEN CAPTAINS CUP WITH 6-0 VICTORY OVER VICTORIA
➤ Summary: BCIHL

Good for Holy Trinity, being on the road but still posting a game story. The BCIHL summaries are missing most data. The story says TWU split the game amongst three goaltenders.

OUT EAST

AUS-2016-50x50.jpg

Dalhousie 1 St. FX 3

Links:

NEXT UP

Sept 18 Moncton at Saint Mary's
Sept 18 Regina at Briercrest College
Sept 18 Alberta at Mount Royal
Sept 18 Calgary at Saskatchewan
Sept 18 Trinity Western at Vancouver Island
Sept 19 UNB at Moncton

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 18: Saturday Splits in the CW

Alberta-circle-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3

Links:

The Bluegars uploaded neither stats nor stories for this game.

Calgary-UC-50x50.jpg
Sask-green-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 4
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 6

Links:

The Huskies did upload a game story on Friday night, but not tonight. So two CW series this weekend, and both were splits.

Regina-R-50x50.jpg
Briercrest-B-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS 6
BRIERCREST CLIPPERS 1

Links:
➤ ACAC: Boxscore
➤ ACAC: Video

Briercrest supplied a video stream, without play-by-play commentary, for this game and did upload a boxscore, both through the ACAC site. I couldn't get the stream to come in until it was already 3-0 for the Banjo Cats. The Kittens dominated most of the game, although the shots ended up being just 35-24 in their favour. Six different Cats scored one goal each. Curtis Meger started in goal and got the win with 14 saves. Donovan Buskey came in mid-way through the 2nd period and came within 20 seconds of a shutout.

Next weekend Regina hosts a 3-way dance with the Bisons and Saskatchewan. Oddly, Briercrest now has a month off before they face SAIT.

Trinity-Westen-pre-2009-50x50.gif

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 4
VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 2

Links:
➤ TWU: SPARTANS WIN 4-2 OVER VIU IN CAPTAINS CUP
➤ BCIHL: Summary

Once again, Trinity got a game story posted from the road. This gives the Spartans a 2-0-0 record and 1st place in the Captain's Cup. UBC is 1-0-0 and the rest are 0-1-0. The BCIHL summary includes just goals scored and penalties taken by VIU players.

NEXT UP

Sept 23 Regina at Saskatchewan
Sept 24 Calgary at Alberta
Sept 24 MacEwan at Mount Royal
Sept 24 Manitoba at Regina
Sept 24 Vancouver Island at Victoria
Sept 25 Alberta at Calgary
Sept 25 Manitoba at Saskatchewan
Sept 25 Trinity Western at UBC
Sept 25 Simon Fraser at Alaska Fairbanks
Sept 25 Vancouver Island at Okanagan
Sept 26 Mount Royal at MacEwan

OUT EAST

AUS-2016-50x50.jpg

Sept 18 Moncton at Saint Mary's - no results posted at AUS site nor by either team

Links:

NEXT UP

Sept 19 UNB at Moncton
Sept 21 Saint Mary's at Acadia
Sept 24 Acadia at New Brunswick
Sept 24 St. FX at Moncton
Sept 25 Dalhousie at New Brunswick
Sept 25 Saint Mary's at St. FX
Sept 25 Carleton at North Dundas Rockets

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I keep checking and it was up on Friday.
I see it is still on Alaska's website, but the BCIHL website shows Simon Fraser playing in Merritt against the Okanagan Lakers. Also, this:

So perhaps sanity has prevailed.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I see it is still on Alaska's website, but the BCIHL website shows Simon Fraser playing in Merritt against the Okanagan Lakers. Also, this:

So perhaps sanity has prevailed.

I suspected as much but for so long as the game was listed I wasn't touching it. Nice that Okanagan picks up a game since they had no games last weekend as BC teams focus on the Captain's Cup.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 23-26: Weekend Preview: Bisons Are Off to Banjoland!

The ACAC teams have no games scheduled the next two weekends for some reason, so we have a 3-way round-robin in Sask, two double-headers in Alberta, some BCIHL/Captain's Cup games, and a few games out east.

Regina-box-logoc-50x50.gif
Sask-box-head-50x50.gif
Manitoba-box-head-L-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS (1-0-0)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (1-1-0)
MANITOBA BISONS (0-0-0)

Links:
➤ UofM: Schedule & Results
➤ UofS: PREVIEW: Huskies back on home ice Thursday in tune-up against Cougars
➤ UofS: Huskies bounce back, take down Dinos
➤ Star-Phoenix: 'We'll figure it out here': Babcock's first impressions on U of S Huskies hockey

This is the schedule for this mini-round-robin:
Sept 23 Regina at Saskatchewan
Sept 24 Manitoba at Regina
Sept 25 Manitoba v Saskatchewan (at Regina)

The Bisons have yet to update their roster page so there's not much I can say about their roster. Regina does not normally upload exhiition stats to LeagueStat, so we likely won't get much feedback on these games. Maybe some updates will happen Thursday or Friday.

Mac-Ewan-nowords-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-box-50x50.png

MACEWAN GRIFFINS (0-0-0)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (1-1-0)

Links:
➤ MacU: Schedule & Results

This is one of two Alberta home-and-home series on the weekend. It appears that no arrangements exist for live stats reporting, nor does there appear a plan for CanadaWest.tv coverage of any games. These former ACAC rivals meet for the first time as CW rivals.

Calgary-box-old-head-R-50x50.gif
Alberta-box-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (1-1-0)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (3-1-0)

Links:

The Evil Monkeys usually have a preview story and uploaded live stats, even for exhibition games. We'll see if that happens.

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

Trinity-box-R-50x50.jpg
UBC-box-logo-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (2-0-0)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (1-0-0)

Links:
➤ TWU: Schedule & Results
➤ SFU: SFU Hockey and the BCIHL have announced that SFU will face off against the Okanagan Lakers on Sept. 25th in Merritt, BC.
➤ OKL: Okanagan Team Site
➤ VIU: Schedule & Results

This will be Holy Trinity's first game against a CW opponent as a CW hockey team. A win would pretty much get them a place in the Captain's Cup final. They are currently 2-0-0, UBC 1-0-0, and the other three teams are all 0-1-0. UBC usually provides live stats, but no links are currently set up for that. SFU's trip to Alaska was cancelled. They added a game with Okanagan, and the VIU v Okanagan game scheduled for Sept 25th got shifted to Sept 26th. Okanagan's games are not part of the Captain's Cup. Here's the weekend schedule on (or beyond) the coast:

Sept 24 Vancouver Island at Victoria
Sept 25 Trinity Western at UBC
Sept 25 Simon Fraser at Okanagan
Sept 26 Vancouver Island at Okanagan

OUT EAST

AUS-2016-50x50.jpg

Sept 21 Saint Mary's 4 Acadia 3 (ot)
Sept 24 Acadia at New Brunswick
Sept 24 St. FX at Moncton
Sept 25 Dalhousie at New Brunswick
Sept 25 Saint Mary's at St. FX

OUA-2016-50x50.jpg

Sept 21 Quebec University All-Stars 3 Montreal Canadiens Rookies 5
Sept 25 Carleton at North Dundas Rockets (Senior AA)

The Queec University All-Stars included players from McGill, Concordia, and UQTR. The complete roster is located in the McGill preview link.

Links:
➤ McG: Eight McGillians to play for Quebec university all-stars vs Habs prospects
➤ McG: McGill's Tremblay scores but Quebec University All-Stars fall to Habs rookie squad
➤ NHL: U Sports @ MTL: Rookie Game recap
➤ Summary: LeagueStat
➤ NDR: Team Site

NEWS

U-Sports-50x50.jpg

The upcoming Vanier Cup and all national championships will be on the various CBC services through 2025. It is not clear whether any games will be on the usual TV channel. Let's get Don Cherry on for the hockey finals!

Links:
➤ CBC: CBC Sports to broadcast U Sports national championships for next 4 years
➤ USports: CBC Sports becomes exclusive English-language digital broadcaster of U SPORTS National Championships through 2025

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 23: Canines Crush Felines in the Battle of Banjoland

Regina-old-50x50.jpg
Sask-white-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS 1
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 12

Links:
➤ UofS: Team Twitter
➤ UofS: Loschiavo’s hat-trick leads Huskies past Cougars

This must have been a severe mauling, like Sylvester the Cat being pounded upon by that big bulldog. I followed along on the Banjo-Mutts' Twitter feed (linked), which serves as a haphazzard game summary. They got their game story uploaded quickly.

The Mutts are now 2-1-0 and the Cats are now 1-1-0 in the pre-season. Surely Regina is not THAT bad, so I expect them to be better against the Bisons on Friday night.

Reactions: Rob

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 24: Live Stats on Four Games

Friday: Manitoba at Regina
➤ UofR: Team Twitter
➤ Live Stats: LeagueStat
➤ Live Stats: CW Hockey Tech

Friday: Calgary at Alberta

Saturday: Trinity Western at UBC

Sunday: Mount Royal at MacEwan

There must be some kind of error on the Bison line-up. There are 14 defence, 5 forwards, and one goaltender.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Sept 23: Canines Crush Felines in the Battle of Banjoland

Regina-old-50x50.jpg
Sask-white-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS 1
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 12

Links:
➤ UofS: Team Twitter
➤ UofS: Loschiavo’s hat-trick leads Huskies past Cougars

This must have been a severe mauling, like Sylvester the Cat being pounded upon by that big bulldog. I followed along on the Banjo-Mutts' Twitter feed (linked), which serves as a haphazzard game summary. They got their game story uploaded quickly.

The Mutts are now 2-1-0 and the Cats are now 1-1-0 in the pre-season. Surely Regina is not THAT bad, so I expect them to be better against the Bisons on Friday night.
Nice score.......!!!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 24: Banjo-Cats Rebound to Beat Bisons

Manitoba-sunglasses-gold-50x50.jpg
Regina-2020-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS 1
REGINA COUGARS 7

Links:
➤ Summaries: LeagueStat : CW : UofM : UofR
➤ Game reports: LeagueStat : CW
➤ CW: Manitoba Bisons Roster

My prognostication of a bounce-back for the Kittens proved prophetic. Leading 1-0 after the 1st period, they scored three times in 6 minutes of the 2nd. After that it was pretty much put away. Turner Ripplinger and Tyler Adams each had 2 goals and an assist to lead the Kitties. Brandon Holtby went the distance for the win in net. Hayden Ostir scored for the Bisons. Jeremy Link played two periods in goal, stopping 15 of 20 shots. Brett Murphy stopped 11 of 13 shots in the 3rd.

More importantly, I got a look at the Bison roster. They have 30 players in camp, 4 of whom are goaltenders. Of the 26 skaters, the 8 who were scratched are projected to be starters when the regular season begins. Liam Hughes, the projected starting goaltender, was also scratched. My guess is that they won't keep all 30 players in camp and were giving a hard look at those fighting for spots. They will likely keep as a #3 goaltender either Brett Murphy (from the Junior A SIJHL) or Austin DeBoer (who played one game for the Junior B Selkirk Fishermen last year, and had a shutout, after playing for the Junior A Selkirk Steelers).

Of the 6 unannounced newcomers who do not play goal, three have major junior experience. Brett Davis played just 5 games for Manitoba Moose in the AHL last year. That followed 4 seasons in the WHL with Lethbridge, Kootenay, and Red Deer. He wore the "A" twice in that tour of duty. Duncan Pierce split time between the Regina Pats and Brandon Wheat Kings. He split two seasons between the Junior A Portage Terriers and WHL before two full seasons in the WHL. Garrett Sambrook played just three games for the Junior A Virden Oil Capitals last year. The previous 4 years were split between the Oil Kings, Brandon Wheat Kings, and Swift Current Broncos. I'll do a complete roster review and delve into the new recruits a bit more ASAP.

Here's the Bison roster, along with a list of departures:

1 Jeremy Link G - returnee
2 Samuel Stewart D - 2020 recruit
4 Tyler Anderson D - new - several players with this name at Elite Prospects
5 Liam Schioler D - returnee
6 Mitch Dyck D - returnee
8 Connor Barley F - returnee
9 Dylan Thiessen F - returnee
10 Devon Skoleski F - returnee
11 Ryan Carlson F/D - returnee
13 Andre Sutter F - new from Switzerland: Elite Prospects
15 Ben Dalke F - returnee
20 Tony Apetagon F - returnee
21 Noah Basarab F - 2020 recruit
22 Hayden Ostir F - 2020 recruit
24 Duncan Pierce F - new from Brandon Wheat Kings: Elite Prospects
25 Garrett Sambrook D - new from Virden Oil Capitals: Elite Prospects
27 Carter Doerksen D - returnee
28 Codey Behun F - new from Steinbach Pistons: Elite Prospects
29 Mike King F - 2021 recruit
35 Brett Murphy G - new from Dryden Ice Dogs: Elite Prospects

Scratches
3 Reese Harsch D - 2020 recruit
12 Keaton Jameson F - returnee
14 Geordie Keane F - returnee
16 Chase Hartje D - 2020 recruit
17 Colton Veloso F - returnee
19 Nate Halvorsen F - returnee
23 Brett Davis F - new from Manitoba Moose: Elite Prospects
26 Linden McCorrister F - 2020 recruit
30 Liam Hughes G - 2020 recruit
34 Austin DeBoer G - new from Selkirk Fishermen: Elite Prospects

Departures - from 2020-21
13 Nicholas Labossiere F
28 Brady Pouteau D
29 Alec Malo - 2020 recruit

Departures - from 2019-20
2 Adam Henry D
3 Sean Christensen D
4 Matthew Stanley D
16 Josh Tripp F
18 Bradley Goethals F
21 Brian Harris F
22 Jeremey Leipsic F
25 Lucas Skrumeda D/F
26 Matthew LeBlanc F
29 Jonah Wasylak F
30 Riley Lamb G
35 Tyler Brown G

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4

Links:
➤ Summaries: LeagueStat : CW
➤ Game reports: LeagueStat : CW

The Evil Monkeys seem to have hit their stride. Matt Berlin got the win, stopping 22 of 23 shots. Brodan Salmond went the distance and took the loss, stopping 32 of 35 shots. The scene shifts to the Town of Bedrock for Saturday's rematch.

Macewan-nowords-black-50x50.jpg
MRU-blue-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 1
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 6

Links:

Nothing but the score uploaded so far. The rematch on Sunday in Edmontown will have live stats.

Victoria-shield-50x50.png

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS >
VICTORIA VIKINGS >

Links:

Neither team has posted anything yet. My guess is that the BCIHL site will be first off the mark.

OUT EAST

AUS-2016-50x50.jpg

Sept 24 Acadia 0 New Brunswick 4
Sept 24 St. FX 3 Moncton 2 (ot)

Links:

OUA-2016-50x50.jpg

no games

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 25: Bisons Come Up Short In Improved Performance

Manitoba-brown-50x50.jpg
Sask-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS 1
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3

Links:
➤ UofM: Schedule & Results

This game was played on neutral ground in Regina, so we had no home team. All we have on this one so far is a neat picture uploaded on Sask's Twitter.

21-09-25-Man-Sask.jpg

Alberta-hockey-50x50.jpg
Calgary-pre-2012-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 3
CALGARY DINOSAURS 2

Links:

In the Town of Bedrock they do not upload stuff, so this is all we have for now at least.

TrinityWestern-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
ubc-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3

Links:
➤ UBC: Team Site
➤ TWU: 2019 Game Story

Through two periods of play, Holy Trinity held a 2-0 lead in the first match-up of these teams as CW conference-mates. However, UBC poured it on in the 3rd, outshootin TWU 14-4 and outscoring them 3-0. This gives UBC a 2-0-0 record in the Captain's Cup, whilst TWU falls to 2-1-0. This was only the second confrontation for these two. In 2019, UBC won 5-3 (game story linked).

21-09-25-TWU-UBC.jpg

Victoria-shield-50x50.png

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 1
VICTORIA VIKINGS 3

Links:

This was a Friday night game, where the result was not made available until Saturday. Victoria is now 1-1-0 in the Captain's Cup, and Vancouver Island falls to 0-2-0.

Simon-Fraser-2019-50x50.jpg
Okanagan-Lakers-grey-50x50.jpg

SIMON FRASER CLAN 5
OKANAGAN LAKERS 1

Links:
➤ BCIHL: Boxscore

This was a schedule addition prompted by SFU's cancelled trip to Alaska. It was not part of the Captain's Cup.

OUT EAST

AUS-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

Sept 25 Dalhousie 0 New Brunswick 7
Sept 25 Saint Mary's 3 St. FX 2

Links:

OUA-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

Sept 25 Carleton at North Dundas Rockets - nothing posted

Links:
➤ Carlton: Team Site
➤ North Dundas: Team Site

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Obviously everyone is going to be keeping an eye on the Huskies because of Babcock behind the bench. It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in attendance not just at home games but during Huskies road games as well.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 26: Bison Recruiting Class

CW-2017-ManitobaBanner-116x73.jpg

The Bisons have yet to make any announcements and have not yet updated their roster page. So I rely on the roster page accompanying the CW summary on Friday night. Since the players recruited in 2020-21 never played any games, I will repost what was in last year's thread about those guys.

2020-21 recruiting class:

Chase Hartje - D - Moose Jaw/Winnipeg (WHL)

Hartje is another WHL defenceman on the Bison roster, having played in Moose Jaw, Brandon, Kootenay, moving to Winnipeg with the franchise, then back to Moose Jaw. He is originally from Bemidji, Minnesota. At 5'11" and 172 lbs he is smaller than the usual Bison d-man.

Links:
➤ Career Stats: Elite Prospects
➤ Our Sports Central: ICE Acquire '99-Born Defenceman Chase Hartje from the Wheat Kings

chase-hartje-450px.jpg

Hayden Ostir - C/RW - Swift Current (WHL)

Ostir is a Winnipeg boy coming home after making the rounds in the WHL, covering Spokane, Medicine Hat, and Swift Current over the last four years. His numbers in 2019-20 were 10-14-24. He is also 6'1" and 194 lbs. He also got a gold medal in the U-17s.

Links:
➤ SC Broncos: Graduation: Hayden Ostir
➤ Our Sports Central: Broncos Sign Hayden Ostir to SPA
➤ YouTube: Feb 2nd/17

hayden-ostir-450px.jpg

Liam Hughes - G - Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

But for one game in the AJHL, Hughes has played in the WHL for the last four years. After stops in Edmonton, Seattle, and Lethbridge, he backstopped the Winnipeg Ice in 2019-20. He had a 2.53 GAA, and a .914 S%.

Links:
➤ Lethbridge: Hughes Leaves Team
➤ WHL: ICE add Liam Hughes & Ty Ettinger to roster

liam-hughes-450px.jpg

Noah Basarab - F - Johnstown (NAHL)

Basarab is a Gimli boy who went south after having played for Swan Valley and Selkirk in the MJHL. His stats were 16-12-28 in 2019-20.

Links:
➤ Johnstown Tomahawks: Noah Basarab Named NAHL Bauer Division Star of the Week
➤ Daily American: Athlete of the Week
➤ Tribune-Democrat: Tomahawks trio clicks in win over Black Bears

noah-basarab-450px.jpg

Reece Harsch - D - Winnipeg Ice (WHL)

Having a WHL team in town is paying some recruiting dividends this year, as the Bisons land another d-man in Harsch. He is 6'4" and 201 lbs and wore an "A" in 2019-20.

Links:
➤ Winnipeg Ice: Winnipeg ICE acquire 2019 second overall pick and Reece Harsch in multi-team trade
➤ YouTube: Feb 25/18 : Sept 19/17

Reece-Harsch-450.jpg

Sam Stewart - D - Tri-City/Edmonton (WHL)

Stewart is another big d-man (6' 190 lbs) from Manitoba coming home for university. He finished 2019-20 with the Edmonton Oil Kings after four years with the Tri-City Americans, with a couple of stints with the Neepawa Natives in the MJHL.

Links:
➤ WHL: MJHL-WHL Prospect Watch - Sam Stewart, Neepawa Natives

sam-stewart-450px.jpg

Linden McCorrister - LW - Brandon (WHL)/Regina (CW)

The Bisons needed better forwards in 2019-20 and here's one. He's 6'1" and 190 lbs. As a teen, he played on Team Manitoba in aboriginal hockey. In four seasons with the Wheat Kings he ended as an assistant captain for two seasons. Articles describe a strong 2-way player, but he has decent offensive numbers in the WHL. In 2017-18 he played 59 games and was 20-23-43, plus 5-9-14 in 11 playoff games. In 2018-19 he played 45 games and was 14-15-29. For some reason, the Peguis native went to Regina to play for the Banjo-Cats in 2019-20, where he only played 4 games and had one assist. So I guess 2020-21 was his redshirt season.

Links:
➤ Career Stats: Elite Prospects : Hockey DB
➤ Wheat Kings: McCORRISTER LOOKING TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION

Linden-Mc-Corrister-450px.jpg

One other player, Alec Malo, was recruited via the Flin Flon Bombers (SJHL) and Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL). He is not on this year's roster.

2021-22 recruiting class:

Michael King - C - Spokane (WHL)/Steinbach (MJHL)

I posted about him on June 28th (above) when he was the only new Bison listed on Elite Prospects and 49-sport.com.

Links:
➤ Career Stats: Elite Prospects : Hockey DB
➤ Spokane Chiefs: Chiefs Acquire Forward Michael King from Kootenay
➤ Spokane Chiefs: Meet the Chiefs: #19 Michael King
➤ Spokane Chiefs: Michael King and James Porter Released
➤ Steinbach Pistons: King Commits to University of Manitoba
➤ Hockey Fights: Michael King vs Kaden Kohle Dec 31, 2019 : YT

michael-king-450.jpg

Brett Davis - RW - Manitoba Moose (AHL)

Davis is a 6'1" winger from Oak Bank, Manitoba. He played just 5 games last year with the Manitoba Moose on an ATO, after having a productive career with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Kootenay Ice, and Red Deer Rebels of the WHL. He wore the "A" in both Kootenay and Red Deer. In his final junior season (2019-20) he was a combined 25-24-49 in 57 games. He had been drafted by the Dallas Stars in the 6th round of the 2017 entry draft. His uncle Kelly Davis once playd for the Cincinnati Stingers in the WHA.

Links:
➤ Career Stats: Elite Prospects : NHL.com
➤ Media: Hockey Reference : Hockey Fights
➤ Game On: Local Product Brett Davis Rewarded With Amateur Tryout From Moose

Brett-Davis-450pxw.jpg

Duncan Pierce - RW - Regina/Brandon (WHL)

Pierce is a 6'1" Winnipeg boy coming home. He never played last year. He had two full seasons in the WHL, preceded by two seasons split between the WHL and MJHL and one split between the WHL and Midget AAA. There are lots of fight videos in the links. In his last season of junior his stats were 8-14-22 in 58 games. It seems from the press clippings that his hard-nosed style was viewed quite favourably.

Links:
➤ Media: HockeyFights : YouTube
➤ Our Sports Central: Pats Acquire Caiden Daley from Brandon for Duncan Pierce
➤ Leader-Post: Regina Pats' Duncan Pierce finding his niche
➤ Leader-Post: Pats prospect Duncan Pierce in the right place at the right time

Duncan-Pierce-450pxw.jpg

Garrett Sambrook - D - Virden Oil Capitals (MJHL)

Samrook is a 6'0" defenceman from Medora, Manitoba. He broke into the WHL with the Brandon Wheat Kings as a 16 year-old in 2016-17. He then split 2017-18 between Brandon and Virden, and 2018-19 between the Swift Current Broncos and Virden. He spent 2019-20 in Swift Current before coming home last year for the abbreviated season. Earlier in his junior days he had health issues, later diagnosed as epilepsy.

Links:
➤ Empire-Advance: Oil Caps, Leslie play big roles in Sambrook’s career
➤ Oilcaps: Sambrook joins Oil Caps
➤ YouTube: Manitoba Sports Network (interview)
➤ YouTube: Virden Oil Capitals (interview)

Garrett-Sambrook-450pxw.jpg

Tyler Anderson - D - St. Cloud State (NCAA)

So I did a search of this name and found a long list of players born in the late '90s and early 2000s. I narrowed the list to two possible players.

Tyler Anderson #1 is a 6'2" 24 year old defenceman from Winnipeg. He played Junior A for the Steinbach Pistons, followed by 4 years at St. Cloud State (NCAA), one of which he played no games.

Tyler Anderson #2 is a 6'4" 25 year old defenceman from Niverville. His junior was split between the SJHL and BCHL, followed by three seasons with Lake Superior State (NCAA). He did not play last year.

I searched the various articles and Tyler #1 is the correct one. He wanted to attend med school this year, but did not get in.

Links:
➤ Career Stats for #1: Elite Prospects
➤ Career Stats for #2: Elite Prospects
➤ Centre Ice View: Former Husky Tyler Anderson Now a Manitoba Bison
➤ SCSU: Player Page
➤ SC Times: Winnipeg defenseman plans to join SCSU this fall

Tyler-Anderson-450pxw.jpg

Cody Behun - F - Steinbach (MJHL)

Behun is a Winnipeg native who split his junior career between the Winnipeg Blues and Steinbach Pistons. He played just 8 games last year, and racked up 10 points.

Links:
➤ Game On: Pistons, Blues Make Monster 10-Player Trade

Cody-Behun-450pxw.jpg

Brett Murphy - G - Dryden Ice Dogs (SIJHL)

Murphy is a Winnipegger who came up through the AAA ranks, played one season for thye Fort Garry/Fort Rouge Twins in the MMJHL (.930 S%, 2.56 GAA) before heading east to play Junior A in Dryden. He only got two games last year. He is listed as a "returning player" in Dryden.

Links:
➤ CKDR: Ice Dogs July Preview: Returning Players

Brett-Murphy.jpg

Andre Sutter - F - Ramperswil (U20-Top) & EHC Seewen (MSL))

This is not an Alberta Sutter. This one has roots in BC and Switzerland. He last played in Canada in 2017-18 in the Junior B VIJHL. I do not know where the Swiss leagues fit into hockey's scheme of things. Last year he had 16 points in 10 junior games and no points in 4 senior games.

Links:
➤ NCSA: Andre Sutter - ‘18 Recruiting Profile
➤ YouTube: Andre Sutter Highlight Video 2018-19

Andre-Sutter-450px.jpg

Austin DeBoer - G - Selkirk Fishermen (CRJHL)

My guess is that DeBoer is trying to become the 3rd string goaltender. He played just one game last year for the Junior B Fishermen, and recorded a shutout. He had previously played for the Junior A Selkirk Steelers.

Links:
➤ Career Stats: Elite Prospects : CRJHL

Austin-De-Boer-450pxw.jpg

Here is the Bison Training Camp Roster, which includes the highest level league in which he has played:

Bisons-Training-Camp-Roster-ed.jpg

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Obviously everyone is going to be keeping an eye on the Huskies because of Babcock behind the bench. It will be interesting to see if there is a spike in attendance not just at home games but during Huskies road games as well.
When Hayley Wickenheiser played for Calgary she had little impact. Babcock is drawing more attention than the team in Saskatown right now.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sept 26: MacEwan Chalk Up First CW Win

MRU-1970-50x50.jpg
Macewan-L-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4
MACEWAN GRIFFINS 5
(in overtime)

Links:
➤ MacU: Comrie's OT winner delivers 5-4 win for Griffins over MRU in first preseason home game

I was able to catch this game on CanadaWest.tv. There was no commentary for the first few minutes. Mac held leads of 2-0 and 4-2, with MRU rallying both times. In fact, they scored with just over 2 minutes left to make it 4-3 and then with 14 seconds left to force overtime. This was a wide-open game, with MRU holding a 42-32 edge in shots.

Okanagan-Lakers-lightorange-50x50.jpg

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS 9
OKANAGAN LAKERS 0

Links:
➤ VIU: Facebook

Remember, the Lakers are not part of the Champions Cup, so this was a stand-alone exhibition game.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Preview: Oct 1-2: Border closure means no trip to North Dakota

Manitoba-gold-50-X50.jpg
North-Dakota-2016-50x50-green.jpg

This was supposed to be the weekend with a massive amount of Usports teams heading to the Excited States to face NCAA opposition. The Bisons were to have faced the North Dakota Flickertails /Fighting Sioux / Fighting Hawks on Saturday. But the border issues have put the kybosh on that plan. Some teams were able to line up alternative opposition, but some (like the Bisons) will just get an unwanted bye. Regina and Trinity Western will also have weekend byes, though I never saw either one on an NCAA schedule.

The next exhibition games for the Bisons will be on October 8th and 9th when Regina comes to town to end the pre-season.

ELSEWHERE IN THE CW

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (2-3-0)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (2-1-1)

Links:
➤ Seven Chiefs: Web Site
➤ Winsport: Web Site
➤ Live video: Saturday Game

In the Town of Bedrock the cross-town rivals have two games scheduled, both on neutral ice. Friday's game will be at the Winsport Arena (last year's Covid-inspired home of curling) and Saturday's will be at the Seven Chiefs Sportsplex located in the Tsuut'ina Nation (to the immediate west of Calgary). Check out the links.

The Seven Chiefs Complex looks better than what many universities have. Two indoor hockey rinks, one outdoor covered rink, and facilities for basketball and other gym sports. It is just an 11 minute car ride from Mount Royal University.

Winsport has also hosted lots of Hockey Canada events, including Team Canada Juniors vs. Usports All-stars games. It is a massive facility and our winter Olympians train there for several different sports.

Calgary beat SAIT, split with Saskatchewan, then were swept by Alberta. MRU split with both Alberta and Macewan (with an OTL).

I have not seen any links for live stats as yet. However, the stream of the Saturday game is a nice bonus.

Seven-Chiefs-Arena.jpg

Seven Chiefs Arena

Winsport-Arena.jpg

Winsport Arena

Macewan-nowords-maroon-50x50.jpg
Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS (1-1-0)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (5-1-0)

Links:

This is the weekend of battles of cross-town rivals in Saudi Alberta. The Evil Monkeys and Mythical Mutants will battle for glory in Edmontown. As far as I know, no special venues for either contest. I have not seen any links for live stats or CanadaWest.tv coverage. Alberta usually does do live stats at least, and both teams have streamed home games on CanadaWest.tv.

Briercrest-blue-50x50.jpg
Sask-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

BRIERCREST CLIPPERS (0-1-0)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (3-1-0)

Links:
➤ BC: Team Web Site

Briercrest is traditionally in the lower echelons of the ACAC and this weekend they step up a couple of levels to face their interprovincial rivals. The ACAC has a rather disjointed pre-season. Lots of teams are playing then taking back-to-back weekends off. Expect local news stories from Saskatown quoting Babcock!

viu-mariners-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

VANCOUVER ISLAND MARINERS (3-2-0)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (2-0-0)

Victoria-2012-lightblue-50x50.jpg
UBC-yellow-50x50.jpg

VICTORIA VIKINGS (1-2-1)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (2-0-0)

Links:
➤ VIU: Team Site
➤ LiveStats Friday: CW Hockey Tech : LeagueStat
➤ LiveStats Saturday: CW Hockey Tech : LeagueStat

These games are part of BC's Captain's Cup series. Simon Fraser and UBC basically just swap opponents from Friday to Saturday. Here's the event in a nutshell:
21-09-29-Captains-Cup.jpg

UBC will be uploading live stats for both of their games. No word on CanadaWest.tv coverage yet.

ACAC-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ACAC
Oct 2 Augustana at Red Deer Poly

Links:
ACAC S&R

OUT EAST

OUA-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ONTARIO

no games

AUS-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

Sept 28 Moncton 4 UPEI 3 (ot)
Sept 29 Acadia 3 Saint Mary's 2

Sept 30 Acadia at Dalhousie
Oct 1 UPEI at Moncton
Oct 2 Saint Mary's v St. FX (at Truro)
Oct 2 Moncton at New Brunswick

Links:
USp Presto S&R
OUA LS Daily
AUS S&R

UQAM-blue-50x50.jpg

Back in 2019 there was a report about the Molson family donating $1 million to UQAM to get a hockey team going. I did a follow-up search and found a story about them getting ready for as early as 2022. One problem is finding a league. The OUA does not want them. They have some hopes of re-forming a Quebec league and are also talking to the AUS.

... the Ontario league warned UQAM that their team could not join its ranks.

"When we came up with our project in 2019, the Ontario league was undergoing a deep restructuring, and their goal was to reduce their number of teams, not increase them," explained the coordinator of the sports program. excellence of the citizens of UQAM, Daniel Methot.

Asked about the possibility of creating a division in Quebec, the RSEQ's hockey development and operations manager, Stephane Auger, did not want to go too far.

"Everyone agrees that the ideal would be to have a Quebec university league eventually, but it is perhaps more of a medium-term objective", according to him.

The former National Hockey League referee did not want to further detail the target schedule, nor the criteria that would be essential to the creation of such a division, but he is of the opinion that a Quebec university league would be beneficial for the development of players in the province.

In addition to working with the RSEQ, Daniel Methot confirmed that UQAM has also had discussions with teams from the Maritimes, which have their own league.
So, the OUA wants to downsize? This is crazy. We need more teams on more campuses. The provincial bodies in BC and now Quebec are seemingly doing their part. Time for Hockey Canada to wield some influence.

Links:
➤ UQAM: 2019 in French : Translation: Towards the creation of a hockey team
➤ UQAM: 2021 in French : Translation: No hockey at UQAM before 2022

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad