Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part III - June 26th Lottery Confirmed by League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Who do you want at 4 if Laf, Byfield and stutzle are off the table. Rossi/Perfetti?

Me personally? I've been very high on Rossi all year. So if I am GM and I have the 4th pick, I'd consider Raymond or Rossi.

Or you work the phones, and see what you can get for the 4th pick. Let's say the Sens have the 6th pick, I would trade the 4th for the 6th and an additional pick. I'd push hard for the 6th and the Islanders first round pick that Ottawa owns, but I highly doubt they would make that trade. I think I would trade pick 4 in exchange for picks 6 and 33.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
rayskate.gif

Why wait until 4 is the real question

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't want anything to do with Drysdale. We have our RHD set in stone for the next 10-15 years. Why should we draft another RHD? There are only so many minutes to go around, so unless one of Seider or Hronek (or Drysdale) are comfortable playing the left side (which I guess is possible) then it's a hard pass from me on Drysdale.
Hronek and Seider have already been playing on their left side. So adding Drysdale is a No Brainer for me. Can never have enough RD on the team.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Me personally? I've been very high on Rossi all year. So if I am GM and I have the 4th pick, I'd consider Raymond or Rossi.

Or you work the phones, and see what you can get for the 4th pick. Let's say the Sens have the 6th pick, I would trade the 4th for the 6th and an additional pick. I'd push hard for the 6th and the Islanders first round pick that Ottawa owns, but I highly doubt they would make that trade. I think I would trade pick 4 in exchange for picks 6 and 32.
We own 32 you probably mean 33 or 34.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have a big problem with the 8 teams getting five games and then the same odds in terms of draw. Sorry nobody signed up for that and I think it swung pretty hard in terms of the NHL protecting teams that really don't deserve a shot in this. We will see, I will pickup the same narrative next season too. The NHL in early May acknowledged this system isn't fixing some of the issues they hoped for, I hope they at least make that switch going into next year. It might not benefit us, but don't spend all your press conferences talking about parity and then wildly react to Edmonton and Buffalo the way they did. Heck it hasn't stopped New Jersey from happening anyway. I hope they just go back to the old system, you can make the odds a little different, but +4 or +5 and one winner is where I land if we are having a lottery. I hope that system returns in 2021.

The League leaked the first one for reaction and it changed to this. I don't think they are changing, but since the NHL at least has hinted at strongly they are listening and worried, I have no problem hammering them on this and I hope our entire fan-base does. You want to be worried about upsetting Montreal's minuscule chances at this fine, but try doing it behind closed doors and stop being a Mickey Mouse league. If Toronto or Pittsburgh get this pick I am going to be through the roof angry. How was that better than the worst team in 30 years having odds at 1st or 2nd their original idea. Oh well, it is over now. But yeah I have some issues with this.

I just don't see any material difference from how the draft works if the season had played out normally. I get not liking the lotto draft, I don't like it, either. I'm for them just doing away with the draft entirely and going straight from the standings. But, from the Wings perspective, this is pretty much the same as what they would have gotten under normal conditions.

I was hoping it would have been better for those teams who don't even have a shot at the playoffs, and considering I hate the normal lottery odds, reminding me that they exist is grounds for me throwing a hissy fit.

I was hoping we'd benefit from it,too. But if we walk into the draft with the same odds that we would have under normal conditions...well, it's what we wanted by pushing this team to rebuild. I never had big expectations for the draft, though, so maybe I'm just more indifferent towards it. I fully expect two teams to jump over half a dozen spots, and push us truly horribly teams out of the top spots.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I just tried out this draft simulator at draftprospectshockey.com (draftsim)

After the first couple of picks I realised that I don't know nearly enough about most of these prospects to do this. So just for everybody's entertainment here are my picks for the Red Wings. lol

4. C - Marco Rossi
32. LD - Emil Andrae
54. RD - Helge Grans
58. RW - Veeti Miettinen
63. LW - Roby Jarventie
65. LD - Tyler Kleven
116. C - Landon Slaggert
125. LW - Yegor Sokolov
156. G - Jan Bednar
185. G - Amir Miftakhov

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Raymond is tough for me to get a read on. Obviously he's displayed high-end vision and skill in international tournaments, but there's not a ton to sink your teeth into from his season at Frolunda. I know that's not entirely in his control, but it does make me a bit hesitant to take him top 4, especially with the talent available at center and defense.

I see some shades of Zegras in Raymond, which I like, but ultimately I see a higher upside in Zegras (admittedly biased, I've seen more of the USNTDP).

If Raymond is our guy I'll trust Hakan and his team, but I think drafting Raymond in the top 4 is a bit rich for my taste.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Raymond is tough for me to get a read on. Obviously he's displayed high-end vision and skill in international tournaments, but there's not a ton to sink your teeth into from his season at Frolunda. I know that's not entirely in his control, but it does make me a bit hesitant to take him top 4, especially with the talent available at center and defense.

I see some shades of Zegras in Raymond, which I like, but ultimately I see a higher upside in Zegras (admittedly biased, I've seen more of the USNTDP).

If Raymond is our guy I'll trust Hakan and his team, but I think drafting Raymond in the top 4 is a bit rich for my taste.

His situation is the only reason he is an option at #4 though, IMO. If he was given bigger minutes I think he would be in the conversation at 2/3.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

What center talent are you talking about exactly?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don’t care who plays RD on this team. If we leave the draft with drysdale I will be ecstatic. And I will totally forget about this stupid lottery.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Pronman released his top prospects list today:

Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects

Top 3 is Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle in that order. Drysdale also at 7.
I was surprised to see that just about all the dmen slotted in for our 32nd pick on this board were ranked around there (Guhle, Andrae, Niemela, Cormier) or well lower in the 50-70 range (Wallinder, Grans Mukhamadullin, Kuznetsov, O'Rourke, Jurmo). You'd hope it means they'll be there, but I'd imagine as teams draft for position need, we'll see a forward fall to 32 instead.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I find it very interesting that so many have Stutzle leaps and bounds over Raymond. Stutzle definitely produced more this year but he wasn’t playing bottom 6 like Raymond. Only thing that makes me pause is that he might be able to be a center but didn’t in the games/breakdowns I’ve seen.

Kind of off topic a little but what cap dumps would you try acquire for draft capitol?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
At the end of the day I think my top 6 is:
Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Raymond
Rossi
Perfetti

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, I agree at 4th we will get a solid prospect, but to me there is a big drop off after Laf, Byfield, Stutzle. If we don't win 1st overall, the hockey Gods should at least reward us with a top 3 pick. If we pick 4th though, and Laf, Byfield and Stutzle are gone, I will be extremely nervous when Yzerman is walking up to the podium. I could honestly see him "shocking" everyone again, by taking Askarov.

Yeah I'd prefer 1st or 2nd to 3rd or 4th really heavily. Personally my tiers look like:
Laf
------
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
---------
Raymond etc.

and thus you'd expect that I'd be okay with 4. Really I'm not though because I have no idea who we'd take at 3 or 4 and an Askarov or other reach starts to scare me in those spots. At 2 I'm confident we're taking Byfield or Stutzle. At 4 I'm worried I have to talk myself into liking Perfetti afterward (more lack of exposure than anything tbh).

I'm all aboard the Drysdale train though. I think avoiding him because we had a rookie Hronek survive on the top pairing, and Seider playing well in the AHL is nuts. We need talent and Drysdale would instantly be our best prospect. I'd also feel that way about Raymond, but I'd rather have Zadina than Rossi. If all three RHD develop really well (which is way less likely than we'd like to admit), then we can look into someone playing their off-side or trading one. Let's wait until we have more than one competent defenseman before we start avoiding the position as one of strength.

He's so very talented. I think he's going to be a tremendous player and would instantly be our best prospect. The combination of poise, vision and skating is going to be such a treat to watch in the NHL. So if we we're definitely taking one of
Laf, Byfield, Stutzle, or Drysdale- I honestly don't care very much which we get. I'm terrified of ending up at 4 and taking someone else though (I'd be super pumped about Raymond too).

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I don't want anything to do with Drysdale. We have our RHD set in stone for the next 10-15 years. Why should we draft another RHD? There are only so many minutes to go around, so unless one of Seider or Hronek (or Drysdale) are comfortable playing the left side (which I guess is possible) then it's a hard pass from me on Drysdale.

Set for the next 10-15 years? Sheesh.

Seider has yet to play a game in the NHL and Hronek seems to be projecting as a capable 2nd pair Dman, but that's not someone I'm ready to pen in for the next decade.

We're not set anywhere. That's the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad