Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part III - June 26th Lottery Confirmed by League

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well I said we would put up a new thread when we had news.....

tenor.gif

I was hoping for better news and still 31 days until we know if we get screwed by the ping-pong balls... Yippee!

Anyway continue the discussion.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I want to continue the positive news by telling TZE that the Wings will take Marco Rossi at 4th overall. And reveal that they had Askarov on their Do Not Draft list, for the reason that he is a goalie, and that is the only reason.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Back to the old thread point towards the end. I would not be disappointed with Drysdale at all.

I think he is a dynamic skater and while I appreciate we have a nice stable of right-handed guys all of a sudden, they also aren't certainties. He would be the best offensive guy of that bunch by a significant margin and yes that includes Hronek in my opinion. He also allows you to trade perhaps from a position of strength but if he is the best player on our board at #4 or #3 I expect he is who Yzerman will select.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I shouldn't be surprised that the league royally effed this up (and the Wings) - it's their M.O. but I am. So disappointed. Fool me two hundred times...

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
so...our odds at the first pick won't change from a normal season, and the lowest we could fall is the lowest we would have fell under normal circumstances? I get people being unhappy we didn't get a draft unexpectedly tilted (severely) in our favor, but this sounds like what a lot of folks were signing up for from the start.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
so...our odds at the first pick won't change from a normal season, and the lowest we could fall is the lowest we would have fell under normal circumstances? I get people being unhappy we didn't get a draft unexpectedly tilted (severely) in our favor, but this sounds like what a lot of folks were signing up for from the start.

I have a big problem with the 8 teams getting five games and then the same odds in terms of draw. Sorry nobody signed up for that and I think it swung pretty hard in terms of the NHL protecting teams that really don't deserve a shot in this. We will see, I will pickup the same narrative next season too. The NHL in early May acknowledged this system isn't fixing some of the issues they hoped for, I hope they at least make that switch going into next year. It might not benefit us, but don't spend all your press conferences talking about parity and then wildly react to Edmonton and Buffalo the way they did. Heck it hasn't stopped New Jersey from happening anyway. I hope they just go back to the old system, you can make the odds a little different, but +4 or +5 and one winner is where I land if we are having a lottery. I hope that system returns in 2021.

The League leaked the first one for reaction and it changed to this. I don't think they are changing, but since the NHL at least has hinted at strongly they are listening and worried, I have no problem hammering them on this and I hope our entire fan-base does. You want to be worried about upsetting Montreal's minuscule chances at this fine, but try doing it behind closed doors and stop being a Mickey Mouse league. If Toronto or Pittsburgh get this pick I am going to be through the roof angry. How was that better than the worst team in 30 years having odds at 1st or 2nd their original idea. Oh well, it is over now. But yeah I have some issues with this.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Really annoying news. You know at least 2 non playoff teams will knock out legit playoff teams, and then they get decent odds as well in the lottery. Totally bogus. Just take the top 16 now, and do everything else normally. At most they could have had a best of 3 for the teams that were close to teh playoffs against the wildcard teams, and skip all this 24 team nonsense and teams getting a shot at playoffs and lottery. We were likely picking 4th anyway, but I at least hoped they were going with the 7 team draft lottery where we were guaranteed no lower than 2nd.

I am saying now, I won't be happy with just 4th as good as that player may be, after the crappy season we got to watch, and with how few new players actually got to play and play well.

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What makes everything worse is that Ottawa actually has better odds because they have two picks.

I’m genuinely not excited and expect another shitty draft. I think it’s an awful format and it baffles me it was agreed upon. At this rate we’re always go to be bad.

Guess I’ll have to start seeing who’s available at 7thOA

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
What makes everything worse is that Ottawa actually has better odds because they have two picks.

I’m genuinely not excited and expect another shitty draft. I think it’s an awful format and it baffles me it was agreed upon. At this rate we’re always go to be bad.

Guess I’ll have to start seeing who’s available at 7thOA

Why? The lowest we can draft is 4 OA

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There isn't a single redeeming quality in this entire pile of crap.

Screw the top teams by making 70 games mean less than a quick round robin? Check.

Screw the bottom feeders by giving the play-in losers a shot to win the lottery? Check.

Screw the best players by robbing them of the last 12 games for stat chasing (Ovechkin hitting 50 goals in particular)? Check.

Screw the fans of the contenders by opening up the list of hub cities to markets of bubble teams (Columbus, Minnesota, Chicago, Vancouver) and even a basement club in Los Angeles? Check.

In the last three months, my entire sports watching intake has consisted of a couple of NASCAR races and the first round of the NFL Draft...

... and in one fell swoop, Bettman and Company have left me wanting absolutely nothing to do with either the playoffs or the draft lottery.

Kudos, nitwits. Yet another opportunity flushed away. Back to video games for me until the Wings are on the clock.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
As a Sens fan, are you guys as pissed as you are about this?

Well now i am definitely expecting the Sens to draft 5 and 6. I just want one top 3 pick for f***s sake.

I don't even care where in the top 3, they just need one of their picks to land in the top 3.

I wouldn't at all mind if Detroit got 1st overall cause you guys deserve it.

But here we stand where teams like Edmonton and Pittsburgh could end up having a chance at 1st overall.

I am not even going to watch the lottery on the 26 cause i just know it will just anger me.

The NHL totally f***ed everything up. It is f***ing the top teams with a round robin. It is f***ing teams like the Pens and Oilers with a play in series. And it is f***ing the bottom 7 teams with the lottery. This whole 24 playoff format is a sham.

And you know why this is happening? Money. It is all about money.

Last edited:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
As a Sens fan, are you guys as pissed as you are about this?

Well now i am definitely expecting the Sens to draft 5 and 6. I just want one top 3 pick for f***s sake.

I don't even care where in the top 3, they just need one of their picks to land in the top 3.

I wouldn't at all mind if Detroit got 1st overall cause you guys deserve it.

But here we stand where teams like Edmonton and Pittsburgh could end up having a chance at 1st overall.

I am not even going to watch the lottery on the 26 cause i just know it will just anger me.

The NHL totally f***ed everything up. It is f***ing the top teams with a round robin. It is f***ing teams like the Pens and Oilers with a play in series. And it is f***ing the bottom 7 teams with the lottery. This whole 24 playoff format is a sham.

And you know why this is happening? Money. It is all about money.

Detroit fans are fuming right now. After this dumpster fire season there are chances Ottawa and Detroit are getting screwed over.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit fans are fuming right now. After this dumpster fire season there are chances Ottawa and Detroit are getting screwed over.

Would be probably more pissed as Ottawa fan, if they drop 3 positions after the lottery with both picks (currently 2nd+3rd).

So, Detroit could drop as low as 4th, but Ottawa could drop to 5th and 6th.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Well I said we would put up a new thread when we had news.....

tenor.gif

I was hoping for better news and still 31 days until we know if we get screwed by the ping-pong balls... Yippee!

Anyway continue the discussion.
It is not "if," but "when." And now we know exactly when.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Screw the top teams by making 70 games mean less than a quick round robin? Check.

Screw the bottom feeders by giving the play-in losers a shot to win the lottery? Check.

Screw the best players by robbing them of the last 12 games for stat chasing (Ovechkin hitting 50 goals in particular)? Check.

Screw the fans of the contenders by opening up the list of hub cities to markets of bubble teams (Columbus, Minnesota, Chicago, Vancouver) and even a basement club in Los Angeles? Check.

In the last three months, my entire sports watching intake has consisted of a couple of NASCAR races and the first round of the NFL Draft...

... and in one fell swoop, Bettman and Company have left me wanting absolutely nothing to do with either the playoffs or the draft lottery.

Kudos, nitwits. Yet another opportunity flushed away. Back to video games for me until the Wings are on the clock.

The whole round robin tournament thing is BS to begin with.

Yes, the bottom 7 teams are mathematically eliminated from the postseason but so what? Those teams not playing costs them AND THE LEAGUE revenue. The way the current CBA is set up is the players and owners get a 50/50 split each. Exempting any team from play, even ones as bad as Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo reduces this revenue.
What should have been done is each team play up to the same number of games, then determine final standings from that point and start the playoffs in the normal format. Most teams were 69-71 games before the shutdown. I think each team hitting 76 games in a condensed schedule would be more than fair to the teams getting hot and climbing into the playoff picture to make their final push.

I'm also worried about this round robin tournament setting a bad precedent. The NHL isn't learning the lesson that too much of a good thing is bad. Look at the over-saturation of outdoor games lately. They make the winter classic all but meaningless. I don't have enough faith in league management to believe they won't think that this is a good system moving forward.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

So. Much. Sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad