Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread: Part III - June 26th Lottery Confirmed by League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
This is massive amounts of BS. They allow teams a shot at the playoffs and if that fails they get a shot at a top draft pick. Either all teams should get a shot at playoffs or the draft lottery should be only for those teams that do not get a chance.

At least we get to draft whoever if left over after the 3 good players have been drafted.

Reactions: hkydave04

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
The whole round robin tournament thing is BS to begin with.

Yes, the bottom 7 teams are mathematically eliminated from the postseason but so what? Those teams not playing costs them AND THE LEAGUE revenue. The way the current CBA is set up is the players and owners get a 50/50 split each. Exempting any team from play, even ones as bad as Detroit, Ottawa and Buffalo reduces this revenue.
What should have been done is each team play up to the same number of games, then determine final standings from that point and start the playoffs in the normal format. Most teams were 69-71 games before the shutdown. I think each team hitting 76 games in a condensed schedule would be more than fair to the teams getting hot and climbing into the playoff picture to make their final push.

I'm also worried about this round robin tournament setting a bad precedent. The NHL isn't learning the lesson that too much of a good thing is bad. Look at the over-saturation of outdoor games lately. They make the winter classic all but meaningless. I don't have enough faith in league management to believe they won't think that this is a good system moving forward.

How would they gain revenue by playing if they can't play with fans in the seats?

And put away the tinfoil hat. This is a one off occurrence due to the pandemic.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
This is massive amounts of BS. They allow teams a shot at the playoffs and if that fails they get a shot at a top draft pick. Either all teams should get a shot at playoffs or the draft lottery should be only for those teams that do not get a chance.

At least we get to draft whoever if left over after the 3 good players have been drafted.

The Wings WILL get a good player at 4 if that is where they end up drafting.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pronman released his top prospects list today:

Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects

Top 3 is Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle in that order. Drysdale also at 7.

I will add that to my Average list and then publish the whole list.

Interesting takes with high picks.

- Consensus TOP4 was same vs. my average. (Laf, Byf, Stutz, Raymond)
- Askarov highest (8th) than at any rank
- Same for Connor Zary (10th), his highest was 12th before on other ranks.
- Mercer also highest position vs. any other (11th), but only by 1.
- Brendan Brisson very high (14th) vs. any other rank before. 28th was highest before and average at ~49th.
- Lundell 16th.
- Jacob Perreault highest (17th) vs. any before by 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christien

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
so...our odds at the first pick won't change from a normal season, and the lowest we could fall is the lowest we would have fell under normal circumstances? I get people being unhappy we didn't get a draft unexpectedly tilted (severely) in our favor, but this sounds like what a lot of folks were signing up for from the start.
I was hoping it would have been better for those teams who don't even have a shot at the playoffs, and considering I hate the normal lottery odds, reminding me that they exist is grounds for me throwing a hissy fit.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Also some article considered the hypothetical if Pittsburgh lost their play-in and then won the lottery due to the weird odds...

They could have Crosby, Malkin, AND Lafreniere.

f*** right off with that.

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
I get the 2 phase lottery but what if the Wings get the 1st pick in the 1st phase and a playoff team gets the 2nd or 3rd pick, which would make a 2nd phase necessary. In the 2nd phase would the Wings still get to keep the 1st pick? Or does it all get reshuffled again and we could end up at 4?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I get the 2 phase lottery but what if the Wings get the 1st pick in the 1st phase and a playoff team gets the 2nd or 3rd pick, which would make a 2nd phase necessary. In the 2nd phase would the Wings still get to keep the 1st pick? Or does it all get reshuffled again and we could end up at 4?

In your scenario, the Wings stay #1. The second phase would only determine whatever picks were won by the placeholder team.

Reactions: hkydave04
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
After being extremely angry and upset yesterday, having slept on the news, my views have changed slightly. The fact that we have the exact same odds as we would have had in a normal season is fine. What we really should be pissed off about is the lottery in itself that is in place. Being the worst team in the league by a wide margin, you would think the league would want to set you up to get a real good player, but statistically speaking, we're picking 4th.

I'm fine that our odds didn't change, because in reality, these would be our odds if this whole pandemic never happened. The frustrating thing is how ridiculous the odds are to begin with. I don't know how the league is happy with the current lottery. I don't understand how a professional league is content with having this much luck in the lottery. It's silly that last year a team like Chicago gets lucky, and drafts a better player than we do. The lottery system needs to change, teams will only improve if they get lucky.

Now, the ridiculous thing is that some teams *could* still be playing playoff hockey (or play-in, what the **** is the difference, I don't give a **** about changing the terminology from "playoff" to "play in", the play-in round is the start of the playoffs. The NHL isn't fooling us with this nonsense, everyone with a brain realizes that the playoffs are starting with the play-ins. It makes no sense having teams playing meaningful games, with the mindset of "hey, if we lose this series, we get a 12.5% chance at 1st overall!" There is a 24% chance that the 1st overall pick will go to a team in the "play in" round, and that's complete horse****.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
After being extremely angry and upset yesterday, having slept on the news, my views have changed slightly. The fact that we have the exact same odds as we would have had in a normal season is fine. What we really should be pissed off about is the lottery in itself that is in place. Being the worst team in the league by a wide margin, you would think the league would want to set you up to get a real good player, but statistically speaking, we're picking 4th.

I'm fine that our odds didn't change, because in reality, these would be our odds if this whole pandemic never happened. The frustrating thing is how ridiculous the odds are to begin with. I don't know how the league is happy with the current lottery. I don't understand how a professional league is content with having this much luck in the lottery. It's silly that last year a team like Chicago gets lucky, and drafts a better player than we do. The lottery system needs to change, teams will only improve if they get lucky.

Now, the ridiculous thing is that some teams *could* still be playing playoff hockey (or play-in, what the **** is the difference, I don't give a **** about changing the terminology from "playoff" to "play in", the play-in round is the start of the playoffs. The NHL isn't fooling us with this nonsense, everyone with a brain realizes that the playoffs are starting with the play-ins. It makes no sense having teams playing meaningful games, with the mindset of "hey, if we lose this series, we get a 12.5% chance at 1st overall!" There is a 24% chance that the 1st overall pick will go to a team in the "play in" round, and that's complete horse****.
Yeah I mean I'm not fuming about this. I think that if you think the lottery is fine, that what they've done is mostly reasonable. Not perfect, but no solution would be. That being said, the lottery is terrible. It would have been awesome if the pandemic lead to the lottery getting fixed, the thinnest of silver linings.

I would also like to just say that while it's too bad we're not in a better position, we will get a fantastic prospect regardless.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Pronman released his top prospects list today:

Pronman's 2020 NHL Draft Board: Top 122 prospects

Top 3 is Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle in that order. Drysdale also at 7.

I am not a Pronman fan but agree with much of this. Personally I think I like Holloway, Wallinder, Jurmo, Robins, O'Rourke and Torgersson MUCH more than he does. He always seems to rank a ton of Russians for better or worse which makes his ranking somewhat more difficult to digest. I give him props though for his top five, his Wiesblatt ranking and for having Wyatt Kaiser at 85 (a really good player I wanted to target in the mid to late rounds).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would love it if we drafted Bordeleau and Smilanic in the 2nd round, especially if our first pick is a winger or defenseman.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am not a Pronman fan but agree with much of this. Personally I think I like Holloway, Wallinder, Jurmo, Robins, O'Rourke and Torgersson MUCH more than he does. He always seems to rank a ton of Russians for better or worse which makes his ranking somewhat more difficult to digest. I give him props though for his top five, his Wiesblatt ranking and for having Wyatt Kaiser at 85 (a really good player I wanted to target in the mid to late rounds).

I like where he has Zary and Mercer. I had an issue with the Lundell and Wallinder ranking, I think they both deserve to be a lot higher than where they are.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah I mean I'm not fuming about this. I think that if you think the lottery is fine, that what they've done is mostly reasonable. Not perfect, but no solution would be. That being said, the lottery is terrible. It would have been awesome if the pandemic lead to the lottery getting fixed, the thinnest of silver linings.

I would also like to just say that while it's too bad we're not in a better position, we will get a fantastic prospect regardless.

Yeah, I agree at 4th we will get a solid prospect, but to me there is a big drop off after Laf, Byfield, Stutzle. If we don't win 1st overall, the hockey Gods should at least reward us with a top 3 pick. If we pick 4th though, and Laf, Byfield and Stutzle are gone, I will be extremely nervous when Yzerman is walking up to the podium. I could honestly see him "shocking" everyone again, by taking Askarov.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
i’m all ready for Drysdale

I don't want anything to do with Drysdale. We have our RHD set in stone for the next 10-15 years. Why should we draft another RHD? There are only so many minutes to go around, so unless one of Seider or Hronek (or Drysdale) are comfortable playing the left side (which I guess is possible) then it's a hard pass from me on Drysdale.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I don't want anything to do with Drysdale. We have our RHD set in stone for the next 10-15 years. Why should we draft another RHD? There are only so many minutes to go around, so unless one of Seider or Hronek (or Drysdale) are comfortable playing the left side (which I guess is possible) then it's a hard pass from me on Drysdale.
Who do you want at 4 if Laf, Byfield and stutzle are off the table. Rossi/Perfetti?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who do you want at 4 if Laf, Byfield and stutzle are off the table. Rossi/Perfetti?

rayskate.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad