Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yes it is. Now, this factors in several things happening:

1) Avs cap hit for Nichushkin is only 2M
2) Mittelstadt signs for 6M
3) Drouin signs for no more than 3.8M (if he comes in lower, Mittelstadt can be higher)
4) 4LW is 775K such as Kiviranta and Wagner plays 4C
5) Avs run a 21 man roster with a F/D hybrid like Caleb Jones being the healthy scratch rather than 22.
21 man roster with no cap space can be a major headache for teams when injuries occur, I don't know if the Avs are willing to go there.

If they do your lineup is not unrealistic.

Only tweaks I'd so is Ritchie will play, Mitts will make a bit under 6 and Drouin will be at 4M minimum.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hmm? I disagree. Guentzel will be Carolina's high paid winger and Toronto don't need Necas, they need defense and goaltending.

Now Marner to Nashville makes a ton more sense.
Marner is what they need and not Guentzel. Marner is an elite winger and Guentzel is another good 1st line piece, but not elite. Marner has had his struggles in the playoffs, but he's wouldn't be the first or last to find that switch on a different team (see Cheese). Guentzel and his contract would be a large mistake for Carolina IMO. Seal the good, but not great team for the long term.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Marner is what they need and not Guentzel. Marner is an elite winger and Guentzel is another good 1st line piece, but not elite. Marner has had his struggles in the playoffs, but he's wouldn't be the first or last to find that switch on a different team (see Cheese). Guentzel and his contract would be a large mistake for Carolina IMO. Seal the good, but not great team for the long term.
I don't disagree but they are reportedly already working on a Guentzel deal.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Sorry, not sorry.

Colton+2024 1st

Grieg
Chychrun @ 50%
Screenshot_20240520-185911.png

Last edited:

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Need to bring back, sign right now
- Mitts (RFA)
- Drouin

Be nice to bring back, if cap allows
- Trenin
- JMFJ
- Duhaime

Depth fillers to bring back, call-ups when needed
- Kivi
- Olofsson
- Tufte
- Polin (RFA)
- Jones
- Prosvetov

Let walk via UFA
- Walker

Retire
- Parise
- Cogliano

For the start of the season, if Landeskog is good to play, I don't know how to make it work. Even my contracts to Mitts and Drouin are team friendly. A 4m 3C seems like a luxury Avs can't really afford.

Attachments

• 89189189189.jpg
    89189189189.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 5

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Need to bring back, sign right now
- Mitts (RFA)
- Drouin

Be nice to bring back, if cap allows
- Trenin
- JMFJ
- Duhaime

Depth fillers to bring back, call-ups when needed
- Kivi
- Olofsson
- Tufte
- Polin (RFA)
- Jones
- Prosvetov

Let walk via UFA
- Walker

Retire
- Parise
- Cogliano

For the start of the season, if Landeskog is good to play, I don't know how to make it work. Even my contracts to Mitts and Drouin are team friendly. A 4m 3C seems like a luxury Avs can't really afford.

I mean, there's absolutely no reason to bring back Trenin at $2M to be the 4C, or Duhaime at $1.2M to be a 4LW.

Both of those roster spots should be filled by league minimum, or at most $1M players. We can simply buy another Trenin/Duhaime at next years deadline for 3rd round picks if we need too. And quite frankly it's probably a good time to give some younger guys a real chance to earn those slots.

Honestly if they manage to get rid of Nukes cap hit entirely(Doubtful but for arguments sake), this summer gets extremely easy to manage cap wise.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We really don’t need Trenin, Duhaime and Walker back. I mean if there was cap space, I’d love to have them back, but there is no cap space. Drouin is more of a priority to bring back than those 3

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Next season is the most critical part. In that deal, the difference would be 1mil. Not enough to solve our cap issues. The cap is going to increase very sharply, that should take care of the Rantanen extension.

So, we would still be forced to trade someone else besides Rantanen for next season. As for 2025 onwards, if you think Terry + additional 5,5mil player is better than having Rantanen, sure. I don't agree, but we all have our opinions.

How is it only $1M? $9.25-7 = 2.25M... You don't count Mintyukov. He's another roster slot filled and done so for under $1M.

It would save $2.25M on Mikko's roster spot. That's a lot for next year.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Once you have been put in the PAP, I don’t think you have a “probation” or you can go back in levels. I have not found much that I can back that up. I base this off the nfl and how they work through it. Von miller?

Anybody know where I can read up on this.

The only thing I can find is that a player can leave the pap only when checked off from the doctor's. Which is different from the discipline portion of it?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Negotiating their way out of Val's contract or putting him on LTIR probably allows Drouin to come back.

JJ should be brought back. He only cost league min to sign this year so they should be able to get him for that again. Whether he's the cheap #6 they need or a #7, they probably won't find a better option at league min.

Feels like Cogs may retire, but I'd still take him back at league min. Even if just for his leadership. I'd also like to see him pull a Parise, and take the first half of the year off to refresh for the stretch run/playoffs.

My preference would be for them to tweak the makeup of the D core a bit, but that may be unlikely, so I expect to see something along the lines of this to start next season.

Avs-2024-25.png

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Landy situation needs to be resolved next season or the Avs gonna find themselves in the same spot. If he’s back then all good, if not then they really need to replace him and name a new captain.

Avs used Landy’s LTIR to get players, but none of them replaced him. You can get all the depth players you want but no one is gonna bring what Landy brings. If he’s not coming back, we need a legit top 6 winger. Drouin has been good but he’s no Landy either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Landy situation needs to be resolved next season or the Avs gonna find themselves in the same spot. If he’s back then all good, if not then they really need to replace him and name a new captain.

Avs used Landy’s LTIR to get players, but none of them replaced him. You can get all the depth players you want but no one is gonna bring what Landy brings. If he’s not coming back, we need a legit top 6 winger. Drouin has been good but he’s no Landy either.
It's going to be resolved but it will have to wait until next season. Landeskog will be at training camp, that timeline puts him at 16 months which is the end of his recovery from the surgery.

If he's good to go, he'll play. If he's not, then he'll go on LTIR the rest of his career and the Avs will use that money to find a different player. Either way, the Avs will have clarity - they just have to wait until training camp and plan the offseason as if he will be back.

It will obviously be a down year if he can't come back, we lose Nichushkin and we miss out on UFAs because of his Summer cap hit. But that's the risk the org is willing to take for Landeskog to return.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I would like Trenin back personally. If we are hell-bent against keeping him at C I think he could sub-in for Colton during the season at 3C, but he's most effective at LW. He's like a Nuke-lite if he could work on his foot-speed. I like the flexibility he gives us at F and think he wouldn't look out of place in a checking role in the top 2 lines. I don't think he got a look there primarily just because our only other C option was Wagner.

Ritchie could take 4C duties potentially or just sign one. I'd like to move Wood, but if not he should be on the 4th line come playoff time ideally. Trenin is better than Wood at 3LW IMO, or even move Trenin to 3C and put Colton back on the Wing

Duhaime didn't get much ice but he also didn't show me much in crunch time, no reason to keep him or Walker. Trenin and Drouin would the 2 guys I'd keep, and still explore Mikko deals.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mitts - Lehkonen
Colton/Trenin/Wood/LOC/Kovalenko/Ritchie/Kivi/Foudy
I think you can afford to lose Colton from that list for cap purposes. Saves us about 2M prob

Kovalenko - Trenin - LOC
Wood - Ritchie/UFA - Kiviranta/Foudy/UFA

If Landeskog can't go, keep Colton and put him on Mitts wing to start.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would like Trenin back personally. If we are hell-bent against keeping him at C I think he could sub-in for Colton during the season at 3C, but he's most effective at LW. He's like a Nuke-lite if he could work on his foot-speed. I like the flexibility he gives us at F and think he wouldn't look out of place in a checking role in the top 2 lines. I don't think he got a look there primarily just because our only other C option was Wagner.

Ritchie could take 4C duties potentially or just sign one. I'd like to move Wood, but if not he should be on the 4th line come playoff time ideally. Trenin is better than Wood at 3LW IMO, or even move Trenin to 3C and put Colton back on the Wing

Duhaime didn't get much ice but he also didn't show me much in crunch time, no reason to keep him or Walker. Trenin and Drouin would the 2 guys I'd keep, and still explore Mikko deals.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mitts - Lehkonen
Colton/Trenin/Wood/LOC/Kovalenko/Ritchie/Kivi/Foudy
I think you can afford to lose Colton from that list for cap purposes. Saves us about 2M prob

Kovalenko - Trenin - LOC
Wood - Ritchie/UFA - Kiviranta/Foudy/UFA

If Landeskog can't go, keep Colton and put him on Mitts wing to start.
I don’t really want Trenin back. He was good in some respects but ultimately I found him way too slow to be an effective player for the Avs. I don't think Duhaime is as good a player and yet IMO he accomplished more.

Reactions: henchman21

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
IMO the Avs roster next season looks like this:

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Drouin
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - Rantanen :DD

Because if you (we?) don't trade Rantanen :eek3:, you are once again hamstringing the team's depth and accepting that yes, you will be top heavy.

IMO Rantanen should stay. Why should the AVS be without a top player for the playoffs? Top heavy has been successful for us. We got our second line center. We did good. Beat Jets and was close to the Stars. Such is sport.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Which is exactly why we need to trade him and re-tool the team.
If you think that Rantanen is the best way to solve our cap issues then fine, I'm ok to explore that option. If you think that this team will be improved by swapping Rantanen for two or three lesser players, wrong. Unless you trade him for a guy like Saros, who is a difference maker in that position.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t really want Trenin back. He was good in some respects but ultimately I found him way too slow to be an effective player for the Avs. I don't think Duhaime is as good a player and yet IMO he accomplished more.
And Trenin might be more of a Bambi than Rants.

Target more IQ over big and fast for the bottom 6.

Reactions: Pokecheque

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I mean, there's absolutely no reason to bring back Trenin at $2M to be the 4C, or Duhaime at $1.2M to be a 4LW.

Both of those roster spots should be filled by league minimum, or at most $1M players. We can simply buy another Trenin/Duhaime at next years deadline for 3rd round picks if we need too. And quite frankly it's probably a good time to give some younger guys a real chance to earn those slots.

Honestly if they manage to get rid of Nukes cap hit entirely(Doubtful but for arguments sake), this summer gets extremely easy to manage cap wise.
We've talked pretty extensively about the notion that the Avs have to cut a $3-4M to fit Mitts in, debating about whether they should dump Lehkonen, Girard, or Manson.

I admit that when we were having those debates, I was not considering Nichushkin's salary as the one they could create space with. But it's quite viable now. It all depends on what garbage cap hit the Avs are going to have to carry forward.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad