NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XV [We got 3-5]

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
You guys want to take a late bloomer or a shutdown D at number five in this draft, cool. They do not have the same odds as four other guys of becoming best or close to best in this draft. We'll likely be bad next year but there is no guarantee we pick in the top five again for awhile. This is where you build a franchise, with guys who have shown it their whole career, not guys you hope will become the best versions of themselves based on small sample sizes.
I don’t know if you are trying to be controversial or if you are just .......

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
You guys want to take a late bloomer or a shutdown D at number five in this draft, cool. They do not have the same odds as four other guys of becoming best or close to best in this draft. We'll likely be bad next year but there is no guarantee we pick in the top five again for awhile. This is where you build a franchise, with guys who have shown it their whole career, not guys you hope will become the best versions of themselves based on small sample sizes.

Yeah, that Karlsson guy was a terrible pick. The guy wasn't anywhere close to a first rounder in the beginning of his draft year.

Reactions: Sensators

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I don’t know if you are trying to be controversial or if you are just .......
I'm not trying to be controversial, controversial would be if I said I'm happy the draft is tomorrow because by Wednesday you guys would be talking about taking Pashin at 5.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You really need to actually watch some games and stop looking at stats only. Or actually read what other posters are writting and have an open mind. Believe it or not you might be wrong on this one, the majority appear to dissagree with your takes. This draft is really deep on the top end, claiming you know more than everyone else who appears to have been researching these prospects alot longer than you isnt the best look. People are literally proving your points wrong post by post.

Reactions: BondraTime

H2O

Sep 18, 2005

Can you back up your opinion, you seem so sure. Don’t pick a late bloomer because there’s no precedence of them working out? The late bloomer we picked #6 overall in 2011 looks pretty good right about now.. Was Stevie Y wrong to pick BOTH a late bloomer and a shutdown D last year?

Reactions: bert

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
You really need to actually watch some games and stop looking at stats only. Or actually read what other posters are writting and have an open mind. Believe it or not you might be wrong on this one, the majority appear to dissagree with your takes. This draft is really deep on the top end, claiming you know more than everyone else who appears to have been researching these prospects alot longer than you isnt the best look. People are literally proving your points wrong post by post.
Jack Quinn:
Ranked #16 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #20 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #10 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #7 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #10 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #7 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #17 by DOBBERPROSPECTS/ROBINSON
Ranked #12 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #10 by TSN/McKenzie

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Their whole career? You realize these kids are 17 and 18 years old right?

How they played when they were 15 or 16 is not nearly as important as how they progressed in the last 6-12 months.

Every single kid in a draft is being evaluated based on a small sample size. That’s why top 5 picks bust, and 6th rounders turn into franchise players.

Tim Stutzle was barely a top 10 prospect before Christmas. 3 months later, he was a consensus top 3 choice.

You draft a player based on a projection of what he’ll become, not what he’s been.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah and their are 12/13 elite players in the draft. Do some research. Also who takes pride in 'triggering' someone, even when they werent 'triggered' to begin with.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I actually would too. Quality over quantity. Quinn is firmly in that 3rd tier of 4-12.

I completely agree... But not 5 picks worth of quantity for 1 pick imo. Absolutely no doubt Quinn with be a stud but id take my chances that a few of the picks would hit

Reactions: H2O

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Yeah and their are 12/13 elite players in the draft. Do some research. Also who takes pride in 'triggering' someone, even when they werent 'triggered' to begin with.
Bert, you're darting around here a lot. You said my points are being disproven - my main point is taking Quinn at 5 is a reach and all of the major drafting agencies support that. So I'm not sure I see where you're coming from.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Their whole career? You realize these kids are 17 and 18 years old right?

How they played when they were 15 or 16 is not nearly as important as how they progressed in the last 6-12 months.

Every single kid in a draft is being evaluated based on a small sample size. That’s why top 5 picks bust, and 6th rounders turn into franchise players.

Tim Stutzle was barely a top 10 prospect before Christmas. 3 months later, he was a consensus top 3 choice.

You draft a player based on a projection of what he’ll become, not what he’s been.

I agree with your Stützle point more than you know. To your last point, although there's no perfect algorithm to drafting, past performance is still the best indicator of future success.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Eh, two elite dmen is a nice problem to have, just ask anahiem in 2007,

That might be a bit of a reach though...I just want our team to have a 1C and a legit #2C playing on the same team for once, mind you drafting 2 forwards/centers also doesn't guarantee that either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bert, you're darting around here a lot. You said my points are being disproven - my main point is taking Quinn at 5 is a reach and all of the major drafting agencies support that. So I'm not sure I see where you're coming from.
Its not a reach though its a bad point. I am not darting anywhere I am just familiar with this draft class. It appears you started to research it what this weekend? How many 67 games have you gone to the past two years.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Start of FA which we wont do shit in, How much Melnyk sucks, How much we will suck next year. Fun topics
It’s the fans fault, Melnyk started it, Dorion said Strudel when drafting Stutzle, the rink should be downtown and of course Colin White.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I just hope all the hype about this draft being so deep are legit.

Maybe I'm overthinking things...but that 5th overall is starting to worry me. I'm not entirely sure anymore who we get in that 4-10 group is a guaranteed win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad