NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XV [We got 3-5]

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Hope we get another good sound bite out of Dorion. I also wonder how much Button's mock has changed from June?

This was a link / headline on Sportsnet 650
"Ed Jovanovski: 'Jim Benning's got a little work ahead of him. He's a smart guy and he'll make the right decisions.'

Ever hear anything like this about Dorion?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I hope we keep the 5th for the reason that I'm more confident we'll take Raymond or Sanderson, either of whom I'd be excited to get.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I can think of at least 3 players that would be way worse case scenario than Rossi. If Raymond is gone at #4, I would be thrilled to grab Rossi at #5. I have made up my mind that I want two forwards, so best of luck to whoever drafts Sanderson and Drysdale.
Read my posts after this

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
7 out of the 9 defensemen Tampa had listed on their roster were above 6'2. 6 were over 210 lbs. None were under 6'0.

Tampa had tons of skill, yes. But they were also a big team on the back-end. And at forward, they went out after the sweep last year and added a ton of sandpaper with Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow and Pat Maroon.

on defense they were, but they had big skilled dmen, Sergachev Hedman McDonagh all move and handle the puck well, not big ogres that cant make a play.

also on offense, their smaller players carried the load, they added some sand paper but they dont win shit w/o their skilled stars, also Coleman isnt really « big » but he plays big. I am not sure I agree with what’s written here at times. IMO you need a mix, but game these days is based on skills and a lot of these skilled players are small but don’t necessarily play small.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensators

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Edwards: Stutzle is closer to Lafreniere at #1 than Byfield is to Stutzle at #2

Worth a listen. I bought and read their Draft Black Book and even though some of the rankings might seem controversial (Sanderson 5, Quinn 6, Jarvis 7, Raymond 8, Schneider 11, Drysdale 12) I still think it's a very good write up of the draft and detailed explanations.

My draft scenarios, depending on who LA/DET pick:

Byfield + Raymond/Quinn

or

Stutzle + Sanderson/Rossi

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Certainly, but at the same time, since 2010, with a total of 64 picks, only 6 have been less than 6ft.

91% of our picks since 2010 have been 6ft or bigger, that's not a coincidence.
Well statistically speaking it seems like the vast majority of elite/superstar players are in the 5'10/5'11 to the 6'2 range. I am not sure if you checked the heights at the time of being drafted but prospects that were 5'10 or 5'11 could have easily grown to 6' plus.

Personally I agree with the Sens in targeting bigger players. I also like that they also value compete higher than size. There was a period of time after 2007 where they drafted, traded for and signed plenty of players with size that were soft. Maybe they thought they could teach them to compete harder and develop a mean streak but it never worked out. I detest big players that are soft and am very skeptical that a prospect that plays soft can ever develop that compete level and aggressiveness. I am also a fan of smaller players that are hyper competitive and aggressive.

But looking through past drafts it doesn't look like we missed out on many players by not drafting players under 6 feet.
2010: none
2011: Vincent Trocheck, Johnny Gaudreau
2012: Alex Kerfoot
2013: none
2014: Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson
2015: Travis Konecny
2016: none
2017, 2018, 2019: none as of this point

Even of those players listed we don't know what the Sens thought of them, where they had them ranked and whether they were unwilling to draft them simply because their size. In the vast majority of cases where the Sens missed out on a prospect who ended up being a better NHL player they 6' and in many cases well above 6'. Arguably they have suffered nearly no negative consequences as a result of any potential bias they have towards taller players. Whatever prospects they missed out on drafting were due to other factors than size.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well statistically speaking it seems like the vast majority of elite/superstar players are in the 5'10/5'11 to the 6'2 range. I am not sure if you checked the heights at the time of being drafted but prospects that were 5'10 or 5'11 could have easily grown to 6' plus.

Personally I agree with the Sens in targeting bigger players. I also like that they also value compete higher than size. There was a period of time after 2007 where they drafted, traded for and signed plenty of players with size that were soft. Maybe they thought they could teach them to compete harder and develop a mean streak but it never worked out. I detest big players that are soft and am very skeptical that a prospect that plays soft can ever develop that compete level and aggressiveness. I am also a fan of smaller players that are hyper competitive and aggressive.

But looking through past drafts it doesn't look like we missed out on many players by not drafting players under 6 feet.
2010: none
2011: Vincent Trocheck, Johnny Gaudreau
2012: Alex Kerfoot
2013: none
2014: Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson
2015: Travis Konecny
2016: none
2017, 2018, 2019: none as of this point

Even of those players listed we don't know what the Sens thought of them, where they had them ranked and whether they were unwilling to draft them simply because their size. In the vast majority of cases where the Sens missed out on a prospect who ended up being a better NHL player they 6' and in many cases well above 6'. Arguably they have suffered nearly no negative consequences as a result of any potential bias they have towards taller players. Whatever prospects they missed out on drafting were due to other factors than size.
That’s heights at the time of being drafted. McCormick, Dunn, Prince, Pageau, Crookshank, Dahlen. Dunn is listed at 6ft now.

I’m not saying there’s a negative to it, or a positive, I’m saying that it is very clearly something that’s apart of the drafting process for the Sens. A 91% case from a 64 size sample is a very clear trend.

Will they draft guys smaller than 6ft? Absolutely. But “odds” are that they will be taking guys above 6ft if there isn’t a clear best player to them where they are picking.

I guarantee the Sens take Newhook last year if he’s there at 19, they really liked him, regardless of his size.

We’re likely to have a clear majority of our 13 picks this year be 6ft or more, which isn’t strange, most prospects are 6ft. A number like 6/64 is strange though.

Leafs drafted 6 sub 6ft players last draft, with 6 picks. We've picked 6/64 since 2010. 2 different approaches and trends. I'd imagine that is 15-20% or so lower than the league average in that time frame.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Edwards: Stutzle is closer to Lafreniere at #1 than Byfield is to Stutzle at #2

Worth a listen. I bought and read their Draft Black Book and even though some of the rankings might seem controversial (Sanderson 5, Quinn 6, Jarvis 7, Raymond 8, Schneider 11, Drysdale 12) I still think it's a very good write up of the draft and detailed explanations.

My draft scenarios, depending on who LA/DET pick:

Byfield + Raymond/Quinn

or

Stutzle + Sanderson/Rossi

Yeah, I'm praying LA goes for the "next Kopitar" in Byfield and passes on Stutzle, who is the real superstar in this top-3.....

Ok maybe the *other* real superstar.....

That other superstar being Marco Rossi ofc.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Over the last 30 years, about 57% of forwards drafted were/are 6'1" or taller. Over the same time frame, about 11% of the forwards drafted were/are 5'10" or shorter. I don't think we have drafted many 5'10" or shorter forwards over any recent time frame. That isn't a comment on the goodness or badness of drafting small players. It's just an observation.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB and DJB

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
I hope Byfield is there at #3.

Size and skill down the middle is hard to defend.
It would also be fascinating if somewhere down the road they had him go Bryson DeChambeau, and bulk up to 240-250 lbs with that big frame, and be like old days Chara in front of the net on the powerplay.
Add another huge winger, and it could be Legion of Doom Part II. Would be a refreshing change from the bland little lineups of recent days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad