NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XV [We got 3-5]

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think there are a few things that could happen at 5 but I believe these are the two most likely scenarios.

Sanderson is there at 5 the sens take him.

If Detroit takes Sanderson. I see the sens trading down with Jersey. The deal looks something like 5 and 28 for 7 and 18/20 might be a few other moving parts.

With 7 the sens take Raymond or Quinn.

At 3 I honestly dont care who they get Byfield or Stutzle. Gun to my head to who i prefer I take the German.

He had 13 in 22 to start the season. His improvement is incredible and should improve much more with added strength.
He got better every game. The upward trajectory was pretty incredible to see the progression. The more confidence he got the better he played. Very fun player to watch. He has alot of Pasternak and Oshie in him. High compete with alot of skill.

Last edited:

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...way too much....why on earth should we sacrifice our youth and potential picks for Ehlers??? 20 ish goals a season...60 points tops...we could get a better player for that amount of capital.

I agree its too much but ehlers is an 80 point player the second he gets the opportunity imo.. they use him so poorly.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stutzle and Perfetti is my final guess

It would give us all the high end offensive talent that we need up front to build a winner. We will need to supplement them with secondary scorers like Batherson, Norris and hopefully some others like White, Brown and Formenton.

But with Tkachuk already up front that will give us 3 legit first line players - which is realistically all a team can afford in a cap world without sacrificing somewhere else in the lineup.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Stutzle/Byfield and Raymond/Perfetti that’s probably most likely who we get. How do you folks feel about trading our 2nd round pick and the 28th pick for something in the earlier 20’s to try to snag if possible Hendricks Lapierre. It would be a savage draft if we got him.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Not sure I agree with the critics on Quinn, the kid hasnt trained until he was 16 years old. So much potential with added strenght combined with his skills. I still want Byfield/Stutz and Raymond personnally but I think Quinn will become a very solid player.

Reactions: Sensators

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
I think there are a few things that could happen at 5 but I believe these are the two most likely scenarios.

Sanderson is there at 5 the sens take him.

If Detroit takes Sanderson. I see the sens trading down with Jersey. The deal looks something like 5 and 28 for 7 and 18/20 might be a few other moving parts.

With 7 the sens take Raymond or Quinn.

This is one of two scenarios that I see potentially see playing out.

First scenario: no matter what, I think LA takes Timmy and we select Byfield with the 3rd. Amazing! After that, I think Detroit picks Perfetti and we walk away with Sanderson with our 5th. If I had to bet, this is how I would guess things play out. Also, in this scenario, we trade away the 28th pick for a youngish roster player and we target Evangelista or Foerster with our 33rd.

That being said, Stevie Y is the wild card. Who knows what he's going to do? He could go against the grain and take a potential franchise goalie in Askarov, or he could solidify his defense and take Sanderson at 4. This leads me to the 2nd scenario.

Second scenario: as mentioned, we select Byfield with the 3rd pick and lock up a franchise center. Couldn't be happier! After that, Stevie Y screws us over and takes Sanderson with the 4th pick. Dorion then gets on the phone and we trade down with Jersey and select Raymond/Quinn as you mentioned. I think Jersey is hot for Drysdale and they want to get a leg up on Anaheim, so Dorion might be able to squeeze the 18th pick out of them (as opposed to the 20th). I have no idea who we would pick at 18 in this scenario, but I personally hope it's something like Perreault, Reichel, Lapierre, or maybe Amirov or Mercer if available. If we lose out on Sanderson at 5, then maybe we look at Grans or Wallinder at 33. As much as I love Sanderson, a 1st round of Byfield, Raymond, Reichel, and Grans at 33 would be an amazing consolation prize.

Is it 7pm yet?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Terrifies me to hear about 28th being traded when we can still get a likely top 6 forward or defender in Peterka/Gunler/Mysak/Barron/Finnish guy.

I really hope its for impact player. Praying its package for someone like Serg (i know).

Reactions: Sweatred

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yea but my point is we could just keep both. Hope whatever we do with 28 is to trade up or get impact player. Not middling redundant asset.
It depends what we trade it for. We can't have a team full of inexperienced NHLers and veterans who are "just there". At some point we need to add an established NHL player who can actually contribute.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Alright. Eve of the draft. I'm sticking with a Stutzle/Sanderson prediction.
Kinda prefer Byfield though. I'll be happy as long as we don't go way off the board. Tons of great options.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

First scenario: no matter what, I think LA takes Timmy and we select Byfield with the 3rd. Amazing! After that, I think Detroit picks Perfetti and we walk away with Sanderson with our 5th. If I had to bet, this is how I would guess things play out. Also, in this scenario, we trade away the 28th pick for a youngish roster player and we target Evangelista or Foerster with our 33rd.

That being said, Stevie Y is the wild card. Who knows what he's going to do? He could go against the grain and take a potential franchise goalie in Askarov, or he could solidify his defense and take Sanderson at 4. This leads me to the 2nd scenario.

Second scenario: as mentioned, we select Byfield with the 3rd pick and lock up a franchise center. Couldn't be happier! After that, Stevie Y screws us over and takes Sanderson with the 4th pick. Dorion then gets on the phone and we trade down with Jersey and select Raymond/Quinn as you mentioned. I think Jersey is hot for Drysdale and they want to get a leg up on Anaheim, so Dorion might be able to squeeze the 18th pick out of them (as opposed to the 20th). I have no idea who we would pick at 18 in this scenario, but I personally hope it's something like Perreault, Reichel, Lapierre, or maybe Amirov or Mercer if available. If we lose out on Sanderson at 5, then maybe we look at Grans or Wallinder at 33. As much as I love Sanderson, a 1st round of Byfield, Raymond, Reichel, and Grans at 33 would be an amazing consolation prize.

Is it 7pm yet?

Knowing Dorion and Mann and how they like size, skill, skating and character - and especially players that have all four of those things. And if they had their choice, Byfield and Sanderson would be their preferred guys.

But it will be interesting to see how things change if thats not an option for them. I can see them picking Raymond if they got Byfield (and Det takes Sanderson), but not if its Stutzle. I could see Quinn or even Perfetti getting the nod at that point.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Pretty sure that's exactly what I said. So was Hanifin if were getting technical. But maybe I'm missing your point..?

I guess my only point is that it makes their seasons harder to compare with Sanderson's, is all. And I would take all of their offensive numbers in the US development program with a bit of a grain of salt considering the disparity in talent now versus then.

And regardless of where they were to start their draft years, there is no denying that Sanderson has done enough to get himself into that conversation in the eyes of some people who have seen them all develop.

Personally I'm getting major Thomas Chabot vibes out of him - not at all in terms of style, but that hes a late riser and could emerge as a potential world class Dman and future first pairing stud.

Ask people in 2015 and most people would tell you that Chabots own teammate and fellow draftee Zboril was a better player. a
And he was ranked higher all year long.

But as the Sens scouts showed us, it's not just about where the player is at right at that moment. It's much more about where they're ultimately heading, and how fast they were going when the year finished.
You said due to their age Zach was in college. He was in college on spite of his age. I assumed this meant you were saying he was older than Sanderson.

Doesn’t make a difference.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So is the consensus that Dorion will trade 28th for a player? Or that he'll move up in the draft with it?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He doesn't do that, look at his past mocks and rankings

Craig’s List: Final Rankings - TSN.ca

TSN Hockey Final Mock Draft: Intrigue begins at No. 3

Only 1 year, but rankings were not very good, and mock was 3/30
I am not talking about Mock drafts. I am talking about how Button determines his list. He watches the players and he talks to scouts from around the world. Someone asked how a player could move up when they arent playing, and I explained because of his latest discussions with scouts. All the scouts have been scouring over tapes of the past year. If player X was projected to be a top pairing, but after watching all the tapes and watching how they react in different situations they say he is close to being a #1 D, they are going to change their position on a player. When Craig Button calls them and they say as a consensus that player X projects better than they thought back in April, he will change his own list to better reflect how the NHL scouts have players listed. This isnt about a mock draft.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So is the consensus that Dorion will trade 28th for a player? Or that he'll move up in the draft with it?
like I said before, after listening to Dorion in the interviews I think we only end up with draft picks today. We are going to end up with an NHL player that probably could have been gotten for a 3rd, but the other team kept salary because Melnyk is poor, so the team has to give up a 1st.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Is it 7pm yet?
I sure hope you're right about L.A I want #8 Timmy. Wont be upset about Byfield by any means but I like Stutzle more. His elite skill is incredible, skating, vision stick handling. His compete is off the charts and so is his motor. Non stop. I think he trumps Byfield in the character, consistency. He brings it every night.

Reactions: DJB and Crosside

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Had a dream last night that we traded back from 28 and up with our later 2nd round picks so that we had 4 early 2nd round picks. We were drafting electric guitars though. Seemed to like Fenders. I think this team will soon be really rocking! :yo:

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad