NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
yeah 17 overall and 2 seconds is pretty pricey for Quinn . expecially when A. there are so many decent to similar prosepcts in that mid first round range. and B. all the talent in the secon round.
It was our later 2 seconds and the NYI (21st) to move up to 14 to get Quinn. Personally that seems like a low price to move from 21 to 14 in the original scenario.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rossi quite clearly has better hockey IQ and vision though. Which I think most people would agree are the most important traits a hockey player can have.
For sure he does, but that doesnt mean he will be the better player it also doesnt mean that Quinn doesnt have high end IQ and vision either. He was a play maker last year, until he had to be a finisher this year. I am suprised after last season how much his offensive game changed, but thats what elite players do they adapt.

They were the two best players on the team by far and thats a big part of the reason why the 67's were so good this year they have two of the best players in the CHL. They could roll out two of the best lines in the league back to back. I really feel bad for the guys on that team they will likely never play on a team like that again. Especially feel for the overagers.

It was our later 2 seconds and the NYI (21st) to move up to 14 to get Quinn. Personally that seems like a low price to move from 21 to 14 in the original scenario.

Bingo, the assesment that there are similar players in the 21 to 60 range as Quinn is factually incorrect. He is closer to the top 10 then 20

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

That could be Quinn for Sanderson, Mysak, and Pytlik ... replace any name if you want ... it feels like a lot.

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I am going off what I have heard directly from scouts and the eye test has matched what they have said as well as the actual coaching staff on the 67's. Its not simply just my opinion. I am connected to a direct source on the team, I dont really care if you believe me or not.

Ok, let's face it - if you didn't care, you wouldn't profess to have an inside source. :)

And I've known various Sens brass for years, and also know they don't have any idea who the Sens like and don't like, other than Dorion, up until very close to the draft. Frankly, in March they haven't come close to consolidated their rankings yet, so Dorion might not even know whether Gunler is ahead of Quinn until they bring their scouts together (although he might have his own opinion). Their rankings are isolated mostly until May (probably move up this year though for obvious reasons). But if Ruutu loves Gunler, he'll get his chance to make his case relative to the case being made for Quinn by the OHL scout. Mann and Dorion will then weigh in and decide in consultation with both scouts.

And if you're telling me one of your sources is one of our scouts who has reports from both their OHL and Swedish scouts, well, it's possible, but I probably don't believe it. I've given many a beer to a Sens scout that was a friend I golfed with often, and he only gave me the inside baseball AFTER the draft. Used to drive me crazy. They hold those preferences down like Fort Knox and the dude would be fired for telling his best friend.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, let's face it - if you didn't care, you wouldn't profess to have an inside source. :)

And I've known various Sens brass for years, and also know they don't have any idea who the Sens like and don't like, other than Dorion, up until very close to the draft. Frankly, in March they haven't come close to consolidated their rankings yet, so Dorion might not even know whether Gunler is ahead of Quinn until they bring their scouts together (although he might have his own opinion). Their rankings are isolated mostly until May (probably move up this year though for obvious reasons). But if Ruutu loves Gunler, he'll get his chance to make his case relative to the case being made for Quinn by the OHL scout. Mann and Dorion will then weigh in and decide in consultation with both scouts.

And if you're telling me one of your sources is one of our scouts who has reports from both their OHL and Swedish scouts, well, it's possible, but I probably don't believe it. I've given many a beer to a Sens scout that was a friend I golfed with often, and he only gave me the inside baseball AFTER the draft. Used to drive me crazy. They hold those preferences down like Fort Knox and the dude would be fired for telling his best friend.

I have never heard any of the 67’s staff give anything other than wonderful/amazing assessments of their players, especially their draft eligible kids.

They are in their own bubble and in the business of recruiting the next kid.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have to wonder if the draft will even take place given what's going on, or whether they might consider doing it remotely somehow from every GM's office or work place.

On another note: Jack Quinn would be a very good pick in 2020 if he becomes available to the Sens, Ottawa could use another sniper on the right side. Stutzle (2) - Byfield (1) - Quinn (3) would be a pretty good 1st rd draft selections for the Sens & potentially an interesting future line.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, a 95%+ chance it is a virtual draft at this point IMO. Even if some social limits are lifted in 60 days, they are not piling kids and fans into an arena in 90 days.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I know Ottawa likes their “has taken his game to an extra level every year” guys, like Pinto. Jack Quinn is of course a great example for that but a realistic option in the 2nd round is Tyson Foerster. 23 points to 80. 6’1”, 194lbs. Played great at the CHL Top Prospects game.

I think the sky is the limit for the kid. He has a great shot.
Tyson Foerster at eliteprospects.com

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Hopefully with this many picks this year we take some risky or boom or bust players, like Hendrix Lapierre he was supposed to be a top 10 pick but ran into injury issues and would probably be available at the Isles pick, if he can recover it would be a great pick.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
depends whos there and whos gone.for quinn i dont think i woulds do it

also is that where we are currently with the Isles pick?> 21

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I know Ottawa likes their “has taken his game to an extra level every year” guys, like Pinto. Jack Quinn is of course a great example for that but a realistic option in the 2nd round is Tyson Foerster. 23 points to 80. 6’1”, 194lbs. Played great at the CHL Top Prospects game.

I think the sky is the limit for the kid. He has a great shot.
Tyson Foerster at eliteprospects.com

Totally agree. Look at his number relative to his team mates as well - he has almost as many assists as other team members have points. And he scored 36 goals too. I like Vierling a lot in Barrie too. #2 pick in the OHL draft behind Byfield who is finally getting ice time after getting traded to Barrie. Vierling might drop to the 3rd round, although I suspect he'll be a riser. Getting either of those guys would be great. Sneaky top 6 upside for sure.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Totally agree. Look at his number relative to his team mates as well - he has almost as many assists as other team members have points. And he scored 36 goals too. I like Vierling a lot in Barrie too. #2 pick in the OHL draft behind Byfield who is finally getting ice time after getting traded to Barrie. Vierling might drop to the 3rd round, although I suspect he'll be a riser. Getting either of those guys would be great. Sneaky top 6 upside for sure.
vierling and foerster are definitely great picks optically because you have to think next year theyre going to destroy the OHL. good for the sens hype train for sure.

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
There is one thing I want to prioritize this draft, the next drafts, and free agency, I want the sens to pick up people who can drive a line, the Matt Barzal/ Mark Stone's of the world who want the puck on their stick and can control a game

We have a bunch of really nice complimentary prospects and players right now, C. Brown, Tkachuk, Batherson, Duclair, white but none of them are the alpha dogs on their line

The prospects from this draft i see as that are Lafreniere, Stutzle, Rossi, maybe Raymond and Perfetti and then lower down would be Jarvis, Bourque, etc

Bubba Pilks

Jun 21, 2019

Yeah I really like both. I currently have Foerster at 17 (higher than most people) and Vierling at 38.

Would be pretty happy if those two are our 3rd and 4th picks.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow,
At least one NHL club has submitted a proposal featuring a tournament in which lottery teams would play for the first overall pick of the draft...

How does that make any sense? The whole problem is they can't play the games to finish off the season... Also, doesn't seem to make sense to have a lottery which is weighted by how bad you are to be converted into a tournament that rewards how good you are.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In this context, a tournament for the first overall pick is not a bad idea. I don't like it as a Senators fan, but I can see the merit.

I think if a tournament was handicapped heavily towards teams at the bottom of the standings, people would be a lot less against the idea. I'm not entirely sure how they do that. Maybe Detroit, Ottawa, etc have to win less games in series than Detroit, Montreal, or Columbus.

If we do not have to adhere to the trade deadline roster eligibility, a tournament with appropriate handicapping might work better for us than a draft lottery. We could call up players form our AHL team like Batherson, Balcers, Norris.

Cool, teams like San Jose would have absolutely zero incentive to play well.

This is why the tournament logistically wouldn't make sense. Arizona and San Jose don't own their picks. So they wouldn't be playing. Does that mean Ottawa and New Jersey then have to do double duty?

The most sensible solution would be an expanded playoff format. They should do a 26 team playoff with the first round being a play in round. I believe it was Elliott Friedman who brought up that some better teams don't like the idea of a bye, because it means that they have to go in cold against teams who have already played a round of hockey. To fix that, the 5 non-playoff teams could play an exhibition round against the teams who get a bye into the second round of the tournament.

The result of that would be a draft lottery between the five non-playoff teams. The playoff teams would then seed based on a combination of how early they are eliminated, and their 2020 season point percentage.

All the big US TV markets would end up with hockey. Detroit/Ottawa/Los Angeles/Anaheim would all get shots at the first overall pick. Teams who otherwise would have gotten a top 10 pick will still get one if they are eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. So it isn't like Montreal or Chicago or Buffalo will lose their high pick, unless they go on a run.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO this season will be cancelled. Draft lottery will be essentially the same.. perhaps tweaked by points% as of when it was shut down.
Post July 1 scenarios for playoffs mess with free agency so that would have to be factored in. Certain players would be effectively gone from the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad